• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

To book or not to book (CF, end of May)

JAMM

Time of past OR future Camino
Not enough
Hello all and thanks for the very useful information everyone has been posting; this is a fabulous resource.

My husband and I are walking with our two children (8 and 5) from outside Sarria to SDC starting on 24 May. We will be moving slowly (10-15km per day max), carrying our own bags and hoping to stay mostly in albergues. When we walked in April 2008, we stayed in Xunta places throughout and found all of them perfectly fine; there was no rush and nobody seemed to go without a bed. While we are hoping to replicate (part of) the experience, the situation is a bit different now: we will be much slower (probably arrive about 3-4pm), need four beds rather than two and the CF seems to have got busier than the London tube at peak time...

Is it over-optimistic/too risky/downright irresponsible to simply hope for Xunta beds in places like:
Portomarín?
Hospital da Cruz?
Ribadiso da Baixo?
Arca (O Pino)?

Any wisdom/live reports on recent experiences in the CF will much appreciated!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thank you Falcon - I think I did not express myself very clearly: I am aware that May is busy, that the last stretch is crowded and that one cannot book Xunta albergues but was hoping to find out whether the public places get full daily. A lot of people seem to favour private places. My inclination is to take a chance at least on half of the days but wanted to know whether those on the ground now or those who have travelled on similar dates in the past have seen full Xunta albergues regularly. I am not feeling particularly nervous but wanted to sound out everyone's wisdom is case my calm optimism is misplaced.

I will be in Ribadiso beginning next week and then may have a better sense of how things are. My guess is that the albergueras at the Xuntas would have an idea how crowded the next ones are. Buen camino to you and your family.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I would like to offer a repeat to the response from Falcon.
If I was walking with 4 people I would plan on arriving at public albergue by 1 or 2pm, crowds or not. I can't help but think the way between Sarria and Santiago late in May is going to be very busy.

Thank you Falcon - I think I did not express myself very clearly: I am aware that May is busy, that the last stretch is crowded and that one cannot book Xunta albergues but was hoping to find out whether the public places get full daily.

I think the title of your thread, combined with the text, had me confused also, then. It sounded like you wanted to know how busy things were in order to help you to decide whether to pre-book, or to not pre-book.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I have just finished Astorga to Santiago after doing the Via from Sevilla. I would not book. It was busy but there were always empty beds. Never had a full dorm and used mix of privates and municipals.

One thing I discovered is that the popular privates that are booked out often had spare beds for walk ins. This happened in the popular Albergue Leo in Villafranca. The lady running it said she always keeps beds unreservable. I also got a bed in other popular albergues by just walking in.

Thank you so much everyone for your helpful answers and suggestions and apologies for expressing myself unclearly.

I think we may try our luck in Xunta albergues for a couple of nights and book private albergues for the other nights. We really enjoyed the Xunta places last time but travelling with kids changes things (in all sorts of ways we are about to discover!).

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back