• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

To book or not to book ... in June

JanMary

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2017)
Hi there,
I am sure this has been asked many times before - so forgive me asking yet again. I'm planning to walk the Camino Frances in June 2017 - ending early July 2017. I'm an older single woman (60) walking alone, so this will be a big adventure for me. I am wondering whether I need to book ahead on the Camino, especially as this may be a busy time of year. But, I do want the freedom to plan my own way and not feel like I am forced into an itinerary that may not work out for me.

I've looked at some of the self-guided options where they do all your bookings for you and even carry your bags from place to place, but this adds a lot to the cost and isn't quite what I'd imagined. Does anyone have any experience of these options or advice for me? I don't like the idea of having to rush to be first to the albergue, etiher ... I think I'd find it stressful if I felt I might not be able to find accommodation at the end of the day.

Many thanks for your advice.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi @JanMary and Welcome! I would recommend booking your first night (before you start walking) and then play it by ear. You can always start booking if walk then stop doesn't work for you--I think most when booking did the night before or even the day of. If all else fails, and your chosen place to stop fills up, you can call (or a hospitalero can help) for a taxi to take you a short distance to a hotel or albergue with beds. Many have suggested tips for getting lodging even at peak times, like walking less, stopping early, or stopping at distances others don't usually choose. Just be sure between now and then to get the right footwear, and try out all of your gear/clothes well before you go
Buen Camino

@JanMary, apart from the last 100 km, if you look at these charts, you will see the Camino Frances is not as busy in June/July as it is in spring and autumn. I had no problems in September last year, or May this year, supposedly the busiest months. I usually walk about 20 km a day and am ready to stop walking in the early afternoon - by about 2pm. Starting out on the track at 7:30 or 8am, you have 6 hours, and for me that is plenty. Take a phone with you and you can always book along the way, one or two days ahead, if it proves too crowded. Just about every albergue or pension can arrange for your bag to be carried forward to the next accommodation (if you want your bag carried).

There really, really is no need to pay lots of money to a company to do anything you can easily do yourself and it can be a disaster if everything is pre-booked and you find you either want to walk longer or shorter stages. I only advise it for people who want the "luxury" private tour version of the camino - not mine.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi there,
I am sure this has been asked many times before - so forgive me asking yet again. I'm planning to walk the Camino Frances in June 2017 - ending early July 2017. I'm an older single woman (60) walking alone, so this will be a big adventure for me. I am wondering whether I need to book ahead on the Camino, especially as this may be a busy time of year. But, I do want the freedom to plan my own way and not feel like I am forced into an itinerary that may not work out for me.

I've looked at some of the self-guided options where they do all your bookings for you and even carry your bags from place to place, but this adds a lot to the cost and isn't quite what I'd imagined. Does anyone have any experience of these options or advice for me? I don't like the idea of having to rush to be first to the albergue, etiher ... I think I'd find it stressful if I felt I might not be able to find accommodation at the end of the day.

Thanks for this question, I too an planning to go on the Camino Frances in June 2017! Where are you coming from may I ask? I am from Canada.....!

Hi there,

@JanMary - thanks for asking that question. I was wondering the same thing! I am walking the Camino myself starting at the end of June 2017 through July!

I'm thinking about walking next June also. I completed my first Camino about a month ago, and mid June is probably the earliest that I can get back.
Based on my experience walking late August through September booking ahead is not necessary. A couple of times I did book ahead, but ended up changing my mind about the accommodations, or decided to walk farther (I did cancel the reservations). I also booked an albergue in Pamplona the day before for a group of us who all wanted to stay there. Even the last 100 km, during "busy" September I had absolutely zero problems finding a bed for the night. In fact, in Pedrouzo the albergue I was in had dozens of empty beds.
I did book ahead for Santiago and Finesterre, because I wanted a hotel room for those cities.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I too am walking the Camino, the last 100 km, but not sure exactly which one yet, in the last two weeks of June. Do you have any advice for me, as to which of the caminos is the nicest to travel on? I was thinking to start at Serria, or else to do the English camino, or the Original one from Lugos. Any advice from a seasoned peregrino or peregrina? Gracias!

I too am walking the Camino, the last 100 km, but not sure exactly which one yet, in the last two weeks of June. Do you have any advice for me, as to which of the caminos is the nicest to travel on? I was thinking to start at Serria, or else to do the English camino, or the Original one from Lugos. Any advice from a seasoned peregrino or peregrina? Gracias!
I do not consider the distance between Lugo and Melide (where it joins the Frances) to be the best of the Primitivo. Aside from Lugo (which I did love) and St. Eulalia de Boveda, nothing stands out in my mind to say this is where I had a great walk. Yes, you avoid the Sarria crowds. but in less than two days you join them (for me it was Lugo to San Ramon via St Eulalia, then San Ramon to Arzua --well into the Frances, then SdC. I think many would recommend the walk through Samos on the Frances over a visit to Santa Eulalia on the Primitivo. Since I've never been to Samos I can't say if Lugo is a tie breaker. If fellow pilgrims means anything, instead of joining people in Lugo who have been walking together the entire primitivo, then less than 2 days later joining the Frances, there will likely be more first time starting pilgrims in Sarria, or the entire route of the Ingles.
Buen Camino!

Hi there,

Hi JanMary,
I have the same questions, so I Will read with you. I go begin may and I am planning evverything by myself this time and also walking alone. The link I got here from gronze.com is very helpful with the list of sleeping places. Good luck!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm with Kanga, there really is no need to use a travel company to book what is YOUR Camino. Bring a phone and decide a few days in advance if you need to pre-book. Gronze.com is a great help, I find.

My wife & I have done the whole Camino from SJPdP to Santiago in 33 days, from May 26th this year (2016) . Just booked in Saint Jean and then started walking and stopping at the auberge we found place for us. We started booking by phone in little villlages during the last part of the Camino (from Leon to the end) because we didn't want to sleep in over crowded cities and find a safe place to stay where there were just 2 or 3 auberges. We didn't have problems at all with this subject. There's always a municipal auberge...

Thanks for this question, I too an planning to go on the Camino Frances in June 2017! Where are you coming from may I ask? I am from Canada.....!
Hi there, I am coming from New Zealand - starting from St Jean Pied de Port about 7 June :) I hope I meet you on the way!
I'm with Kanga, there really is no need to use a travel company to book what is YOUR Camino. Bring a phone and decide a few days in advance if you need to pre-book. Gronze.com is a great help, I find.
My wife & I have done the whole Camino from SJPdP to Santiago in 33 days, from May 26th this year (2016) . Just booked in Saint Jean and then started walking and stopping at the auberge we found place for us. We started booking by phone in little villlages during the last part of the Camino (from Leon to the end) because we didn't want to sleep in over crowded cities and find a safe place to stay where there were just 2 or 3 auberges. We didn't have problems at all with this subject. There's always a municipal auberge...
Thanks so much - so very helpful!!!
@JanMary, apart from the last 100 km, if you look at these charts, you will see the Camino Frances is not as busy in June/July as it is in spring and autumn. I had no problems in September last year, or May this year, supposedly the busiest months. I usually walk about 20 km a day and am ready to stop walking in the early afternoon - by about 2pm. Starting out on the track at 7:30 or 8am, you have 6 hours, and for me that is plenty. Take a phone with you and you can always book along the way, one or two days ahead, if it proves too crowded. Just about every albergue or pension can arrange for your bag to be carried forward to the next accommodation (if you want your bag carried).

There really, really is no need to pay lots of money to a company to do anything you can easily do yourself and it can be a disaster if everything is pre-booked and you find you either want to walk longer or shorter stages. I only advise it for people who want the "luxury" private tour version of the camino - not mine.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I really appreciate all your comments. I think I just need a dose of courage ... and that's what you're all giving me :)
Hi there, I am coming from New Zealand - starting from St Jean Pied de Port about 7 June :) I hope I meet you on the way!

Thanks so much - so very helpful!!!

!

Firstly being 60 and solo .... Are not disadvantages ..... I also fit this category and have just finished CF.....

I stayed in mix of albergue and hotels / pensions but mostly the latter ...... I booked a day ahead usually via booking.com ...... Some plans that I made in advance like when I wanted to arrive in Santiago .... I wish I had left it open ....

ULTREIA
Anne

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
@JanMary as soon as you start walking you will find it all falling into place.

I second that :D..... It was one of the things I learnt ......
2. Whatever happens you will work it out ....
3. Some evenings you will wonder why you are doing this and might think about stopping BUT when day breaks you will get up , walk , marvel , enjoy, revel in the beauty of tiredness , admire your own adventurous spirit .
4. You might not want to stop walking
5. You will meet great people but still follow the usual common sense intuition when travelling alone
6. ULTREIA might become your new favourite word

ULTREIA
Anne

Last edited:
I second that :D..... It was one of the things I learnt ......
2. Whatever happens you will work it out ....
3. Some evenings you will wonder why you are doing this and might think about stopping BUT when day breaks you will get up , walk , marvel , enjoy, revel in the beauty of tiredness , admire your own adventurous spirit .
4. You might not want to stop walking
5. You will meet great people but still follow the usual common sense intuition when travelling alone
6. ULTREIA might become your new favourite word

ULTREIA
Anne
Thanks, Anne - I am so excited - just want to get started now :)

watch out, mods, going a bit (OK a lot) off topic..
One other tip, that is covered in other threads but since there are a couple of excited new walkers right here right now: many places (stores, churches, museums) may close for a few hours in the afternoon, and may be closed all or most of Sunday (unless you are in a big tourist city, and even then many may be closed). And many churches and museums may also be closed Monday (at least when I walked). You would figure out the how-to-not-get-stuck-with-only-a-candy bar-for-dinner on Sunday after your first weekend, but why make you suffer? So plan ahead a bit with shopping and meals. I actually loved siesta because it gave me a chance to visit squares, outsides of famous buildings, etc without crowds, so no one in the way for photographs. You would think I walked after the Rapture with how empty the streets are in my pictures. If there is a church or museum you must see, confirm it's days/hours in advance if you can.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I walked during June and early July last year. I got an app. on my phone called Wise Pilgrim for the Camino Frances. It allowed me to look up the next town I planned to stay in and book a private albergue via booking.com if I wanted. It was great. It also shows you where you are on the map in relation to the trail, which was very helpful when I temporarily lost the camino going through cities or when I wanted to see how far I had to go. The vast majority of the time, I got to my destination before 1pm, so had no trouble getting a bed. Especially if you are only looking for one bed (not for a group), it isn't generally a problem. (I am also 60 and walked alone).

I walked during June and early July last year. I got an app. on my phone called Wise Pilgrim for the Camino Frances. It allowed me to look up the next town I planned to stay in and book a private albergue via booking.com if I wanted. It was great. It also shows you where you are on the map in relation to the trail, which was very helpful when I temporarily lost the camino going through cities or when I wanted to see how far I had to go. The vast majority of the time, I got to my destination before 1pm, so had no trouble getting a bed. Especially if you are only looking for one bed (not for a group), it isn't generally a problem. (I am also 60 and walked alone).
Thank you. Is the app about the same as the one from Ivar, Camino places?

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
@JanMary as soon as you start walking you will find it all falling into place.
Kanga, You have given excellent advice because it is so accurate. I over thought my plans because I had no previous experience of the Camino to base my decisions on. But, once I started walking, it all fell into place. What a lot of worry I did for nothing!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks so much - the app sounds great and also great to hear that you are the same age and stage as me. I'm so looking forward to getting started but also nervous about how I will manage. Your post is very reassuring!

Kanga, You have given excellent advice because it is so accurate. I over thought my plans because I had no previous experience of the Camino to base my decisions on. But, once I started walking, it all fell into place. What a lot of worry I did for nothing!

Exactamente! Don't worry about it. You'll figure it out as you go.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks so much - the app sounds great and also great to hear that you are the same age and stage as me. I'm so looking forward to getting started but also nervous about how I will manage. Your post is very reassuring!

You will be fine. You will have a blast. If you want to meet people for socializing or for help, they are there. If you want alone time, you will have that, too. It's a great experience!

I am wondering whether I need to book ahead on the Camino, especially as this may be a busy time of year. But, I do want the freedom to plan my own way and not feel like I am forced into an itinerary that may not work out for me.

No, and in fact I'd strongly advise you against doing so.

The Unexpected and the acceptance of it is IMO what you should "plan" for, including especially not booking a return flight

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
@JanMary
I see that no one above has mentioned Orisson albergue. If you are starting in St Jean Pied de Port, you may want the option of spending your first night on the camino at Orisson, which is at the top of the first climb out of St Jean (8 km steep uphill) and is a great place to meet others beginning the same day. It is a small and very popular place, so a reservation is necessary. For a woman in her sixties (me too) it is a great way to cut down on the distance between St Jean and Roncesvalles (I think that is 25 km), and is the last place to stay on the Route Napoleon between St Jean and Roncesvalles. Look it up online and if you decide to book there email them at refuge.orisson@wanadoo.fr Buen camino.

Hi there,

Hi JanMary, I just joined this group and hope I'm replying in the right place. I am also a 60 year old woman walking alone. I am starting at SJPdP on May 23 and ending in late June, so maybe we will meet. I'm writing because your question was really helpful for me too, so thank you for asking. Now I have to figure out how to post my other questions :) and p.s. I am so nervous about this. I think I must be crazy to want to do this. Very scared.

Hi JanMary, I just joined this group and hope I'm replying in the right place. I am also a 60 year old woman walking alone. I am starting at SJPdP on May 23 and ending in late June, so maybe we will meet. I'm writing because your question was really helpful for me too, so thank you for asking. Now I have to figure out how to post my other questions :) and p.s. I am so nervous about this. I think I must be crazy to want to do this. Very scared.
Nope, you're not crazy. I walked last year, alone, and some of my family thought that I was crazy, though. I'm also close to your age. I celebrated my 59th in Santiago!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
@mohoward that is how we all started - apprehensive. Once you are actually walking on the camino all the fear falls away. Because I come a long way my first few days are jet lagged, and my brain a bit of a fog, and I don't make good decisions. For that reason I do book my first three nights; one night in Madrid where I try to get some sleep, one night in SJPDP, and one night in either Orisson or Valcarlos (no need to book Valcarlos). My first day of walking from SJPDP is then a nice late start with a leisurely first day's walk to either Orisson or Valcarlos, and the next day on to Roncesvalles.

Thank you both so much. I am really excited, as well as terrified. But thank you. I love reading everyone's thoughts. I just spent this weekend trying to plan flights and a couple of reservations, just to get me started, so I'm really overwhelmed, but I guess once I get past Orisson, I will start to hopefully relax and just see where it all takes me! That's my plan--to relax and try not to worry about having to be in control of everything. ugh.

Thank you both so much. I am really excited, as well as terrified. But thank you. I love reading everyone's thoughts. I just spent this weekend trying to plan flights and a couple of reservations, just to get me started, so I'm really overwhelmed, but I guess once I get past Orisson, I will start to hopefully relax and just see where it all takes me! That's my plan--to relax and try not to worry about having to be in control of everything. ugh.
Where are you coming from?

thanks for the app advice! :)

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back