A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

To book or not to book ?

2020 Camino Guides

BoyRoger

BoyRoger IOW England
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2014 Apr-May, 2016 End Mar to May, Ingles April 2018.
I am starting my Camino on 24th March from Porto, I have until 7 April. I like to have a single room with an en suite, I've done the Albergue but I'm getting too old now. I've booked my first and last nights but am wondering if I need to book any more instead of just turning up on the day, I don't know how far I'll be able to walk each day so would prefer not to have to book. Any advise please.

trecile

Camino Addict
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
I am starting my Camino on 24th March from Porto, I have until 7 April. I like to have a single room with an en suite, I've done the Albergue but I'm getting too old now. I've booked my first and last nights but am wondering if I need to book any more instead of just turning up on the day, I don't know how far I'll be able to walk each day so would prefer not to have to book. Any advise please.
Since you want a single room with ensuite, I would book a day or two ahead, unless you are okay with occasionally ending up in a dorm.

musicman

Ensuitepilgrim
Camino(s) past & future
2004, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016,2017,2018
Nowhere will be over crowded, that time of year,but like you I need en-suite and so I always book everything in advance. Nothing worse than having to seek out a room at the end of a day’s walk.
Even worse if it’s raining!
Bom Camino

VictorE

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francis twice
I did it and booked

Walking Lover

Camino(s) past & future
CdS from Leon to Santiago, June 16, 2016 to June 30, 2016.
If you use Booking.com, you can book a day prior.

Terry Callery

Chi Walker
Camino(s) past & future
"Portuguese Camino - In Search of the Infinite Moment" Amazon/Kindle books authored
"Slow Camino"
I walked the Portuguese in February and March from Lisbon. It was so deserted from Lisbon to Porto that I saw just one other pilgrim couple from France the entire two weeks!
After Porto, it changes and there were other pilgrims to walk with. While most of my walking partners stayed in Albergues, I got private accommodations as I was 66 at the time.
When I stayed at the Paradore in Tui they may have been only 15 % booked. There was the Quinta Casa do Rio with just one other guest (not a pilgrim). I stayed in several pensions where I was the only one there. The busiest place I stayed was nice hotel in Coimbre which seemed more than half full - but none I saw were pilgrims. The hotel Conde de Agueda was fairly busy however I was arriving at these places around 2:30 - 3pm when people are just beginning to check in - so always plenty of rooms. Pilgrims do not arrive at these place at 8 pm!
The big Hotel Imperio in Ponte de Lima must have over 100 rooms and I remember there being just 3 people at breakfast buffet when it opened first thing in the morning. I would guest it was only a quarter full.
So unless the place has just four rooms, I do not think you need to book, particularly if there are multiple options in town for accommodations and you are getting there at 3 pm. I really like the "adventure" of not knowing where I am staying each night.
When you book, they always tell you you are getting the last room, you get there and the place is empty!
Marketing Scam!
Bom Caminho

BoyRoger

BoyRoger IOW England
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2014 Apr-May, 2016 End Mar to May, Ingles April 2018.
Thanks everybody for your advise. I think I will leave just the first and last booked for now and see how it is when I get there. Booking one or two days ahead seems like the best plan but if I find it very quiet I won't bother to book.

camino.ninja

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 5 6,16,17,18,19,20
Primiti+Salvador 19
Portug. 17,18,20
Catalan 17
Norte 17
Plata 18
It will be quite busy. If you want private rooms book for sure!

Buen Camino!
Andy

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 54 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 188 15.1%
  • May

Votes: 310 24.9%
  • June

Votes: 89 7.2%
  • July

Votes: 23 1.9%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.2%
  • September

Votes: 353 28.4%
  • October

Votes: 150 12.1%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.4%
  • December

Votes: 6 0.5%
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock