• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

To book or not to book ?

BoyRoger

BoyRoger IOW England
Time of past OR future Camino
I am starting my Camino on 24th March from Porto, I have until 7 April. I like to have a single room with an en suite, I've done the Albergue but I'm getting too old now. I've booked my first and last nights but am wondering if I need to book any more instead of just turning up on the day, I don't know how far I'll be able to walk each day so would prefer not to have to book. Any advise please.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I am starting my Camino on 24th March from Porto, I have until 7 April. I like to have a single room with an en suite, I've done the Albergue but I'm getting too old now. I've booked my first and last nights but am wondering if I need to book any more instead of just turning up on the day, I don't know how far I'll be able to walk each day so would prefer not to have to book. Any advise please.
Since you want a single room with ensuite, I would book a day or two ahead, unless you are okay with occasionally ending up in a dorm.

Nowhere will be over crowded, that time of year,but like you I need en-suite and so I always book everything in advance. Nothing worse than having to seek out a room at the end of a day’s walk.
Even worse if it’s raining!
Bom Camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I did it and booked

If you use Booking.com, you can book a day prior.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I walked the Portuguese in February and March from Lisbon. It was so deserted from Lisbon to Porto that I saw just one other pilgrim couple from France the entire two weeks!
After Porto, it changes and there were other pilgrims to walk with. While most of my walking partners stayed in Albergues, I got private accommodations as I was 66 at the time.
When I stayed at the Paradore in Tui they may have been only 15 % booked. There was the Quinta Casa do Rio with just one other guest (not a pilgrim). I stayed in several pensions where I was the only one there. The busiest place I stayed was nice hotel in Coimbre which seemed more than half full - but none I saw were pilgrims. The hotel Conde de Agueda was fairly busy however I was arriving at these places around 2:30 - 3pm when people are just beginning to check in - so always plenty of rooms. Pilgrims do not arrive at these place at 8 pm!
The big Hotel Imperio in Ponte de Lima must have over 100 rooms and I remember there being just 3 people at breakfast buffet when it opened first thing in the morning. I would guest it was only a quarter full.
So unless the place has just four rooms, I do not think you need to book, particularly if there are multiple options in town for accommodations and you are getting there at 3 pm. I really like the "adventure" of not knowing where I am staying each night.
When you book, they always tell you you are getting the last room, you get there and the place is empty!
Marketing Scam!
Bom Caminho

Thanks everybody for your advise. I think I will leave just the first and last booked for now and see how it is when I get there. Booking one or two days ahead seems like the best plan but if I find it very quiet I won't bother to book.

It will be quite busy. If you want private rooms book for sure!

Buen Camino!
Andy

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back