• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

To Bring or Not to Bring on the Camino?

erkovar

Time of past OR future Camino
Will be doing Portuguese Central Way starting Oct 19, 2018
I leave in 2.5 weeks for my first Camino Porto to SDC. I've been loading a bag and walking around Seattle, up & down hills w/o poles, so Im just wondering if you can give me some advice.

-Should I bring hiking poles? Or leave them at home?
-DSLR Camera - adds weight but I love photography
-camel back - or should I just use water bottles? A drinking tube out of the bag seems convenient.
-hiking rain coat? or poncho?
-Umbrella? Had some people tell me that, really?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Leave the DSLR behind - your smart phone will do just as well.

Water bottles will do better than the drinking tube, as it’ll help you ration your water if it’s not too easily accessible.

A light waterproof coat is better than a poncho - I was told by an ex military person that these are actually quite dehydrating, as they always trap moisture on the inside of the poncho.

I did my Camino without poles, but so many swear by them, so bring them along!

Buen Camino!

Hi! You are going to have sooooo many different answers! :D
Hiking poles... Well, I use them, others don’t. What do YOU prefer when you are out walking?
Camera.... I only use my phone nowadays. Up to you.
Camelback.... I have never used one so don’t know. Some people swear by them. Again, up to you. What do you prefer?
Raincoat vs poncho.... Well I don’t know what the raincoat weighs and I don’t know if the poncho will withstand wind etc.... so can’t advise.
i don’t know where you live but I’d suggest you do some training walks to try out the best combination for you :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The camelpack is 3 liters, I dont intend to keep 3 L in there, but you make a good point.

Thanks for these TIPS!

I like a poncho that covers everything, I use a hydration bladder, because it's easier for me, and I like to sip as I go. Mine is 2 liters, but I usually only fill it half way. I use poles, for many reasons - they have kept me from taking a tumble more than once, they help with hills, and they keep my arms toned, no reason to make my legs do all the work!

These are all personal decisions, you'll have to decide what is right for you.

I leave in 2.5 weeks for my first Camino Porto to SDC. I've been loading a bag and walking around Seattle, up & down hills w/o poles, so Im just wondering if you can give me some advice.

-camel back - or should I just use water bottles? A drinking tube out of the bag seems convenient.

Thanks!

All your questions will get different responses. All down to personal choice.

Regarding camelbak (water bladder) or bottles. I have tried both. Now use bottles. The big problem with water bladders IMHO is the extra weight (of the bladder), and that you cannot see how full they are. I have run out twice using them. Not pleasant. So to compensate I ended up carrying too much water (weight)

This is our system. Works great. Convenience of a bladder (uses tube), but with clear visibility of contents, less overall weight (bottles weigh next to nothing) and weight on front aids weight distribution. (like the Aaarn pack concept)

Poles?
Very personal choice. I could not make it without them.
But if you don't use them properly, like about 80% of people don't, they are just extra weight.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Thanks!

Please please please bring poles. Unless you are young and fit , though there are many young and fit people using them. We are currently on the Camino and several people have slipped and injured themselves quite badly. Two that I know of terminated their journey on the first couple of days. Many, many young pilgrims are walking with knee supports and we are only in the first two weeks. On the first couple of days they had no support. But this is only my opinion

I always use two good quality trekking poles.
I only use a 3 liter camelback for ease of drinking. If you are used to using one you know when it's getting low, plus you can easily check it during a rest break. Takes up less space than bottles for me and don't actually weigh more than bottles. You don't need to fill all 3 liters if you don't want to. It's just easier for me to stay hydrated if all I have to do is grab a tube. Plus the weight remains distributed along your spine instead of split between sides or on weird spots on your shoulders. Everyone has their preference. With my 30 years of experience hiking I choose the bladder.
I don't use ponchos, only rain jacket and then only when it's a real down pour AND really cold. I used it once or twice last May. I'd rather get wet and then dry off with the sun if it's just short showers or light rain.
I chose not to take my expensive and heavy DSLR. My iPhone 7 Plus camera did just fine. Great pictures are made through great composition and a decent lens which the new iPhones have as long as you aren't planning to sell your photos to a magazine.

Thanks!
I'm always going to recommend poles. I started the Camino Frances without them and had I not bought them I don't think I would have finished. I'm also about to start the CP from Porto and my ticket is "carry on only" so I will be buying poles in Porto. But some people get on fine without them and rumour has it that the CP isn't as demanding as the CF.

DSLR camera - this one is on you. I'm just bringing my phone, but the quality of the camera was a determining factor in my phone selection. I understand it is not the same as a DSLR, though.

Camelback or not - when we walked on the CF my son had a camelback and I had a water bottle in the side pocket of my backpack (two on days with a long distance between fountains). He liked bring able to sip water whenever he wanted, even while walking with his poles. I liked being able to easily refill and not have to start the day with the weight of 2 or 3 litres of water. For this Camino I am taking a drinking tube that attaches to any water bottle. The best of both worlds.

Rain jacket or poncho - last Camino I took a super-lightweight rain jacket and never used it once from Roncesvalles to Finisterre. So, in retrospect, I'm glad I prioritized the lightweight. This Camino, I don't expect that kind of luck. I've heard since praise of the simple, cheap ponchos from IKEA and got one of those as well. I will bring both. On cold wet days I will wear both. On hot wet days, just the poncho. With a short sleeved shirt I won't worry about my arms getting wet. On cold dry days I will wear just the rain jacket over a hoodie as a windbreaker. A final note on this: if you are wearing a poncho you probably want a hydration system of some sort with a tube that you can access with the poncho on.
- Umbrellas are great in the rain unless there is a wind. And if you are taking poles, you want one that you don't have to carry in your hands. I won't be taking one. But if I were to walk the CF again in July/August, a reflective umbrella that I could attach to my backpack would be well worth it to protect me from the sun.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Bring a poncho - Today it rained hard for more than an hour out of Sarria and I talked to a friend who was wearing her Ikea $ 5 poncho and it perfectly held up and everything stayed dry.

Poncho - its lightweight and cheap and just bring a long elastic band with a tightning device of some sorts to wrap around your waist and pull tight together for when the wind picks up.

Thanks!
  • Hiking poles—yes, but learn how to use them
  • DSLR—I brought mine and will again. If photography is your passion then I’d bring your DSLR.
  • I would just use a water bottle. 3 liters of water is a lot to carry. Getting a Camelback filled at a bar would be dicey. I use collapsible water bottles from Vapur.
  • The rain coat vs. poncho question is highly personal. For me, I prefer a rain jacket. I’m not a big fan of ponchos.
  • I’d bring a good sun hat rather than an umbrella.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi. My thoughts below:

Camera - No. Too heavy. Phone works fine.
Poles - Yes. There will be days you won't need them. but on the days that you do, you will be thankful. I particularly found them useful on steep and rocky descents. I'm pretty confident without them, I would have severely hurt myself.
CamelBak - Yes. I would hands down choose a CamelBak over a water bottle. You can adjust water for weight. It's always there when you need it and you don't have to pull out a water bottle. I think it's easier.
Poncho - Yes. I brought a raincoat on my trip and did not have a poncho. Though I had a rain cover for my pack, my front straps got thoroughly drenched as well as parts of my pack where the rain seeped down my back. A poncho would have avoided this.

Please remember, if you do decide to bring a camera, poles, or anything else and you find it too cumbersome, you can always have it shipped ahead to Ivar's. I did that with a few of my things. It's just nice to have options.

Buen Camino!

I prefer fitted rain gear, just because the flapping of ponchos drives me crazy. Most seem to prefer them tho, so all up to user preference.

Poles help me tremendously. My first camino I went from SJPdP from Pamplona without and it was complete misery. My second camino I had REI carbon fibre poles and loved the shock mitigation in my elbows over the aluminum ones I bought in Pamplona and I never regretted it. You may or may not need them, but given the unsure footing on some of the camino routes, a cheap set bought in SJPdP may not be the worst thing.

If you like your DSL and can haul it, take that thing! Rock on with your camino!

Hydration systems are finicky. If I don't have a drinking tube system I tend to forget to drink and get dehydrated. I really dislike bladder systems. Used them for years and they get drive me nuts trying to clean em, dry em, etc.

I went with a new system from Blue Desert:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077SZQKBV/?tag=casaivar02-20

It screws onto any standard 28mm(think Coke, Pepsi, Smartwater) bottle, and there are adapters for many other bottles. Mine came with 3 adapters. No bladder to worry about leaking into your gear, just easily recyclable bottles that are available darn near anywhere in the world. I dislike bite valves so ended up using an old plastic on/off valve from an old kit.

Whatever you do, go have a superb time!

It screws onto any standard 28mm(think Coke, Pepsi, Smartwater) bottle, and there are adapters for many other bottles. Mine came with 3 adapters. No bladder to worry about leaking into your gear, just easily recyclable bottles that are available darn near anywhere in the world.

That's the same system I'll be taking with me in a couple of days when I head off on my next Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
That's the same system I'll be taking with me in a couple of days when I head off on my next Camino.
Why ?... can’t you just buy a bottle with a sipper attachement and refill it? You are not jogging or cycling it’s not hard to drink from a bottle?

Why ?... can’t you just buy a bottle with a sipper attachement and refill it? You are not jogging or cycling it’s not hard to drink from a bottle?
Because when I have a bottle in the side pocket of my backpack it is a bit of a pain to get to it to drink from it. If I am walking alone I have to stop and take off my backpack. If I am walking with someone I have to pause and ask them to take out my bottle and later to put back. If it is raining, the bottle is hard to reach under the poncho. And I have to stop using my poles while I am drinking.

On my previous Camino I put up with this. I just paused to drink and it never rained. But why put up with it if you don't have to?

Exactly my experience. When the drinking tube is right on my chest I use it a lot more rather than reaching for a bottle. Both methods work great. My camino partner this year used a nag bottle and did just fine.

That is a real fun part of any camino, working out what is really awesome for you!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
1) should I bring hiking poles? Or leave them at home?
2) DSLR Camera - adds weight but I love photography
3) camel back - or should I just use water bottles? A drinking tube out of the bag seems convenient.
4) hiking rain coat? or poncho?
5) Umbrella? Had some people tell me that, really?

My answers, @erkovar are what suits me, after much experimentation and field work.

1) Hiking poles?
I have aluminium trekking poles that collapse down to and fit in my pack. I then check my pack in so it is in the hold. So no "terrorism" type issues of the plane. I started out doubting their usefulness, got one and found that not particulalry helpful. Then went whole hog - never regretted. When I pause I have something to lean on. When taking photos (see below) i have something to lean into and so steady my stance. I have attached some really colourful "string" so as to identify mine, and as a reminder to pick them up when I've put them down

2) camera
I carry both a smart phone and a Nikon s9700 point and click but with close up and 30x - good for landscapes, or jut bringing the subject closer. I find a smart phone is not quite so versatile. Don't know about the weight of a DSLR though.

3) water supply
Tried a camelbak and found it wanting. Trouble to extract and fill. Didn't know how much was left. And why would I put water inside my waterproof pack anyway.
Also bottles on side pockets meant, for me, stopping, tacking the pack off .... Just too complicated.
Found the desert blue system. Same as Camelbak in principle. They supply the tube, bite valve and connectors to most common 1 to 1.5 litre drink bottles. You supply the bottle, which can go in a side pocket. Easy to use and easy to refill.

4) rain coat or poncho
I perservered with a poncho which was also a ground sheet - two uses for the same thing. But it just didn't work for me. Two issues I had was putting a poncho on in wind and it just didn't quite get to my knees (and I am not tall) so short got wet. Now I use an Altus rain coat which could be a little longer but also acts as a pack cover.

5) umbrella
I have preferred trekking poles so no space in my hands, but try and see if it works for you.

@erkovar , kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

P

Thanks!
Phone / jacket / poles/ bottles / umbrella can be bought in Spain

Regarding camelbak (water bladder) or bottles. I have tried both. Now use bottles. The big problem with water bladders IMHO is the extra weight (of the bladder), and that you cannot see how full they are. I have run out twice using them. Not pleasant. So to compensate I ended up carrying too much water (weight)

This is our system. Works great. Convenience of a bladder (uses tube), but with clear visibility of contents, less overall weight (bottles weigh next to nothing) and weight on front aids weight distribution. (like the Aaarn pack concept)

Poles?
But if you don't use them properly, like about 80% of people don't, they are just extra weight.

I agree about the camera for sure. My first two Caminos, I carried a very small digital camera and I have it with me now On the Camino Portuguese, but I am only using my phone.

It hasn’t rained but I have carried my lightweight poncho. I needed it a lot on the Norte. So who knows. And I would not walk without my poles. They have saved me over and over again from falling or tripping, they keep my arms moving, and they help me keep a rhythm for my walk.

I used a bladder for my first Camino and hated it. I like my water to be cold and the bladder kept it really warm and tasted of rubber. Now I use a tube that fits on the top of the water bottle so I get the same convenience of being able to sip water while I walk but don’t have to carry the bladder. I got this hose and bottle top device from Amazon, of course.

. Good luck.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Poles?

Whatever you do please do not use first use plastic water bottles. Preserve the planet!!!!!!

P
Phone / jacket / poles/ bottles / umbrella can be bought in Spain
Is an umbrella really necessary? It seems like extra weight but the only way to stay "dry" in a complete downpour. I live in Seattle so I am not shy to rain and soaked feet.

Whatever you do please do not use first use plastic water bottles. Preserve the planet!!!!!!
What exactly is first use ? Do you mean a bottle from the store?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I never used poles until I started the Frances two eeeks ago and would not do without them now. And I love the rubber rounded tips I got. Have not yet needed an umbrella and I have a hard water bottle and a collapsible one. That combo works well for me. No camera. Rain jacket also works well as a layer.

I prefer fitted rain gear, just because the flapping of ponchos drives me crazy. Most seem to prefer them tho, so all up to user preference.

Poles help me tremendously. My first camino I went from SJPdP from Pamplona without and it was complete misery. My second camino I had REI carbon fibre poles and loved the shock mitigation in my elbows over the aluminum ones I bought in Pamplona and I never regretted it. You may or may not need them, but given the unsure footing on some of the camino routes, a cheap set bought in SJPdP may not be the worst thing.

If you like your DSL and can haul it, take that thing! Rock on with your camino!

Hydration systems are finicky. If I don't have a drinking tube system I tend to forget to drink and get dehydrated. I really dislike bladder systems. Used them for years and they get drive me nuts trying to clean em, dry em, etc.

It screws onto any standard 28mm(think Coke, Pepsi, Smartwater) bottle, and there are adapters for many other bottles. Mine came with 3 adapters. No bladder to worry about leaking into your gear, just easily recyclable bottles that are available darn near anywhere in the world. I dislike bite valves so ended up using an old plastic on/off valve from an old kit.

Whatever you do, go have a superb time!
Thank you for the links this is great. I guess it is a path of suffrage and drinking water seems to put people through some form of suffrage. lol

Please please please bring poles. Unless you are young and fit , though there are many young and fit people using them. We are currently on the Camino and several people have slipped and injured themselves quite badly. Two that I know of terminated their journey on the first couple of days. Many, many young pilgrims are walking with knee supports and we are only in the first two weeks. On the first couple of days they had no support. But this is only my opinion
Im conflicted on this. Im 33 and work in fitness so I am fit but adding 10-15lbso n my back does a load on my left knee. I am walking about 13-14 days w/ a couple off days to explore Braga or a town for a day but my last 7 days will be 15-23km straight of hiking. Going down hill is what aggravates my knees so if its not overly hilly I may be ok w/o it.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'm always going to recommend poles. I started the Camino Frances without them and had I not bought them I don't think I would have finished. I'm also about to start the CP from Porto and my ticket is "carry on only" so I will be buying poles in Porto. But some people get on fine without them and rumour has it that the CP isn't as demanding as the CF.

DSLR camera - this one is on you. I'm just bringing my phone, but the quality of the camera was a determining factor in my phone selection. I understand it is not the same as a DSLR, though.

Camelback or not - when we walked on the CF my son had a camelback and I had a water bottle in the side pocket of my backpack (two on days with a long distance between fountains). He liked bring able to sip water whenever he wanted, even while walking with his poles. I liked being able to easily refill and not have to start the day with the weight of 2 or 3 litres of water. For this Camino I am taking a drinking tube that attaches to any water bottle. The best of both worlds.

Rain jacket or poncho - last Camino I took a super-lightweight rain jacket and never used it once from Roncesvalles to Finisterre. So, in retrospect, I'm glad I prioritized the lightweight. This Camino, I don't expect that kind of luck. I've heard since praise of the simple, cheap ponchos from IKEA and got one of those as well. I will bring both. On cold wet days I will wear both. On hot wet days, just the poncho. With a short sleeved shirt I won't worry about my arms getting wet. On cold dry days I will wear just the rain jacket over a hoodie as a windbreaker. A final note on this: if you are wearing a poncho you probably want a hydration system of some sort with a tube that you can access with the poncho on.
- Umbrellas are great in the rain unless there is a wind. And if you are taking poles, you want one that you don't have to carry in your hands. I won't be taking one. But if I were to walk the CF again in July/August, a reflective umbrella that I could attach to my backpack would be well worth it to protect me from the sun.
Great advice!

I decided to save weight and just take my phone but the photos it took on my recent walk from Le Puy were really disappointing compared with my compact camera, especially when I used the zoom function. I would not want to carry a DSLR with me, but in future, I will not be relying on a phone. Maybe if you had a high end phone, you'd be OK, but I don't. Take some photos with your phone and decide which is good enough. You'll be taking hundreds over the course of your journey.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Thanks!
As a fellow Washingtonian (Anacortes), and avid follower of Ivar, welcome to the forum, erkovar. Others have commented appropriately on equipment. When I put my pack together, I was hyper-conscious about weight. Nothing unnecessary was carried. You've probably been doing some training hikes on Mt. Si and Tiger Mountain. Great!
I, myself, generally don't use poles when I'm certain of the terrain. That said, I did bring my Black Diamond poles on the Camino Frances where they were of benefit—especially going downhill. That's when it is the hardest on knees and quads. Of my 45 days on the Camino, I used poles maybe 10 days; otherwise, they stayed in my pack so I could be "hands free." erkovar, I am happy to speak with you over the phone if you like. You can send me a private message and I'll provide my coordinates. Hope this helps a bit. Best, John

As a fellow Washingtonian (Anacortes), and avid follower of Ivar, welcome to the forum, erkovar. Others have commented appropriately on equipment. When I put my pack together, I was hyper-conscious about weight. Nothing unnecessary was carried. You've probably been doing some training hikes on Mt. Si and Tiger Mountain. Great!
I, myself, generally don't use poles when I'm certain of the terrain. That said, I did bring my Black Diamond poles on the Camino Frances where they were of benefit—especially going downhill. That's when it is the hardest on knees and quads. Of my 45 days on the Camino, I used poles maybe 10 days; otherwise, they stayed in my pack so I could be "hands free." erkovar, I am happy to speak with you over the phone if you like. You can send me a private message and I'll provide my coordinates. Hope this helps a bit. Best, John
Actually after hearing about getting temporarily laid off work 4 weeks ago, I pulled the plug and booked a ticket to POrtugal. I do rock climb, hike and work in fitness so Im not out of shape just not used to 10-15 lbs on my back for 10+ miles, but haven't done SI as I dont have a car to get out to the mountains, but am wlaking up and down the hills in Queen Anne and such.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I decided to save weight and just take my phone but the photos it took on my recent walk from Le Puy were really disappointing compared with my compact camera, especially when I used the zoom function. I would not want to carry a DSLR with me, but in future, I will not be relying on a phone. Maybe if you had a high end phone, you'd be OK, but I don't. Take some photos with your phone and decide which is good enough. You'll be taking hundreds over the course of your journey.
Im upgrading to Iphone 6 but I am a travel blogger. So I may suck it up and do the DSLR. I feel I'd regret it if I dont and phone pics turn out mucky. A little suffering for great photos if something Im used to!

Thanks!
Poncho and poles only

Is an umbrella really necessary? It seems like extra weight but the only way to stay "dry" in a complete downpour. I live in Seattle so I am not shy to rain and soaked feet.

I used a hands-free trekking umbrella with UV-reflective coating (by Euroschirm) on the Camino mainly for sun protection. It made such a difference on the many hot days I walked, as my whole upper body was in the shade (as opposed to just wearing a hat).
It also served me well on the very few rainy days. No need for a sweat-inducing poncho.

I used a hands-free trekking umbrella with UV-reflective coating (by Euroschirm) on the Camino mainly for sun protection. It made such a difference on the many hot days I walked, as my whole upper body was in the shade (as opposed to just wearing a hat).
It also served me well on the very few rainy days. No need for a sweat-inducing poncho.

I love our Euroschirm Umbrellas. They make a hot day so much more bearable.
And.........
They cut down our water consumption. So less weight to carry. More than offsets the weight of the Umbrella..

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I use the umbrella too, against the sun and sometimes light rain. Didn’t take it last Summer though (on the CF) as temperatures weren’t very high (well except for one week or so) and more important, there were lots of thunderstorms :oops:

I used to use a hydration bladder as I wanted to drink as I go but dreaded the weight and the risk of leakage.
but I found the Smart tube which provides a tube/ bite valve that attaches to a clear water bottles of many types. That system is much lighter than a bag , provides flexibility for refilling and cleaning and worked very well- I only had to replace the bottle once on the 5 week trip.

As for Camera whatever sings your soul- the weight to a photographer who wants to create art may well be worth it , everyone has their luxury that matters to them

as for poles. I had not walked with them before and from my ignorance felt them a wasted weight to carry. I tried them on uneven trails at home and found the benefits and did the whole Camino with them (flats and hills) and loved it
2 cents worth

You'll get a variety of answers to these questions
For me
Poles, always - 2 of them. They help not only my knees but also my back and shoulders, and you end up with nice toned arms, and don't get 'fat sausage' fingers every day. Other people arrived in each day with fat swollen fingers. I met a young American woman who started in Leon, after a couple of days she was suffering - knees, hips everywhere. I offered her to try my poles - she didn't try them then, and continued on slowly and painfully. I met her again in Santiago, someone else had suggested poles a few days later, and she had finally tried them, found that they fixed all her problems and she was able to walk on without pain. I thought she wouldn't finish but the poles made it possible.
I would just use my phone, but if its your income to have wonderful photos I understand why you would want to take a camera.
I buy a bottle of water when I get there, and reuse it every day. I still have the one I bought in Madrid 15 months ago. They are so light, easy to fill and i had no difficulty reaching it to drink from. That seems to be one of the issues with some people, I think it depends on your pack. Again it's a personal thing, I've used both, but would never use a hydration bladder now.
And poncho rather than coat, easier to get on and covers your pack, but you have to get the right sort. My first one was a failure but the one I bought last time was great, heavier and shorter, with a hood that stayed on.
I would consider taking a hands free umbrella for hot months, to keep the sun off, but not for rain. Need my hands for my poles.

€60,-
If you are going to bring your DSLR, I would suggest that you carry it in a away that it is readily available. If you keep in it your pack, I think you would be less likely to use it and it would just become dead weight.

Thanks!
Yes to hiking poles, no to camera (cell phone is good enough), yes to water bottles, yes to poncho (no need for umbrella)

Thanks!
Villages have a public fountain. Water bottles are for tourists who can't find the fountain or a bar.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My answers, @erkovar are what suits me, after much experimentation and field work.

5) umbrella
I have preferred trekking poles so no space in my hands, but try and see if it works for you.

@erkovar , kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

Ahhh. That is easily fixed!

I am very fit but used hiking poles the whole way. Why not? Used properly, they can reduce stress on lower body by 25% or more. While giving yòur upper body a mild workout too. Having said that I saw 3 people, myself included, who had any concept of how to even hold the poles. Get a lesson before you go. I took rain jacket and poncho and never wore the jacket. If it started raining i could unfurl the poncho and have it over me and my pack in about 5 seconds. No fishing around for my jacket, taking off pack to get jacket on, etc. I would have melted in my rain jacket, but the poncho allowed air underneath.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks!

Hiking poles - just pick up a cheap pair on Caminho or buy a walking stick under 10 Eu
Camera - leave it at home - use your smart phone - one less thing to worry about
Camel Back - I'd leave it - just fill your bottle at each village fountain - you don't have to clean it
hiking rain coat or poncho - definitely take something for rain
Umbrella - I never walk without one - good for rain AND for sun but you don't need a special one, Just buy one there.

Thanks!

Just finishing the Camino, I’m glad I only brought my iPhone 8 Plus for photos, as my internet was the experience, and knew the phone was adequate to document it. That being said, I too love photography, and knew this wouldn’t be the last time I would venture out on this trail... in 2019 I intend to bring a dedicated camera to take photos and schedule my time accordingly. If you don’t see yourself doing this again and photography is important to you... take the camera. HYOH

Leave them at home, but buy a cheap pair locally when you arrive.

I say -- always bring one not strictly necessary piece of kit just for your own pleasure. This one could be yours :cool:

Just use a small water bottle -- in that season and on that Camino, lack of water will be the least of your worries

On some bits, you might even be able to get away with carrying none, though I'd not advise it, as emergencies can always arise

Something of the sort will be necessary.

Useless in that part of the world if it starts seriously raining there (and it will), and pointless to carry in that season as a parasol. Leave it at home.

Last edited:
You re a few weeks ahead of me but lets remember that we re going to be walking in October/November so Northern Spain is not going to be super warm...

Bottles/Camelbak - I use a camelback when Mountain biking because it gets less covered in mud but for everything else I prefer bottles. I dunno why but I can get into "the zone" a bit and end up head down stomping resulting in me missing seeing stuff. Having to stop, get the bottle out of the bag and stand up gives me a chance to smell the flowers a bit. Less heat means less drinking worry (Yes, I know...)

Edit - when I say bottle, I mean a "proper" water bottle. Nalgene, Sigg or similar

Sticks - sounds like you re young, fit and have a modicum of core strength. I don't think you'll NEED poles but you may like them. They form part of my lightweight camping set up so I usually have them along. they spend a decent amount of time tied to my pack though. I find them useful on long, constant uphills. Rolling terrain, not so much. You'll have packed some gear to a crag if you re climber so I guess you know how you cope with heavy loads.

DSLR Camera - Not the best adventure accessory. If you have the cash maybe it's time for a new mirrorless set up (oooh shiny new gear!!!) ;). You'll know how much you want to take photos. I know my phone will not satisfy me. I'm not just taking photos for Instagram likes (see also, stopping and taking in the surroundings).

Coat/poncho - Again if you re already outdoors-y you'll have a half decent coat already. Stick with that. I work with a Spanish guy and us northern Europeans always joke how he doesn't like the heat in summer. His reply is always, "Yees, but remember I am-ah from Northern Spain!". There are gonna be some days we both get wet mate! :-S

Umbrella - probably less important to worry about shade. I ve not used one so can't advise though.

Just finishing the Camino, I’m glad I only brought my iPhone 8 Plus for photos, as my internet was the experience, and knew the phone was adequate to document it. That being said, I too love photography, and knew this wouldn’t be the last time I would venture out on this trail... in 2019 I intend to bring a dedicated camera to take photos and schedule my time accordingly. If you don’t see yourself doing this again and photography is important to you... take the camera. HYOH
Great advice, I am upgrading to iPhone 6, not exactly stellar quality.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Thanks!
if you are checking your luggage, take your poles. You say, 'or leave them at home' which suggests you have them and therefore know how to use them. It has taken me many years to learn that! Just this summer I visualised what I had seen on a video, and copied it. Result? Life changing! well, not quite, but my knees were ultra thankful. buen camino...

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.