• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

To bring or not to bring...

Time of past OR future Camino
Aug. 2015 Camino Frances
After preparing for over a year for my August 21st departure, speaking to many friends who have done the Camino, shopping for light clothing and endlessly reviewing suggested packing lists, my backpack is still a few pounds over what I would like it to be. I plan to walk from SJPdP to Santiago between August 24 and October 1. Would like some advice on wether to bring a fleece (I am bringing a long sleeve merino T-shirt), raincoat and light jacket with hood? Someone also suggested that I bring gloves. Guess I am wondering wether I am more likely to be walking with summer weather or more fall weather...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Helene - I walked from Sept. 6 - Oct. 8/14 and I used my gloves and light tuque two times, right at the beginning of October. I do not regret bringing them, as the weight was negligble, and it was darn cold first thing in the am until the sun came up. But as has been discussed many times on this forum, who knows what the weather will hold.
Buen Camino.

Lightweight gloves are useful in the early morning as it can be cold, but wouldn't need fleece as well as a light jacket - one or the other would do. But you will definitely need something for the rain. I had a large light weight cotton scarf/sarong very useful for warmth, suncover etc.
Buen Camino

Hi Helene - I walked from Sept. 6 - Oct. 8/14 and I used my gloves and light tuque two times, right at the beginning of October. I do not regret bringing them, as the weight was negligble, and it was darn cold first thing in the am until the sun came up. But as has been discussed many times on this forum, who knows what the weather will hold.
Buen Camino.
Good to know, thanks. That's the kind of feedback I am looking for ;-)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Buen Camino.
Great, gracias Linda! Will pack some gloves. What was the average temperature during the day?

Someone suggested to me that gloves were not needed if I had spare socks to cover my hands in the morning. I ended up needing neither but thought it good advice.

Helene, pour le poids que les,gants et la tuque representent, prends-les. Meme si tu as 3 jours de froid ca vaut la piene. Pour le polar, s'il est leger, comme ce aue tu porterais en soiree en fi d'ete ici, apporte-le, mais pas d'anorak ou de truc epais, misd plutot sur des couches minces de vetements.

Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Helene, pour le poids que les,gants et la tuque representent, prends-les. Meme si tu as 3 jours de froid ca vaut la piene. Pour le polar, s'il est leger, comme ce aue tu porterais en soiree en fi d'ete ici, apporte-le, mais pas d'anorak ou de truc epais, misd plutot sur des couches minces de vetements.
Merci Anémone. C'est ce que je pensais..

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
A handy addition can be those ‘arms’ that the cyclists use. oops - sorry I don’t know the technical name. ;)
They double as long sleeves (extra layer) on cold mornings or use them to keep your hands warm. They slip off easily without having to take your pack off.
Thanks Grace. Many people have taked to me about these...

A handy addition can be those ‘arms’ that the cyclists use. oops - sorry I don’t know the technical name. ;)
They double as long sleeves (extra layer) on cold mornings or use them to keep your hands warm. They slip off easily without having to take your pack off.

Mine are made by "Eclipse Sun Products" and are called "Sun Sleeves" I recommend them and they are only 1.5oz for the pair. (about 43 grams)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
For August, I would leave the jacket home. You'll never wear it.
Take the fleece and the merino tee.
Personally, I'd ditch the gloves - if you go through some weird cold snap you can buy gloves cheap on the Way.

Currently I am planning on bringing a wind shirt versus a jacket with layers shirt and t-shirt underneath for September.

Helene, what do you mean by "a few pounds over what I would like it to be"? Even a pound is much. A few more is too much. I think this is far more important than a pair of gloves. Maybe we could help you with this ...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
After preparing for over a year for my August 21st departure, speaking to many friends who have done the Camino, shopping for light clothing and endlessly reviewing suggested packing lists, my backpack is still a few pounds over what I would like it to be. I plan to walk from SJPdP to Santiago between August 24 and October 1. Would like some advice on wether to bring a fleece (I am bringing a long sleeve merino T-shirt), raincoat and light jacket with hood? Someone also suggested that I bring gloves. Guess I am wondering wether I am more likely to be walking with summer weather or more fall weather...
Hello, only the gloves will do. Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Helene, what do you mean by "a few pounds over what I would like it to be"? Even a pound is much. A few more is too much. I think this is far more important than a pair of gloves. Maybe we could help you with this ...
Yes, you are right - we are talking more than gloves. I mean two pounds over what I would like. I weigh 140 lbs and my full back pack weighs 15 lbs. without the 1 litre of water I intend to carry and the ventral pouch for my camera, Ipod, suglasses and documents. Following the suggestions of some peregrino friends this weekend, I already have changed my equipment to include a lighter headlamp, a small refillable container of sunscreen, changed strategy for evening/sleep wear. That should help. Otherwise, I find it hard to cut anything else.

I find it hard to cut anything else.
Once you are down to the irreducible minimum, the next step is to find lighter-weight versions of your kit. Every 100 gm makes a significant difference over the long haul, so it really is worth the effort. Substitute dry versions of toiletries - water is heavy. Substitute plastic for metal. Take electronic versions rather than paper. Make things do double and triple duty to earn their way into the pack.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi, Helene! You will congratulate yourself for all the changes you've already made. Think twice or threefold :), as Kitsambler suggested, over the rest of things. If you decide you need them all, that's fine. By the second week on the Camino you will know for sure what you need and what you don't need. I know, you would like to know it now... Try carrying the backpack on a 4-6 hours trip to see how it suits you. Expect to be challenging. It might help with the decision;)

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Helen, I am starting 1 day before you and I am having the same issues....what to bring and what not to bring. I have a light rain jacket, and debated on fleece. I bought a long sleeved Merino wool T shirt instead. The fleece would have made a good pillow at night since I am bringing the bare minimum in clothing.

I am thingking cyclist gloves with fingers cut off to protect my hands from blistering
and/or pain due to using poles all the time?

I am debating water bottle vs a 3 litre water bladder??

Dan

Hi, Helene! You will congratulate yourself for all the changes you've already made. Think twice or threefold :), as Kitsambler suggested, over the rest of things. If you decide you need them all, that's fine. By the second week on the Camino you will know for sure what you need and what you don't need. I know, you would like to know it now... Try carrying the backpack on a 4-6 hours trip to see how it suits you. Expect to be challenging. It might help with the decision;)
There are 3 things I am left to play with: 1) my guidebook, paper version/dont know whether I can digitize it 2) am now carrying a fleece, a light rain jacket (ultra light) and a full raincoat (weighs about the same as a poncho) / am debating leaving the fleece or light rain jacket behind and 3) have bought Teva sandals as alternate for my Lowa boots and night/shower shoe / should I change these for lighter flip-flops?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Helen, I am starting 1 day before you and I am having the same issues....what to bring and what not to bring. I have a light rain jacket, and debated on fleece. I bought a long sleeved Merino wool T shirt instead. The fleece would have made a good pillow at night since I am bringing the bare minimum in clothing.

I am thingking cyclist gloves with fingers cut off to protect my hands from blistering
and/or pain due to using poles all the time?

I am debating water bottle vs a 3 litre water bladder??

Dan
Yep...I too have 1 long-sleeve Merino T-shirt but not quite as warm as a fleece if we get temperatures around 9 degrees as could happen... same issue re the gloves...I started out with water bottles but decided on a 1.5 litre water bladder because I like to sip H2O as I go along and was getting tired of reaching back for the bottles and did not want to wear it in the front either but I guess that really is a personal preference. I will most likely fill my bladder with 1 litre at a time. I regularly use approx. 1.5 litres for 20 kms so will refill once a day. Perhaps we will see eachother in SJPdP...if not certainly along the way :)

There are 3 things I am left to play with: 1) my guidebook, paper version/dont know whether I can digitize it 2) am now carrying a fleece, a light rain jacket (ultra light) and a full raincoat (weighs about the same as a poncho) / am debating leaving the fleece or light rain jacket behind and 3) have bought Teva sandals as alternate for my Lowa boots and night/shower shoe / should I change these for lighter flip-flops?
I would say the fleece and the light rain-jacket would work just fine. Don't really see a need for a full raincoat and would leave that at home.
August in Spain is not cold and any chill in the morning lasts for a very short period of time. I don't think you need those faux sleeves things or gloves. My first Camino I walked in August. I wore shorts and t-shirts everyday. Didn't even have a pair of long pants with me.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.