• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

To buy a new pack or to make do?

Make Do or Buy New?

• Total voters

flippinkittin

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino francés, verano 2017
Hi!

I will be hiking the CF very soon. Ideally I would like to bring a pack which is between 28-35 liters, and weighs less than 2 lbs. This would cost between $50-150

My go-to is my Osprey Ace 48. This pack is a bit over 3 lbs. It has a hood which I believe I could remove to shave some weight.

So...what do we think? Should I make do with my trusty pack? I'm afraid of the temptation to over pack it.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm thinking that 48 Liter pack may be just perfect for your Camino. But, I would suggest that you first (before you buy a new pack) get everything that you plan to take with you and pack it up in your existing back pack. Then you will know if it is an overkill or not. Buen Camino!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Just bring your old pack. It will work just fine. I've done the Camino with a 48L and never over packed it, and carried it on flights several times, instead of checking it in.
Now if you just got the itch to buy a new, smaller pack and got the cash to do it? Yeah, why not...go ahead and buy one. Otherwise you will keep thinking about it...:D

A detail I failed to mention earlier:
I regularly go on 3 day backpacking trips and carry my tent and stove and food in this pack. I'm great at packing light!

My fifth Camino starts next week, from Lisbon. Every year, I struggle with trying to carry less, and fit it into a smaller, lighter rucksack.

Every year, I keep coming back to my original rucksack, an Osprey Kestrel 48-liter bag, with integral rain cover. No matter what I try to cut corners, size and weight, I keep returning to 'old faithful."

After four Caminos, it has some torn stretchy mesh, stains I cannot get out soaking with Nikwax and scrubbing with a stiff nylon brush, and all my accumulated Camino patches. I am on my second rain cover. But this one is neon yellow in place of the original red cover. The miles / kilometers we have covered together...(sigh)

OTOH, this pack is so well fitted to my torso, that it feels like an extension of me when it is all up and in use. In fact, when I take it off for a break or at the end of the day's trek, I actually feel a little "naked." I miss it hugging my back. So, it must be the right solution for me.

REI properly recommended and fitted this pack for me in 2013, before my first Camino (Frances, from SJPdP). That it continues to provide such good service is a testimony to their efforts. As I am wont to say, you remember the value LONG after you forget the price...

The two things you ought never scrimp on are your rucksack and your footwear. You WEAR these things. Everything else is like ornaments on a Christmas tree.

When the time comes to replace it, I will likely look for a similarly sized Osprey rucksack that is lighter. The Kestrel is NOT the lightest bag available. But it IS built like a tank. I see many of them in different sizes (28, 38, 48 liter) on Camino each year, in a variety of colors.

One thing I am doing differently this year, I already packed everything, six-days before I leave. This weekend I will unpack everything and spread it on my home floor.

Every item will be scrutinized one last time. In doing this review, I will challenge myself, asking what I WILL use this for, based on four previous outings. I will challenge the quantity and size of each item.

Finally, I will carefully repack the rucksack according to how I will need to retrieve items each day, again based on experience. Once all done, I will weigh the final result. Presently I am at 12.5 kg. It will be a small miracle if I can get it to 11 Kg. But I will see what happens. This weight is in my "normal" range...for ME.

I hope this helps someone else.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
A 48-liter pack sounds just about perfect for the Camino. Use your old one and save the money to splurge on a great meal and wonderful bottle of wine along the way.
If your old pack fits well, I agree you should probably use it. A 48L Osprey Exos has been perfect for me on the Camino.

On the other hand, buying a new pack is always a lot of fun.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
OK! Thank you all for your responses, and your well thought out arguments and justifications.

As much as I would love to buy a new piece of gear; I've decided to stay with Ole' Faithful. I'm going to take her out on a 3 day, 45 mile backpacking trip to make sure my love for her has not waned from September.

Yes, backpacks...I was going to have to take my Deuter 60+10 on the Camino Frances, and knew it would be too big and not so comfortable (the one size adjustable model just never worked for me).

I recently came into some unexpected financial support which allowed me the luxury of going to REI and trying on virtually every bag they had, and coming home with a better fitting pack! (It was like being in a candy store :)) I am 5'2 and 109 pounds. The only bag that fit and was reasonably comfortable was the Gregory Jade 38L. It comes in sizes and the Small worked well! I feel very grateful for the support and see that the smaller size will limit my desire to take more than I NEED.

Small women, check out the Gregory Jade! While striving for a discomfort-free journey is neither possible nor desireable, it helps to start off with essential gear: pack and footwear that fit!

Buen Camino a todos,
Sue

I agree @Sue Kranz . Except it is our old Camino packs that were sized. We thought that we would use them at home and buy new for another Camino. The 'one size fits all adjustable ones' are awful. So we manage with them at home and now keep our old packs for the Camino itself. They fit us well and are 30lts and 45lts - just right when we are together.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
While striving for a discomfort-free journey is neither possible nor desireable...

Nope. The best one can do is to eliminate all needless discomfort.

If we desire to be completely free of discomfort, we need only to plop ourselves down into that overstuffed recliner in front of the television. Oh, we should also take all of our eats-and-drinks with us so that we don't have to move again for hours.... :rolleyes: o_O

If we desire to be completely free of discomfort, we need only to plop ourselves down into that overstuffed recliner in front of the television. Oh, we should also take all of our eats-and-drinks with us so that we don't have to move again for hours.... :rolleyes: o_O
And that kind of inactivity leads to a lot more discomfort later. :eek:

I guess we all have our own definition of discomfort. Not moving for hours in an overstuffed recliner while overstuffing myself sounds way more uncomfortable than walking around with a pack on my back-even a heavy one.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
As my training progresses, and I'm starting to make all the choices about gear, I'm thinking more and more about getting a new pack. If I do, I will make sure I wear it in well before the trip. I have a few pre camino backpacking adventures planned.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.