• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

To camera or not to camera

caitlin_s

Hola friends,

I'm camino-ing in April/May next year - and have already started packing my bags, tee hee! One thing that's *not* going in my pack is a mobile phone, and I'm seriously considering skipping on the camera too. It's mainly for weight reasons (not that I won't be packing a little luxury or two;), but I'm not a huuuge picture-taker.

I'd love to hear from other pilgrims that have walked camera-less. Did you find yourself wishing you'd brought one? And do you wish now that you had pictures of some of the special people, places, moments? Or were you glad of the reduced weight and the forced in-the-moment-ness? And did some pictures come into your possession anyhow via the more snap-happy folk you met along the way? WHAT SHALL I DOOOOOOOO????

Thoughts, advice much appreciated!

:)

Caitlin

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
A light digital camera might be desirable. Your best memories will be stored in your mind, but photos are handy for showing others. You don't have to turn on a cellular phone, but it can be handy in an emergency or for making reservations. A phone and charger will take space and add weight, so leaving it behind certainly is a good option. Do what makes you comfortable. It is not how much you need, but how little you need.

Hi Caitlin,

On my Camino in '08 I met a girl who took a disposable analogue camera, allowing her to take ONE picture each day. Very special.
And yes, if you want, you'll stay in contact with your fellow-pilgrims by e-mail, FaceBook, Blogger, perhaps this forum, and you'll get their pictures.
Fun part of it: if they make the pictures, you yourself might be on some of them. On the pictures you make, that is very unlikely.

Ultreya,
Carli Di Bortolo.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hola - it is an entirely personal call. I walked the entire Via de la Plata without a camera and didn't miss it. I've also walked lots of routes with a camera and have many pictures I value. I've also at times simply used my phone to take pictures which might be the best of both worlds.

John

I wax and wane on ever trying to document a new experience with photographs. I have traveled to (fill in the blank) and taken less than twenty pictures. When I do take trip or holiday photos, I often download them weeks or months later. The photos that linger in my mind are in my memories; I rarely look at the actual photos again. Even though I still made all of the first camino mistakes of bringing too much, I knew to the gram the weight of every single item that I considered putting into my pack. I knew that I could not personally justify carrying a camera. It was a clear and conscious choice to leave it at home. I regretted that decision within three hours of landing in Bilbao.

Luckily, there was a camera shop two doors down from my hostal. (The Camino provides) :) I was busy figuring out logistics to Roncesvalles. I never could have added a camera quest. Unfortunately, that mini-camera died a few years later on the final leg of my camino, before I even took a single cow picture. Even though a Camino friend sent me all of his photos, what another person chooses to capture is not the same as your own most memorable, most beautiful photograph. The experience is impossible enough to communicate to other people, you might wish you could share some photos that are uniquely meaningful to you.

My screen saver is a 5 km marker to Los Arcos on a July morning. I just now realized that some of my best and “worst” Camino memories are from the 24 hours surrounding that photograph. My advice would be to take a small, lightweight camera.

I agree. Take a small lightweight digital camera. Buying one in Spain is much more expensive than at home.
You need not use it if you don't want to...but it will be there if special moments arise..as they certainly will.
Special people and places sometimes fade a little in our memories and the picture will be a treasure.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
One of the real miracles of our high tech world is the availability of cheap, good, limitless photos.

Everytime I dig up a picture of one of our pilgrimages, I end up going through them all. They all fit on a tiny chip, and they make me smile.

grayland said:
I agree. Take a small lightweight digital camera. Buying one in Spain is much more expensive than at home.
You need not use it if you don't want to...but it will be there if special moments arise..as they certainly will.
Special people and places sometimes fade a little in our memories and the picture will be a treasure.

Do you need to update your avatar, to me it implies no camera :mrgreen:

I'm not taking a phone or a camera, a pencil or two & an old sketch book, a drawing a day.

I want to be as close to my own pilgrimage as possible......

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
camera... definatley a camera.

Nab one through duty free on the wayout of the country and ensure that it goes in a water tight bag or is water resistant.

If you over there in April / May you may (sorry may-may) see me running around with my cameras too...

A small digital camera with several cards rather than one large capacity card was my choice.
I used one card for the journey to the starting point, a fresh card for the Camino itself, then removed it and put it somewhere safe and changed to another card for the days in Santiago. Photos for the return journey went on the original card.
A bit complicated maybe but at least if I lost the camera I wouldn't have lost all my photos. They help bring back all those memories.

On our training walks sometimes I forget to take the camera. That is usually the day when I really want to use it :cry: .
My camera uses 2 ordinary AA batteries so they are easy to replace in Spain. I carry a spare set and the camera itself would go in my pocket, although I usually have it hung in its case so I don't lose it.

Wow, so many responses! Thank you all for your stories and suggestions.

Falcon, I love your little piece of wisdom that it's how little not how much you need. I think perhaps I'll reconsider the camera question when I've gotten everything I *really truly* do need together and weighed it, then I know how much 'luxuries' weight I have to play with, if any.

Carli - I very much like this idea of taking a light disposable camera and just a few photos - then they really will be 'treasures'. I wasn't even aware that those disposable cameras were still being manufactured (!) but I remember from my childhood how light they were.

Wawpdx - your post was poetic and lovely but left me more uncertain than ever! :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Abbeydore said:
grayland said:

I'm not taking a phone or a camera, a pencil or two & an old sketch book, a drawing a day.

I like this idea very much Abbeydore. If only I could draw above a second-grade level! ;)

ward4e said:
camera... definatley a camera.

Nab one through duty free on the wayout of the country and ensure that it goes in a water tight bag or is water resistant.

If you over there in April / May you may (sorry may-may) see me running around with my cameras too...

Hmm. I'm pretty sure I saw you somewhere else around these parts talking about lugging all manner of photographic equipment around with you! I'm thinking you might be afflicted with the same photography obsession that has struck a few of my close friends and family... so I'm going to take your advice with a grain of salt! ;)

However with any luck I will run into you setting up a shot somewhere and I can adopt you as my official camino photographer! Just don't go shooting me from any unflattering angles ;)

Do you know when/where you're starting yet?

PS. I'm formerly of Brisvegas also!

caitlin_s said:
Abbeydore said:
grayland said:

I like this idea very much Abbeydore. If only I could draw above a second-grade level! ;)

Me too, I'm crap @ drawing, so I'm going to try 'doing outlines'
Maybe just my boots one day or the outline of clouds in the sky who knows, what I am taking is several sheets of A4 with songs printed on them, If I get carried away I may print several copies so one can get a sing-song going while walking. Also learning spanish, so feel these luxuries will be far more important than a camera :!:

Okay, here is the heart of it: I think I am a good person to answer your question because I am not a snap happy camera buff. I understand your hesitation about carrying a camera. Last June I spent a few weeks in France to start to learn French for my next camino. I had a great trip but I did not feel the need to download and really see my photos until November. I understand that photographs are more important to some people than to others. I am in the “others” but I never regretted having a camera on the camino, right in my pocket, ready to pull it out, take the photo and keep on walking.

And -- Abbeydore, when you stay in the albergue with the singing nuns in Carrion de los Condes –- which I know you will do -- ask out the location of the albergue with their sister nuns someplace between Sahagun and El Burgo Ranero. They sing also.

Nancy

If you like art, check out the comment books that are in most albergues. Talented pilgrims have made some very nice drawings in them, and they did not have to take along any art supplies. I stayed in one gite in France where the host individually drew each stamp.

Hola Caitlin,
Greetings from Dublin.
I would strongly advise bringing a camera.I had the journey of a lifetime in September 2011 when I walked from Astorga to Muxia.The photos I took along the way of people and places are indeed etched in my mind but are truly embellished and brought to life every time I look at them(which is almost everyday !!!).I brought a small digital camera (Fuji Film Finepix Jx370) that was perfect.It is very small,compact and very light.I reckon they cost about 90-100 AUS dollars.I would really have regretted NOT taking along my camera.As the saying goes 'a picture paints a thousand words!'.

Buen Camino,
Peter

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Definately take a camera, there are so many amazing things to see and with time you may not remember them all. When you are back home you can look at your photos and they will bring back good memories. Even now I look at my photos and it's like "oh yes, I remember that" and it triggers an avalanche of memories. I would definately recommend a lightweight camera! Plus it give friends and family at home a small insight into your incredibly journey.

Well, it depends a lot. I had my camera with because I am keen on photographing. But the thing is (at least for me) that you loose some part of freedom to just observe nature surrounding you. I sometimes even felt sorry for having my camera because instead of enjoying the surroundings I was just thinking "what could be a good photo". Anyway, there is so much great photos from Camino all over the internet that you will definitely find your favourite places pictured even better than you would capture it. But it is just what I felt like. But as for the mobile phone - I believe that anybody on Camino should be able to help anyone. There are definitely some less frequented places (for example in Pyrenees) or alternative routes and you should be able to call help if necessary. I think that nowadays mobile phone is pretty important part of first aid kit. Just try to thnik about that :)

Buen Camino!

Just to add my tuppenceworth! On my first long Camino I decided not to take a camera as I felt that my picture memories and daily journaling would be enough. And that worked I did have lots of really accurate images and all the associated emotions in my head. But against my advice my walking partner decided to bring her camera (now this was only a little thing but it had to have a charger and all that business). I must admit I felt a little bit of moral superiority at somehow having a 'leaner' Camino :oops: .
However a month or two after our return Frances presented me with a large format album of our journey- it is without question the best present I've ever received :? . The images trapped there not only bring things back to mind that I'd forgotten but also bring the people, places and events that I recall well even more clearly into focus. Looking at any pilgrims photographs is very evocative but the images she took of our Camino seem to have particular resonance even years after.
I now carry my journal....and a little camera on my Jacobswegs and, while I'm not half as good a photographer as Frances, I find a great deal of pleasure reviewing my amateur efforts- so on balance its well worth the additional (small) weight.
Nell

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
As the camino is a very personal way, i wanted to skip my camera(semi-professional one, around 500 gr with batteries), although i like very much to take pictures, and others say they are very nice ones :)
when my friends, who are longing for years to make the camino heard that, they said: THE CAMERA IS A MUST!!! FOR THEM!!!! I MUST TAKE IT TO BRING HOME SOME OF THE MEMORIES. they cannot show even 1% of what you experience, anyway they touch other people, too!!!! i made 3 caminos, all of them with camera :) the pictures are a nice reminder of your interior-camino, too.

My question would be: to DSLR or not to DSLR. For me, a camera is a must. And buying a cheap pocket camera just for the camino just feels like a waste of money now I finally own my own D90. I know it is heavy, but if would buy an extra smaller camera, I would buy one that I would probably almost never use again.

Soliwo said:
My question would be: to DSLR or not to DSLR. For me, a camera is a must. And buying a cheap pocket camera just for the camino just feels like a waste of money
I am the proud owner of a Nikon D300, which is far too heavy to take with me on my Camino.
Opposite to your opinion, I did buy a lightweight coolpix P80.
It did its job on the Camino, but back in Holland I sold at the speed of light.
For my next Camino (autumn '12) I anticipate on buying yet another lightweight Camera.
Haven't decided yet. Has to be lightweight, small, quick at hand, and I want a proper view-finder.
On my Camino there was a Spanish guy with a D200, always carrying it in his hand. He had some back-problems. And I think his right arm is some 2 inches longer nowadays. :)
I also met a young German architect, who didn't take his camera, but on the places where it did matter, he sat down and made lovely drawings.
So as always: everyone makes his own Camino.

Ultreya,
Carli Di Bortolo

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
dutchpilgrim said:
For my next Camino (autumn '12) I anticipate on buying yet another lightweight Camera.
Haven't decided yet. Has to be lightweight, small, quick at hand, and I want a proper view-finder.

Good luck finding a proper view finder. They are no longer available, but at least the screens are good enough now as to not be useless outdoors. Same goes for over the counter batteries.

I got a Nikon coolpix s8000, and I must say, I have to be on top of my game to do better with my SLR.

I use a Canon Powershot SD1100 IS with a viewfinder. In fact, that is the feature that sold me on the camera. It is very lightweight and I have many wonderful photos of my caminos. I'm not sure that this model is still available, but Canon now has the SD1200 with a viewfinder.
Suzanne

Viewfinders seem to be mainly only on more expensive cameras now, which I find annoying but it seems to be the way of things. There are some cameras that just take AA batteries though, designed pretty much for the travel camera market. I bought a Canon Powershot SX150 IS, and the 2xAA batteries last for ages. I have learned to live without a viewfinder, albeit reluctantly.
Margaret

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
CAMERA = take take take

PHONE = take take take.
you never know when its going to be usefull.

I have found it very very very usefull on a number of occasions. You are rearely "on your own at that time of year but at times it may be some time before someone passes, Ive seen a number of people trip and fall, mostly quite simply nothing dramtic, but I've also seen and been in a situation when an emergency call was necessary, sooooo TAKE BOTH.

You can always not turn it on if you dont want to. And seriously if the weight is an issue, then you have more serious problems than the decision. if you know what i mean.

Have a great walk

Pablo

Ive seen a number of people trip and fall
Of course, trekking poles will help prevent this, and they are useful in navigating standing water!

scikowski said:
Canon now has the SD1200 with a viewfinder.
Suzanne

I think the issue with viewfinders is that you can't fit a good one into a small camera. The sd 1200 has only a 3x optical zoom, so a little viewfinder can handle it. For the same money you can get a smaller camera with decent 10x optical zoom, but no tiny viewfinder can cover that much range.

Well, I did some searching on the internet:
Panasonic DMC-GH2K
Nikon P500

Indeed, EVF's and therefore not giving details, not the contrast I am used to, not comparable to my DSLR, but as did my P80, it allows me focus on the object.
A lot to be searched, and I will be leaving in autumn, lots of time...

Ultreya,
Carli Di Bortolo

One of my reasons for undertaking my first Camino was to take photos along the way. As a result, i was willing to sacrifice other items just so that I could carry my DSLR and related chargers, batteries and equipment. Photography for me is not about recording memories for posterity but creating beautiful images. That said, having a camera with me 24/7 did allow for an overlap of those purposes.

I'd recommend bringing a camera along though not necessarily a fully featured DSLR. Compact cameras are becoming increasing lighter and improving in image quality year on year. Saving weight is always a concern when one is walking so many kilometers but sometimes the focus on weight blinds us to other virtues.

Hi Caitlin

Take a camera! Even if you dont have a good one or you dont want to carry one, then consider taking an iPhone 4S.

The iPhone 4S not only shoots great photos, it has a HD video recorder with a built in stabilizer, and you have the ability to upload your photos directly to your favorite photo sharing site.

And you can pick up email, Tweet about your experiences, etc

Cheers

Neville
Photos from my 2011 Camino - shot using a Nikon D70
https://picasaweb.google.com/1094336834 ... tiago2011#

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
To add to jirit:

Yes, an Apple iPhone 4S but also activate PhotoStream which will, when on WiFi network, stream your photos back to you home computer (if it has iPhoto with PhotoStream).

Also, on an iPhone 4S, consider getting Pro HDR which adds great depth to landscape photos.

I was feeling conflicted over this question myself until a few days ago. In 2006, I carried a camera most of the way. In 2009, my lens broke and so I did not have the camera most of the walk. I packed it up and left it at Ivar & Frank's place for half the Camino. It was nice not having it to worry about. It was nice not having that extra weight in my waist pack. I didn't really miss it.

But then, this week, Joe and I began talking about our past walks and we'd say, "Remember that place.... or Remember that person?"

It was wonderful to be able to refer to our 2006 photos.
It was sad not to be able to do the same for our 2009 trip. :cry:

I will take a camera this trip.
I'm looking for something small but good.
I have an iPhone 3 - I can't exchange it for the 4 because I have a wonderful unlimited data plan that would go away if I bought a 4 - so I'm not sure what I'll do yet.

Suggestions for an affordable, lightweight camera are welcome.

And as for your question, I'd say, "Take a camera. The photos are so wonderful to be able to share and look at again and again."

As a sidenote... do a search and find Lovingkindness' LOOOOOONG photo blog of her trip.
That may be the thing that convinces you.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Two comments, bearing in mind I have not yet made this pilgrimage.

First, I made a 8200 mile plus motorcycle 'pilgrimage' and my real camera failed the first day out. i took all the photos for the following 30 days with my android phone. Simple, did not use zoom or anything, just framed meaningful objects and scenes. They came out great. Almost weightless and had the advantage of being a phone as well. USB charger was also pretty light and compact. I am not sure about using it in Spain, but there are lots of other discussions on that technology.

Second, it might be very meaningful if you can't draw (neither can I) to set your mind to writing pictures so that the readers can paint, in their own mind, the scene, and when you read it the 'reality' of the place will be refreshed. I think that this will leverage your in-the-momentness as well. I have enrolled in a writing class this spring with one of the objectives to improve my ability to write well for the Camino in my future.

What do you think about a journal to record these word sketches?

My camera was the very last thing I reluctantly decided to leave behind on my dining room table the night before I left for my camino. I was desperate to reduce my pack weight, and decided I'd rely on my iPhone camera instead. I purchased a small camera case at REI that clipped on to the waist belt of my pack, where I kept my phone, enough money for the current day's walk, and a single credit card. This allowed me to access those items quickly and easily....convenient during the frequent stops for cafe or a coke. I wish I could show you the quality of my camino photos! The friends and family with whom I have shared them can not believe they were taken with a phone. Although I intended to journal along the way, I ended up tossing the small notebook I brought after a few days - I found that I was just too tired to write in the evenings, and I was glad to be free of the weight. My photos now serve as my "journal" and I periodically go back and look through them to reminisce. I also found my phone to be invaluable - for things like staying in touch with camino friends, and most importantly, when I had an allergy attack along the way and needed to make medical arrangements. I also got in the habit of texting my husband a single scenic photo each day (cost less than $1, check your text plans)..it was my way of letting him know that I was OK, and his way of feeling connected to me. In the end, we all learn the true lesson of the Camino - you don't really neeeeeed anything. But I was sure glad for my phone and photos ;)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
OLDBIKERIDER said:
Two comments, bearing in mind I have not yet made this pilgrimage.

Second, it might be very meaningful if you can't draw (neither can I) to set your mind to writing pictures so that the readers can paint, in their own mind, the scene, and when you read it the 'reality' of the place will be refreshed. I think that this will leverage your in-the-momentness as well. I have enrolled in a writing class this spring with one of the objectives to improve my ability to write well for the Camino in my future.

Think this is a good idea: anything we produce "from our own hand must have more 'power'",
than a artificial digi pic...... :lol:

OLDBIKERIDER said:

I really like this idea but I know from my own experience that keeping a written record of the Camino can be hard work. I started my Camino journal full of enthusiasm but after a about a week, I was already a few days behind and after two weeks I was almost a full week behind. Playing catch-up wasn't as much fun. After the third week, I'd stopped writing.

On the other hand, my camera was always within reach and so I'd take shots throughout the day as I'd walk along. While I set out to create a body of photos (I'm a photographer after all) I also took shots simply to remind me of what I'd seen along the way.

For example; my mother and I (mostly I) are building a stone walled garden at the front of her house, so are several shots of stone walls and paths that I took simply to give her ideas for the garden.

That said, I Korean girl I was walking with, filled her journal with little thumbnail sketches of what she had seen as well a written record and it really added to the overall feel. Although her journal was private, she let me have a look as she was writing in Korean and knew that I couldn't read the characters.

I'm walking the Camino again this August, and in addition to trying out a few alternative routes that I didn't take last year, I'll be making more of an effort to keep a journal, knowing that I need to sit down and give myself time to update it everyday. Photography is my passion, so bringing a camera is a given for me but I'd also like to record those aspects of the Camino experience that a camera can't capture.

Hi Catlin

Take a camera. This is an unforgettable experience and deserves to be properly archived for those who may come into your life in later years, not to mention the pleasure you will derive from looking back on your experiences.

A photograph is much more than a one dimensional representation of a scene. It will recall for you smells, sounds, people and what was going on around you. The peripheral happenings that memory can sometime hide. It will link your journey from start to finish and will bring into sharp focus the laughter and tears, aches and blisters, friends and irritants. Above all you will relive the sense of euphoria you felt when you look at the photograph of yourself out side the cathedral in Santiago.

You don’t have to burden yourself with a large SLR and lenses. I took these

http://www.blurb.com/books/2635092

With this http://www.dpreview.com/products/canon/ ... /canon_s95

A very light compact point and shoot that I carried in my pocket and never had any problem when it came to charging the battery. You can get a couple of large capacity cards that will have more than enough room for all your photos.

They may not win any awards but they make great Christmas presents. :D

Good luck

Roger

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My Camera was a handheld Panasonic with a built in zoom. It was absolutely perfect for the trip.

My camera recorded so much more for me that just a photo. The pictures bring back beautiful memories and evoke the feelings I experienced in that time or place on the Camino.

Sunrises in colors so vivid they seem almost unreal, the meseta that seemed to stretch on into infinity, churches and towns I will cherish forever, these are some of the many photos I took. In Ledigos, I had a conversation with a local man, and ended up taking a photo of him with his dog. He gave me his address and I sent him the photo when I returned home.

My only regret was not getting more pictures of the wonderful pilgrims I met along the way.

Take a camera, you will not regret having carried it when you look back.

'Solvitur Ambulando'
- St. Augustine

Caitlin,

I too am going April/ May and as a photographer I am taking my camera. if you opt not to take yours you are more than welcome to any photos of mine you want once I get back and post them.
I know it's not the same as taking your own shot of what you have seen, but the offer is there.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Anakasha said:
...........if you opt not to take yours you are more than welcome to any photos of mine you want once I get back and post them.
I know it's not the same as taking your own shot of what you have seen, but the offer is there.

Anakasha, That's very kind , may take you up on that offer, David

Hi Caitlin,

I'm not much of a picture-taker myself and debated with the same question last year before I walked. I decided to take a small, light-weight camera with me, which I got as a gift...until then, I didn't even own a camera :)

Your question made me reflect on the subject and I have to say that in retrospect, I'm VERY happy that I took the camera with me. While on the Camino, I enjoyed being able to take pictures, but I appreciate it even more now, that I can look back at that incredible experience, almost finding it hard to believe that it really happened the way it did.

I was very mindful of weight and carried with me a total of 8 kg, water included, so I think you can get along quite well with a light, pocket camera, without affecting the weight all that much. I was also not interested in any electronics, and didn't have anything with me...no phone, music, ipad...I decided at the end to take the camera with me and looking back, I'd highly recommend taking one. You can always decide when and if to pull it out or not, but it's nice to have the option. At times, it'll be nothing like what your eyes and body see. At other times, it might capture a magical moment or experience you'll cherish for many years.

Here's a favorite...you can find more in the link below:
http://michalrinkevich.wordpress.com/2012/01/22/so-you-think-you-wanna-walk/img_0527-3/

Buen Camino!
Michal
--
http://michalrinkevich.wordpress.com/tag/camino-de-santiago/

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I missed the start of this, but if I could make one observation. That is that the camera you can reach and use with your pack on will allow you to take many more photos than one that gets stored in the top of your pack.

I forgot this, and was continually frustrated by thinking about whether I was going to stop, get the camera out, take a photo, put the camera back, get the pack back on, walk on ... and then see a better view 100m or so further on! As a result, most of the photographs I took were in the towns and villages where I stayed overnight.

I subsequently bought a compact Olympus with a small pouch that I can clip onto my pack. It does have a proprietary battery with its own charger, but all up its under 400gm all up in its pouch with a spare battery, cards and lens cleaning cloth. This is about 20% lighter than the 'bridge' style camera I carried on the Camino. The camera and pouch is about 250gm, the rest is charger and cord that would have to be carried in a pack on the Camino.

There is a Canon mentioned earlier in this thread that uses a couple of AA cells. Something like that would be a slightly better option for a Camino.

Regards,

€46,-
For me pictures are really important especially when I travel and find new experiences. I look back over over people, places and events by viewing my pictures and photography allows me to share experiences with others too.
On my Camino in September I took a smart phone that has a high quality camera built in. It is also there for emergencies as previously mentioned (switch it to aeroplane mode whilst walking and still take photos). You also have the advantage of being able to connect to the internet using wifi in cafes along the way. This is especially useful for changing/ booking flights and buses researching local attractions, weather reports etc.
Perhaps you just want to get away from it all for a bit but for me the phone/ camera was invaluable.
Here is a short clip I put together of my camino.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AVn-2AdlEI&feature=g-upl&context=G20cdd7dAUAAAAAAADAA

I will definitely be bringing a camera with me on my Camino this Spring, photos can bring back great memories at a later time. A small compact one would be perfect.

A deep question, and I confess that I didn't read all the replies. I always travel with my cameras but one of my best friends doesn't even have one, yet his memories seem to be more bright than mine. The camera can be a rude companion but it can also serve you well, and keep memories you haven't even noticed on the road.
May not be a question of weight but one of state of mind?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I had a small camera with me, but didn't use it much. The only thing I miss now, a year after my pilgrimage, is to have some pictures of the people I met on the way. As for the landscapes and stuff, I think it is better to take some time to appreciate the beauty without thinking everytime about what you're going to tell or show to your people back home.
Words are closer to imagination, and imagination is closer to the reality of what you'll see.

Iphone 4s is all I need. Last year on another walk i brought a sony SLR, got some amazing photos, but it was just too heavy to carry and would not be easy on the camino I think... But could be wrong

which camera to bring with you ?Re: To camera or not to came

Hi All
Here is the Canon 1200
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-Digital-C ... 783&sr=1-1

"The immediate attraction of this camera is that it has an optical viewfinder ~ not really a luxury but, these days, almost a surprise. The lcd screen is excellent but, in bright sun, the vf comes into its own.
The camera is compact enough to fit into a jacket pocket."

I bought this last year when I returned from my Camino and will bring it with me this April when I return to the Camino Del norte..see next post also.

To discuss the camera or not to camera..
There is a well known Irish Journalist I admire who writes lots of travel articles and has never , ever brought a camera with her. (Rosita Boland). This made me think. Yes I have boxes of albums of photos taken since I was 14 ?, then the family holidays etc etc. Essential to keep some of them.
The Camino ? weight, carrying, things to remember, like batteries on charging overnight, the memory card if you put it into the pc to upload to your blog ?. I left behind my charger and my battery the night before La Faba. Walking up La Faba was a glorious day, the views were heavenly. I didn't miss the camera. I missed it in Santiago, maybe I would never be here again, I would have liked some photos.
I have 4 cameras now. I am a new member of a camera club. I would love to take my slr, but will not risk it. I have a slr bridge, weighed it last year and it takes aa batteries also, then I decided to take the small, compact, fit on my belt or in my short pocket one. While I had it I got some lovely memories, I do indeed look at them and say, oh that day we stopped and ate ? or that little church was in Ages..one Czech girl used a camera with a gps on it and she was able to write captions on her return, the little cross in xxxx, I could not remember the names, but I could remember the road, the path, the mist, the destination...I will never forget it, and the pictures of my fellow pilgrims are precious.

windswept said:
Hi Catlin

Take a camera. This is an unforgettable experience and deserves to be properly archived for those who may come into your life in later years, not to mention the pleasure you will derive from looking back on your experiences.

A photograph is much more than a one dimensional representation of a scene. It will recall for you smells, sounds, people and what was going on around you. The peripheral happenings that memory can sometime hide. It will link your journey from start to finish and will bring into sharp focus the laughter and tears, aches and blisters, friends and irritants. Above all you will relive the sense of euphoria you felt when you look at the photograph of yourself out side the cathedral in Santiago.

You don’t have to burden yourself with a large SLR and lenses. I took these

http://www.blurb.com/books/2635092

With this http://www.dpreview.com/products/canon/ ... /canon_s95

A very light compact point and shoot that I carried in my pocket and never had any problem when it came to charging the battery. You can get a couple of large capacity cards that will have more than enough room for all your photos.

They may not win any awards but they make great Christmas presents. :D

Good luck

Roger
Thanks for sharing your book. I was worried about the quality of the photos from the S95 but no longer. I am stoked.

I say take a camera/Phone with camera you will not regret.

Zo

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Take a phone with a camera.

I have just returned from the Camino Frances and I took a Nikon D800 and used a Lowepro toploader pro http://www.lowepro.com/toploaderpro so that it was at my front and accessible at all times. It slung under my arm and was very comfortable. Being independent of my backpack was crucial as it would have been impossible to take off my pack every time I wanted a photo.
It weighed about 4kg on my front but balanced the rear pack nicely and as i am a big guy it did not impede my progress. I also took my iPhone and used hipstamatic for quick symbol shots and found this to be great fun and I took hundreds of shots and got some great shots with this. If you are smaller and really are not fussed about big prints, maybe an iphone or a small high res camera like a Canon S95 (great quality 12mb) will suffice and save you a lot of weight. For me, not taking my 35mm was not an option although i had to have it with me at all times unless I was staying in a hotel.

I have started to upload my photos of this fantastic experience and will be completed by December 2012. Videos as well.

http://markhiggins.com.au/galleries/camino-de-santiago/

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I had both my iPhone 4S and a Panasonic Lumix TS-20 with a Leica lens and GPS capabilities. I carried the compact camera in a pouch on my waist. The phone fit perfectly in a pocket halfway down my right leg and was easier to access. There were times when I did quick snaps with the phone. Other times I wanted the superior lens, resolution and zoom capabilities of the Panasonic and its multiple settings. I was really glad I had both.

Bring the camera. Easy to carry and the memories it creates add to the memories you will create.

G'day Folks! :D What an interesting discussion! My feeling is that with so many lightweight cameras around now it makes sense to have one available. My camera has a case that can be attatched to the straps of my pack for easy access should a photo opportunity present itself. There again, should you decide against a camera postcards mailed home from El Camino can provide a visual record of your pilgrimage and can be looked at when you return.
Best regards
Dave

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
it all depends on how important photographs are to you.

The iPhone 5 weighs 135 gms without charger. However it has a fixed lens, which is not very wide, and you have limited control over image capture. However, there are some terrific apps out there that can enhance your photography.

If you want to take some telephoto shots, then you'll be using the "digital" zoom, and so you'll be losing resolution. The iPhone has a small sensor, and it's only 8MP, and it doesn't handle low light situations as well as a compact camera with a larger sensor.

I leave in less than 4 weeks now on my first Camino, and I've given this a lot of thought. I've been considering taking my Nikon D3200 with a 12-24mm f4 lens (equiv 18-36mm). It has a 24MP sensor and can handle up to 3200 ISO, which means I can shoot in very low light. However with charger and a couple of batteries it comes in at 1.25kgs.

So I'm taking a little Fujifilm x10 - it has a 28-112mm f2-2.8 lens, tack sharp, and it weighs (with charger and batteries) 635 gms.

Ultimately you have to ask yourself - are you doing this pilgrimage to take photographs? Or is the camera simply there to help you record special moments...

My iPhone was one of the best thinga I carried. I never made a phone call, but t was reassuring to know I could if necessary.

I had a great app called Wise Pilgrim that took the place of a guidebook. I used it as a journal. I wrote to my family a few times, and I used the terrific camera throughout this incredible journey. I gathered emails from fellow pilgrims and stored them on the phone.

I didn't feel I was tied to technology, but this small lightweight item had too many useful functions to leave behind. By far, I used the camera the most and carried it in my zipped pants pocket every day.

I have just returned from my Camino from St Jean-Pied-de-Port to Santiago and on to Finisterre and Muxia. In preparation for the Camino I have considered this question a lot and decided not to bring my Canon 5D with zoom lens that equals 1,5 kilogram. Instead I brought the new Canon EOS M (only 500 gram) and made a clever hook to carry it on ready for action while walking. Only on the few rain days it was packed in my backpack to stay dry.

I made over 2000 photo's during the 900 kilometer walk and I am very happy that I brought this camera. In some cases I missed the advanced zoom lens my other camera would have provided, so perhaps next time I will bring the other camera with full zoom options. But I am very glad I did not stay on the iPhone camera. Then again it all depends on the quality you are looking for, for me the iPhone quality was not sufficient and the EOS M's quality was.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back