• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

To carry or not to carry an hair dryer?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Find the reaction to this incredible! There is another discussion on the forum re hairdryers at https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/hairdryer-on-the-walk.52022/#post-572868 (not sure if this is the right way to point someone there). In any case, my wife took her hairdryer on the Camino Frances and was glad she did. So were other ladies that borrowed it from her so they'll love you too! Now if it was a brick I'd say leave it but it probably weighs about nothing so it won't make a difference. So, take the thing if you feel you need it.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello everyone,

EDIT: Ok, I really don't care about drying my hair. I like to dry it out naturally. The only thing I really can't stand is when I go to bed and my hair is still slightly damp. Humid, behind or close to the scalp. So, it's not I'm like spoiled or anything. On the contrary. I love adventure, and I can adapt to all situations. I just hate to have damp, maybe cold hair and skin right on my pillow.

I'm starting my first Camino from SJPDP in early May. I have read a lot so far, but couldn't find much on hair dryers. Now, how do you handle that?
I intend to take a shower every day, so to have an hairdryer at my disposal will be crucial, but I don't think Albergues would provide you with one, and even if they did have a couples to borrow, I'm sure the waiting would be quite long to say the least. :)
I will split between hostels and hotels , but even pensions and hotels may not have them. Therefore, after pondering about this potential issue, I have come to the conclusion that I will carry a relatively small one made for traveling. However, I'm interested to know your opinions and your habits for that matter while you are on the Camino. Do you, or you do not, carry an hairdryer in your backpack? And if not, how do you cope with that?
Thanks to all in advance, and buen Camino!
Greetings,
If you plan on staying in an Albergues, then yes. Also the competition for mirror space can be brutal so I would also take one of those plugin magnifying mirrors to plugin next to your bunk. If you are planning on doing your own cooking, the pans can be minimal so a good 12” cast iron frying pan is a good idea as well.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If you are ok carrying one take it. Bring a light cheap one just in case you change your mind though.

I carry a set of hair clippers on every camino I have walked. (But I walk for 5-6 months each time).

Davey
5-6 months per each Camino is pretty cool.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I saw an Asian guy with quite a big hair dryer 5 days ago. Normally you would shower when you arrive at the albergue, which for most people is usually between 1&6, so u wouldn't be going to bed with wet hair . I think you'd be mad to bring it, unless it weighs v.little

I suspect the poster who suggested it was not being serious.
I suspect much of the irony of this thread is being lost. Hairdryer for short haired man walking the Camino - all those serious replies, it's been one of the funniest threads in ages!

The only hair dryer I encountered on the Camino was by a mostly bald Italian man on the bunk below mine. He appeared to be drying the pages in his guidebook. Yes, I got a picture because I knew you wouldn't believe me.

View attachment 54946
I love this photo, it sums up the eccentricities you see on the Camino so well.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
5-6 months per each Camino is pretty cool.

I soon figured out it was cheaper walking the camino than sitting at home watching TV and paying the bills! I usually give my flat to a mate to stay in for free as long as they pay the bills. After six months my boots and other equipment need replacing so I come home to do that, otherwise I would be there permanently (walking and volunteering). Even at six months a year I figured out I would be about 130 years old before I got to walk every marked camino across Europe!

Davey

Hello everyone,

EDIT: Ok, I really don't care about drying my hair. I like to dry it out naturally. The only thing I really can't stand is when I go to bed and my hair is still slightly damp. Humid, behind or close to the scalp. So, it's not I'm like spoiled or anything. On the contrary. I love adventure, and I can adapt to all situations. I just hate to have damp, maybe cold hair and skin right on my pillow.

I'm starting my first Camino from SJPDP in early May. I have read a lot so far, but couldn't find much on hair dryers. Now, how do you handle that?
I intend to take a shower every day, so to have an hairdryer at my disposal will be crucial, but I don't think Albergues would provide you with one, and even if they did have a couples to borrow, I'm sure the waiting would be quite long to say the least. :)
I will split between hostels and hotels , but even pensions and hotels may not have them. Therefore, after pondering about this potential issue, I have come to the conclusion that I will carry a relatively small one made for traveling. However, I'm interested to know your opinions and your habits for that matter while you are on the Camino. Do you, or you do not, carry an hairdryer in your backpack? And if not, how do you cope with that?
I walked in September last year with long hair. It was dry before bedtime, and I put it in four or five braids all over my head to sleep. Next day my straight fine hair was wavy and looked thicker than it really is. If it got too hot on the road I just put it up in a band or buff. Worked well for me! Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Well, I was mocked mercilessly when I brought this up a while ago on this forum! Lol. Lots of people bring a luxury item, so I would say this could be yours. I would only advise you NOT to use it even remotely close to where sleeping pilgrims lie. I was going to bring one, not for my hair, but because I thought it would help with drying still damp merino wool socks in the mornings but alas, I did not bring one and I lived to tell the tale.

Buen Camino, whatever you decide!

Hello everyone,

My experience with a hair dryer iin the EU was once in 2017 when I plugged my small electric hair dryer into my adapter to use in my hotel room and promptly blew the breakers on our entire floor at our hotel in Italy. I can't imagine that the hostels will be able to accommodate the voltage. I just got home from walking the Portuguese Camino from Porto and I personally would choose to carry my rain gear than a hair dryer. We did stay in some hotels and I used their hair dryers, but it was not a big priority for me.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello everyone,

I vote leave it at home.

I'd like to chime in with a yes, take a hair dryer if you can find a light one and you feel like carrying it. I didn't have one but I will definitely take one next time. I walked from Apr 25 - Jun 2 and the weather was decent but after a long day, I was sweaty and dirty and needed a shower so my shoulder length hair was always wet/damp when we headed out to find food. Many times I found I felt chilled to the bone having damp hair in the afternoon/evenings. I didn't want to sit around waiting for my hair to dry because I was hungry and thirsty. I could put on a hat or a scarf but then my hair dried even slower.

That being said, I don't think I ever saw anyone with a dryer. Don't really care what other people do though, I'll be taking one next time.

ETA: I rarely use a blow dryer at home...

It's a vanity thing, I know, but we all have something.

I truly don't think it's always a vanity thing. I need my hair to be dry because I got chilled when it was wet and then I could not warm up. I think it was because I had been exercising all day.

What brand did you buy and how much does it weigh?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I don't think it vanity, at least in your case. But it always occurs to me to consider what measures were used for the 900 years or so of camino pilgrimages prior to the advent of electricity. About the only way a girl could get a quick blow dry in those days was to to have amorous dragon breathe heavy in her direction.
You could consider having your hair cut shorter, although some would consider that about as appealing as shaving it altogether.
And please bear in mind if staying in albergues that the use of hair-dryers may make the modest amount paid for accommodation insufficient to cover costs. I must admit though that observing the spectacle of plugging-in and shorting-out the entire village in an explosion of sparks might be quite diverting.

If you plan on staying in an Albergues, then yes
I love coming across a hair dryer when I stay in hotels, but would not take one to use in albergues because of the cost of electricity. Their margins are very tight. I would feel I was stealing, unless I paid extra or made some other recompense.
I never thought of this, @Kanga - it's a really good point.
Some people maybe feel fine with that. but breaking away from self-centeredness is one of the joys of the camino. So why not start thinking of others before we leave, with the packing list?

I don't think it vanity, at least in your case. But it always occurs to me to consider what measures were used for the 900 years or so of camino pilgrimages prior to the advent of electricity. About the only way a girl could get a quick blow dry in those days was to to have amorous dragon breathe heavy in her direction.
You could consider having your hair cut shorter, although some would consider that about as appealing as shaving it altogether.
And please bear in mind if staying in albergues that the use of hair-dryers may make the modest amount paid for accommodation insufficient to cover costs. I must admit though that observing the spectacle of plugging-in and shorting-out the entire village in an explosion of sparks might be quite diverting.

I agree if you're staying in albergues, that could be an issue. We didn't stay in too many so it wasn't a huge concern for us.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I don't think I've ever come across anyone on the Camino with a hairdryer. Others may have different experiences..........

My wife Pat :oops:
I carry a tiny travel hairdryer.....
Used for hair, warming up the socks in the morning............
You don't even need to say it.............'Princess' :rolleyes:

I should add we stay in private accommodation.

Last edited:
Yes. But...
What is important to you BEFORE you walk the Camino may not be so important to you WHILST you’re on the Camino 😉
I agree, and yet it's funny, some things I brought, although I suspected I may not have needed them, and yet was happy I had them, and other things I thought I'd want, I wouldn't take again. You never know until you're done and everyone is different so even someone else's opinion may not be relevant.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello everyone,

I think a hairdryer is essential, and not just for drying hair. We took a light travel one and used it every morning to dry any of our clothes that hadn't dried overnight. Our routine was to arrive at our accommodation usually around 2 pm, shower and hand wash our day's clothes and hang them out to dry. Then we would usually have a siesta before drinks and dinner. We were staying in pre-booked rooms, not hostels, and almost never had access to a laundry with a dryer so everything was washed by hand and dried on strings that we strung around our room. Many days found them still damp in the morning, so the hairdryer came in handy to get them dry so that we could pack them and send them on with our bags each morning. Yes, we didn't carry everything in a backpack so we could have the hairdryer and not worry about the weight, but we have discussed this and would still put one in, even if we did have to carry it.
I also always needed it to dry my hair as a hairdryer was a rarity in most hotels and I would have that siesta straight after my shower so I would have had to rest with wet hair.
Traveling in May is bound to be rather wet and rainy so the dryer will also be good to dry out your shoes, buff, hat, etc once you arrive at your destination.
Even if you are going to backpack and use hostels, you can still have your backpack sent on ahead to the municipal or any booked hostel. I know of many who started carrying it all and found that their knees couldn't cope and a few days later began to pre-book and send their backpack on ahead. Ignore those people who accuse you of not doing the Camino properly or not being a real pilgrim if you do and remember that the pre-modern pilgrim would use a horse or mule if they could afford one. Even Aymeric Picaud records in his Codex Calixtinus that his own horse died drinking at the salt river near Cirauqui and he was a priest. I hope that whatever you chose, enjoy your adventure. Buen Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I think a hairdryer is essential, and not just for drying hair. We took a light travel one and used it every morning to dry any of our clothes that hadn't dried overnight. Our routine was to arrive at our accommodation usually around 2 pm, shower and hand wash our day's clothes and hang them out to dry. Then we would usually have a siesta before drinks and dinner. We were staying in pre-booked rooms, not hostels, and almost never had access to a laundry with a dryer so everything was washed by hand and dried on strings that we strung around our room. Many days found them still damp in the morning, so the hairdryer came in handy to get them dry so that we could pack them and send them on with our bags each morning. Yes, we didn't carry everything in a backpack so we could have the hairdryer and not worry about the weight, but we have discussed this and would still put one in, even if we did have to carry it.
I also always needed it to dry my hair as a hairdryer was a rarity in most hotels and I would have that siesta straight after my shower so I would have had to rest with wet hair.
Traveling in May is bound to be rather wet and rainy so the dryer will also be good to dry out your shoes, buff, hat, etc once you arrive at your destination.
Even if you are going to backpack and use hostels, you can still have your backpack sent on ahead to the municipal or any booked hostel. I know of many who started carrying it all and found that their knees couldn't cope and a few days later began to pre-book and send their backpack on ahead. Ignore those people who accuse you of not doing the Camino properly or not being a real pilgrim if you do and remember that the pre-modern pilgrim would use a horse or mule if they could afford one. Even Aymeric Picaud records in his Codex Calixtinus that his own horse died drinking at the salt river near Cirauqui and he was a priest. I hope that whatever you chose, enjoy your adventure. Buen Camino.
Thanks, I just did an experiment today. I took a shower and let it dry naturally. Well, in a couple of hours I was all set. So, I don't think that I will bring one. But not because of it may increment the weight, but due to my backpack being already full. I considered carrying my computer laptop with me since I make a living online, and I'm still quite torn about it, but I may actually opt not to take it with me, because I reasonably came to the conclusion, that I'm not going to work much anyway on the Camino, for various reasons. I'll use my smartphone, for other things and projects, which are not part of the main job that brings the cash in for the time being, but whatever... Guess I'll work my ass off when I get back after a couple of months.
Thanks, and Buen Camino for your next one too!

Thanks, I just did an experiment today. I took a shower and let it dry naturally. Well, in a couple of hours I was all set. So, I don't think that I will bring one. But not because of it may increment the weight, but due to my backpack being already full.

Good that you made a test! If you stay in private accomodation every now and then, they can probably lend you one. I'd say 80% of the private places we stayed in our 3 caminos had hair dryers available in the room or at the reception. In the albergues, I saw none.

Good that you made a test! If you stay in private accomodation every now and then, they can probably lend you one. I'd say 80% of the private places we stayed in our 3 caminos had hair dryers available in the room or at the reception. In the albergues, I saw none.
Yeah, the experiment was worth it. It was a minor concern, but I'll be completely fine without one. At this point, I'd call the case closed. :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We actually met a French woman in Barcelos who carried a big hair dryer with her. It was noisy. So maybe, a thing to consider when using it.

@Gabe_Way don’t worry about all the sarcastic comments here, so unnecessary ... I have the same question and actually googled it: what is anyone’s experience with carrying/using a hairdryer on the Camino Frances?

Not because I am worried about looks, but because I have thick, fine hair that takes hours in whatever weather to dry close to the scalp, exacerbating / in combination with eczema on my scalp and inner ears. Super uncomfy, itchy, a bit gross, and leaves me prone to really painful ear infections. Using a hairdryer in combination with some prescription creme and drops is the only way I manage to keep it under control - and what my ENT doctor recommends.

So, for the sake of a comfortable, ear infection free Camino, this will be one of my luxuries. I’m going to be carrying a very tiny hairdryer to just completely dry those areas around my ears and the scalp that are prone to flaring up, once my hair is 90% dry (a good hair care tip for blow dryer users anyway... let it air dry mostly and then just finish it with heat.)

Also if you are using a small dryer and are very quick and considerate about it (just a few minutes, like under or no more than 3-5 min), the electricity usage critique is unwarranted. Finally, with regards to weight, people manage carrying laptops and camera gear: I think a tiny hairdryer will weigh in at much, much less.

I am still researching blow dryers as I obviously want the most lightweight, efficient, affordable one possible to invest in. It will be something I can use traveling or at the gym after. If I end up finding one worth recommending, I’ll post it here.

Remember it is your Camino: you do you for whatever reason!

@Gabe_Way don’t worry about all the sarcastic comments here, so unnecessary ... I have the same question and actually googled it: what is anyone’s experience with carrying/using a hairdryer on the Camino Frances?

Not because I am worried about looks, but because I have thick, fine hair that takes hours in whatever weather to dry close to the scalp, exacerbating / in combination with eczema on my scalp and inner ears. Super uncomfy, itchy, a bit gross, and leaves me prone to really painful ear infections. Using a hairdryer in combination with some prescription creme and drops is the only way I manage to keep it under control - and what my ENT doctor recommends.

So, for the sake of a comfortable, ear infection free Camino, this will be one of my luxuries. I’m going to be carrying a very tiny hairdryer to just completely dry those areas around my ears and the scalp that are prone to flaring up, once my hair is 90% dry (a good hair care tip for blow dryer users anyway... let it air dry mostly and then just finish it with heat.)

Also if you are using a small dryer and are very quick and considerate about it (just a few minutes, like under or no more than 3-5 min), the electricity usage critique is unwarranted. Finally, with regards to weight, people manage carrying laptops and camera gear: I think a tiny hairdryer will weigh in at much, much less.

I am still researching blow dryers as I obviously want the most lightweight, efficient, affordable one possible to invest in. It will be something I can use traveling or at the gym after. If I end up finding one worth recommending, I’ll post it here.

Remember it is your Camino: you do you for whatever reason!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Haha - thanks, and I love your attitude! My hairdryer is extremely small and probably weighs less than an iPad or a book. I like the comment above regarding drying your clothes sometimes. We got caught in a torrential downpour outside of Najera in May 2017, and I so wish I'd had something like a hairdryer for the inside of my shoes! I'm probably going to take it. Yes, it is my Camino after all.

I was mocked mercilessly when I asked this question before. Lots of people take a ‘luxury’ item, so why not a small, lightweight hair dryer?! I would take one next time though, but use it in the bathroom only. I think it could come in handy to dry still-wet socks in the morning!

Buen Camino!

I don't think I've ever come across anyone on the Camino with a hairdryer. Others may have different experiences..........
I just finished my Camino and remember meeting a woman whose pack weighed more than 13 kilos including her hair dryer. I don’t know if she needed a hairdryer, because she always was wearing a hat. Before my Camino I had my barber cut off almost all my hair (buzz cut), and then wore a hat while hiking. This meant that I didn’t waste time or have to think about how my hair might look. There are no fashion police on the Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
They have nice little blow dryers at the stores in Germany for 7.99€. This size would be perfect and the plug works for you in Spain. I think I would wait til you get to France or Spain to buy one.

I do exactly the same and on my first Camino Frances I brought a small, rechargeable electric clippers to shave my head. With the recharger it was a bit of weight, not much, but I feel cleaner when buzzed down, face and head. Unfortunately (or fortunately) I left it by mistake in an albergue in Najera, plugged in recharging. You are welcome whomever has it now, it was a Sony brand, dual voltage. :D
Now whenever I can I stop in a barber's shoppe along the Camino and get a complete buzz down, face and head.
Me too!! Easy solution and time saving!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Haha - thanks, and I love your attitude! My hairdryer is extremely small and probably weighs less than an iPad or a book. I like the comment above regarding drying your clothes sometimes. We got caught in a torrential downpour outside of Najera in May 2017, and I so wish I'd had something like a hairdryer for the inside of my shoes! I'm probably going to take it. Yes, it is my Camino after all.
I am on the Camino with a tiny hairdryer weighing 28grams, total pack 6kg.
I am currently drying my socks with my hairdryer and two fellow pilgrims waiting in line to use it after a very wet day!!!

Hello everyone,

Hahaha - you are joking - or are you!!

I’ve seen hair dryers in the left behind pile .....
So, I commented above about taking a hairdryer on the next Camino. I walked the Frances in 2017 and wished I’d had one - for hair, for clothes, for the inside of wet boots. Well I bought a small dryer, with European plug, that folds. It’s tiny, light, and frankly, when I would use it in the albergues, on the Frances in 2019, almost every woman looked at me like they wanted to borrow it or that they had one! It was my guilty pleasure - I was happy I brought it and I’ve taken it on the Portuguese in 2022 and 2023. Like my Amex card - won’t leave home without it!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.