• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

To Coast It Or Not

JeanneB

Time of past OR future Camino
St Jean to Leon (2005)
Portugues (2017)
I am looking for some moral support and realistic advice.

My first camino experience was in 2005, from St Jean to Leon in 2005 and ever since, I have been thinking about either finishing that route or trying a different route. A few friends suggested the Portuguese Coastal route - starting in Lisbon not just the coastal part from Porto onward. My current plan is to take this route starting in early September 2017 about the 8th), allowing 4+ weeks - although I haven't booked my flights yet (from BC, Canada).

I've been reading many posts on this forum over the past few months - everything from packing lists to bed bugs to the lack of pilgrims on this route to the need for good maps and even speaking Portuguese .... I send many thanks to all who share their knowledge and experience - and I am feeling more than a little anxious about choosing this route.

This time it looks as if I will be travelling on my own. I'm a middle-aged female in good physical shape - and feeling a nervous. The coastal route seems 'the road less travelled' in many ways. Am I biting off too much?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The coastal route seems 'the road less travelled' in many ways. Am I biting off too much?

Hi, my suggestion is to purchase a copy of John Brierley’s guide to the Camino Portugués – lots of helpful info and advice in there. You can buy a copy from this website:

https://www.santiagodecompostela.me/collections/guide-books

If you stay on the recognised way-marked (inland) route from Lisbon to Porto, and then the coastal route from Porto, you will be fine.
Bom caminho.
Jill

I don't think you are biting off too much but it may be psychologically more satisfying to take up where you left off last time. I am about to go back to continue the VDLP and it feels good.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You will see fewer pilgrims along the coastal route, at least for the first three to four days. After that, once you reach São Pedro de Rates, your route combines with the central route, heading up towards Spain. From there, you will see more pilgrims. However, this will still be a fraction of what you might see on the Camino Frances.

I hope this helps.

Hi, JeanneB, and welcome to the forum!

Since you managed to make your way to the Coastal route from Lisbon subforum, I'm assuming you have been able to see the very helpful threads there that will answer a lot of your questions. If not scroll through these 29 posts: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/forums/Coastal-Camino-from-Lisbon/.

I would say that the Caminho do Mar/Coastal route from Lisbon is a bit of a misnomer, because once it gets to Cascais, where the Tejo River empties into the ocean, it rapidly turns inland and follows a non-coastal route. There is a Trilho das Areias (Path of Sand) that does actually stay on the coast, but you will see that some members have had a lot of problems with that route and it is not part of the Camino so I think you won't be able to get as much help. And the coast near Lisbon is so jagged that to stay on the headlands/coast you will often feel like you are going one step forward and two steps back. It is beautiful, though - I have done a lot of day walking near there on the headlands.

Bom caminho, Laurie

Hi Jeanne, thanks for the questions. I started my Camino from Lisbon today. Taking it slowly - as an older woman! - just came as far as Moscavide. I did not see any pilgrims, in fact the looks I received gave me the impression that pilgrims were not so common along this part of The Camino. I look forward to meeting some others at Alpriate tomorrow evening.
Will write some posts and tell you of my journey. First Camino for me. Cheryl

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I am looking for some moral support and realistic advice.

My first camino experience was in 2005, from St Jean to Leon in 2005 and ever since, I have been thinking about either finishing that route or trying a different route. A few friends suggested the Portuguese Coastal route - starting in Lisbon not just the coastal part from Porto onward. My current plan is to take this route starting in early September 2017 about the 8th), allowing 4+ weeks - although I haven't booked my flights yet (from BC, Canada).

I've been reading many posts on this forum over the past few months - everything from packing lists to bed bugs to the lack of pilgrims on this route to the need for good maps and even speaking Portuguese .... I send many thanks to all who share their knowledge and experience - and I am feeling more than a little anxious about choosing this route.

This time it looks as if I will be travelling on my own. I'm a middle-aged female in good physical shape - and feeling a nervous. The coastal route seems 'the road less travelled' in many ways. Am I biting off too much?

I'm starting my first Camino on May 22nd from Porto, Portugal. I've found lots of good info and maps through Google and this forum. I'm doing the Sends de Litoral which is on the coast and criss crosses with the Coastal Camino.

I too am a woman 66 walking it on my own. Excited and nervous.

Buen Camino

Rina from Victoria BC

Most read last week in this forum

Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back