• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

To Cook Or Not To Cook

Frank Mestre

Let’s Camino
Time of past OR future Camino
1st. Camino coming up 29th. April
Camino Frances here I come.
Hi I am embarking on my first camino on 8th. June I am a chef and one of my pastimes/ passions is cooking outdoors. I was thinking of buying local produce and generally having fun cooking perhaps with a few fellow pilgrims around a contained fire. Should I take a pan, utencils, seasoning etc. Or is it a waste of time and effort?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I believe you will find cooking in the various Albergues a better format because you have the necessary cooking utensils in many, the people and you don't have to carry the extra weight. I think you will make a lot of friends this way!

Cooking as a chef using albergue kitchens sounds like a great idea! Most albergue kitchen are adequate but in Galicia the xunta albergues have no utensils, cutlery or dishes! Be forewarned.

Buen provecho!

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi, Frank, welcome to the forum.

I think it's hard to come up with a better entree to a group of hungry strangers than to say, "I'm a cook!" Only possibly better opener on the Camino would be "I'm a masseuse!"

My old pal @koilife (where are you koilife?) had a thread on this topic a few years ago, so take a look. I actually met and walked with him and his son for a few days and was the beneficiary of his cooking. It's not that he was cooking fabulous gourmet stuff, it's just that he had the knack of knowing how to make good meals with what was fresh in the market and available left over in the albergue.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...es-the-ideal-superlight-mobile-kitchen.25116/

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/how-to-be-more-like-koilife-in-the-kitchen.25231/

I think most of us will say that most of our memorable meal events happened in albergues around the table, having had the luck to find a cook/organizer to tell the rest of us what to do. We buy the food, we wash and chop, we clean up, and we let the cook do his/her work. It's a match made in heaven. (But I do think the outdoor fire idea is not totally viable).

My husband cooks all the meals at home. He will be cooking as we walk this fall. I'm not sure if he will bring seasonings or find them along the Way. Either way, he loves cooking for groups of people. Hope there will be hungry pilgrims to share with.

I'm sure you will be very popular. My husband was also a professional chef and one thing that makes him crazy is dull knives. If you are checking your pack or walking poles you may want to include a couple of lightweight and inexpensive KAI knives + some spices. If the albergue doesn't have utensils or plates you can pick up some paper plates and plastic cutlery when you shop for groceries.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
You may be popular with the group YOU are with but spare a thought for the ones who arrive just after you.

There was a very amiable French group in 2003 who would arrive, set up shop in the kitchen (if there was one) and produce amazing cuisine but be in there for hours. Nice guys but things would often turn ugly as nobody else got a look in.

Thanks guys ill take in all your points. I amagine ill be able to buy a good knife for the journey in St Jean?? as I cant take one in my hand luggage.

Last edited:
Hi I am embarking on my first camino on 8th. June I am a chef and one of my pastimes/ passions is cooking outdoors. I was thinking of buying local produce and generally having fun cooking perhaps with a few fellow pilgrims around a contained fire. Should I take a pan, utencils, seasoning etc. Or is it a waste of time and effort?

Hola @Frank - go for it; I am just more than a little envious that I will have finished my Camino when you are starting. As was recommended announcing your skills will get you more than a few friends. Hopefully the hospitaleros will cooperate, your fellow pilgrims (I expect) will offer to help with the food purchases and also be kitchen hands. A very special Buen Camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hola Frank. Sorry we won't be on the Camino at the same time. I too, like to throw things together to come up with meals. Would probably learn a thing or two from you. Buen Camino and buen provecho!

Just a note about the fire you mentioned - strictly forbidden in many parts of Spain, where the danger of wildfires is taken very seriously.

I have cooked five-course meals in albergues using whatever was on hand and what my new acquaintances carried - a fun challenge! I have also shown a restaurant owner in Segovia my Chaine des Rotisseurs pin and received an overwhelming welcome.

You may be popular with the group YOU are with but spare a thought for the ones who arrive just after you.

There was a very amiable French group in 2003 who would arrive, set up shop in the kitchen (if there was one) and produce amazing cuisine but be in there for hours. Nice guys but things would often turn ugly as nobody else got a look in.
The better the chef/cook the quicker he/her can knock up meals and be gone.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Cooking in albergue kitchens is one thing, open/contsined fire outdoors, will prove to be difficult. Finding ingredients may also prove to be difficult in small towns as the grocery stores are more of a convienience store than a true source of goods.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
What a great way to meet new friends along the way !!!!!!!!!!1

I found cooking was the only way to get a lot of veg. Many Spanish dishes are meat often with fries.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks guys ill take in all your points. I amagine ill be able to buy a good knife for the journey in St Jean?? as I cant take one in my hand luggage.
I wish you could start earlier. Or me later. I am starting April 25th in Pamplona. I am not a cook nor am I'm a masseuse. If anybody on my route close to my dates is please let me know. I hugely appreciate both if they are willing to share their trades.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back