• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

To cpap or not to cpap?

Tp3660

TraceP
Time of past OR future Camino
May 2017
Hi all. I have been totally trying to ignore this. I have been planning my walk for two years. Have booked for May 18 to walk from Leon. It is my first Camino. I am a 50 year old Woman and began this idea thinking I would take a tour as I'm not the best physical specimen. The more I researched and found this forum my views slowly changed going from doing it alone last 100 with a self guided tour and bag transfer to no tour and now I have finally settled on from Leon and would love to try to walk with my backpack carrying my worldly possessions. I'm after the spiritual experience.
Late last year I was diagnosed with sleep Apnea and have been using a cpap machine at night. This allows me to keep pressure on my windpipe and not to stop breathing at night. Something I used to do over 80 times a night. Without the machine I was tired all day had a crappy nights sleep and snored like a trouper. This machine has changed my life. But it is about the size of a loaf of bread. Made of plastic but cumbersome. You see the problem.

I CAN go without. But be less than my physical best or take it and maybe have it sent on ahead. It is worth about $1700 and would be unhappy to lose it and not sure that it would stand the 'manhandling' well and have been putting off thinking about it as it is in the 'too hard basket'.
Any advice???

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
There are several threads on this topic, and a variety of experiences. I bought a travel CPAP (made by Transcend) last year, and used it every night. On my previous pilgrimages, I didn't carry it, and snored badly, at least until I lost some weight.

Both the Transcend and my regular CPAP get carried around the place without any obvious harm. The Transcend is noisier and doesn't have all the nice features, but I was able to live with that.

There are several threads on this topic, and a variety of experiences. I bought a travel CPAP (made by Transcend) last year, and used it every night. On my previous pilgrimages, I didn't carry it, and snored badly, at least until I lost some weight.

Both the Transcend and my regular CPAP get carried around the place without any obvious harm. The Transcend is noisier and doesn't have all the nice features, but I was able to live with that.
WOW thanks Doug. Should have known it would have been a hot topic. Lots of great info right there. Love Love Love this forum!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
For what it is worth, I do not use a Cpap but slept in small rooms and on bunks with people who did. I was never once bothered by the machine even though they all apologized to me for having to use it. I say if you need it or would do better when using it then go ahead and bring it. Of course you will have to decide if it is worth the weight, bulk, etc.

Mike

For what it is worth, I do not use a Cpap but slept in small rooms and on bunks with people who did. I was never once bothered by the machine even though they all apologized to me for having to use it. I say if you need it or would do better when using it then go ahead and bring it. Of course you will have to decide if it is worth the weight, bulk, etc.

Mike
Thx Mike. Nice to know.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My husband used a Peregrino taxi to take one bag from stage to stage. We thought there was greater risk of damage to the CPAP carrying it in the backpack, so we put it in a suitcase and had it transferred via the taxi. We also chose to stay in hotels and not in albergues so that we were sure to have an outlet near the bed (albergues cannot guarantee that). We had no problems with this setup.

I have slept in a lower bunk where the person above used a sleep apnea machine (which one I don't know) and I slept very well. Certainly better for other dormitory occupants for you to use a machine than snore. I know that it is a concern whether you can find a power point, but a friend of mine who has walked the Camino twice and has sleep apnea has had no problems. You can also speak to another pilgrim about the necessity of being close to a power point and swap beds

Take your CPAP machine, you will sleep peacefully and so will those around you.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi, I have been using a CPAP machine every night for about 5 years. I have also completed two Caminos, the Portuguese and the Via de la Plata whilst using my CPAP machine. Like you, I had considered not taking it but I snore like a chainsaw without my machine so in the end thought that it would be better for me and the other Peregrinos if I took it.

We stay in Albergues and there's never been any issues with access to power points as I take an extension lead and sleep on the bottom bunk. My machine is very quite so with it I am quiet sleeper and am guaranteed not to snore! Whilst I thought I might have some looks or comments from other Peregrinos it has never been a talking point and as with most things on the Camino's people have been very nice.

All up I carry an extra 4 kgs weight but I consider it as an essential item and just part of my kit for my journey. I pack it in a water proof bag and then it goes on top of my rubber thongs (for a bit of protection) at the bottom of my pack.

My wife and I are planning to walk Chemin Le Puy and Camino del Norte this year so by the time we get to Santiago de Compestela the CPAP machine will have travelled over 3,000 kms with me.

Go for it and enjoy your Camino :)

I pack it in a water proof bag and then it goes on top of my rubber thongs (for a bit of protection) at the bottom of my pack.
This scared me for a moment - thongs mean something quite different here.

Most pilgrims would rather beat themselves with a brick than sleep next to a loud snorer. Just explain what the machine is for and people will be falling over themselves to offer the bed by the electric outlet. In places where the mattresses are of the light foam variety, you can also drag the mattress off the bed to where you need it.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Caveat Emptor folks. Double-check electricity needs.

Ideally, and given the price points, these portable units will have a universal power supply that is usable on any source that ranges from 110-240 VAC and at 50-60 Hz. In that case, all you would need would be an inexpensive plug tip adapter to fit the two, round pin Schuko style outlets used across Europe.

However, if you are in North America, and the portable unit comes, out of the box with only a 110 VAC, 60 Hz power supply, then you will have to carry along a power converter that will enable you to use the 220 VAC 50 Hz, European power.

In my extensive foreign travel and living in Europe, I sourced 220 VAC electrical stuff in the US from this place. The are reliable.

http://www.world-import.com/search.php?mode=search&page=1

I hope this helps.

If the power supply will accept 100 - 240 VAC and both 50 or 60 Hz from the wall outlet, then only a plug adapter is needed. These are inexpensive and can be found in most travel or electronic shops, certainly at airports.

YES, the UK and Ireland use a funky looking, three rectangular prong setup that is not used almost anywhere else in the world.

The rest of Europe uses the Schucko or Continental C format plug. It has a two, round pin plug for non-grounded use. For grounded outlet use, there is a slightly larger variant that has a "female" socket on the plug end - adjacent to the two pins. This is for the male ground prong in the wall outlet to connect with when you plug it in.

However, in my experience, you can usually plug a two-pin non grounded Euro plug into a three pin grounded outlet. But, the reverse is NOT true. Fortunately most all outlets I have even seen in Europe are of the two pin type.

I hope this helps.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.