• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

To Finisterre

Animol

Time of past OR future Camino
SdC to Finisterre april-17
Sarria to SdC may-19
Hi!

I am planning to walk from Santiago de Compostela to Finisterre with my daughter in Semana Santa this year. We are landing in Santiago early in the afternoon on monday. I have read about the way to Finisterre and that you can make it in three or four days. Now, I would like to hear your opinions and good advice. Is it better to stay the first night in Santiago or could it be a good idea to start walking and walk just a short distance the first day? Then the walks the following days wouldn't be so long. Are there any nice albergues or accomodation that you could rekommend? We would then not walk the " normal" stages. We will return to Santiago by bus on Friday or Saturday. Think that will be enough time to spend in Santiago.We are flying back home on Sunday. Very grateful for any comments on my thoughts

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Welcome Animol, I would suggest spending the afternoon/night in Santiago. Relax, see the Cathedral, have a nice meal then start your walk early the next morning. You should be able to do this comfortably in four days.
Whatever you decide have a great Camino.
Buen Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi!

I am planning to walk from Santiago de Compostela to Finisterre with my daughter in Semana Santa this year. We are landing in Santiago early in the afternoon on monday. I have read about the way to Finisterre and that you can make it in three or four days. Now, I would like to hear your opinions and good advice. Is it better to stay the first night in Santiago or could it be a good idea to start walking and walk just a short distance the first day? Then the walks the following days wouldn't be so long. Are there any nice albergues or accomodation that you could rekommend? We would then not walk the " normal" stages. We will return to Santiago by bus on Friday or Saturday. Think that will be enough time to spend in Santiago.We are flying back home on Sunday. Very grateful for any comments on my thoughts

Welcome to the forum! I agree with Wayfarer and Rainer. I usually walk to Finisterre in four days. Santiago to Negreira, Olveiroa then Cee. From Ceewill give you a short day into Finisterre.

In Finisterre I recomend Albergue Cabo de Vila, family run, single beds, no curfew and my home from home.

Buen Camino
Davey

Edit: Sorry, not single beds, they are bunks but plenty of space and privacy the way it is set out. Also private rooms.

Thank you wayfarer!
Hmm, yes maybe we will be quite tired after getting up early and flying to Spain. We are planning to really enjoy everything the Camino has to offer. As you probably can "hear" I'm very excited and just can't wait to get there.

There is an online guide to Fisterra and Muxia from Santiago available here:
http://www.caminodesantiago.gal/documents/17639/155453/Fisterra Muxía - Plano - EN.pdf?version=1.0

There is a version 1.0 but I do not see either a version 1.1 nor a version 2.0.

The guide gives the following three day walks:
Santiago-Negreira-Olveiroa-Muxia
Santiago-Negreira-Olveiroa-Fisterra

But you can add a one or two day walk between Fisterra and Muxia in either direction. The town of Liraes in between has accommodation.

I think more albergues have been added in recent years thus allowing you to go at a slower pace.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Depending on how far you want to walk every day I recommend
Santiago to Negreira
Negreira to Santa Marina
Santa Marina to Hospital
Hospital to Corcubion
Corcubion to Finisterra

Some are younger, fitter and will walk faster but this suited us.

Last edited:
Hi!

I think the tourist office in Santiago has a packet they give out (free) that has all the maps and accommodation information for the walk to Finisterre/Muxia.
Has anyone on here gotten that packet and is it helpful?

In Santiago the Galicia Tourist Office, Rúa do Vilar, 30-32 has a useful free multi-language listing of all the current facilities in every village found along the camino to Finisterre and Muxia. This also provides telephone numbers and bus schedules. Their staff is friendly and most helpful. Buen Camino!

I think the tourist office in Santiago has a packet they give out (free) that has all the maps and accommodation information for the walk to Finisterre/Muxia.
Has anyone on here gotten that packet and is it helpful?
I did pick up that packet, but I mostly just used the website that I linked to above.
In Negreira there is an information booth that is very helpful too.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
As mentioned, we got lots of useful information and our new credentials from the GALICIA TOURIST office in Santiago

Depending on how far you want to walk every day I recommend
Santiago to Negreira
Negreira to Santa Marina
Santa Marina to Hospital
Hospital to Corcubion
Circulation to Finisterra

Some are younger, fitter and will walk faster but this suited us.
Merci Fleur, I will be walking to Finisterre in May with my adult daughter, having done the CF and the CP years ago. I am 78 and rather like your relaxed schedule. Our itinerary is similar to yours, and we too will take 5 days. Thanks.

There is an online guide to Fisterra and Muxia from Santiago available here:
http://www.caminodesantiago.gal/documents/17639/155453/Fisterra Muxía - Plano - EN.pdf?version=1.0

There is a version 1.0 but I do not see either a version 1.1 nor a version 2.0.

The guide gives the following three day walks:
Santiago-Negreira-Olveiroa-Muxia
Santiago-Negreira-Olveiroa-Fisterra

But you can add a one or two day walk between Fisterra and Muxia in either direction. The town of Liraes in between has accommodation.

I think more albergues have been added in recent years thus allowing you to go at a slower pace.

The link is very good and the information from the tourist office is very similar. Having walked on to Fisterra last October we found there were enough albergues on the walk, some were quite new. I would recommend Corcubion rather than Cee as a place to night stop.

Hi!

Hi,

I've walked this route at the beginning of March after starting my Camino from Irun. I would stay the night in Santiago and then start the following day. If you're not in a rush I'd say it can be done comfortably in 3 days but it depends on the distances you want to do in a day. My own stops had been Vilaserio and Cee which left about 15km to Finisterre. I had been limited to where I could stay as most of the albergues had been closed in March. The normal or recommend stops, as listed earlier are Negreira, Olveiroa, Cee and then Finisterre. I stopped in Olveiroa for a coffee next to the albergue and it looked very nice. In Cee just as you enter the outskirts of the town I was told of a nice albergue there. I didn't get the name but they are well sign posted. As it wasn't in the center of the city I didn't look for it either and stayed in one near the town square. Don't forget to collect your Finisterran (certificate) from the Municipal albergue in Finisterre. Just follow the route and where you see a bus stop you'll see the albergue. It doesn't open until 14:00hrs so if you arrive before you'll have to wait. If you don't want to wait (I got there at 10:30hrs) the town hall will take your details and post it to you. I don't know if they charge for this. If the weather's nice the albergue is right on the beach so why not stay and enjoy! The bus back to Santiago is right next to the albergue and will cost 13 euros one way and takes nearly 3hrs with a change of bus in the middle.

Hope this helps. Y Buen Camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Seeing the sea for the first time walking towards Finisterre is exceptional as crossing the hills near Cee you at last glimpse it! Near-by is the simple, welcoming albergue open all year at San Roque. From their dorm window when you see the lighthouse beacon at Finisterre shining at night, it is magic!

Since home is in Champagne facing a vineyard, at the end of each camino when at last I reached that lighthouse I silently gave thanks and treated myself to a flute of true French champagne, toasting all who helped make my journey possible. Watching the sea I slowly sipped savoring the moment; when that glass was empty it was time to turn towards home.

Last edited:
You can get a certificate for walking to Muxia also but I forget where you can get it. Ask around.

The certificates are only issue on the day by the Municipal albergue or you can obtain one from the local authority (since found out it's issued by the tourist office). The albergue will examine your passport (credential) and ask you some questions before they issue a certificate. The recommendation is to get 2 stamps a day but all the people I asked said they hadn't heard of anyone being refused a certificate with only 1 stamp a day. I made sure and had 2 stamps a day. It's a very nice certificate and worth having.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks SoyGalego! Was it cold in March?
We have had snow again today and we still have icy roads☃️

Thanks SoyGalego! Was it cold in March?
We have had snow again today and we still have icy roads☃️

No it was wet to start with but my last day (9th Mar) was a lovely day. Overall my whole journey was wet but not really cold, but I prefer the cold anyway!

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

My husband and I would like to spend a night in Muxia after walking to Santiago but don’t have time to walk there. Rome to Rio says there’s busses twice daily, but if you go to the Monbus website...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back