• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

To go or not to go

tillyjones

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances June 2015
VDLP May 2017
del Norte Sept 2018
Hello. I have found my way back to this page as I start to think about another Camino. I hope to walk the Norte in September of this year.

I thought I would post in the event anyone has wisdom or for those who have been or are in the same place....the decision of whether to go or not. I am not asking advice as I know only I make the decision but thought it may generate some good insight!

The Camino is my happy place. Mostly because I am removed from the stressors of every day life and partly because I'm largely alone in beautiful surroundings, testing my physical limits. I have a work contract coming to an end at the beginning of September so of course am thinking of going on Camino but I keep second guessing. I have the time because I'll be unemployed, but because I'm unemployed I'm hard pressed to justify the expense or taking time away from a job search. The amount I will spend would have covered my living expenses for an additional two months. I imagine I will go. I play the 'you only live once' game. And I know that something wonderful could come of going just as something wonderful can come of not going. One can never really know what the right choice is. But I have a nagging fear...what if it causes me to end up homeless? Will it have been worth it?

Surely there are others that fight the call of the Camino against the demands of life.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
This happened to me last year, and I walked knowing I had to job hunt when I got home, not knowing how long it would take. Thankfully it didn't worry me while I was walking.
Once upon a time, I would have taken the safe route, and stayed home job hunting. Now after walking a Camino, with no rational reason, I'm comfortable to take the unsafe road, and head to Spain.

Well, after thinking about a couple of years, I am going to cycle from Bilbao from 2nd September. You are welcome to join me. If you can walk the distance, you can cycle it.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello @tillyjones and thank you for writing this post. I'm glad to find I'm not alone, and I empathize with your situation. I promised myself that I would go on camino every 3 years. I work hard, I need it, and like you it's my happy place.
Financially it makes no sense for me to go this year...I'm going anyway. It took me a long time to make the decision and I waited months to buy my flights. I still am not sure it's the right choice and sometimes I can get a bit anxious...all the more reason to go on a really, really long walk!
My worry is not being homeless, it's more about my dwindling bank account, my nest egg, or the "what if something goes wrong" fund. I keep telling myself that worry is a waste of time. What if all goes well (as it surely will) and I wasted even a moment in worry instead of enjoying each and every day. That would be silly.
So my wisdom (even though I have a hard time following it myself), try not to worry, typically, things do work out.

Hello. I have found my way back to this page as I start to think about another Camino. I hope to walk the Norte in September of this year.

I thought I would post in the event anyone has wisdom or for those who have been or are in the same place....the decision of whether to go or not. I am not asking advice as I know only I make the decision but thought it may generate some good insight!

The Camino is my happy place. Mostly because I am removed from the stressors of every day life and partly because I'm largely alone in beautiful surroundings, testing my physical limits. I have a work contract coming to an end at the beginning of September so of course am thinking of going on Camino but I keep second guessing. I have the time because I'll be unemployed, but because I'm unemployed I'm hard pressed to justify the expense or taking time away from a job search. The amount I will spend would have covered my living expenses for an additional two months. I imagine I will go. I play the 'you only live once' game. And I know that something wonderful could come of going just as something wonderful can come of not going. One can never really know what the right choice is. But I have a nagging fear...what if it causes me to end up homeless? Will it have been worth it?

Surely there are others that fight the call of the Camino against the demands of life.

Each of us are on a path. Some paths cross, some parallel, some we will never meet.

Of all that has been mentioned, one stands out, the statement, "The Camino is my happy place" This is a rare place to find in this world of chaos.

However, do not place yourself in a position where you may become financially destitute. Very few can do this and have no concern regarding money. Some are on pensions. Some have businesses that continue to generate whether they are at home or not. Perhaps this is the kind of wisdom that is needed to ensure a Camino can be walked when the Soul requires it?

taking time away from a job search

Perhaps you could use this Camino time to reflectively do your job search?

With internet access readily available you could set 'active' time aside regularly and ponder any internal and external developments as you walk. I reckon this would result in a much deeper and meaningful transition into your next career move :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I don't think when you are at the end of your life you will ever regret trips you have taken, only those that you never did go on.
Go on your Camino and don't second guess it for a second.

Perhaps a compromise of a shorter duration? A new path?

I second contemplating your next career move while on Camino.

I will also be on Camino in Sept...it may be the Frances or del Norte. Love to have a meal together.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Good morning Tilly! We will look forward to seeing you! We have planned a volunteer stint at Diverbo in Spain...August 24th until the 30 and THEN will ( our last thought) start the Camino Norte! Probably right at the beginning of September! We are from the Vancouver area in Canada...hope to see you!

@tillyjones , I have often heard the saying: "to worry is to set negative goals". So don't worry, and follow your heart!
If you walk the Norte in September, you might overtake us slow walkers. We're starting on 2 September in Hendaye/Irun and finishing in Santiago on 30 October.
Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi pilgrims , last year i had some spare days and i walked from Irun to Santander , so my plan for this year was to start in Bilbao and walk to Santiago in 24 days . It turned out that i can...
Hi, ive been training for my CDN in two weeks time and thought i'd get some UK coastline under my belt (Scarborough to Robin hoods Bay). I have to say i was just not prepared for the amount for...
hello We plan to walk from Irún to San Sebastián first day in Mid May and looking for feedback on how long it takes. Think we are up to it but will be our first day. Thanks for your thoughts and...
Please, am I mad to contemplate the following combo: Norte: Biarritz-Bayonne-Irun-Santander (via Bayonne to get my legs going) Santander - train to Leon San Salvador - Leon to Oviedo Primitivo -...
I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
What is the most beautiful seven day section on the Camino del Norte? I have a good friend who cannot come with me for the entire walk. She is only available for a week. I start from Irun. She...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back