• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

To keep in touch through writing a daily blog while walking

sugargypsy

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2019
Planning: CP / CF or CdN 2022
Hi,

I've read quite often, that while walking the Camino some pilgrims are blogging while being on their way.

I'd be interested to learn / find out for one point, what sort of equipment you've travelled with, what about wifi along the way? In the auberges, bars or does one need to stay at a private accommodation?

Did you actually post your impressions the day you've made them?

Did it interrupt sometimes your flow while walking your way, did you - when talking to others - leave earlier, because you thought you have to write now before falling asleep ...

Reason why I'm asking is, that I do think about starting a blog to share with familiy and friends, but especially for my mother, that she can take part of / share my pilgrimage - also as a way to reassure her, that I'm o.k.

She'll never ask me to call or write on a regular basis - once or twice a week I'll do that anyhow -, because she knows herself how this can stop one to go with the flow, but I know, that she herself is getting more anxious the older she gets (81). That's why I'm seeking a way which will satisfy both our needs.

So I thought about a blog. Any opinions, experiences etc. I can think about are welcome ;-).

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Some people blog or post daily, mostly in the evening and usually it's the kms, location, weather, number of pilgrims, changes to the route... Which can be useful if you are looking at going on that route any time soon. I tend not to read other blogs that are more intraspective as I find it a bit like spying on someone's personal thoughts, even if they have posted them in a public way.

Personally I keep a diary and write up my blog, if I get around to it, after I get back as it helps keep a record of a memorable trip. This proved useful after a string of burglaries left me with no other record. I've also heard from others who found the blog useful for their Camino planning. Our kids who are digital adults have also found them useful, I think hugely entertaining was once mentioned... Must have been the time I landed flat on my face.

As to keeping your mother in touch, check with her how interested in social media she is first. My old dad uses his iPad mainly to play solitaire, so I email him. But best of all I send him post cards. He has an atlas full of postcards we have sent him and he loves the tangeable nature of them.

Yes, lots of people do write blogs but there is no general answer to your questions. It is very much individual.

For equipment, unless you are really serious, just use a smartphone. Get used to posting from your phone with whatever app you choose. (I use Wordpress.) Get used to preparing your post offline so you can upload later if necessary.

If you set a plan or expectation of blogging every day, sometimes it will be a chore. Start simple and do not expect every post to be brilliant and comprehensive. Perhaps one or 2 photos with a paragraph anecdote. If you set standards too high, you will soon fall behind and give up. I try to post something everyday. You will soon learn that it is difficult to remember where you stayed last night, and the days all blend together.

As I said, it is very individual and even every camino is different. Sometimes it feels a bit like a chore, but overall I find blogging to be a really creative exercise and I am very happy to have it as a diary.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
As to keeping your mother in touch, check with her how interested in social media she is first. My old dad uses his iPad mainly to play solitaire, so I email him. But best of all I send him post cards. He has an atlas full of postcards we have sent him and he loves the tangeable nature of them.
Sometimes the solution stares right into one's face, but doesn't come to ones mind ... Being a postcrosser for years, I should have come up with that solution myself :cool:.

But leads right up to the next question: How much of a budget should I plan for buying postcards ;) or how much does one postcard weigh? I'm somehow a collector, that could actually add up ... That is, do I need to buy a stack in advance when staying in towns or bigger communities or does one get them also in small places?

My mom, by the way, uses her tablet or notebook for games like your dad does, but she is well into selling and bidding through ebay, buying via amazon, booking short trips etc., so it will be no problem for her following me. To be honest she's using whatsapp & Co - I don't - and she's got a smartphone years before I got one myself ....

Last edited:
Yes, lots of people do write blogs but there is no general answer to your questions. It is very much individual.

For equipment, unless you are really serious, just use a smartphone. Get used to posting from your phone with whatever app you choose. (I use Wordpress.) Get used to preparing your post offline so you can upload later if necessary.
Like I've written it in my answer above, I've not been using my smartphone quite often. I'm well versed in using a PC or Laptop, being a writer, but I'm not really into the use of smartphones. I've still 5 weeks to practice though :rolleyes:.

If you set a plan or expectation of blogging every day, sometimes it will be a chore. Start simple and do not expect every post to be brilliant and comprehensive. Perhaps one or 2 photos with a paragraph anecdote. If you set standards too high, you will soon fall behind and give up. I try to post something everyday. You will soon learn that it is difficult to remember where you stayed last night, and the days all blend together.
You've summarized my concerns quite well ;). I do set my standards / expectations very quickly quite high, that being one of the pitfalls of a pro. Guess I've got to dwell on that a bit.

Postcards are becoming less common, but they are still around, so don't stock up. We usually buy them when we see them and carry spare stamps as these can be hard to get hold of, buy stamps from Tabaco stores they sell a set of 10 for use anywhere in Europe and USA... But harder to find the right ones for NZ. Usually costs a couple of euro the card and stamp, we write ours at the cafe and post them straight away, not the end of the world if you carry a few till you find a post box as they are light.

Sometimes the cards arrive after we have got back home, they still give a thrill. I once visited my daughter in London and she had a wall covered in a map pinned with postcards, mostly from exotic locations but some from Invercargil, Whanganui, Foxton etc, turns out Scott had been sending her postcards from NZ towns he visited while working... He was feeling "beached" as we hadn't been on the overseas for a while and whated to show that while she may be off travelling the world he was still out on the road, she treasures these cards now.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Sometimes the solution stares right into one's face, but doesn't come to ones mind ... Being a postcrosser for years, I should have come up with that solution myself :cool:.

But leads right up to the next question: How much of a budget should I plan for buying postcards ;) or how much does one postcard weigh? I'm somehow a collector, that could actually add up ... That is, do I need to buy a stack in advance when staying in towns or bigger communities or does one get them also in small places?

My mom, by the way, uses her tablet or notebook for games like your dad does, but she is well into selling and bidding through ebay, buying via amazon, booking short trips etc., so it will be no problem for her following me. To be honest she's using whatsapp & Co - I don't - and she's got a smartphone years before I got one myself ....

Surely, the best thing would be to buy a postcard from the place where you actually are, if that is possible?
Or else, you might upload a picture you took and make your own postcard online, and have it mailed from home to home. Without a doubt, an email is cheaper, but a real card is more fun.

I'm ever so glad, I've opened this thread. It is really strange how some such obvious possiblities didn't come up my mind :eek:. I've already send some fotos as postcards online years ago, but didn't think yet of using that possibility so far. And they'll be in the mailbox a lot faster, than coming from Spain. That will going to be a great mixture mingling calls, eMails, postcards, my own foto-postcards and any further ideas which might come up here!

Hi,

I've read quite often, that while walking the Camino some pilgrims are blogging while being on their way.

I'd be interested to learn / find out for one point, what sort of equipment you've travelled with, what about wifi along the way? In the auberges, bars or does one need to stay at a private accommodation?

Did you actually post your impressions the day you've made them?

Did it interrupt sometimes your flow while walking your way, did you - when talking to others - leave earlier, because you thought you have to write now before falling asleep ...

Reason why I'm asking is, that I do think about starting a blog to share with familiy and friends, but especially for my mother, that she can take part of / share my pilgrimage - also as a way to reassure her, that I'm o.k.

She'll never ask me to call or write on a regular basis - once or twice a week I'll do that anyhow -, because she knows herself how this can stop one to go with the flow, but I know, that she herself is getting more anxious the older she gets (81). That's why I'm seeking a way which will satisfy both our needs.

So I thought about a blog. Any opinions, experiences etc. I can think about are welcome ;-).

I wrote a daily blog post on WordPress, using only my smart phone. I spent about a half hour each night, after dinner. my friends and family loved it. I selected three or 4 photos from the day that helped me tell my story and posted them with a few paragraphs of text that described each day.

I am very glad I did it, as I have a permanent record of my trip that will not fade over time, as my memory does. I will say that I often experienced problems uploading (especially photos) using only wifi, so a few days into my walk on the Camino Frances, I switched to an Orange sim card, which worked beautifully.

If you'd like to see my blog for inspiration, go to trishdeford.com and click on the blog.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I usually these days create a private Facebook group for my blog for a particular route. I start with an overview map, basic info about route and then do a daily post with from/to, distance, elevation, cumulative, summary of day and some pics. It is really easy and quick to do. I use the opportunity of free wifi, when I can, which works most days and post it then. For friends/family not on Facebook I email a link to a Google plus photo album at the end.

I just ran across what I think you are seeking. JJ Shields recently produced a "Blogging Survival Guide" that covers his recommendations. I am attaching the PDF. Additionally, on his website on WordPress.com, he provides some technical equipment info I think you will find useful. Go to https://jjscamino.wordpress.com/2018/04/28/tech-stuff/.

Attachments

• Blogging Guide-JJ Shields.pdf
    291.3 KB · Views: 8

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.