• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

To obtain a Compostela

ChrisMO

Time of past OR future Camino
French (2013)
Question to those that already did the Camino...to get the Compostela, do you have to walk 100 km straight, or can be broken down in different parts with a total walk of around 130-150 km?

Thanks,

Christiane

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
ChrisMO said:
Question to those that already did the Camino...to get the Compostela, do you have to walk 100 km straight, or can be broken down in different parts with a total walk of around 130-150 km? :|
This issue has been answered on other occasions. :?
To receive a Compostela the individual is required to walk not less than the last 100 km before Santiago de Compostela (or 200 km by bicycle) and give proof of this by 2 stamps a day (may be albergues, churches or other locations) on one's "credencial" (pilgrims' passport). :wink:

On the Camino Frances, the 100 kms begins in Sarria and ends in Santiago at the Cathedral.
Anything before reaching Sarria is inconsequential. The 100 kms must be continuous, consecutive and end at the Cathedral.

But Buses and Taxis turn what begins as a pilgrimage into a holiday. You change from being a pilgrim into a tourist. Why not pledge to yourself that you will walk continuously and not give in to the temptations of motorized transportation.

Buen Camino,
David, Victoria, Canada.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you for clarifying that to me. I know I had read before, but my Spaniard friend that we are going to meet there for the Camino said no need to be continuous. Then I decided to ask you guys that did that. My teenagers really want the Compostelas, and I want to make sure we have enough time to walk the 100 km and not be surprised in the end. Thank you thank you thank you.

Hola

For the sake of absolute clarity on this issue: to obtain the Compostela pilgrims need to walk the last 100 kms to the Cathedral of Santiago and collect 2 stamps per day on their journey.

However it does not have to be completed all in the same time period. Many pilgrims (particularly Spanish of course) complete their pilgrimage in two halves or over weekends. In this case the Pilgrims' Office asks for a dated stamp at the stopping point and a dated stamp when thne pilgrim starts again. Therefore if you stop in Melide you should get a stamp with the date you stopped. Then when you go back to Melide to walk on to Santiago the next stamp in your credencial should be from Melide on the day you re-started.

John

My advice would be to take a few extra days and walk from Astorga or O Cebreiro. A better experience in my opinion.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
JohnnieWalker said:
Hola

For the sake of absolute clarity on this issue: to obtain the Compostela pilgrims need to walk the last 100 kms to the Cathedral of Santiago and collect 2 stamps per day on their journey.

However it does not have to be completed all in the same time period. Many pilgrims (particularly Spanish of course) complete their pilgrimage in two halves or over weekends. In this case the Pilgrims' Office asks for a dated stamp at the stopping point and a dated stamp when thne pilgrim starts again. Therefore if you stop in Melide you should get a stamp with the date you stopped. Then when you go back to Melide to walk on to Santiago the next stamp in your credencial should be from Melide on the day you re-started.

John

Very good to know that the stretch between Sarria and Santiago doesn't have to be all at the same time, John. Once again, your information is very helpful :)

Yes John, good tip. Do you know how many days usually takes from Sarria? Please remember, I have teenagers, that might go in a Competition towards the end.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi,
I'm new on the Camino, cycling it alone. Didn't realise that you need two stamps per day for the Compostela; I have been getting one per day at each accommodation...as this is what i was told..Feeling very disappointed! Are people sure I will be refused the Compostela?

drawntothecamino said:
Hi,
I'm new on the Camino, cycling it alone. Didn't realise that you need two stamps per day for the Compostela; I have been getting one per day at each accommodation...as this is what i was told..Feeling very disappointed! Are people sure I will be refused the Compostela?

Inside the cover of my credencial it states:

the pilgrim's office requires anyone starting the camino after Ponferrada to obtain two stamps per day. Those pilgrims who start from other points farther east need only one stamp per day.

My credencial was issued by the Canadian Company of Pilgrims. I do not know if credencials issued by other authorities will contain a similar statement.

You may want to contact the pilgrim office to confirm requirements.
http://peregrinossantiago.es/eng/

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back