• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

to paint pictures on camino

camino-painter

Hi !

I have had several wilderness travels at forests and hills on northern Europe and I have paintings from there, but case of heavy oil painting materials I`ve done those at my studio after travel from photos.
Last autumn I thought I could take painting and drawing materials on a cart and draw them with camino packings from SJPP to Santiago and paint / draw during the camino. I wonder if there is difficulties on trip with the cart? It is about 50 kg and width 70 cm, length 200 cm. It has brakes, bow and shock absorber. And I ask if there is free accommondations at refugies on later afternoon because I spend hottest part of a day under a parasol and I paint there about 3 - 5 hrs a day. And at all is it quite a fool idea to have a camino and painting trip at the same time? I would like to see and paint/draw fellow pilgrims, landscapes and feel peaceful moments on camino and have good times with fellow pilgrims. My camino will (I hope) keep on about two months from mid july to mid september and my daily trip could be 5 - 25 kms.

I have had great time on this pilgrim forum reading and planning my first camino. My english is not good but I don`t care.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I'm sure could do the camino pulling a cart but perhaps a smaller one would be better.
You will need to be really strong to pull 50kg up steep, rocky, narrow paths - some that are not even 70cm wide -and the 2m in length could present difficulties going around sharp corners.
July and August are the busiest months on the camino and most of the albergues fill up very quickly. You will not be allowed to stay in an albergue if you have only travelled 5km - some won't even accept you if you have done less than 20km. On the days you walk short distances you will have to find alternative accommodation. On your longer days, it might be best to secure a bed and then find a place to paint for the rest of the day.
There is a lovely book of water colours done by Mark Hoare A Painting Pilgrim: a journey to Santiago de Compostela http://www.mudwall.co.uk/book.htm
You will also find watercolour and oil paintings of the camino by Eric Doud and Wanda Sawiki who has has walked the Camino de Santiago de Compostela four times since 1996. :
http://www.sacredstepsinspain.com/?id=3&lang=en
Abrazos,

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Thanks, Sillydoll!
Day by day I get more information about Camino I´ve planned.
I have not seen prices of alternative accommodations.
Is there possibilities or is it safe to sleep in a tent?
On rocky and steep paths or fords I can carry the cart on my back for short distances. The cart is heavy because of paints and mediums and painting canvases (50 - 80 pieces). I try out at home areas if it is too heavy. If it is too heavy, I have to plan new way to paint on my camino.
Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I was going to send you a private message about camping but thought other pilgrims walking in August might be interested as it is an option to crowded albergues. I made a list of campsites a couple of years ago when a pilgrim wanted to walk with her dog but I haven't updated it so you will have to check the websites - where there are any - and check the opening dates and prices.
There is very little 'wild' camping on the camino Frances but there are about 70 rivers where you could camp so that you have access to water. You will also be allowed to camp next to a number of albergues or in their grounds and use their facilities. There are not that many campsites but fortunately most of the official sites are open from July to about September. Hope this helps.

Camping sites in Spain are listed as Luxury, 1st, 2nd, 3rd and special category camps. All prices below are quoted in Euro, are High Season prices and excl 5% Vat: (Some give pilgrim discounts. Please check opening times before you go as times can change without notice.)
For more info: http://www.camping-spain.net/

France
ST JEAN PIED DE PORT:
Camping de L’Arradoy: Tel: 05 59 37 11 75 1/3 to 1/10: 25 Persons 2** Basic campsite. Pets allowed.
Camping Municipal: Tel: 05 59 37 11 19) 53 persons - 1* Municipal campsite 200m from the town gate. Pets allowed.

Spain - Navarra
AURIZBERRI-ESPINAL 2nd: 1/4 to 31/10
Urrobi Tel/fax: 948 760 200 http://www.campingurrobi.com/
400 Persons: Adults - 3.96€ Child – 3.19€ Single tent - 3.96€ Group tent – 4.13€
Pets allowed: Restaurant: Cafeteria: Mini-market: Hot water showers: Post & Telephone: Credit cards accepted

PAMPLONA: All Year
Ezcaba – 8.5km from Pamplona: Tel: 948330315
http://www.campingezcaba.com
Adults – 3.60€ Child – 3.30€ Single tent – 3.60€ Group tent – 4.40€ - Swimming pool, restaurant. Mini-market. Hot showers: Telephone:

Huesca
PUENTE LA REINA – GARES 1st : All Year
Errota-El Molino: Tel: 948 340 604
www.campingelmolino.com info@campingelmolino.com
7km south at Mendigorria: Tent – 4.20€ 1 500 persons: Adults – 4.15€ Children – 3.30€ : Hot showers: Internet: Restaurant: Mini-market:

ESTELLA-LIZARRA 1st: All year
Lizarra: Tel: 948 551 733 Fax: 948 554 755
www.navarra.net.lizarra lizarrakampinga@navarra.net
1 000 persons: Adults – 3.80€ Children – 3.40€ Single tent - 3.80€ Family tent – 4.50€ Pets allowed: Restaurant: Cafeteria: Mini-market: Hot water showers: Post & Telephone: Credit cards accepted.

La Rioja
LOGROÑO: 2nd: 9/4 to 30/9
La Playa: Tel/Fax: 941 252 253
www.campinglaplaya.com campinglogrono@terra.es
248 persons: Adults – 4.50€ Children – 4.00€ Single tent – 4.00€ Family tent – 5.00€ Pets allowed: Cafeteria: Hot water showers: Post & Telephone: Credit cards accepted

NAVARRETE: 1st : 8/1 to 9/12
Navarette: Tel: 941 440 169 Fax: 941 440 639
www.fer.es/campings campingnavarrete@fer.es
580 persons: Adults – 4.20€ Children – 3.85€ Single tent - 3.85€ Family tent – 4.20€
No pets allowed: Restaurant: Cafeteria: Mini-market: Hot water showers: Post & Telephone: Credit cards accepted

NAJERA: 3rd : 1/4 to 10/9
El Ruedo: Tel: 941 360 102
154 persons: Adults – 3.75€ Children – 3.50€ Single tent – 3.60€ Family tent – 3.75€ Pets allowed: Restaurant: Cafeteria: Mini-market: Hot water showers: Post & Telephone: Credit cards accepted

SANTO DOMINGO DE LA CALZADA: Open all year
Camping Bánares: Tel: 941 342 804 5km before Santo Domingo: Full facilities

Burgos
BURGOS: 1st: 1/4 to 30/9
Fuentes Blanca: Tel/Fax: 947 486 016
1 100 persons: Adults – 3.70€ Children – 2.60€ Single tent – 3.20€ Family tent – 3.80€ Pets allowed: Restaurant: Cafeteria: Mini-market: Hot water showers: Post & Telephone: Credit cards accepted

CASTROJERÍZ: 2nd : 1/5 - 31/5 y 1/9 – 30/9 (1/6 – 30/8)
Camino de Santiago: Tel: 947 377 255 Fax: 983 359 549
campingcastro@eresmas.com
150 persons: Adults – 3.50€ Children – 2.50€ Single tent – 3.00€ Family tent – 4.00€ No pets allowed: Cafeteria: Hot water showers: Post & Telephone: Credit cards accepted

Palencia
CARRIÓN DE LOS CONDES: 2nd: All year
Edén: Tel:979 881 152
289 persons: Adults – 2.40€ Children – 1.80€ Single tent – 2.10€ Family tent – 2.40€ . Hot showers: Cafeteria: Shop: Telephone: Pets allowed. No credit cards.

Léon
SAHAGÚN: 2nd : All year
Municipal ‘Pedro Ponce’: Tel: 987 780 415 Fax: 987 781 112
www.campinglacota.com ponce@campinglacota.com
1 100 persons: Adults – 3.70€ Children – 2.60€ Single tent – 3.20€ Family tent – 3.80€ Pets allowed: Post and telephone: Restaurant: Cafeteria: Mini-market: Hot water showers: Post & Telephone: Credit cards accepted

MANSILLA DE LAS MULAS: 2nd : 29/6 to 1/9
Esla: Tel: 987 310 089 Fax: 987 311 810
www.ayto-mansilla.org info@ayto-mansilla,org
168 persons: Adults – 3.70€ Children – 2.60€ Single tent – 3.20€ Family tent – 3.80€ No pets allowed: Hot showers: Restaurant: Cafeteria: No credit cards.

LEÓN: 2nd : 1/6 to 25/9
Golpejar de la Sobarriba: Ciudad de León: Tel: 987 269 086 Fax: 987 214 798
www.vivaleon.com/campingleon.htm camping-leon@yahoo.es
4km from León: 141 persons: Adults – 3.20€ Children – 2.75€ Single tent – 3.50€ Family tent – 3.75€ No pets allowed: Hot showers: Cafeteria: Mini-market: Post and telephone: No credit cards

VILLADANGOS DEL PARAMO: 2ND : 14/4 to 28/9
Camino de Santiago: Tel: 987 680 253
494 persons: Adults – 3.60€ Children – 2.50€ Single tent – 3.00€ Family tent – 3.60€ Pets allowed: Post and telephone: Restaurant: Cafeteria: Mini-market: Hot water showers: Post & Telephone: Credit cards accepted

HOSPITAL DE ORBIGO: 2nd: 1/6 to Sept:
Don Suero De Quiñones: Tel: 987361018
All facilities: June to September.

SANTA CATALINA DE SOMOZA: 2ND: 15/3 to 15/10
At Santa Colomba de Somoza – bear left on Le142 before reaching Santa Catalina
www.tronus.net/campingcarb narciso@ganaderosteleno.org
240 persons: Post and telephone: Restaurant: Cafeteria: Mini-market: Hot water showers: Pets allowed: Post & Telephone: Credit cards accepted

RABANAL DEL CAMINO:
Wild camping possible in a field at Rabanal or the open area just beyond the village: No facilities

Galicia
O’CEBREIRO:
Wild camping is possible in field at the back of the village.

Lugo
SARRIA:
Wild camping possible on the banks of the river – access from Pont Riberio.

PORTOMARIN:
Santa Maria – Turn right after crossing the bridge and then right again by the panaderia. 1km down the lane.

A Corúna
ARZUA: All year.
Don Manuel: Turn left 500m from town centre – behind the hotel. Bar, restaurant, pool.

SAN MARCOS:
Restaurant: Pool: Bar – no shop.

SANTIAGO DE COMPOSTELA:
Monte do Gozo: 1st : 20/6 to 25/9
Tel: 981 558 942
1 227 persons: Adults – 4.18€ Children – 3.46€ Single tent – 4.18€ Family tent – 7.00€ No pets allowed: Restaurant: Cafeteria: Mini-market: Hot water showers: Post & Telephone: Credit cards accepted.

As Cancelas: 2nd : All year
408 persons: Adults – 4.60€ Children – 3.50€ Single tent – 4.80€ Family tent – 4.80€ Pets allowed: Restaurant: Cafeteria: Mini-market: Hot water showers: Post & Telephone: Credit cards accepted.

Las Sirenas: 2nd: All year
Tel: 981 898 722 Fax: 981 580 844
300 persons: Adults – 3.50€ Children – 3.00€ Single tent – 3.50€ Family tent – 3.50€ Pets allowed: Restaurant: Cafeteria: Mini-market: Hot water showers: Post & Telephone: Credit cards accepted.

Here you will find a pretty complete listing of Campings available in Spain. Zoom in to about 400% on the map on page one and look at the green tent icons. Click on page two 'per autonomia' for a full list of camping locales. Good for all camino rputes in Spain. (You will see many more greent tents on the camino Norte than on the Frances.)

http://elcaminosantiago.com/PDF/Map_Spain_Campings.pdf

(Information from “Guia official de Hoteles y Campings del Camino de Santiago” as well as from various guides and web-sites)

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back