• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

To people who walked the Camino in Trail Runners

Lmsundaze

Time of past OR future Camino
CF (2016), CP (2017)
Did you get a larger size than you are wearing now for the Camino. With trail runners did you use sock liners. Thanks!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello there! :) If you have no problem with your ankles, thus there is no need for extra suport, GO with trail runners. Go as light as possible. I used Salomon gtx 3d ultra 2, and even those were very stiff and hard at the end of the day. I recommend 1 full size bigger for a longer walk (800 km) with thicker wool (merino) socks. But still... everyone is different. Try on the shoes and walk around the shop in the socks that your are going to wear with them.

Buen Camino!

At least for me, my trail runners are a pretty snug fit (and a great thing is that the edges around my heel are flexible not hard and so less likely to create blisters) although wide enough to wiggle my toes sideways - less room between toe and end of shoe than a shop might suggest for regular boots

I now use them for everyday walking - I then I wear regular sinle thinish cotton socks - on the camino, I wear a thin liner sock and then a barefoot sock

I'd be reluctant to blindly think of adding a size - snug fit (in fact difficult to put on) with socks and no movement of heel but lateral movement of toes would be a sensible goal - maybe try in the afternoon when feet are supposed to have swollen a bit

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I'm planning on walking in New Balance running shoes, and did get a size larger. I'll be wearing coolmax liner socks and smart wool hiking socks. My feet are problematic, so I figure the extra size to accomodate more sock padding will help.

I have not walked the camino yet, but I have been training in trail runners that are my normal shoe size and will most likely wear this size.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I ditched the boots for my next Camino (April ) and I'm training in Altras lone peaks 2.5 great toe box snug heel, farm-to-feet friction free nylon socks about 200 miles into it so far so good I will get a new pair of Altras two weeks prior my departure.

Zzotte

Hello there! :) If you have no problem with your ankles, thus there is no need for extra suport, GO with trail runners. Go as light as possible. I used Salomon gtx 3d ultra 2, and even those were very stiff and hard at the end of the day. I recommend 1 full size bigger for a longer walk (800 km) with thicker wool (merino) socks. But still... everyone is different. Try on the shoes and walk around the shop in the socks that your are going to wear with them.

Buen Camino!
Good advice............

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am also training in Altra Lone Peaks. I do find that, when carrying a pack especially, my feet ache after about six miles. Am hoping that with time this won't happen any more... If you have a wide forefoot/toes, you really need to try the Altras. Your toes say "ahhhh".

At least for me, my trail runners are a pretty snug fit (and a great thing is that the edges around my heel are flexible not hard and so less likely to create blisters) although wide enough to wiggle my toes sideways - less room between toe and end of shoe than a shop might suggest for regular boots

I now use them for everyday walking - I then I wear regular sinle thinish cotton socks - on the camino, I wear a thin liner sock and then a barefoot sock

I'd be reluctant to blindly think of adding a size - snug fit (in fact difficult to put on) with socks and no movement of heel but lateral movement of toes would be a sensible goal - maybe try in the afternoon when feet are supposed to have swollen a bit

========

IMHO and experience, "everyday walking" is far different from walking the Camino with 10 Kg or more on your shoulders. Perspiration, cushioning to avoid friction, and extra sizing to accommodate swelling are more of an issue. Also, your feet WILL get wet.

All of these factors support going a shoe / boot at least one full-size larger than the size you wear for casual use at home, when not on Camino. This provides space for feet swelling, extra layers of socks, and avoiding the dreaded "toe-bump."

"Toe bump" is where your toes bump and rub against the inside front of your shoe / boot toe box, as you walk down hill. This condition will cause blisters, lost toenails, and diminished enjoyment.

I hope this helps.

Did you get a larger size than you are wearing now for the Camino. With trail runners did you use sock liners. Thanks!
I walked the entire camino last fall in teva shoes...1.5 larger than I normally wear. loved the fact that they "breathed" during the day. and they were fast drying after a day in the rain. I used vasoline on my feet daily. Wore toe socks covered by thick and soft wool socks. Never had a blister or any problem with my feet.

========

IMHO and experience, "everyday walking" is far different from walking the Camino with 10 Kg or more on your shoulders. Perspiration, cushioning to avoid friction, and extra sizing to accommodate swelling are more of an issue. Also, your feet WILL get wet.

All of these factors support going a shoe / boot at least one full-size larger than the size you wear for casual use at home, when not on Camino. This provides space for feet swelling, extra layers of socks, and avoiding the dreaded "toe-bump."

"Toe bump" is where your toes bump and rub against the inside front of your shoe / boot toe box, as you walk down hill. This condition will cause blisters, lost toenails, and diminished enjoyment.

I hope this helps.

Not for me - only carry between 3-6kg - and never suffered the dreaded "toe-bump"

I buy shoes slightly larger than you would wear at home. This provides some room for swelling feet and for toes on steep down hills. Make sure to purchase a brand that allows you to do this and can be tied tight so the heel does not slip. Most running supply stores and their sales staff can help you in this important selection. I jokingly say that, “I wear a size 11, but 12 feels so good I buy size 13.”
If you want to read some more about minimalistic footwear and an epic adventure to boot (pun intended), check out “Born to Run” by Christopher McDougall.

Running shoes are the only way to go for me (after 2 Caminos with walking shoes and horrible blisters). I use light weight running/hiking socks and size the sneaker as always about a thumb nail extra at the toe. That and vaseline works well for me.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks people for sharing your experiences. I wear Saucony Peregrine 5 for training and like them, but based on everyone's advice I just ordered another pair a half size larger. Saved money too, apparently they have been discontinued for "Peregrine 6." I hate it when running shoe companies change shoes like this.

I will be walking in May 2016 and have been training in the Altra Lone Peak 2.5. So far my feet are liking them ... such a relief to have room for my wide toe box!! I did go up a whole size ... Hope they continue to feel great.
Thanks to others for posting about this option of trail runners, otherwise, I probably would not have known about them to even try out! ;)

I always buy New Balance.
I always get them 1-1.5 sizes larger.
I used to layer my socks - depends on the weather.
Sometimes I use liners. Sometimes I just use cotton under with SmartWool over.
I've done this over 10 years every year with no problems.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Based on the above replies in response, I rest my case for buying larger than usual sizes...
I have never doubted that camino footwear should be larger than one's street footwear. What I rail against is the advice to buy something a size larger. It is only good advice for someone who cannot find a local retailer and get their shoes fitted properly. My advice is:
  • find an outdoors retailer which has a walking slope (although once you found your size in the brands and styles you are interested in, this is less important)
  • go later in the day, after walking as much as possible beforehand,
  • take the sock combination you intend to walk in, or at least ones of equivalent thickness,
  • take any orthotics, heel wedge etc that you normally use for walking
  • an easy way of checking there is sufficient room at the front of a trekking shoe is to remove the inner sole, put it on the floor and check there is sufficient length at the front.
  • a good sales assistant will make sure that your heel doesn't move when the footwear is properly laced, and you have sufficient width and length. If they don't, think about shopping somewhere that can do the fitting properly.
At that point, don't be surprised if the size is one or more standard sizes larger than your street footwear.

In addition to the advice above, do not neglect the factor of insoles. Well fit quality insoles are very important for long distance walks. In summer I would never use sock liners in trail runners. Just snug fit socks, and change them (or let them dry) as soon as they get wet.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Someone posted an interesting video here of a shop owner explaining how to find the right size shoe for trekking: pull out the insole, place your foot on it and make sure you have about a half inch of space by the toes. I tried it with the shoes I wear and that was about the room I had.

I live in Toronto and bought amazing anti blister socks from MEC they were great I have to see what the name is Aliwalks

I have never doubted that camino footwear should be larger than one's street footwear. What I rail against is the advice to buy something a size larger. It is only good advice for someone who cannot find a local retailer and get their shoes fitted properly. My advice is:
  • find an outdoors retailer which has a walking slope (although once you found your size in the brands and styles you are interested in, this is less important)
  • go later in the day, after walking as much as possible beforehand,
  • take the sock combination you intend to walk in, or at least ones of equivalent thickness,
  • take any orthotics, heel wedge etc that you normally use for walking
  • an easy way of checking there is sufficient room at the front of a trekking shoe is to remove the inner sole, put it on the floor and check there is sufficient length at the front.
  • a good sales assistant will make sure that your heel doesn't move when the footwear is properly laced, and you have sufficient width and length. If they don't, think about shopping somewhere that can do the fitting properly.
At that point, don't be surprised if the size is one or more standard sizes larger than your street footwear.
Totally agree. But I'll go further and suggest that most of these people should be wearing that same (larger) size every day!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I ditched the boots for my next Camino (April ) and I'm training in Altras lone peaks 2.5 great toe box snug heel, farm-to-feet friction free nylon socks about 200 miles into it so far so good I will get a new pair of Altras two weeks prior my departure.

Zzotte
Altras and Hokas are my current choices. The Altras have thin uppers, so they dry fast. The Hokas now have a Gortex upper(I don't have a pair yet) I ahve shoes that are 1/2 size bigger than normal, there are many toe-jamming downhills. The Hokas are light weight with very thick soles. My original shoes, Ola Kais were too thin and I bruised my foot(they dried very well). Be one with your shoes, I don't believe you need boots......... Ultreya, Buen Camino........ Willy/Utah/USA

I have never doubted that camino footwear should be larger than one's street footwear. What I rail against is the advice to buy something a size larger. It is only good advice for someone who cannot find a local retailer and get their shoes fitted properly. My advice is . . .

If people doubt this advice, I suggest they walk for 6 hours straight for 3 or 4 days in a row, carrying a pack weighing at least 10% of their body weight, and then decide.
Especially if they are over 50.
I would bet dollars to donuts that 9 times out of 10, their feet are going to SWELL enough to warrant a larger sized shoe.

Of course, there is no "one size fits all" for the Camino.
However, I suggest the one size too large for all my groups, and so far, it's never failed.
By the time you add socks, liners, and gel inserts, as you say, it's no surprise that a larger size is in order.

But, do as you will :p and if your shoes end up too small, you can buy a new pair on the Camino!

If people doubt this advice, I suggest they walk for 6 hours straight for 3 or 4 days in a row, carrying a pack weighing at least 10% of their body weight, and then decide.
I would bet dollars to donuts that 9 times out of 10, their feet are going to SWELL enough to warrant a larger sized shoe.

However, I suggest the one size too large for all my groups, and so far, it's never failed.
By the time you add socks, liners, and gel inserts, as you say, it's no surprise that a larger size is in order.

But, do as you will :p and if your shoes end up too small, you can buy a new pair on the Camino!

I think proper fit it's better then just getting a size or two larger just because, if you get the wrong size you may end up with blistered feet from the shoe slapping around loose, proper hydration will help with feet swelling (not just water) proper lacing your shoes specially down hill will keep you toe nails healthy, so that's my two cents :) with that said I think one should have a 1/2 inch room in front of your longest toe there another two cents :)

Zzotte

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I think proper fit it's better then just getting a size or two larger just because, if you get the wrong size you may end up with blistered feet from the shoe slapping around loose, proper hydration will help with feet swelling (not just water) proper lacing your shoes specially down hill will keep you toe nails healthy, so that's my two cents :) with that said I think one should have a 1/2 inch room in front of your longest toe there another two cents :)

Zzotte

Everyone should just do what they want.
It's YOUR Camino and every foot is sacred! :p
What do I know anyway! lol!

I agree with you Annie, :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Everyone should just do what they want.
It's YOUR Camino and every foot is sacred! :p
What do I know anyway! lol!

I see how it works now LOL LOL

I buy 1/2 size larger than usual. And snug fitting, good quality hiking socks.
My favorite socks are called "Darn Tough". They have a variety of sizes and fit my feet well. I only use one pair and never liners. I almost never get blisters. Amost. ;)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have not walked the camino yet, but I have been training in trail runners that are my normal shoe size and will most likely wear this size.

TOOOO late to change your shoes/runners now Ratyoke.
Whatever you have worn in .......use...........and you will still get blisters.

And toe bump can also be caused by shoes that are too big and cause the foot to slide forward in the shoe.

Yes, if a person just wears shoes that are so large their foot slides forward, of course.
But the object is to wear 2 pair of socks so the shoe fits fine, then as the feet swell, you can rid yourself of the extra socks and your shoes still fit.
I have never experienced "toe bump" - ouch!

I have not walked the camino yet, though I have done a lot of trail hiking and have run marathons. My blister problems were dramatically reduced when I started wearing Wright socks. They have two layers.

My issue is that left foot is much shorter than my right foot. I am used to having a shoe that is too big on my left foot to accommodate my right foot. If I go up a size, it will be like two sizes on my left foot.

Those who are wearing Altra Lone Peaks; did you get the rock guard they sell to protect your feet from rocky terrain?

I know there's another thread about this, but what insoles are you all wearing? I got some Superfeet and my feet still ache after a long walk on pavement.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
@JillGat if your feet are aching there is something wrong. It is going to be worse on Camino. You could try more cushioning, but I wonder if the particular shoe is right for you? I thought that my feet were 14km feet at one stage, because they would always start to ache about then. I tried extra cushioning with inserts but it did not solve the problem. My podiatrist had a look at my gait and my shoe (designed to be supportive) and put me in a neutral lightweight Asic shoe, and presto, ache disappeared. She told me aching can also occur if the arch support is in the wrong place, or the "break" where the shoe bends, is too far forward of the toes (which can be a problem with getting shoes fitted longer than normal).

Just wondering if it would be worth visiting a podiatrist - one with knowledge of sports and long distance walking?

I'm planning on walking in New Balance running shoes, and did get a size larger. I'll be wearing coolmax liner socks and smart wool hiking socks. My feet are problematic, so I figure the extra size to accomodate more sock padding will help.
Hi, I have walked twice in trail shoes the last time I did the CF I wore New Balance Leadville a half size larger and I also wear 2E width. I have just bought my New NB Leadville V3 yesterday for my next Camino this year I will be walking from Valencia. A great shoe.

I'm wondering about what shoes to wear. The trekking shoes I have feel a bit snug and after reading everything here I am really concerned about them. The most comfortable shows I have are Alpina Diamondhttp://www.alpinasports.com/product/diamond/419 . I think they would be great but I worry about the fact they aren't very waterproof. I'm walking the Frances in May so not sure how much a waterproof show is important. So hard to decide!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Waterproof shoes are not needed in May on the Francés.

In spring the weather is unpredictable. Sorry.

The choice is between waterproof shoes that hold back the water but will still get wet if it pours, and take a long time to dry, and non-waterproof shoes that get wet quickly but "walk dry".

Waterproof shoes also tend to be hotter, which can cause sweating, so moisture inside that cannot escape. Reguardless of what manufacturers say, no waterproof membrane "breathes" as well as a non waterproof membrane.

Personally I prefer non-waterproof, even if I know it will be wet. But that is me and I now wear hiking sandals. Others will have very different and still very good advice.

Have a look at Sealskinz socks, but they are expensive and be warned that some people hate the feel. I also read a post recently from a person who got holes in them, which, considering the cost, is disappointing. I carry them and only use them when it is cold and wet, when I have loved them.

Waterproof shoes are not needed in May on the Francés.

In spring the weather is unpredictable. Sorry.

The choice is between waterproof shoes that hold back the water but will still get wet if it pours, and take a long time to dry, and non-waterproof shoes that get wet quickly but "walk dry".

Waterproof shoes also tend to be hotter, which can cause sweating, so moisture inside that cannot escape. Reguardless of what manufacturers say, no waterproof membrane "breathes" as well as a non waterproof membrane.

Personally I prefer non-waterproof, even if I know it will be wet. But that is me and I now wear hiking sandals. Others will have very different and still very good advice.

Have a look at Sealskinz socks, but they are expensive and be warned that some people hate the feel. I also read a post recently from a person who got holes in them, which, considering the cost, is disappointing. I carry them and only use them when it is cold and wet, when I have loved them.
As @Kanga says, these are very personal points of view, and certainly I think only present one side of the argument.

If you are going to wear non-waterproof footwear, you can expect your feet to get wet, and quickly. The time it takes will vary with factors such as the intensity of the rain, whether the water pools on the track surface, footwear construction, the ankle height of the footwear, etc, etc. But don't expect your feet to stay dry for very long. At that point, you are at far greater risk of getting blisters because of the greater friction between your socks and your skin, particularly when the skin on the soles of your feet begins to wrinkle.

In contrast, footwear with a waterproof membrane will protect your feet from the ingress of water from most places except the big hole at the top. Even the protection there can be enhanced by wearing a pair of gaiters to protect from water splashing in off the track surface. In my experience it is possible to stop water getting in for several hours even in quite severe rain and crossing marshy terrain. Your feet may still get damp if your work rate is high and your feet sweat, or if you are walking for extended periods at a high work rate in rain gear. Excess sweat is then no longer being transpired or absorbed, and begins to run down your legs into your footwear. This is not common - I have only ever had this happen at the end of a long day walking in consistently rainy conditions.

As @Kanga notes, you could move the waterproof membrane and have it in the sock rather than the footwear. It appears that durability might be an issue with this approach, but if you are only going to wear waterproof sock on rainy days, the risk of wearing them out should be reduced.

As for whether waterproof footwear dries any faster or slower than non-waterproof footwear of similar construction, I would be interested to know if anyone can point me to any objective evidence of this. But in all that, I am not sure that it is the best way of looking at this. The real issue is whether the inside of the boot is damp when you need to use it the next day. For non-waterproof footwear, this is a very real possibility because all the layers of the boot will have become wet. For boots with a waterproof membrane where the inside has only become a little damp from sweat, I have found that proper drying techniques have given me very good results in drying out the inside overnight.

Given all these considerations, my preference is to wear waterproof footwear, and I will be doing that in May this year.

Doug, my weird who-knows-what-synthetic-lined and mesh-upper Asics were feel-dry almost straight away. I wore them through pouring rain on the Le Puy for days. No blisters. Dry shoes every morning, no matter what. A different story with leather shoes I tried on the Tourensis. Never again.

Socks also make a difference.

@Kanga, our personal experiences are just that, and we are always going to have difficulty making general observations about them. I tried sandals on my first CF. Sandals had never given me problems before, but I got a blister within 30 minutes just walking around Pamplona. I have worn leather boots on all my pilgrimage walks, including several days of fairly constant rain in Norway to add to the interest of walking through upland marsh and peat bog - never had a problem, and never blistered in the boots. Would I recommend sandals in preference to good walking boots - never, but neither do I not recommend them. I have observed people who have walked successfully in them, and I understand your experience, so I am aware that they might be a good option for some people, but I am not tempted to generalise about what I know to be a personal experience.

I started participating in this forum just yesterday. It's a bit addictive, but wonderfully informative. Thanks everyone for the fruits of your experience. I'm leaving on my first Camino next month. Good thing I gave myself 12 months to prepare! I developed plantar fasciitis about 2 months in and I'm still not quite 100%! Anyone at any age can develop plantar fasciitis (="heel pain"). I agree with dougfitz that everyone is obviously different. I have a weak ankle which lets my left foot flex sideways and strains/inflames the plantar ligament under my foot. SO, after a visit to a podiatrist, I use custom inner soles to wedge my foot sideways. I've also had many sessions with a physiotherapist. My most comfortable footwear are my hiking boots because I need the support around the ankle. I tried a few different types of socks, ended up using Wigwam. My boots fit perfectly so I don't expect to be troubled by blisters. Very interesting comment above about sweat running down legs under rain pants. I've planned on carrying an extra pair of socks every day - might take two pair on rainy days. I must hand wash every night to save baggage weight so am using all synthetic fabrics, including socks, so things have best chance of drying overnight.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I started participating in this forum just yesterday. It's a bit addictive, but wonderfully informative. Thanks everyone for the fruits of your experience. I'm leaving on my first Camino next month. Good thing I gave myself 12 months to prepare! I developed plantar fasciitis about 2 months in and I'm still not quite 100%! Anyone at any age can develop plantar fasciitis (="heel pain"). I agree with dougfitz that everyone is obviously different. I have a weak ankle which lets my left foot flex sideways and strains/inflames the plantar ligament under my foot. SO, after a visit to a podiatrist, I use custom inner soles to wedge my foot sideways. I've also had many sessions with a physiotherapist. My most comfortable footwear are my hiking boots because I need the support around the ankle. I tried a few different types of socks, ended up using Wigwam. My boots fit perfectly so I don't expect to be troubled by blisters. Very interesting comment above about sweat running down legs under rain pants. I've planned on carrying an extra pair of socks every day - might take two pair on rainy days. I must hand wash every night to save baggage weight so am using all synthetic fabrics, including socks, so things have best chance of drying overnight.

I will have a pint on the blisters Mike , payed @ the Orient whenever i visit.
You will get them mate.

My wife always changes her socks after every 2 - 3 hrs and since the first camino 8 yrs ago is frree of them but we do the 20km distances as we age. .
We also use vaseline, it works .
Whenever you need coffee or a break for whatever reason thats the perfect time for the change.
Hand wash in the shower , hang them up , change into something warm and visit the restr. for food or pastis for the warmth only.

If you are going next month are you starting in Spain ?? instead of STJPP.
Take your time early and enjoy.
Buen Camino

Last edited:
I will have a pint on the blisters Mike , payed @ the Orient whenever i visit.
You will get them mate.

My wife always changes her socks after every 2 - 3 hrs and since the first camino 8 yrs ago is frree of them but we do the 20km distances as we age. .
We also use vasaline, it works .
Whenever you need coffee or a break for whatever reason thats the perfect time for the change.
Hand wash in the shower , hang them up , change into something warm and visit the restr. for food or pastis for the warmth only.

If you are going next month are you starting in Spain ?? instead of STJPP.
Take your time early and enjoy.
Buen Camino

Thanks Thornley, I'll buy you a beer with or without blisters! While training, I've walked as much as 20km but usually 10km and no blisters yet. 22km a day for weeks is another story, I'm sure. I'm leaving from STJPDP. I'd hoped to take the Route De Napoleon but that's closed so I've maybe turned out to be a bit naive about the weather. Buen camino.

Thanks Thornley, I'll buy you a beer with or without blisters! While training, I've walked as much as 20km but usually 10km and no blisters yet. 22km a day for weeks is another story, I'm sure. I'm leaving from STJPDP. I'd hoped to take the Route De Napoleon but that's closed so I've maybe turned out to be a bit naive about the weather. Buen camino.

Nothing to do with the weather Mike , its closed until 1/4 [Orisson not open ] and the authorities are serious about it.
Suggest Ronsecvalles but if fine the bottom way via Valcarlos is great but it has some hidden tricks.
Don't do it alone.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Suggest Ronsecvalles but if fine the bottom way via Valcarlos is great but it has some hidden tricks.
Don't do it alone.
I think this needs to be explained. I certainly did it alone, but a couple of weeks later, closer to the end of March. What are the risks involved that need to be considered and would suggest someone doesn't do it by themselves?

Scan this earlier Forum thread for more on the Valcarlos alternate including a few 'hidden' and/or unclear turns. Heavy rain, dense fog and of course snow could make the route more difficult. In such weather I have always walked on the left-side verges of N135 and not the path.

I am starting Frances April 17, still debating shoes. Think it will be ok with non-waterproof trail runners?

I have never worn waterproof shoes on the Camino.
I had to wear waterproof boots when I worked for USFWS and that cured me.
My feet sweat, got wet, and I had fungus before I knew it.

On the Camino I wear New Balance trail runners.
I go EVERY May and my feet have been soaked less than a few times.

When my feet do get wet, the shoes are dry by morning.
I just don't think waterproof shoes are necessary on the Camino in May.

I think this needs to be explained. I certainly did it alone, but a couple of weeks later, closer to the end of March. What are the risks involved that need to be considered and would suggest someone doesn't do it by themselves?
I did Valcarlos Route alone in January with a fair amount of snow from just past Valcarlos onwards. No tricks, just walk cautiously along the road as necessary. Not a lot of traffic the day I went through and when any vehicle came I just switched sides of the road.

Hi Doug,
Are you talking about Valcarlos or over the top when you walked in late March?

We also use vasaline, it works .
A lot of people swear by vasoline but the idea of smearing smelly grease all over my feet is not appealing. I suppose the idea is to eliminate friction, so you would have to apply it lavishly. But doesn't it feel yucky? How can you air your feet if they're coated with a greasy film? And what about washing your socks? I have often wondered about these things so take the opportunity to ask as the departure date draws ominously near.

€46,-
A lot of people swear by vasoline but the idea of smearing smelly grease all over my feet is not appealing. I suppose the idea is to eliminate friction, so you would have to apply it lavishly. But doesn't it feel yucky? How can you air your feet if they're coated with a greasy film? And what about washing your socks? I have often wondered about these things so take the opportunity to ask as the departure date draws ominously near.

Just a little bit , just a little bit of vaseline .
Where the feet , toes rub , the heels , the top of your toes the bottom of your toes the side of your big and small toe.
Forget the arches....just a little bit
If you want to air your feet you will have to wear sandals.

Did you ever play footy of any type ?
Covered in oil and the jumper over ....it washed ok didn't it.
Vaseline smelly ?? I can think of worse and by the time you have had 6 nights in albergues you will know what i mean.
And for washing the socks ????? We found it a fraction easier than the needle & cotton and the blisters needing to be pierced.
Anyway to each their own but please give the forum an update by Pamplona/Burgos or Leon on the blister situation.
You are just over 1/2 way then mate.

PS
Any idea what the cyclists wear under their pants which stops the rubbing on the bike seat ?????

Hi Doug,
Are you talking about Valcarlos or over the top when you walked in late March?
I walked Valcarlos on the recommendation of the pilgrim office in SJPP. Some people took Route Napolean that day, and even those that left around the same time as I did, around 8.00 am, were still coming in 12 hours later. What I couldn't understand is what appeared to be a recommendation not to walk Route Valcarlos alone. It didn't strike me as presenting particular hazards, but you might have insights about walking it earlier in the year, and why you recommend that.

I walked Valcarlos on the recommendation of the pilgrim office in SJPP. Some people took Route Napolean that day, and even those that left around the same time as I did, around 8.00 am, were still coming in 12 hours later. What I couldn't understand is what appeared to be a recommendation not to walk Route Valcarlos alone. It didn't strike me as presenting particular hazards, but you might have insights about walking it earlier in the year, and why you recommend that.

Twice over the top were enjoyable ,
On the three occasions going the ""lower"" we had some very interesting moments on the first walk.
In early May 08 they closed airports , closed ferries from UK and closed over the top .
Planes took the wrong run ways and people died , terrible weather.
It was pouring rain and nobody, and i mean nobody walked past Valcarlos making the crossing two days of walking.
The road was dangerous after Arneguy where people walked thinking it was the shorter way.
They were mainly single women, staying in CR and made the decision when no one was around or following them closely. We only discovered this when having a drink in the village where we collected the keys to the albergue.
The ones who took the lower way into town , thats 99% got very wet feet as the river was flooded ,
Next day one person leaving early and on his own got lost , was emotional and all everyone heard was this yelling .
He missed the GATE when in the forrest and continued onwards / upwards towards Orisson he was in a bad way, the weather was terrible and when he decided to turn around all he could see were identical forrest paths. . He returned to Valcarlos when helped out.

The road had extra traffic because of luggage and pilgrims being transported to Ronsecvalles and was slippery / dangerous.

We eventually , and i mean everyone Doug stayed on the road as the bottom of the forrest was muddy and slippery and under water.
We walked on the road until the water fountain entrance [ last one] and all was ok from there ,
but Doug when we arrived at the top [ car park] we came across a young girl who was sitting in the fog, and it was a heavy fog. There was a car parked which made her nervous and she could not find the arrow leading down to RON from the car park.

Eventually we all made it ok but on entering RON , a local told us there was a lovely CR in Burguete , 3 km further.
**A very hot large bath, news paper in the shoes and in front of a roaring open fire, clothes washed and ironed and a beautiful elderly couple made us realise we were having a unique experience.

Last year [2015] Doug we still went the lower way as it was 40c in late June .
We were walking on a weekend after commencing in Moissac on the GR65 and arrived in STJPP around 11am.........had lunch and took off.
We stayed in the CR Etxezuria [ luxury for 50e] , very good meal in second cafe in village and next day strolled up the empty mountain road and continued on to Burguete.
Unfortunately a death in the family has stopped the CR taking pilgrims but the Hotel Loizu was lovely as was the hotel used in "The Way" Hotel Akerreta @ Larrasoana.

****I was just informing/advising maybe a few young or old pilgrims Doug that the lower , a very misleading word to describe this path , can be just as hard and i believe harder than the way over the top, especially in inclement weather .
We will always go the lower route and stop at Valcarlos because it gives us a good days walk from Ostabat.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
@Thornley, thank you for that. Certainly it sounds like 2008 was an interesting year, and one needed to take a lot of extra care in the prevailing conditions. What I do think I would take away is that any crossing of the Pyrenees in inclement weather has its dangers, and walking alone is then clearly inadvisable. I suspect their might be many people who set out alone from SJPP who have yet to understand that they could and should ask to walk with others at that early stage, nor perhaps understand how willing others would be to offer that companionship when the going is difficult.

Try Vick's Vapor Rub for vaseline with a scent. If you want the texture, strong smell, but also antibacterial and healing properties take Bag Balm with you.

Where the feet , toes rub , the heels , the top of your toes the bottom of your toes the side of your big and small toe.

how possibly vaseline can help, assuming one wears socks? you actually need a friction between a foot and a sock to prevent skin rubbing. putting vaseline on the sock then? does not make sense to me. the only place where one can put some grease is between toes. for all other hotspots taping with something like leukopore tape works best.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
PS
Any idea what the cyclists wear under their pants which stops the rubbing on the bike seat ?????
My husband uses Chamois Butt'r Cream. However, years ago, on a bike tour in Germany, I had such a bad rash that out of desperation, I picked up a tube of diaper rash cream. It worked amazingly. Now, I'm wondering how it would work on feet? Has anyone ever tried it? As for a replacement for "stinky" Vaseline, what smells better than a baby's butt?

how possibly vaseline can help, assuming one wears socks? you actually need a friction between a foot and a sock to prevent skin rubbing. putting vaseline on the sock then? does not make sense to me. the only place where one can put some grease is between toes. for all other hotspots taping with something like leukopore tape works best.
My son runs ultra marathons , he uses vasaline
Whatever you choose Koknesis but never KNOCK anything unless you have tried it.

Try Vick's Vapor Rub for vaseline with a scent. If you want the texture, strong smell, but also antibacterial and healing properties take Bag Balm with you.

Paw Paw cream is very good for all skin rashes , and soft as well.

My son runs ultra marathons , he uses vasaline
Whatever you choose Koknesis but never KNOCK anything unless you have tried it.
No worries, have tried it. Vaseline is supposed to prevent skin chafing, and works indeed upon skin to skin contact (you may guess the most affected spots), but taping is much better for skin to foreign matter contacts. Of course, this, as many other issues is pretty individual, but I never go out for a good run without patches on my nipples. Otherwise people think I have been shoot by a careless hunter, or having stigmata for Gods sake.

€60,-
Three Caminos, three sets of Merrell trail shoes (unlined) and wore thin synthetic running socks with them. Worked for me.
Due to pronation issues I did put aftermarket insoles in them, and got them 1/2 size larger to allow for the insoles, but I did bring the factory insoles with me.
If I do another Camino I will wear New Balance trail runners with thin running socks. Remember, you got's to let them feet breathe. Sweaty feet=blisters.

It does work and I carried it on all my Caminos. Put a light coat on my feet every morning before I started. It doesn't have a smell, and yeah, the socks get greasy, but so what? You can still wash them. Get the trail dust off.
When I finished I threw them in the trash bin in Santiago along with my shower flip-flops. They did their duty well. I had one set of unused socks in reserve for the trip home.
Vaseline is great stuff.

Did you ever play footy of any type ?
Sadly it wasn't offered at my all girls school.

Anyway to each their own but please give the forum an update by Pamplona/Burgos or Leon on the blister situation.
You are just over 1/2 way then mate.
What no beer offer?;)

JustAny idea what the cyclists wear under their pants which stops the rubbing on the bike seat ?????
None, but my son who does a fair bit of long distance hiking and running swears by Body Glide®. I got some from Santa and can report that it doesn't smell. Surprised no-one's mentioned it.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

What no beer offer?;)

None, but my son who does a fair bit of long distance hiking and running swears by Body Glide®. I got some from Santa and can report that it doesn't smell. Surprised no-one's mentioned it.

My lad swears by Body Glide as well Lachance
If i knew the gender earlier i would have told you HER majesty does the washing on the camino's.
You know when you don't do things correctly just to hear.....thats not good enough i'll do it.
Everything is washed @ her shower time [ after mine ]whilst i search for a bar /coffee outlet that will be open early the following day on the "way out". As we walk into the town we normally select a bar/restr. where we will meet up after HRH has showered and washed to write up her diary and dine.

What no beer offer?;)

Yes , you have the same terms as Mike on the beer.
Blisters you shout , no blisters i shout.
Orient on The Rocks as with all that humidity up there i need to be by the H2o
Safe and good walk ,
D

Bodyglide does the job very well for smooth areas, but as it ks sold in a harf tube, like a deodorant stick it is difficilt to get in between toes. I have used body glide with great success en route in groin area and under my bras underwires.

Running shoes are the only way to go for me (after 2 Caminos with walking shoes and horrible blisters). I use light weight running/hiking socks and size the sneaker as always about a thumb nail extra at the toe. That and vaseline works well for me.
My son used Solomon 3d... Not a blister until 2 days out from Santiago ... He loved them. No need for forex for 5 months of the year. I have used north face trail runners , new balance and karrimor( a British budget brand)... New balance were so light I felt like I was flying..

But that is me and I now wear hiking sandals. Others will have very different and still very good advice.

We have been advised to wear hiking sandals in the wet and keep our trail runners dry.
Do you wear the Sealskinz socks with your sandals?
Do you think toe socks (non-waterproof) would be suitable?
Thanks Kanga.

Hi @auldies yes, I wear the Sealskinz with my sandals (in the wet) and you could wear toe socks underneath, or even by themselves if you don't mind them getting wet.

Someone posted a link to Dexshell waterproof socks (which seems to be an Australian company) and I've just ordered a pair, so you might consider them instead of the Sealskinz.

Here's the website http://www.dexshell.com.au

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi @auldies yes, I wear the Sealskinz with my sandals (in the wet) and you could wear toe socks underneath, or even by themselves if you don't mind them getting wet.

Someone posted a link to Dexshell waterproof socks (which seems to be an Australian company) and I've just ordered a pair, so you might consider them instead of the Sealskinz.

Here's the website http://www.dexshell.com.au

Thanks so much Kanga.
This is really helpful and encouraging.
I've checked out the Dexshell socks and I can buy these quite close by so I will definitely be checking them out.
One further question if you don't mind please.
Do you have any experience walking in sandals with non-waterproof socks? Is this a potential problem?
We don't mind walking with wet socks, but if they can cause problems it may be sensible to buy some waterproof ones.

Non-waterproof socks and sandals are fine in dry weather. Lots of people wear them. I don't know how they would be in the wet - I'd certainly make sure I had extra dry ones to change into. I do have some very tightly woven wool socks that are very water resistant.

Non-waterproof socks and sandals are fine in dry weather. Lots of people wear them. I don't know how they would be in the wet - I'd certainly make sure I had extra dry ones to change into. I do have some very tightly woven wool socks that are very water resistant.

So many questions............sorry....
If you wear the waterproof socks with sandals doesn't the water run down the legs and into the top of the socks?
Trying to visualise gaitors, socks and sandals! :D:cool:

So many questions............sorry....
If you wear the waterproof socks with sandals doesn't the water run down the legs and into the top of the socks?
Trying to visualise gaitors, socks and sandals! :D:cool:
You're way overthinking the whole thing. Ha ha.
Just wear whatever socks you find most comfortable. If they get wet, they get wet. Believe me, if it's really raining that hard, nothing you wear will keep your legs and feet 100% dry.
Really no need to wear gaiters.

You're way overthinking the whole thing. Ha ha.
Just wear whatever socks you find most comfortable. If they get wet, they get wet. Believe me, if it's really raining that hard, nothing you wear will keep your legs and feet 100% dry.
Really no need to wear gaiters.

Thanks Mark.
This is most helpful.

Yes, I agree. Sometimes a bit of No 7 fencing wire is good enough to fix the dunny. And really, getting wet and coping is one of the pleasures of the Camino. Getting wet is pretty harmless when you have a dry shelter at the end of the day.

On the specific question, Sealskinz (and I assume Dexshell) are stretchy and fit closely around the ankle and calf. I can't recall water getting in that way. Dexshell also make long socks for wading in streams (fishing) but I think that is overkill.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Don't mind getting wet at all.
I guess I'm just trying to work out if the waterproof socks are a justifiable expense.
We have already bought 3 pair of Injinji toe socks and 3 pair of Icebreaker socks each, but thought if the waterproof socks might help eliminate the chance of blisters in the wet, then it might be a worthwhile consideration.
I guess there's no definitive answer but it's all food for thought.
Everything is a brand new experience for us :confused:
Thanks again Kanga.

Don't mind getting wet at all.
I guess I'm just trying to work out if the waterproof socks are a justifiable expense.
We have already bought 3 pair of Injinji toe socks and 3 pair of Icebreaker socks each, but thought if the waterproof socks might help eliminate the chance of blisters in the wet, then it might be a worthwhile consideration.
I guess there's no definitive answer but it's all food for thought.
Everything is a brand new experience for us :confused:
Thanks again Kanga.

Hi Auldies,
I am glad you told Kanga that you don't mind the rain because you blokes up North do get a bit . and may i say the same as Sydney and actually both twice as much as Melbourne......i smile
We started off with Merrell many years ago , now on Keen but still use sandals [ Ecco] half the walk each day.
Wool socks in the morning if cold with sandals and then we change at the coffee break.
The army teach their guys to stop and have a breather every two hours.......... thats what we have followed for a many years now and it works.
Stop ...change your socks........give the feet a breather and walk a bit further.
Don't complicate this walk guys , you will see kids in Volley runners and flying... please don't plan too much .
By the time you have finished you will have reached the stage ............why did i worry.

We have already bought 3 pair of Injinji toe socks and 3 pair of Icebreaker socks each.
6 pairs of socks! You are worrying too much. Just start using what you have on walks at home and see what works. For example, I but one of the thicker Injinjis and they collected so much humidity from my feet that the skin where the toes meet the foot, on the bottom part of the foot, tore, just like kt does after days and days of scuba diving, but with the thinner Injinjis I don't get problem. Trouble shoot at home and bring as few things as you can en route.

6 pairs of socks! You are worrying too much. Just start using what you have on walks at home and see what works. For example, I but one of the thicker Injinjis and they collected so much humidity from my feet that the skin where the toes meet the foot, on the bottom part of the foot, tore, just like kt does after days and days of scuba diving, but with the thinner Injinjis I don't get problem. Trouble shoot at home and bring as few things as you can en route.

Not necessarily a bad idea - since spare socks are so light to carry - ood idea to try beforehand but might still be worth taking for peace of mind

Hi Auldies,
I am glad you told Kanga that you don't mind the rain because you blokes up North do get a bit . and may i say the same as Sydney and actually both twice as much as Melbourne......i smile
We started off with Merrell many years ago , now on Keen but still use sandals [ Ecco] half the walk each day.
Wool socks in the morning if cold with sandals and then we change at the coffee break.
The army teach their guys to stop and have a breather every two hours.......... thats what we have followed for a many years now and it works.
Stop ...change your socks........give the feet a breather and walk a bit further.
Don't complicate this walk guys , you will see kids in Volley runners and flying... please don't plan too much .
By the time you have finished you will have reached the stage ............why did i worry.

Thank you @Thornley and hello down there in Melbourne.
I spent a week down there in January and the weather was fabulous.
There's hardly a cloud int the sky and 34 degrees up here today so wishing I was back there atm!!
No chance of training in the wet that's for sure.
Very sound advice on all levels.
I believe stopping and giving the feet air exposure and a fresh pair of socks could well be the key.
That's definitely what we will plan to do.

Doug, my weird who-knows-what-synthetic-lined and mesh-upper Asics were feel-dry almost straight away. I wore them through pouring rain on the Le Puy for days. No blisters. Dry shoes every morning, no matter what. A different story with leather shoes I tried on the Tourensis. Never again.

Socks also make a difference.
@Kanga what socks work for you, please?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Now I walk in sandals sock free. But I used Thorlos when I wore Asics.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
First Camino and walking with my wife. Decision time. Fleece and Puffer. I think one only but weather looks changeable at the moment. Trying to keep under 7kgs! Looking forward to a experience of...
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.