• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

To Phone or not to Phone

almhath

I have been reading, particularly the thread on charging phones/kindles, and I thought I'd say I've been debating whether or nor to even take my iPhone. The iPhone 4. The reason: It is heavy. Along with it's adapter for recharging. It's the only thing I'd bring the adapter/charger for. Leaving it out of my plans helps, I've thought.

I hear most towns have a place where you can get on the internet, check email, maybe conduct a little business if needed.

But I also hear that a woman walking alone could use the phone, if it gets a signal, for security purposes—or for aid, if not around others and got an injury.

As of late, I'm still inclined to take the phone, as I've also reploaded it with many photos of such things as route maps, alburgue phonenumbers, other phone numbers, etc., to make the trip work better if needed. Those other things, all the photos of maps or phone numbers, only weigh as much as the electrons, but it's my understanding the electrons would be in the phone if charged, anyway :)

Overall, I'm thinking I should take it.

Almha

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Almha,

It appears you've done the + and - thing and found the phone worth taking. That said, check with your carrier about overseas charges, if there are any. In my case, I left my phone on "Airplane Mode" and I turned my "Data Roaming" off, unless I needed to receive or send something. In stead of sending emails to family and friends, I sent Pictures with comments.

Really came in handy on occasion.

Buen Camino,

Arn

Hi Almha

I'm not a phone addict, but overall I'd suggest it's comforting to have one. As you say, it's good for safety and also for family to contact you in case of emergency at home. In practice I just texted people a few times when we got separated but wanted to catch up in the evening.

I suggest taking an old or cheap phone so you're not too worried about it being lost, stolen, or handwashed to extinction (as happened in my case). :oops:

Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Definitely a phone. You can never predict an emergency that might require the ability to contact family or the authorities.

Unless you have an unlocked iPhone, you may not have reception, and if you do, roaming charges could be very expensive. I suggest you check your plan before leaving. As an alternative, you can buy a used cell phone that is unlocked and buy a SIM chip when you get to Spain. The price of the chip will be about the same as the amount of money that is on it when you make your purchase, usually about 10E. As a note, the cell phone stores are generally closed from Saturday afternoon until Monday morning.

I just purchased a Vodafone data chip on eBay for my unlocked iPhone, but I won't know if it works until I get there! It was $10.94US and includes one Euro of credit. The deal says 'Internet is 3,5€ by week!!! sending a SMS to 22521 writing " TPTARJETA"' I guess I will see...

I have walked the le Puy route for two consecutive years, with my iPhone. And I will walk from Prague to Nuremburg this year with the new iPhone 4S. Based on my previous experience, I would not consider leaving it at home.

It's a phone for calling home or calling locally (be sure to sign up for your carrier's international plan before you leave the US, and turn it off when you return home. For something like $5/month, your call charges are reduced around 15%). Also set up your Skype account before leaving the States.

It's a camera. So you don't need to take a separate camera or its accessories.

It's an eReader. So it's not absolutely essential to take a Kindle or Nook along.Some guidebooks are available as eBooks, so you save the weight of those also.

It's a map box. So you don't need to carry hard copy maps unless that's your personal preference.

By relying on WiFi, you can completely avoid those pesky excessive data charges. To do that, it's not necessary to use Airplane Mode. Instead do this:
1) Settings>General>Network: shut off Data Roaming
2) Email>settings: turn off Fetch to prevent automatic downloads
3) Change voicemail settings so you only pick up messages manually
4) Settings>General>usage: to track your limit

It's my (possibly faulty) understanding that Location Services does not use the data feed but instead triangulates off the cell tower positions. But you may want to turn off that feature as a battery saver.

With the advent of WiFi, the local and convenient internet cafe is rapidly disappearing. I found WiFi at least every other day, where I saw internet cafes only once a week (in France). With Skype or similar, you can use the WiFi for phone calls with minimal cost.

So - do take the iPhone. And don't spend a ton to take advantage of it.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I am a 59 year old woman.
I have walked several times and have never taken a phone.
I've never missed having it.

There are places where you can rent computers (cheap) and make international phone calls (also cheap) in the larger cities along the Camino.

To take a phone because you might meet one flasher somewhere along the way seems overkill.
I mean, honestly, who would you call?

My opinion is just go... leave the phone at home.
Take a break from it.

I'm being required to take one for the tour I'm leading in June so my walkers can get in touch with me. But if it weren't for that, I wouldn't even consider taking a phone.

If you have an emergency there will be other walkers with phones...

Ok.

So I'm thinking I'll take the iPhone because there will be some things I'll need to stay in touch with back home. I don't know how much. Hopefully affairs will be alright.

I've called AT&T and talked with them. I can sign up for their international roaming for $5 or so a month, plus $20 a month for a data plan if I go that way. I'm an emailer, so I'll see and consider vs. finding wifi hotspots. No biggie.

But the benefit I think is the ability to take photos and send them to people documenting the trip, sharing........AND I've been inspired by some folks above, so I went out onto the internet and found 2 ebooks (in PDF) and some more information (in PDF) which I've now put onto my iphone also.

I think I'll read all of Brierly's guide before going, but then I may only take some selected parts of it for the Camino, as I can save a lot of weight that way.

(I sure wish I was in shape enough to walk all the way from SJPP to Rencesvalles in one day, but I just don't see myself getting that in shape before going. It's not the distance itself, but the climb and descent. Orisson...)

Almha

Good! Decision made. Just be careful not to leave expensive phones or gadgets visibly on a cafe table etc, especially in the big cities. You're unlikely to experience crime but simple precautions make it so much less likely.

Buen Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Almhath:

It appears you have made up your mind but I will add my two cents. I purchased a cheap Spanish phone for less than 20 Euro's. The cost of the phone included a 5 Euro credit. It was great for keeping in touch (texting) with other pilgrims I had met along the way and for the occasional call in Spain (no charge). I called home about once a week and home could call me. I did my email almost daily from Albergues or internet centers in local communities. You can easily add funds to the phone in tobacco shops, some tienda's and phone stores.

I eliminated the weight of my Ipad and android phone and the concern over losing them during my walk. Thought I would miss them but did not.

Ultreya,
Joe

If you take photos of the Brierley guide, can you read them on your iPhone? It would save a little more weight.

falcon269 said:
If you take photos of the Brierley guide, can you read them on your iPhone? It would save a little more weight.
Interesting, Falcon
Looks like I can get about half a page more or less legibly per photo. It would take some time to copy but might be worth it for the weight savings.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Take the phone. I took an iPhone 3GS last year and have no regrets. I'm sure you're not going to spend any great length of time talking on it while walking (some people do).

Iternet access (other than through wifi) isn't always that accessible. An albergue may only have one or two computers - if any at all - while at least one village I stayed in had wifi access throughout the whole village. It does have its uses as far as security's concerned but you're never likely to be alone for all that long - particularly not on the last 100km. It will however allow you to take photos and keep in touch with friends & family via e-mail more often that you probably would be able to otherwise. Of course make sure you turn data roaming off if you don't want a large bill waiting for you when you return home.

As for the Brierly guide, rip the introduction pages out if your concerned about weight (whether or not you read them first is a matter for you).

Cheers

Anthony

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.