• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

To plan or not to plan

Kayla

Time of past OR future Camino
I plan to walk in August 2017
Hello all! I'm starting my first camino (Norte) July 15th! I'm just wondering if I should try to plan out my walls each day. As in should I plan out the walk and where I want to be at the end of every day or should I wing it once I'm there.

I don't generally plan things out because I like being spontaneous, but I don't want to screw myself over by not being prepared.

Thoughts?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Do You! It will all work out!

It will definitely be busier in July and some of the accommodation you head for may be full when you arrive, but you will ALWAYS find somewhere to sleep!

If you are comfortable with spontaneity and changing your daily plan if you have to, you will be fine!

Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello all! I'm starting my first camino (Norte) July 15th! I'm just wondering if I should try to plan out my walls each day. As in should I plan out the walk and where I want to be at the end of every day or should I wing it once I'm there.

I don't generally plan things out because I like being spontaneous, but I don't want to screw myself over by not being prepared.

Thoughts?

The only way to know how far you can walk each day, are to do walks at home while wearing the same weight of backpack and wearing the same clothing and shoes. At a comfortable pace, walk the number of hours you envision walking on the Camino. Do it several days in a row. Assess how you feel, make any adjustments to weight, shoes, and pace, and then do it all again. Can you do more, or do you need to do less? Keep a walking journal to note things that might help you, the progress you are making, and adjustments that must be made.

Yeah.... like most potential pilgrims are going to do be able to do that prior to their Camino, or even WANT to do that. :)

So, you CAN do what is necessary to have a high degree of confidence on walking distances so that you can plan ahead and know where you will likely be able to end your day. I am probably one of the minority of "pre-pilgrims" who pretty much knows what distances I am capable of hiking and walking per day for many consecutive days on end. I know because I am an experienced backpacker and long-distance thru-hiker who keeps in shape walking 15 to 20 miles at least every other day, and on most weeks hiking on several consecutive days with a backpack load heavier than what I will actually be carrying on Camino.

But, even with my background and experience, I am mostly going to "wing it". Even though I like to walk long hours and see each step I walk as part of my spiritual introspection, I still have no idea what might side-track me; what chapel or church might catch my eye, what conversations I might wish to relax with for a time, or what Pilgrim Masses I will be able to attend (even though I am a Baptist). There are too many unknowns for me to say, with practical definitive authority, that when I start my early-morning walk I will be certain I will end up at a specific village, town , or city.

People plan and God smiles. Being spontaneous does not mean being unprepared. Make sure you have enough Euros on hand. Accept that if you decide to end your day someplace other than where you thought you would be at the end of your day, that you will still be able to find shelter, food, and rest. That may entail either stopping earlier than you planned or requiring that you continue on for a bit: just be flexible to your unique situation.

I have never done a Camino. So, when I take my first steps on Camino Frances on September 15th from St. Jean Pied de Port, I know I am capable of making it to Zubiri, but I have no idea IF I will make it that far. I may decide to enjoy the aspect of a pilgrim tradition by stopping at the Roncesvalle alburgue.... or stop at one of the intermediary villages between Roncesvalle and Zubiri. Heck, I might get bowled over and crippled by a rogue cow (or a bicyclist) while going over the Pyrenees and need to be rescued. Or I might sleep outside between villages.

Free yourself to experience, in fullness, something that you are really looking forward to. Don't let the worry of over-planning spoil things for you. :--)

Last edited by a moderator:
Davebugg has the right idea. Knowing your capacity and reviewing the road ahead will allow you to see the things that are important to you and give you some security in knowing you have alternatives for eating and sleeping. You will find your pace.
Buen Camino
Andrea

Thoughts?
Hi Kayla , look a Night before at the route you want to walk the next day .
Than you know what you can expect .

Wish you a wonderful time and a Buen Camino,Peter.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Depends how much time you have and how busy it is. I have done all combinations from complete winging to planning all my stages. On a long camino where you have no tight schedule and it isn't high season, winging is great. Conversely last year I did Primitivo in July and I knew I only had 2 weeks and I was starting a new job the following Monday, so I had to make my flight on the Sunday. I therefore planned all my stages. But I didn't book them all. Before I left home I booked my first night in Oviedo and my nights once I would be joining the Camino Frances, as I knew it would be busy. When I was on the camino I mostly did not book, but sometimes booked one day ahead.

Overall I would say, you should always know the night before where you are aiming for the next day. Always book your first night because you will probably arrive later than other pilgrims. Once on the way, you will get the lie of the land pretty quickly and be able to know if booking a day or two ahead is necessary.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Considering that we were dipping ourselves in the sea in beautiful Zarautz yesterday evening it is certainly a change in weather today, however, that has not dampened our excitement of the walk...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.