• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

To plug in or not, that is the question...

HPalola

Time of past OR future Camino
Taking about 12 days for my first Camino walk in July, 2015. Starting in Ponferrada.
Hi all. So I am leaving in less than two weeks (PSYCH!!) and every other day I change my mind about whether or not to bring my iPad. I want to unplug from technology, but at the same time I'm thinking it would be dumb NOT to bring my iPad because I could then have the Camino App and my night sky app and all my kindle books and music to soothe me at night and ..... and ..... and ...... I have a kindle and an iShuffle so those could take care of the music and books. I also have a small digital camera. What is your opinion? Did you have a better experience with it or without it? (Is this a first-world problem or what?!)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi all. So I am leaving in less than two weeks (PSYCH!!) and every other day I change my mind about whether or not to bring my iPad. I want to unplug from technology, but at the same time I'm thinking it would be dumb NOT to bring my iPad because I could then have the Camino App and my night sky app and all my kindle books and music to soothe me at night and ..... and ..... and ...... I have a kindle and an iShuffle so those could take care of the music and books. I also have a small digital camera. What is your opinion? Did you have a better experience with it or without it? (Is this a first-world problem or what?!)
I had only a smartfone that gould do everything , Buen Camino , Peter .

Personally, I'd take the Ipad and leave the kindle and Ishuffle behind. I took my Samsung tablet. Almost did not use it, just to drop a msg every now and then to my parents to say I was fine, and when I got to Santiago and wanted to book a hotel instead of an albergue.

The Ipad can carry your books and music (and a photo of your passport!) and be a way to access internet if needed. But the camino is so interesting than I think most people naturally disconnect... I´d really suggest that you should have it with you, but get more info from the world and people around you than from the screen.

Also, check what time the sun sets. In May, when I went, no one would use a star app... simply because the sun was high until 11pm, and by that time everyone has to be inside the albergues.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I don't want to be a shill for the iPhone but if you have one that's probably the best bet (particularly if you want music as well). I've got both the Kindle and Nook reader on it as well as about 6000 songs (still a lot of room left). That said, I am going to try to disconnect as much as possible.

I personally would not carry a full-size tablet for the simple reason that it would fit awkwardly in a pack and likely to be damaged

If you have the mini, I would probably bring it and leave the Kindle at home. (I carry a Nexus 7)

If you have an iPhone 6 or 6+ and do not need to do actual work, it would probably be sufficient.

---

Unplug or not is another question... A good one.

Depending on your circumstances, you may have to keep in touch with friends and family or the office. Unplugging may not be an option.

Wrt music, I've walked for 3+ weeks listening to ambient sounds and perfectly happy about it. It is like plugging into something different. Then an artist caught my ear in a gîte. Asked the owner. Spotifyed the album. And discovered that my walking pace was faster when listening to music (irrespective of the tempo).

Wrt to reading books. Generally too tired to read much, half a book maybe.

Wrt to reading. Many many short reads. Googling about current events or places I am going through.

I brought an 8" tablet on my last Camino. Carried it in a zippered neoprene case for protection. It came in handy for keeping in touch with family back home and had a camera on it. It was a little bit of extra weight, but not much and small enough it rode in my pack with no problems. The neoprene case had a zippered pocket on the outside where I kept my smartphone as well as the power cord and adapter. If I thought it might rain I had a ziplock bag that it fit in.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You didn't say if you are also taking an iPhone/smart phone. Can't all those apps be transferred to an iPhone? Personally, I would not take an iPad - it's too cumbersome, and would be a pain to keep track of (think having to take it with you when you go for a shower). As to reading anything, I found what little free time I had, I just wanted to 'be' or, preferably, to be available to interact with others. Same with being plugged in listening to music --- who is inclined to start a conversation with someone who is plugged in? I say leave it at home.
Buen Camino :)

Last edited:
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
hi,i would leave it ! it will end up being something to mind.i expect you will end up spending your evenings chatting over a meal and or drink with people of great interest.all you really need in my opinion is a phone to send a messages and pics, i am often a worrier so did think my poor brain would be stressed out thinking about stuff ! however the only thing in my head was getting from A to B and delighted and relaxed when every single evening we found a bed,bliss :)too busy being tiredly satisfied to use my phone even though its the most basic one .

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We brought nothing then bought an ipod touch in Pamplona because we needed to be able to use Skype to call ahead because we had a 13 month old with us. But beyond that we were unplugged. Best decision ever. Next time we'll take nothing.

We took smartphones - as a phone, camera, wifi device. A tablet is just too bulky, IMO. If you bring your phone, you can be as plugged or unplugged as you like - you don't even have to turn it on if you don't want to. I used mine mostly as a camera, so it was off a lot.

Depending on your circumstances, you may have to keep in touch with friends and family or the office. Unplugging may not be an option.

This is a very good point. Some people don't have the option to completely unplug. And sometimes, it is REALLY important that someone from home can reach you.

I walked this year Camino Frances without any electronics. I enjoyed the freedom from worrying about recharging, breaking, or losing my device. But I also missed reading and would have liked to take a few pictures. As I am thinking of walking CF again next year, I am leaning towards taking something with me.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Bring the phone to take pictures and tell people back home all is well and the Ipad for reading in the afternoon and evening. You could bring books on Spanish history if that makes you feel better. Cathedral of the Sea is a Spanish version of the Coumt of Montecristo with an interesting historical insight of when the Camino was in ots infancy. Better the Ipad than the vino tinto if you ask me.

I brought an iPhone and accidentally dropped it in the toilet after five days... Freaked out because I was walking solo in March on the Via de la Plata where I often needed to call a phone number posted on the doors of the albergues to get them unlocked (and hadn't seen any other pilgrims). I pulled myself together and let it go believing it was meant to be and the camino would provide. Just found the bar in every town and someone got me a key:). More importantly, I learned to really be present in the moment and observe my surroundings and thoughts. It was one of the most profound and amazing caminos. It was life changing. When else will you have the opportunity to completely unplug and see who you are without all of the noise and diversions? What an amazing gift to truly see what is underneath all that monkey chatter;)!
I will bring a phone on my next camino for apps, texts, safety (112) and camera, but will keep it off most of the time.

I brought an iPhone and accidentally dropped it in the toilet after five days... Freaked out because I was walking solo in March on the Via de la Plata where I often needed to call a phone number posted on the doors of the albergues to get them unlocked (and hadn't seen any other pilgrims). I pulled myself together and let it go believing it was meant to be and the camino would provide. Just found the bar in every town and someone got me a key:). More importantly, I learned to really be present in the moment and observe my surroundings and thoughts. It was one of the most profound and amazing caminos. It was life changing. When else will you have the opportunity to completely unplug and see who you are without all of the noise and diversions? What an amazing gift to truly see what is underneath all that monkey chatter;)!
I will bring a phone on my next camino for apps, texts, safety (112) and camera, but will keep it off most of the time.
Laura, as you said, it is not the object but how you use it. Burry yorself in it, and miss out. Don't bring it and spend pms with vino tinto and borring conversation, such a pity.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You didn't say if you are also taking an iPhone/smart phone. Can't all those apps be transferred to an iPhone? Personally, I would not take an iPad - it's too cumbersome, and would be a pain to keep track of (think having to take it with you when you go for a shower). As to reading anything, I found what little free time I had, I just wanted to 'be' or, preferably, to be available to interact with others. Same with being plugged in listening to music --- who is inclined to start a conversation with someone who is plugged in? I say leave it at home.
Oops, I should have realized that some persons plug in just so that others would not be inclined to start a conversation with them. I, of all people, should appreciate whatever it is that others do to maintain their solitude. (Must have been feeling gregarious when I posted that.:))

Wow. I think the Camino definitely had something to say to you! :) I tend to agree with you about taking this opportunity to unplug. I don't own a smartphone (only the dumb kind) and really my only concern is finding a place to stay each night. I think I will go with my gut and NOT bring the iPad and trust that the Camino shall provide. Thanks a lot for your thoughts :)

I don't own a smartphone (only the dumb kind) - and I think I agree with you about NOT taking the iPad-- if for no other reason than it's HEAVY! I think I will just trust that I'll be okay and I'll find a spot to land each night and if it's a struggle then take a deep breath and roll with it.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I don't own a smartphone (only the dumb kind) - and I think I agree with you about NOT taking the iPad-- if for no other reason than it's HEAVY! I think I will just trust that I'll be okay and I'll find a spot to land each night and if it's a struggle then take a deep breath and roll with it.
Please bear with me a moment @HPalola. Are you planning to take with you your 'dumb' phone (as you call it)? I don't know much about the capabilities of this type of phone when taken to a foreign country, but I believe one can purchase a relatively inexpensive phone in Spain to use for the duration of a visit if all one wants is some ability to communicate.

Please bear with me a moment @HPalola. Are you planning to take with you your 'dumb' phone (as you call it)? I don't know much about the capabilities of this type of phone when taken to a foreign country, but I believe one can purchase a relatively inexpensive phone in Spain to use for the duration of a visit if all one wants is some ability to communicate.
Thanks for your thoughts. My phone is fine.... I've used it in the past in Europe, the Middle East, North America, and South Africa. It will work just fine for communication as needed. :)

I had both the iphone and mini ipad. Used the ipad to write a daily blog and for the kindle capabilities and iphone extensively. On a next camino, I would only bring the iphone, I found that I didn't have much time to read and if I decide to write a blog, which I'm not sure I would, I can use the iphone to write it. I can also read on the iphone if I decide too.

Buen camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks for your thoughts. My phone is fine.... I've used it in the past in Europe, the Middle East, North America, and South Africa. It will work just fine for communication as needed. :)
Ah, well, there you go! You're all set! That may even be more than @LauraK would say you need ;). I wish you a Buen Camino, unplugged or otherwise. :)

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back