• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

To rainwear or not?

Caligal

Time of past OR future Camino
CF April 4- May 12, 2018
CF Sept 10-27 2019
CP Sept 28- Oct12 2019
C Finisterre Oct 16-Oct 20
Last year I walked from Pamplona to Santiago in April/May lots of rain! I had a rain jacket, pack cover and a poncho, was thankful for all three as I kept dry and warm. This year I am walking in Sept/Oct. Pamplona to Sarria, taking train to Porto and doing the CP to Santiago, then the Santiago-Finisterre- Muxia - Santiago Camino. Do I need all 3 of my rain gear or can i get by with just a poncho? Thanks for any advice. Dee

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Caligal,

You never know about the weather but being prepared is better than not. For the first time, I’m considering a poncho instead of a rain jacket. I like the extra layer the jacket provides and I don’t like a poncho blowing in the wind but for gentle rain, a poncho is more comfortable/cool. I won’t take both, I’ll make my decision based on the extended forecast and cross my fingers. I leave on May 30. The extended forecast for Spain and Portugal is above average temps. Good luck.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I always take both rain jacket, raintrousers, gaiters , raincover to my bp and poncho, october may be cold and rainy, bring some warm clothes for cold albergues as well, and a headlight for dark mornings.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I did as Jozero suggesed: Altus poncho (adding gators when needed). It worked perfectly for both of my Camino's on the Frances. Loved both the venting aspect and the ease of keeping the poncho at hand, just wrapping the poncho arms through my pack waist straps and leaving the pack covered as the rain kept switching on & off. Got my Altus in SJPDP.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I use a poncho and a very lightweight jacket. They get used in various combinations. I use a pack cover also. I have rainpants that only come on late season caminos. I'm okay with wet trousers, but not cold and wet.

My rain jacket also served as a windbreaker. It worked well both for walking, hanging out in the evening, etc. My sea-to-summit poncho was used the only 2 days it rained

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
How comfortable are you with being wet? As long as I am not cold (10C+), I am good with being wet. So I bring:
- light rain coat (doubles as a windbreaker for evenings)
- short gaiters
- neoprene socks
- merino hoodie
and my smartwook socks can double-up as mittens

My Camino (Sept - Nov 2017) I took a Gortex jacket and rain pants. I sweated a lot wearing these and ended up as wet wearing these from the sweat as I would have from the rain. Now when hiking I take a Frogtogg poncho and a length of paracord to tie around my waist if the wind gets high.

I also have this question: due to work I can only go in July. I’m leaving from Pamplona the first week of July. Would I typically require a raincoat in high summer? Mine is huge and heavy, because I am rather huge and heavy.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I also have this question: due to work I can only go in July. I’m leaving from Pamplona the first week of July. Would I typically require a raincoat in high summer? Mine is huge and heavy, because I am rather huge and heavy.

Just get some Frogg Toggs and you are good. They are huge, extremely lightweight, unless Goretex they never wet out and best of all, you can have them for like 15 bucks.

Last year I walked from Pamplona to Santiago in April/May lots of rain! I had a rain jacket, pack cover and a poncho, was thankful for all three as I kept dry and warm. This year I am walking in Sept/Oct. Pamplona to Sarria, taking train to Porto and doing the CP to Santiago, then the Santiago-Finisterre- Muxia - Santiago Camino. Do I need all 3 of my rain gear or can i get by with just a poncho? Thanks for any advice. Dee

Yeah! It may be rain or not. But, you should carry all 3 pieces.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Three caminos in Sept/Oct. CF, CP and Norte respectively. Used our rain suits and pack covers on all three.

When I did the CP in the last 1/2 of September, one day of light rain - my ultralightweight raincoat, my dirtygirl gaitors (also ultralightweight) and a pack cover were all I needed.
While I didn't need these, I brought latex gloves to wear over lightweight wool gloves - another untralightweight idea.

Just get some Frogg Toggs and you are good. They are huge, extremely lightweight, unless Goretex they never wet out and best of all, you can have them for like 15 bucks.
I haven’t heard of Frogg Toggs, but I will do some googling to see if they are available where I live (Europe)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.