• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

To shave or not to shave

Mad Manx

Time of past OR future Camino
English
I am thinking of not carrying anything to shave with to help save on weight.

With catching Covid and then having 10 days compulsory leave. I haven't shaved for 24 days.
It has started me thinking about not shaving while on my next camino.
I could by kit on route if I needed too or get a Barbershop shave.
What does everyone else think 🤔

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

With catching Covid and then having 10 days compulsory leave. I haven't shaved for 24 days.
I haven't shaved my top lip in 40 years but the beard goes from full to goatee as I feel like it.
At the start of a Camino it will be a neatly trimmed goatee (clipper No2) by the end of a full Camino Frances it's a nesting place for robins . . .
Except one year when I had a wet shave with a cut throat razor in a Leon barbershop and started again.
I'd agree with your idea - you know what it's like at the itchy stage now and if you change your mind, well there are enough supermarkets around to cater for your needs 🧔‍♂️ > 👨 > 🧔‍♂️

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I vote no shaving. I normally have a face full of hair to make up for what I’m losing on top, but normally keep it pretty tame.

I fell in love with Spanish barbers in the late 1990s and did stop in Leon along the way and got a beard/mustache trim as I was getting tired of saving portions of my meal in the facial hair. Finally got a proper post camino cleanup in SdC as well. Inexpensive pampering!

My husband shaved so that he would get better protection from an N-95 mask with Covid. A beard impairs the seal which is why soldiers in the US must be clean shaven to be deployable. Gas mask does not work and you will be dead if you have facial hair.

In earlier Camino trips he did get beard trims in both Carrion and Leon. Also has a tiny nose hair/beard trimmer combo that runs on an AAA battery. Your choice, but if you see an increase of infection in the region you may want to shave to decrease possibility of re-infection while wearing a mask.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have recounted in the past a conversation with a retired RN officer from Scotland, who availed himselr of a Spanish barbershop shave every 3-5 days, as he saw fit. It's like a spa, he told me, and Spanish barbers of a ccertain age often did their military service as barbers and knew what they were doing. His Castilian was fluent awful and he had great chats with the other habitués and was steered to good restaurants, and friends in the next pueblo who had a great pension. He was several times invited to family homes for meals and also ended up being entertained in military messes.

For my own part, I got a beard trim once every fortnight, and found it a pleasant experience. Why carry all of this apparatus when we can hang out with our hosts and enjoy being part of Spain for a half-hour?

Last edited:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I quite liked not shaving, and then stopping at a barber shop about half way through and again at the end of my Camino (via de la plata)…. I’d probably have left it just for the end if it hadn’t been for my dislike of coffee in my moustache…. It feels like a fitting way to treat oneself for arriving at the very end of a long journey…. Part of the transition back to “life” after the Camino… but that’s just me!

one of my favourite Camino memories is a shave and haircut in Hospital d'Orbigo. The barber was VERY old school. No electric trimmers. Hand operated cutters and cut-throat razor. A true maestro!!

On my last (first) Camino I let my hair grow before I went and didn't shave after I started, I thought I looked like what a pilgrim should look like - when I got home my wife thought I looked a mess! When I go in May this year I'll shave and have a haircut before I go. The extra weight of a razor is minimal at 21 gms.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Heck, I don't even remember shaving my legs! I know I didn't bring a razor and I don't recall buying a disposable one at any point so I could shave! Thankfully I have very fair leg hairs haha. I say skip the shave!
One of the four medications they put me on after my mini-stroke has left me with hair free legs - my daughters are quite envious!

Hair much does a shave and a haircut (buzz cut) cost on the French Camino, roughly?
My husband asks in advance to be certain. Use Google Translate if you need to be certain of the cost. He is bald except the fringe around the ears and has them take it all off with an electric razor. He had a goatee last fall and he paid about 10 euros in Leon for a haircut and beard trimup which is about what he pays at home with his Sr. Discount.

The stylists/barbers were delighted to have him in the shop and he had to stay answering questions after he was done. It was a bit off the Camino so he was a pilgrim novelty. Don't know if they gave him a discount.

On my last (first) Camino I let my hair grow before I went and didn't shave after I started, I thought I looked like what a pilgrim should look like - when I got home my wife thought I looked a mess! When I go in May this year I'll shave and have a haircut before I go. The extra weight of a razor is minimal at 21 gms.
I once worked with somebody whose father was in the merchant marine. Her mother hated his beard so he'd grow one at sea and then shave it off as soon as he came home.
Jan would watch him shave and turn back to the Daddy she knew so well and decided to copy him but her teddy bear was never the same again. 🧸

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

I won't shave either, but will get a shave when I get to a city from a barber.

On my first Camino I did not shave at all, but I did ocationally trim my mustash. On my second Camino I shaved almost every day. I think I will go shave-less on my next.

Attachments

• PA250922.JPG
    PA250922.JPG
    6.7 MB · Views: 10

I just take a razor and use my soap and it works pretty well. I think my beard growth is pretty average. I show ever 7-10 days on the camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My winter beard keeps the face warm on the mountains in CO, but goes back to the Van Dyke in Spring. I carry a razor on the Camino and shave the cheeks and neck.daily for discipline. Just a dry shave in the mirror. No need to carry shave cream.

What does everyone else think
It's a very personal choice. Me? I prefer not to let facial hair grow. It just looks ragged on me, so I shave at least every 3 days My experience with long distance through hikes is that the weight of disposable razors is insignificant. I use bar soap as a lubricant. Not the most friendly on the face, but it gets the job done.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

As the wife of a Pilgrim with a neatly shaved beard, he broughta lightweight trimmer with him as that is what he wanted, it’s really a personal taste thing, So let it go wild, bring a trimmer, bring a razor or find a barbershop do what feels good to you. The weight of that is so minor don’t let it stress you out.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

I stopped shaving on the camino and decided to wait till I reach Santiago otherwise I look different to my passport photo

Carrying my cheap lightweight rechargeable shaver is my one and only luxury.

I dislike the feeling of four day old whiskers on a pillow going to sleep at night (Days 1, 2 are fine. day 3 is a bit iffy, and day 4 - gotta have a shave)

Besides, who wants to kiss a prickly porcupine? :cool:

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

To each his own....

I have had a beard for over 50 years at the time of my first Camino so there was no decision for me... no thought of lightening the load by (barely) a few grams by leaving the shaving kit home... The bead was trimmed with a #4 comb before I left, and it grew unfettered for the duration of the Camino (and longer).

However, for Caminos two and three (CF, CP), I had a #3 trim and my hair was cut commensurately short - no grooming required... Will do simialry for Camino 4 (if and when, COVID permitting).

Never shave on the Camino. Nothing to do with saving weight, it's just one more chore I can do without. Besides, who is looking at you on the Camino and who would I want to impress.

If the goal is to find love on the Camino then by all means shave. Very few shaved when I walked the Camino in 2017. It seamed to me many wanted to see how much beard they could grow when in an atmosphere of no work/office requirements and social expectations.

Attachments

• 7754B35B-0B48-46D3-9110-DA37567863E8.jpeg
    7754B35B-0B48-46D3-9110-DA37567863E8.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 7
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I had a full beard for forty years but had to shave it off when I had my heart bypass. Hence the photo to the left., but I started growing it again the next day. Obviously I don't shave on Camino. I convinced friends going on a Camino to grow a beard just past the scruffy stage before starting and they thought it was great not having to shave on Camino. I say that even if you start clean-shaven, don't shave. That way you will finish a new man.

I went with the beard and haven’t looked back but I would recommend beard oil to reduce the initial growing itch, buen camino 👍

A small beard brush helps with that itch too, and also conditions a beard as it grows.

Besides, who wants to kiss a prickly porcupine? :cool:

As a confirmed beardo of many decades who hasn't suffered from a lack of kisses in his lifetime, my answer to that question would be "you'd be surprised!" 🥰

I never shave on camino. its about just chilling for me and walking. nothing else matters :). you can always get a shave in Santiago

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Are you a lumberjack shaving with your ax? If not, the weight of a razor would seem negligible. Since you're already in the habit of not shaving, just continue it. As you say, you can buy things along the way, stop at a barber shop, etc

As a confirmed beardo of many decades who hasn't suffered from a lack of kisses in his lifetime, my answer to that question would be "you'd be surprised!" 🥰

You devil....Lucky you! 😉

Cheers

Graham.... P.S. Wondering how your personal confession got past the moderators? 😂

Last edited:
Are you a lumberjack shaving with your ax? If not, the weight of a razor would seem negligible. Since you're already in the habit of not shaving, just continue it. As you say, you can buy things along the way, stop at a barber shop, etc
That made me giggle

No shaving !!!!!!

Screenshot 2022-04-09 at 16.35.50.png

Ok, so I like to look good, and I like a little beard. Heaven forbid! I have a beard that seems to get whiter all the time but oh well. I don’t like straggly hairs… ok, this might be crazy but I carry a rechargeable beard trimmer with #3 trimmer attachment. When I share this with friends met they are like “what? (tf). I justify the added weight b/c I look good.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Of course. Why shave? Why clean fingernails? Why carry soap for 500 miles? Why hold back that belch, that sneeze, that fart? Why not jam that finger up your nose? Why cover up that hairy beer belly?
It's the Camino -time to be free!!

Don't shave if you don't want or like. Applicable for men and women alike.
But don't say the reason is to help you save on weight. There are plenty other items weighting more than a simple razor.

My first Camino in 2012 I didn't shave. Now, five Camino routes later, I still have my beard.

€60,-
Ok, so I like to look good, and I like a little beard. Heaven forbid! I have a beard that seems to get whiter all the time but oh well. I don’t like straggly hairs… ok, this might be crazy but I carry a rechargeable beard trimmer with #3 trimmer attachment. When I share this with friends met they are like “what? (tf). I justify the added weight b/c I look good.
im not going to take anything, if I pass a barber and the beard is annoying me, off it comes

I always take a razor and a mini bottle of shaving cream with me on my Caminos.

I would like to try how I would look with a full beard now. The last time I tried it was 30 years ago and when the beard gradually turned red, I was "asked by the government🤨" to shave it off.
The hair on my head is dark blonde and not so grey yet, but the beard is. It's bound to look interesting.

My "problem" is that I usually go on pilgrimage for four or five weeks in June/July. I'm not a Mediterranean type, but I still get quite tanned very quickly. I think after weeks in Spain and a subsequent shave I'll have a two-tone face.
I wonder if that would cause any enthusiasm at home😇

It looks like I should try a Winter Camino.

I like to shave still while doing the Camino, just nice personal hygiene etc also makes me fill better, but as for not carrying a Razor etc because of the weight, instead you have to carry the hair round your chin and when it's extra hot sweat round your neck, it's up to yourself

I didn't shave on my 2016 Camino, shaving only upon my return. Later, I had a personal sello made (with the same image I use as my Forum avatar, my email address, and Ultreia!). Since it shows me cleanshaven, now I feel I have to shave to match my stamp. :)

I didn't shave on my 2016 Camino, shaving only upon my return. Later, I had a personal sello made (with the same image I use as my Forum avatar, my email address, and Ultreia!). Since it shows me cleanshaven, now I feel I have to shave to match my stamp. :)

You could upgrade the tattoo and stamp ;-)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I stopped reading this thread after 25 posts and found many of them to be quite amusing.
My son, after 6 weeks walking in Spain, had the most beautiful "cut-throat" shave and haircut I had ever seen on him. I had never realized that those professional barbers were "a cut above" and for him it was totally worth the little indulgence.

I stopped reading this thread after 25 posts and found many of them to be quite amusing.
My son, after 6 weeks walking in Spain, had the most beautiful "cut-throat" shave and haircut I had ever seen on him. I had never realized that those professional barbers were "a cut above" and for him it was totally worth the little indulgence.
I agree! It is interesting how a small habit/kit like a razor tells so much more about us. I have met many women with razors on the Camino, also women who where surprised I brought make up 😎🥳 but I have never brought a razor.

And I also agree that weight hardly is a valid excuse… personally I often brought an iPad and a loudspeaker - anyway still keept it light below 5 kg - all seasons.

There certainly are some weird ideas expressed in this thread.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I like to shave still while doing the Camino, just nice personal hygiene etc also makes me fill better, but as for not carrying a Razor etc because of the weight, instead you have to carry the hair round your chin and when it's extra hot sweat round your neck, it's up too yourself
You could get a barbershop shave, but i wouldn't trust someone I dont know with the dreaded open cut throat razor, it make me think of Sweeney todd the demon barber of fleet street london, its up to you good luck

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.