• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

To SJPP and back from Santiago with bikes

freedom 55

:?
Hello
My husband and I are planning a mountain bike trip on the camino starting in mid September. We are investigating various methods of travel from Toronto, CAN to SJPP and from Santiago back to Toronto. There are various flight options but we would be interested in hearing from those who have suggestions on some good options for ground transportation.

Thanks

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
This year you can get an Air Transat directly to Madrid and back.

What I did last year was a flight to Paris CDG, then to Biarritz/Bayonne; a taxi to Bayonne train station and train to St PdeP.
Once in Santiago you get a plane to Madrid and Air Transat to Montreal or Toronto. You can also get a cheap flight from Santiago to Gatwick or Stansted in London.

Many options are available bearing in mind that, to me, bus travel in Northern Spain is easier than train. But nothing beats air travel....

Hi there

My name is Michael Leahy and I live in Toronto as well. I just booked my tickets and the cheapest was Zoom airlines via Paris and then connecting to Biarritz. If interested, I can refer you to an agency that in my experience over the years gets the best rates for the most options.

Best of Luck

Michael

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
air fare

dawn here, i am from western canada. for us flying out of vancouver, zoom only flew to paris end june to ?? so for me that wasn't an option.
my cheapest route was to london, then a one way fare with ryan air to biaritz and one way from santiago back to london. Even with buses and accomodation in london, WAS FAR CHEAPER than for me to fly into madrid or Paris.
you could always ride your bikes from Biaritz, it is beautiful country?
d

i'm a little bothered by your reference to mountain bikes
the camino for cyclists parallels the camino for walkers, that is to say, when the walkers are on a footpath as rather than a road, the cyclists take the road, not the trail
therefore, cyclists use touring bikes, not mountain bikes
please please please don't bike the trails, please leave the walkers in peace!

Mule droppings

Leslie,

That's hogwash. One can do the camino anyway they desire. Many bikers do the trail with a mountain bike. They are almost always courteous and respectful of the walkers. The walkers are almost always courteous and respectful of the bikers. How do you feel about dodging mule droppings on the trail?

Larry

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm with Leslie

Please drive wheeled vehicles on the road!
I've been knocked off the trail more than once by a mountain biker.
:(

travelling with bikes

Thanks for the travel tips. I am presently following up on the suggestions.

The intent of my original post was to seek information/ideas on the best air and ground transportation to and from the camino with a bike.

However, the subject of where one should ride their bike seems to be a contentious issue. I have a couple of comments on this matter. From what I have read, the original path eventually evolved into roads suitable for modern forms of transportation and in many cases the path was relocated so that the pilgrims can travel separately and safely. As a mountain biker, I too would like to travel safely and in "peace" apart from motorized traffic whenever possible. I am well aware of the need for courteousy and sharing.

biking the trail

May I suggest reading The Cycling Pilgrim available from the Confraternity of St James.

Also sign up to Santiago Bicileta a yahoo group linked from Ivars site.

I have mountain biked the Camino several times and have always been welcomed and been welcoming to all users!

Don't worry, you will continue to hear debate on who is a true pilgrim and why? Peter Robins wrote a thought provoking article on this issue in a recent edition of the bulletin of the Confraternity of St James.

Best wishes
John

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back