• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

To sleeping bag or not to sleeping bag?

Kate Allenger

Time of past OR future Camino
Walking the Camino Frances August 29 2018!!
Hi all, I'm super excited to be walking the Camino Frances in September this year (2018 - starting August 29th and ending around the first week in October). Should I bring a sleeping bag? Or perhaps a sleeping bag liner?(I've seen a couple of microfiber fleece liners that provide a little warmth and are very light). I will be staying in the albergues. Thank you!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi all, I'm super excited to be walking the Camino Frances in September this year (2018 - starting August 29th and ending around the first week in October). Should I bring a sleeping bag? Or perhaps a sleeping bag liner?(I've seen a couple of microfiber fleece liners that provide a little warmth and are very light). I will be staying in the albergues. Thank you!
I used the fleece liner as you described. It was more than adequate for me, and very light. As far as I am concerned, when the sleeping bag exceeds 2.5 lbs, it is a burden.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
There were about two or three nights I could have used a sleeping bag...mostly slept in basically a jogging suit and a silk bed sack that I bought on eBay...in my experience sleeping bags were in the top three most tossed items right after sleeping pads and large cloth towels.

There were about two or three nights I could have used a sleeping bag...mostly slept in basically a jogging suit and a silk bed sack that I bought on eBay...in my experience sleeping bags were in the top three most tossed items right after sleeping pads and large cloth towels.
OK, thanks

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
When I walked in September I took a 5 ounce silk liner, and a small down blanket that weighs 7 ounces that's just big enough to tuck inside the silk liner. On the hot nights I put the down blanket between the silk liner and the plastic covered mattress, which can be sticky when it's hot.

Last edited:
When I walked in September I took a 5 ounce silk liner, and a small down blanket that weighs 7 ounces that's just big enough to tuck inside the silk liner. On the hot nights I pit the down blanket between the silk liner and the plastic covered mattress, which can be sticky when it's hot.
Thanks for the advice

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If you do bring a sleeping bag, make sure it is one that weighs less than 680 grams/24 ounces/1-1/2 pounds.
Anything heavier than that you will regret and want to discard.
If you are on a budget, or just do not want to spend a lot on a sleeping bag, there are inexpensive ones out there. You do not need an expensive, high-tech one to sleep indoors on a bunk.
good luck

I walked the Camino last August/half September. I brought only a silk sleep liner, a few nights I shivered the whole night through. Personally I wished I had brought a blanket or at least something else warmer. Most private alburgues had blankets but the public ones didn't.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I retired 41 months ago and hit the road. I have used my sleeping bag only four nights, and none of those were in Spain. I have used my sleep sack (basically a cotton sheet made into a bag) hundreds of times.

I retired 41 months ago and hit the road. I have used my sleeping bag only four nights, and none of those were in Spain. I have used my sleep sack (basically a cotton sheet made into a bag) hundreds of times.
What a Moniker!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I used the fleece liner as you described. It was more than adequate for me, and very light. As far as I am concerned, when the sleeping bag exceeds 2.5 lbs, it is a burden.
Yup, I think the fleece liner is the way to go. Thanks

A follow up question if that is permissible? Has anyone ever just used a sheet or is that too little cover. Maybe a sheet weighs more also. I will be traveling for the first time this late august / September.

A follow up question if that is permissible? Has anyone ever just used a sheet or is that too little cover. Maybe a sheet weighs more also. I will be traveling for the first time this late august / September.
Most bed sheets weigh as much, if not more than a sleeping bag liner, and I suppose that is due to the cotton content of the average bed sheet.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Both times I walked the Camino, I used a sleeping bag. Worked well for me.

I walked the Camino Frances Sept.- Oct of 17 and stayed in alburgues. They had blankets and sheets. Worried about should I or should I not begin a sleeping bag. I didn't bring one and glad I didn't. Did not need and rather bring an extra shirt and pants in stead of the weight of the Sleeping bag.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Kate,
We've walked the CF (Sept 15-Oct 15) with just a liner bag. But we also carry very light down jackets (for the evenings), which we slept in a couple of times when it got chilly and the pilgrims were not packed in close enough to generate enough heat (and there was no blankets. Pro tip: ask for blankets; sometimes the alburgues have them, but not right on the beds). Look at Montbell for good, ultralight jackets.

We need to talk about those microfiber liner bags. That stuff is heavy. Most I see are over a pound (20 oz or so). Ridiculously heavy. That is the weight of 20-degree backpacking quilt I use for fall in the American mountains.

For less than the weight of a microfleece lince, I can carry a silk liner bag (4oz, Cocoon expedition) AND a down backpacking quilt (50 degree (more than enough) 12 oz, Enlightened Equipment), that is a far more flexible system (covering a greater range of possible temperatures--it was hot in Sept. 2016). Personally, I think the backpacking quilt would be overkill for Sept (it was necessary in the end of October on the CP) and would just go with the down jacket, but the point is you could do that and still save a quarter pound off the microfiber fleece.

Buen Camino,
Jo Jo

Took a sleeping bag that weighs 830gr. in Sept. and Oct. and was very happy I did. Taking it to Portugal in 3 weeks and again on the CF in Sept. There were some really, really chilly nights in some of the albergues. Saw a lot of blankets I wouldn't want to use and I am not going to sleep in my clothing as that is very uncomfortable to me.

I dumped my cloth sleeping bag by the time I got to Pamplona, and bought a superlight bag that was fine for that time of year (I walked Sept-Oct 2015). I've used it for some summer camping since. It was pricey at the time (about 50 Euro as I recall) but an investment that paid off. It was dryer-friendly, and I'd cycle it once every two weeks or so in case of bed-bugs (I did get bit one time, but I think it was actually in a carpeted lounge where I was drinking wine). Everything went into the dryer the next night!
David

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Pro tip: ask for blankets; sometimes the alburgues have them, but not right on the beds).
Second that. We had them on the beds when we expected it to be cold; otherwise, we brought them out when pilgrims asked.

I walked the Camino Frances Sept.- Oct of 17 and stayed in alburgues. They had blankets and sheets. Worried about should I or should I not begin a sleeping bag. I didn't bring one and glad I didn't. Did not need and rather bring an extra shirt and pants in stead of the weight of the Sleeping bag.
I saw blankets in lots of albergues, but rarely saw sheets.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Take the sleeping bag! A super lightweight one will be enough but you can spend more than a few nights at higher altitudes and it can get cold. I started 9th September 2016 and initially didn't have a sleeping bag and that very first night in Roncesvelles I was sorry. I had a thermal liner and then in Pamplona bought a gorgeous cashmere wrap from Zara, and used that with the liner and I was fine for a few weeks. In saying that though I would have to wake up a few times a night cold because turning over I'd kicked my wrap off. The wrap was the best thing I took. Early morning when it was cold I could get ready and then envelope myself and my pack in my wrap for an extra layer of warmth and then when it got warmer I could just unwrap myself and throw it over my pack which protected my neck from sunburn.

Around Astorga I was just getting too cold at night so I bit the bullet and bought a lightweight sleeping bag. It was super easy to just tie it on the outside of my pack and it wasn't any different weight wise. You might feel like you are carrying it for nothing early on if its still hot but believe me you will love it some nights!

I am prone to feeling the cold (live in northern Australia) but its a real challenge some days walking on no sleep if you are cold the night before. You want every second of every day with the ability to just absorb the countryside and enjoy what you are doing and doing it on 2 hours sleep makes that hard.

Buen Camino - you will love it.

Last edited:
Perfect timing on this topic.
I leave SJPdP on 12 April and have a very light sleeping bag because that’s what I was told to bring. However, I’m starting to doubt myself.
For April/May would you guys still advise just a silk liner bag?
Thanks, Jim

I didn't find one albergue on the CF that didn't have blankets, although sometimes I might have had to ask where they were. I didn't take a sleeping bag. I didn't have a clue when I first went, I just assumed that as I wouldn't be camping I wouldn't need one. I also assumed that albergues would have beds with sheets and blankets, even if in dormitories. Sheets were a bit of an exception, however, but many places provided disposable sheets (only to lie on, not to lie under) and disposable pillow cases. If you worry about the environment, you could take the sheet and pillowcase with you, rather than using a new set every time. If you are a bit 'sensitive', you may prefer to have something between you and a blanket that probably hasn't been washed for a long time. On the Portugués there were several albergues that did not have blankets. As I wasn't prepared for that (assuming they would be the same as on the CF), I just slept in all my clothes.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I leave SJPdP on 12 April and have a very light sleeping bag because that’s what I was told to bring. However, I’m starting to doubt myself.
Thanks, Jim
This is almost exactly the same timing for when I did my camino last year. I was often cold at night, even though I had a sleeping bag. Yes, many places had blankets -- but many places didn't (although I see in the thread above that perhaps I should have asked for them.) I often slept with my sleeping bag *and* the provided blanket.

I agree with anathema, walked the CF April 25-June 3 and was happy to have a light sleeping bag. I also used a silk liner to put on the mattress and it had a pillow pocket to keep me away from the well used pillows.. I never found the need to ask for a blanket with I think don't get cleaned very often.. I'm returning to walk the CF again at the same time this year and will be using liner and sleeping bag once again...

Thanks, Jim

Hi Jim!! I will be walking in your footsteps—exactly one year later. Will you write a blog or have an email list? I’d love to have your suggestions and impressions in mind as I prepare for my Camino. Thanks, Tom

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Kate,
We've walked the CF (Sept 15-Oct 15) with just a liner bag. But we also carry very light down jackets (for the evenings), which we slept in a couple of times when it got chilly and the pilgrims were not packed in close enough to generate enough heat (and there was no blankets. Pro tip: ask for blankets; sometimes the alburgues have them, but not right on the beds). Look at Montbell for good, ultralight jackets.

We need to talk about those microfiber liner bags. That stuff is heavy. Most I see are over a pound (20 oz or so). Ridiculously heavy. That is the weight of 20-degree backpacking quilt I use for fall in the American mountains.

For less than the weight of a microfleece lince, I can carry a silk liner bag (4oz, Cocoon expedition) AND a down backpacking quilt (50 degree (more than enough) 12 oz, Enlightened Equipment), that is a far more flexible system (covering a greater range of possible temperatures--it was hot in Sept. 2016). Personally, I think the backpacking quilt would be overkill for Sept (it was necessary in the end of October on the CP) and would just go with the down jacket, but the point is you could do that and still save a quarter pound off the microfiber fleece.

Buen Camino,
Jo Jo
Thanks very much Jo Jo

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.