• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

To soak or not to soak.......

Paintboy2

Time of past OR future Camino
On my first Camino (CP) I saw many "lavendaria" that I think use to be community laundry facilities. I never saw anyone using them. Would it be improper to soak ones feet in that cool water? I would not want to give offense to our host country.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
On my first Camino (CP) I saw many "lavendaria" that I think use to be community laundry facilities. I never saw anyone using them. Would it be improper to soak ones feet in that cool water? I would not want to give offense to our host country.

Nobody will take offense, but I strongly recommend NOT doing this if if you still have kilometers to walk that day. Soaked feet = feet more prone to get blisters.

Buen Camino, SY

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
When you are taking a break you can better take your shoes off and the insoles out.
You can do the soaking when you finish your day's walk .
Wish you well,Peter.

When I walked the St Olav's Way in Norway, I loved to soak my feet in the cold springs on the top of the mountains. It was like starting a new day.

When walking the Camino del Norte, I made it a couple of times, once in an "old school laundry". I never had a blister. Soak your feet and let them dry.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Some of the lavanderia's are still used, typically by "more mature" ladies of the surrounding village or hamlet who do not have washing machines. Back in the day, it was the local gathering spot. I suppose the men repaired to their 'local' and the women to the washing spot. I am not being judgmental, just historical.

You can usually tell the still-operating lavanderias by the overall condition, whether the paint / plaster is reasonably fresh, and whether the place is overgrown by weeds. I would NEVER drink this water, as it is typically, but not always surface water. But, I have used it for soaking my Buff, sun hat, and feet from time-to-time.

When I walked from Lisbon this April- May, I saw quite a few that were clearly in good repair and likely still being used.

I hope this helps.

While walking the CF, I do not remember the name of the town we were in, but once there the albergue had a pump style well in the court yard. I had never pumped well water before and did so and enjoyed a great huge bucket of ice cold water on my feet for about an hour or so. The water was so cold we also soaked our beers as well.
Does this sound familiar to anyone?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You're spot on there, as I once found to my cost after soaking my feet in the spring at San Bol (despite its myths) and getting a blister just before Castrojeriz.
What are these myths?

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back