• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

TO St. Jean Pied de Port Ireland. Belfast or Dublin.

joe french

Time of past OR future Camino
from st jean, the complete st james's walk. 5 to 6 weeks
Hello,

For any previous Camino Irish Travellers, What's is my cheapest route to St Jean Pied de Port from Ireland, (Belfast , where i'm from, or Dublin airport) starting this July 3/4th .

Can you recommend any nice Irish Type eating places or Alberque i should check out ? ... (i mean homely, plain, and simple. no frillies.)

anyone going near or at the same time maybe we could share expenses from the airport to SJPdP in a taxi ?

Thank you.

Joef

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello,

For any previous Camino Irish Travellers, What's is my cheapest route to St Jean Pied de Port from Ireland, (Belfast , where i'm from, or Dublin airport) starting this July 3/4th .

Can you recommend any nice Irish Type eating places or Alberque i should check out ? ... (i mean homely, plain, and simple. no frillies.)

anyone going near or at the same time maybe we could share expenses from the airport to SJPdP in a taxi ?

Thank you.

Joef

Hi Joe,
I believe Dublin to Biarritz, Ryanair, to be the best route. Then you can either share a taxi with others to SJPP or get the bus to Bayonne and then train to SJPP.....that's the way I went and it as pretty straightforward.
Theres a nice albergue opposite the pilgrims office in SJPP, used to be Le Esprit de Chemin but its a different name now, Beilari. Reserve if you can because it will be busy then.
Good luck and Buen Camino
Aidan

Take also a look at Easyjet flights from Belfast to Bordeaux.

From downtown Bordeaux, you can continue to SJPP by train changing trains in Bayonne (take a look at www.sncf.com for info about schedules and fares).

Compare both options (Ryanair to Biarritz out of Dublin and Easyjet to Bordeaux out of Belfast) as well as any other option you may know/discover/be suggested and see what's cheaper overall on your travel date.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Joe,
I believe Dublin to Biarritz, Ryanair, to be the best route. Then you can either share a taxi with others to SJPP or get the bus to Bayonne and then train to SJPP.....that's the way I went and it as pretty straightforward.
Theres a nice albergue opposite the pilgrims office in SJPP, used to be Le Esprit de Chemin but its a different name now, Beilari. Reserve if you can because it will be busy then.
Good luck and Buen Camino
Aidan

Cheers Aidan for the help, i'm a bit apprehensive about my trip, but here goes !!!! thank you for taken the time and getting back to me.

Take also a look at Easyjet flights from Belfast to Bordeaux.

From downtown Bordeaux, you can continue to SJPP by train changing trains in Bayonne (take a look at www.sncf.com for info about schedules and fares).

Compare both options (Ryanair to Biarritz out of Dublin and Easyjet to Bordeaux out of Belfast) as well as any other option you may know/discover/be suggested and see what's cheaper overall on your travel date.

Thanks very much....Joef

Most of the 'peregrino' menus are simple fare. Plenty of grilled meat, chips, salad & pasta. there's usually a limited choice on each menu at around €10 per head. In the larger towns and cities there's usually a wider choice of restaurants and cafes. I defy you not to find something you like. Many of the albergues have cooking facilities so you can buy food from the local supermarkets and cook yourself.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Most of the 'peregrino' menus are simple fare. Plenty of grilled meat, chips, salad & pasta. there's usually a limited choice on each menu at around €10 per head. In the larger towns and cities there's usually a wider choice of restaurants and cafes. I defy you not to find something you like. Many of the albergues have cooking facilities so you can buy food from the local supermarkets and cook yourself.

Excellent i didn't know that some of the Albergues had cooking Facilities, i'll enjoy cooking something for myself and others. Cheers for the help .

Hello,

Thank you.

Joef

Joe.

It takes over 4.5 hours on a train, 5 hours on bus, 2.5 to drive, to Biarritz from Bordeux then another 15 mins to Bayonne le gare.

I think you are better Dublin airport Ryanair to Biarritz any money saved on flights will be added by getting to Bayonne from Bordeux. Dublin is just over an hour from Belfast less hassel.

Buen Camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@NualaOC be aware Easyjet's flights from Belfast to Bordeaux are seasonal. In other words, depending on your travel date they may be unavailable. But I think Ryanair flights from Dublin to Bordeaux are seasonal too...

It takes over 4.5 hours on a train, 5 hours on bus, 2.5 to drive, to Biarritz from Bordeux then another 15 mins to Bayonne le gare.

Train from downtown Bordeaux to Bayonne is just roughly 1h. 40m. (the high speed TGV) and roughly 2h. 00m. the TER (Regional). That's way less than the 4h. 30m. you quote.

The drive from Bordeaux to Bayonne is roughly 25kms longer than the drive from Belfast to Dublin and it's made on a motorway so if the one from Belfast to Dublin is just over an hour (as you say on the quote below), the one from Bordeaux to Bayonne would be just over just over an hour.

I think you are better Dublin airport Ryanair to Biarritz any money saved on flights will be added by getting to Bayonne from Bordeux. Dublin is just over an hour from Belfast less hassel.

A train from downtown Bordeaux to Bayonne booked well in advance is roughly 7 Euros more expensive than a train from Belfast to downtown Dublin booked well in advance. Coach transfer from Bordeaux airport to downtown Bordeaux is 1.20 Euros more expensive than coach transfer from downtown Dublin to the airport. Therefore the price difference between both options (flight Belfast-Bordeaux vs. flight Dublin Biarritz) wouldn't be so much that of the overland transport but that of the flight fare difference for the specific travel date of your interest. BTW, a train from Belfast to Dublin is roughly 2h. 10m or 2h. 15m (i.e.: more than a train from Bordeaux to Bayonne).

Last edited by a moderator:
My god that's impressive fact finding "wow" I stand admonished used goggle facts sorry! into the corner with dunces hat for me :'(

Joe.

Buen Camino.

Thanks Mick.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks Mick.
Joe.

A bus goes from glengal street for ten euro drops you off at departures at Dublin airport. I am going in August at Biarritz airport a 14 bus takes you to Bayonne station then on to sjpp.

@NualaOC be aware Easyjet's flights from Belfast to Bordeaux are seasonal. In other words, depending on your travel date they may be unavailable. But I think Ryanair flights from Dublin to Bordeaux are seasonal too...

Train from downtown Bordeaux to Bayonne is just roughly 1h. 40m. (the high speed TGV) and roughly 2h. 00m. the TER (Regional). That's way less than the 4h. 30m. you quote.

The drive from Bordeaux to Bayonne is roughly 25kms longer than the drive from Belfast to Dublin and it's made on a motorway so if the one from Belfast to Dublin is just over an hour (as you say on the quote below), the one from Bordeaux to Bayonne would be just over just over an hour.

A train from downtown Bordeaux to Bayonne booked well in advance is roughly 7 Euros more expensive than a train from Belfast to downtown Dublin booked well in advance. Coach transfer from Bordeaux airport to downtown Bordeaux is 1.20 Euros more expensive than coach transfer from downtown Dublin to the airport. Therefore the price difference between both options (flight Belfast-Bordeaux vs. flight Dublin Biarritz) wouldn't be so much that of the overland transport but that of the flight fare difference for the specific travel date of your interest. BTW, a train from Belfast to Dublin is roughly 2h. 10m or 2h. 15m (i.e.: more than a train from Bordeaux to Bayonne).

Thank you , .... both of you !!!! All help, (believe me) is greatly Appreciated... i plan to leave sunday the 3rd of July and to start the 4th of July from SJPDP. i'm approaching my walk with an open mind and i'm expecting wee up & downs in my plans. CHEERS.

Hi Joe it's a no brainer, the bus or car to Dublin Ryanair to Biarritz, we have done it twice and never had a problem and we are doing it again next year same way. Its a bit messy on the other side via Bordeaux and should be more expensive overall. If you have any other questions we live in the same place as yourself drop me a private message and if we can help we will

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Considering the CF late Sept/early Oct.. would be handy flying from Belfast but after reading these posts It seems Dublin = Biarritz is less grief on arrival in France... all help v welcome!

Dublin everytime at Biarritz out the door turn left 14 bus to Bayonne station 1 euro then onto sjpp.

Buen Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Ooops looks like two flights or bus to Madrid or Bilbao maybe ?

Ooops looks like two flights or bus to Madrid or Bilbao maybe ?
Yeah Mick been looking at those... overnight to Bilbao seems best bet - long haul bus trip and more expensive than both flights combined lol

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You might be able to fly to Madrid and then Dublin or else through U.K. then onto Belfast.

You might be able to fly to Madrid and then Dublin or else through U.K. then onto Belfast.
Good call, much cheaper to fly to Madrid then to Dublin... considering leaving on Sat 28th Sept, returning 2nd Nov to get direct and cheaper flights - is 34 walking days a realistic target to complete?

Yes take it easy at you own pace take compeed plasters and at first sign of blisters use, do not pull off , they come off on there own time.
I have walked at that time of year can be hot or cold take your choice ,
Use relaxed comfortable footwear.
I always used keens sandles even when wet lots of toe room found out the hard way lost five toenails and skin from both heels on first Camino it was August hike.
With that happy note I leave you.
I am on holidays in Biarritz going to sjpp for day out.

Buen Camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Yes take it easy at you own pace take compeed plasters and at first sign of blisters use, do not pull off , they come off on there own time.
I have walked at that time of year can be hot or cold take your choice ,
Use relaxed comfortable footwear.
I always used keens sandles even when wet lots of toe room found out the hard way lost five toenails and skin from both heels on first Camino it was August hike.
With that happy note I leave you.
I am on holidays in Biarritz going to sjpp for day out.

Buen Camino.
thnx and enjoy your break

Considering the CF late Sept/early Oct.. would be handy flying from Belfast but after reading these posts It seems Dublin = Biarritz is less grief on arrival in France... all help v welcome!

Hi @Sinco, Dublin to Biarritz is probably your best option. It's also a fun start to your Camino as you'll meet other pilgrims at the airport.

last direct flight back from SDC to Dublin is Nov 2!
During the high season, there are a few options for the journey from Santiago to Belfast (including via Gatwick or Barcelona). However, I don't think these are possible after 31st October. I've taken the train from Santiago to Madrid and then a flight to Dublin. It's a long, but quite relaxing day of travel.

Happy planning and Buen Camino!

Just quick note got 14 bus from Biarritz which passes through airport it didnt go directly to Bayonne le Gare took us ten mins walk to station nearly missed train.
Make sure you get bus to station Le Gare Bayonne from airport , .does anyone know of changes ? Lots of upgrades to Bayonne le gare looks great.
On train now.

Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Just quick note got 14 bus from Biarritz which passes through airport it didnt go directly to Bayonne le Gare took us ten mins walk to station nearly missed train.
Make sure you get bus to station Le Gare Bayonne from airport , .does anyone know of changes ? Lots of upgrades to Bayonne le gare looks great.
On train now.

Buen Camino
Mike - how long is the train ride and cost to SJPP? Also how long was the bus ride from the airport? Just found out express van service is full from the airport, I can wait 1.5 hrs for the next express bus or go the bus& train option- trying to decide what will get there sooner

Bus ride to Bayonne about 20 mins, make sure to ask bus driver for directions to Bayonne Le Gare if it stops short of station. Train about 1 hour to SJPP from Bayonne cost about 11 euro single ?

Last edited:
Bus ride to Bayonne about 20 mins, make sure to ask bus driver for directions to Bayonne Le Gare if it stops short of station. Train about 1 hour to SJPP from Bayonne cost about 11 euro single ?
Thank you so much! May I ask - did you have a train ticket already? Necessary? Are the trains frequent? (Can you tell it’s my first time!)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If you are flying on a Wed from Dublin it gets in around 10.40 passport control is slow so if you get bus to bayonne you should arrive in bayonne about 11.30 train leaves 11.55 get ticket in station so you should make it.

Good luck whichever you choose .

You can book online I use Trainline.
11:59 AM BAYONNE
12:54 PM ST JEAN PIED DE P
0h 55m | Direct | TER
FROM $13
02:52 PM BAYONNE
03:50 PM ST JEAN PIED DE P
0h 58m | Direct | TER
FROM $13
06:30 PM BAYONNE
07:36 PM ST JEAN PIED DE P
1h 06m | Direct | TER

Get the Trainline app. Buy your ticket on the bus to the station. (On your phone, obviously) Then you show the bar code on your phone to the ticket inspector.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
considering leaving on Sat 28th Sept, returning 2nd Nov to get direct and cheaper flights - is 34 walking days a realistic target to complete?
I'm departing on same day, arriving into Biarritz around 3pm. Staying at Beilari and starting walk on 29th. Based on last year's experience it took me 5 weeks (including rest day's) to walk St Jean to Santiago and further 4 days to walk to Finisterre. I booked my return flight a few days before end of my walk, it cost a little more than booking return (£50 from Santiago airport to Dublin) but it was worth it if you have the luxury of walking without a set time-frame. Depending on fitness level and avoiding injury I expect 29 days walking 500 miles and 4 days to Faro so 34 days enough time to Santiago although may struggle to walk to end of the world 🤠

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back