• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

To take a sleeping bag or not?

Leandra.Scott

I'm beginning my Camino Sept 3 this year. I would just like to take my 32ltr Deuter backpack & wondering if I really need to take a sleeping bag. I have a liner & I'd just prefer to take that. I'm 58kgs & concerned about carrying too much & also the price if the lightweight sleeping bags, I've heard is very expensive. Thoughts anyone??

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Don't know how cold it gets at night doing the Camino in September, but none of the albergues I stayed in during July and August got so cold at night where a sleeping bag (yeah, the lightweight ones can be expensive) would be an absolute necessity. I would say the liner would work fine. You definitely want to bring if you can a lightweight fleece jacket and if it does get too cold some nights, wear it to bed. Also a lot of the albergues have blankets you can use.
Buen Camino.

I'm beginning my Camino Sept 3 this year. I would just like to take my 32ltr Deuter backpack & wondering if I really need to take a sleeping bag. I have a liner & I'd just prefer to take that. I'm 58kgs & concerned about carrying too much & also the price if the lightweight sleeping bags, I've heard is very expensive. Thoughts anyone??

You need your own bedding. A lot of albergues have blankets and a lot don't. For most of us the solution is a sleeping bag. A down comforter or a Ranger blanket might be a cheaper and perhaps even a lighter solution.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I took, and needed, a sleeping bag and my summer version weighing about 700 g was perfectly adequate.

I would also say bring a bag. My bag is a lightweight down filled bag and weighs about 700g, it cost me €60.00 on sale. You have some time yet to look around.
Buen Camino.

I was wondering the same thing … also going Sept …..feel inclined to leave it behind… I will be taking thermal underwear just in case so I figure that would be enough… I am planning to use private and albergues…. I would rather go light … maybe can buy one along the way if find I need it ..

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Honestly, no one knows how warm you like to sleep, so personalized advice on taking a sleeping bag is nearly impossible. I never take one in September. Only rarely have I wanted a blanket during that time of year. Wearing clothes to bed is always an option if you want more warmth, or using your poncho as a blanket.

I froze in the albergue last night just before Portomarin and there was snow coming down from O Cebreiro a couple of days ago. I have a silk and fleece liner but so regret not bringing my lightweight sleeping bag.
And that was me sleeping in clothes and with my poncho on top!
It ruins sleep which in turn affects the walking the next day. Bear in mind!

Katy

Your question is very hard to answer - it clearly is "to each his own". Your 32 ltr backpack is even smaller than mine (36.5 ltr) - it was a tight squeeze to get in all my stuff along with my small Marmot sleeping bag, but I like to sleep warm and it was worth the hassle.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi - I started Sept. 5 last year, and although had great weather for most of the trip, was glad on several nights I had a lightweight down mummy bag loaned by a friend. Several nights I kicked it off, though. I also took a very lightweight "sheet" as I sweat in a nylon bag, and that worked great. Next time I will take that and am planning on cutting my lightweight non mummy down bag in half and making it into basically a quilt. I don't need a down bag underneath me, so will just take some kind of sheet thing again to sleep on and pull over me and the quilt. I'll let you know in two or three years time how it worked!

I would say take a light sleeping bag , a 800 grms or similar you might need it if the weather is could at night !
Buen Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I would recommend a lightweight sleeping bag and a liner. I have experienced snow in mid-October (and also May last year) and very cold nights in October. At the beginning of September the liner was sufficient, but by October I definitely needed the sleeping bag. My bag is 600 gms, and I also always use a silk liner with the bag both for hygiene and bedbug protection. The liner, being silk is VERY light. I used a 34 litre backpack the first and second Caminos and a 24 litre pack on my last Camino. The sleeping bag easily fitted in the 34 litre bag, but everything was a tight squeeze for the 24 litre pack

I start in Leon in 4 days (leaving states in 2) and was planning just to bring my liner. But O My -- snow at O'Cebreiro! I may need to rethink and repack and add my lightweight sleeping bag.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
There is no snow showing on the ground on the webcam at O Cebreiro. Don't worry about snow in June!

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.