• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

To the Breast Cancer Survivors...

Aloha From Kauai

A Lifetime of Journeys
Time of past OR future Camino
April 3rd - June 3rd, 2022
Aloha Kakahiaka (Good Morning in Hawaiian)

I would like to open a discussion that I'm sure has been discussed before at some point, but I would love to hear from any woman or man who has had breast cancer treatment in the form of surgery or radiation, and how you have or will deal with wearing your pack. Any concerns, tips, or experiences would be lovely.

I was diagnosed with a rare, triple-negative, aggressive inflammatory cancer many years ago (I was 38 at the time). In nosing around my chart one day when my Onc was doing something, I ran across his handwritten note on the corner of one of my labs that said "Less than 30% chance of survival." Well, statistics might have indicated that based on my roster, but my Camino will be in my 22nd-year since those odds were given. In those 22 years, I've seen all four of my kids get married, and get to love on 7 grandchildren. I've sat by my mom and watched her fade away after I made the final call on pulling her life support (cancer-related), and I was blessed to move to an island which I've spent the last decade-plus. Life is precious.

Walking the Camino has been the primary entry on my bucket list forever and on April 3rd as I've noted in the past, I'll board a TAP flight for my epic adventure. One of the things that worries me some is wearing the pack and what it will do to my shoulders and neck. I have given myself permission, though loath to do so, as a last resort, to forward my pack, but...I'm a bit stubborn :) and really want to experience it all. I thought what better place to explore this than here with you all! I've had a mastectomy (cancer/left side) and a prophylactic mastectomy on the right side (there was some indication that there might be a cause for concern in the future). I also had 8-weeks of radiation on the left, followed by TRAM reconstructive surgery. All only to say, the skin on my left side and the center of my chest is very thin and I have no feeling, which means I can injure myself on the surface and not be aware of it. My muscles under the skin have also obviously been compromised.

So, I know I am not the only person who has dealt with breast cancer leftovers and has/will walk the Camino, so I'm a sponge awaiting any great tip you might have in how to position the pack, pad the pack straps (I'm bringing some soft wool just in case), things I should avoid, etc. The pack I have settled on specifically relating to this situation is a Six Moon Minimalist (I found it quite by accident) with a "vest harness." https://www.sixmoondesigns.com/products/minimalist-v2-utralight-backpack?variant=39362101149738

With much gratitude!

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Hi there! I was diagnose with breast cancer early 2020 and had my double mastectomy in April 2020.
Your post gives me a LOT of hope as my cancer was also a very aggressive type and 22 years makes me VERY happy!

I honestly don't feel I have any issues wearing my pack. I have two and haven't decided yet which I'll take this year. I have a 28L Jade and a 32L Arcteryx Brize. One thing I find is that I can wear a small man's pack now, due to the absence of breasts, which gives me more of a choice.

As far as shoulders/neck, I have been on KETO for about half a year and recently discovered that Keto is one of the reasons for my poor muscle quality - though it's possible to build muscle with Keto, it requires more planning than I want to wrap my brain around. So I'm switching over to a Paleo styled diet and doing light free weights to try to build more muscle.

My biggest struggle since breast cancer is my lack of stamina. I get winded easily - and it will be interesting to see how I do on the 8k going up to Orisson. I plan on walking shorter stages and taking bus/taxi if I need to without guilt.

Unlike you, most of my feeling has returned. I have done a LOT of stretching and massage and so that isn't an issue for me. I can see why you might be concerned.

I guess this post just really hasn't been helpful to you except to let you know you're in friendly company and I wish you the best Camino ever!

Annie

Buen Camino!! I'm not a survivor but a family member of one. Just make sure you try it out first on some test hikes, even around the house, well before you go so if you have to go with another option you can make that choice with enough time. FWIW I used a baggage transfer service with my Camino this year because I hadn't had enough time to train after having Covid (I'm all good now). I would not hesitate to use one again.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Aloha Annie,

I loved your post! I still wind easily; and the Pyrenees strikes excitement and fear, lol. I know our lungs take a hit too. I had some heart damage from the chemo but that thankfully has repaired itself.

What Camino will you be on and when? I see you did Lourdes? I really thought about starting there, but my desire to spend some time at Montserrat Monastery doing some soul-searching won, so I'll go there for three nights before starting.

Safe Travels!

Buen Camino!! I'm not a survivor but a family member of one. Just make sure you try it out first on some test hikes, even around the house, well before you go so if you have to go with another option you can make that choice with enough time. FWIW I used a baggage transfer service with my Camino this year because I hadn't had enough time to train after having Covid (I'm all good now). I would not hesitate to use one again.
Thank you Bill for your encouragement! And, for encouragement to do the luggage transfer if I need it. I hope you are fully recovered and I am thankful you are here with us to share your story! Stay well!

I am glad to read your story with its good outcome so many years later. Been there, done that! I had breast cancer 17 years ago. Quite a few forum members have been through this and other major medical experiences, as well. (But let's avoid too much in the way of medical opinions and discussions here.)

Your questions about wearing backpacks are very relevant. Since I didn't have radiation or reconstruction, this has not been an issue for me. In fact, there is something to be said for having a prosthesis as padding and protection, or for getting rid of the protuberances entirely!

Have you tested the Six Moons pack that you linked to? Backpacks and bodies are all different and the only way to find out what will be best for you is to try them out. Sometimes a quick test in the store will eliminate one, but really a longer (loaded) walk is necessary. If you are not accustomed to wearing any backpack at all, that will make it more difficult to assess. Are you able to get to a good equipment store with a selection to try out? I wouldn't automatically assume that a "minimalist" model is the best. What is more important is how the pack fits on your body, including the hip belt, so the weight is carried on the hips.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am so glad to read your with its good outcome so many years later. Been there, done that! I had breast cancer 17 years ago. Quite a few forum members have been through this and other major medical experiences, as well. (But let's avoid too much in the way of medical opinions and discussions here.)

Your questions about wearing backpacks are very relevant. Since I didn't have radiation or reconstruction, this has not been an issue for me. In fact, there is something to be said for having a prosthesis as padding and protection, or for getting rid of the protuberances entirely!

Have you tested the Six Moons pack that you linked to? Backpacks and bodies are all different and the only way to find out what will be best for you is to try them out. Sometimes a quick test in the store will eliminate one, but really a longer (loaded) walk is necessary. If you are not accustomed to wearing any backpack at all, that will make it more difficult to assess. Are you able to get to a good equipment store with a selection to try out? I wouldn't automatically assume that a "minimalist" model is the best. What is more important is how the pack fits on your body, including the hip belt, so the weight is carried on the hips.
Thank you C clearly; fortunately or unfortunately, in this case, I live on Kauai (island) and we have nothing so I have to order everything. This is my third pack, the first two I discarded because of how the shoulder straps hit me. I didn't order the Six Moon because it was a minimalist, but because of the "vest" style harness, it has instead of just straps. I liked the idea in concept that it spreads the contact with my body over a broader area, it also has side latch points to it distributes the weight differently rather than just on my shoulders. Yes, the hip belt seems pretty comfortable as well. I will start by just wearing it around the house unloaded for a few days then begin to add some weight to it. You are astute to question whether I have ever worn a pack and while I haul a very heavy work backpack with all of my computer, books, and other misc., but never a pack of this sort or certainly for this long. Thanks again for your thoughtful post! Congratulations on your survivorship as well!

This is definitely a thread where "the tie that binds" is so apropo. It is so encouraging to read of your positive outcome and I hope other survivors post their opinion on your question. You are an inspiration and give hope to those who have more recently gone through your trials, and to those of us who one day may be looking through the same glass mirror.

This is definitely a thread where "the tie that binds" is so apropo. It is so encouraging to read of your positive outcome and I hope other survivors post their opinion on your question. You are an inspiration and give hope to those who have more recently gone through your trials, and to those of us who one day may be looking through the same glass mirror.
May you never have to go through it Camino Chrissy, but we are a resilient species and things are so, so much better than they were in my mother's or grandmother's time. It is not an automatic death sentence anymore and while for a moment, or maybe a lifetime you'll have to adjust how you walk through life, in the end, it is just another chapter in our story. Challenge is a great opportunity for humbleness and gratitude mixed with a little sass and feistiness. Stay well and vibrant!

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Aloha Annie,

I loved your post! I still wind easily; and the Pyrenees strikes excitement and fear, lol. I know our lungs take a hit too. I had some heart damage from the chemo but that thankfully has repaired itself.

What Camino will you be on and when? I see you did Lourdes? I really thought about starting there, but my desire to spend some time at Montserrat Monastery doing some soul-searching won, so I'll go there for three nights before starting.

Safe Travels!
I do the Camino Frances every year. I take groups but like to walk a few weeks on my own before picking up the group. Our plan for 2022 is to go to Manresa for Holy Week, then go to Montserrat and hope to walk to Zaragoza from there, then bus to Pamplona by April 28. We will most likely have to bus/taxi a couple of those longer stages. Then will be in SJPP on May 1 with my first group and start walking. Maybe I'll see you at Montserrat!

Aloha Annie,

Safe Travels!
Joe and I walked from Lourdes a few years back. It was a spectacular route! Would love to do it again some day.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

I would like to open a discussion that I'm sure has been discussed before at some point, but I would love to hear from any woman or man who has had breast cancer treatment in the form of surgery or radiation, and how you have or will deal with wearing your pack. Any concerns, tips, or experiences would be lovely.

I was diagnosed with a rare, triple-negative, aggressive inflammatory cancer many years ago (I was 38 at the time). In nosing around my chart one day when my Onc was doing something, I ran across his handwritten note on the corner of one of my labs that said "Less than 30% chance of survival." Well, statistics might have indicated that based on my roster, but my Camino will be in my 22nd-year since those odds were given. In those 22 years, I've seen all four of my kids get married, and get to love on 7 grandchildren. I've sat by my mom and watched her fade away after I made the final call on pulling her life support (cancer-related), and I was blessed to move to an island which I've spent the last decade-plus. Life is precious.

Walking the Camino has been the primary entry on my bucket list forever and on April 3rd as I've noted in the past, I'll board a TAP flight for my epic adventure. One of the things that worries me some is wearing the pack and what it will do to my shoulders and neck. I have given myself permission, though loath to do so, as a last resort, to forward my pack, but...I'm a bit stubborn :) and really want to experience it all. I thought what better place to explore this than here with you all! I've had a mastectomy (cancer/left side) and a prophylactic mastectomy on the right side (there was some indication that there might be a cause for concern in the future). I also had 8-weeks of radiation on the left, followed by TRAM reconstructive surgery. All only to say, the skin on my left side and the center of my chest is very thin and I have no feeling, which means I can injure myself on the surface and not be aware of it. My muscles under the skin have also obviously been compromised.

So, I know I am not the only person who has dealt with breast cancer leftovers and has/will walk the Camino, so I'm a sponge awaiting any great tip you might have in how to position the pack, pad the pack straps (I'm bringing some soft wool just in case), things I should avoid, etc. The pack I have settled on specifically relating to this situation is a Six Moon Minimalist (I found it quite by accident) with a "vest harness." https://www.sixmoondesigns.com/products/minimalist-v2-utralight-backpack?variant=39362101149738

With much gratitude!
I was diagnosed in September 2013 and had a lumpectomy of the left breast, followed by chemotherapy and radiation. I have walked the Camino Frances twice, once with my daughter and a friend, the second time solo. The first walk, I was still on a daily oral therapy, Arimidex. I have used Osprey women's packs for many backcountry camping trips and for both Caminos. The design of the Osprey packs takes into account a woman's anatomy - the chest strap is higher, the pack itself is a bit more compact on the body, the hip belt is better. I love the fit and do not wear any other brand of pack. I used a 36L and it was pretty full (I do like a few of my creature comforts), but it was comfortable and I will used it again for another Camino in the future. Best wishes on your trip and congratulations!

I am currently walking with a survivor who works for REI, and very experienced backpacker. Her comment was to recommend lots of training hikes with the pack fully loaded, to see what it will do to your chest. And as well, be willing to consider transporting some of your gear via Correos or Jacobtrans, to protect your chest wall if needed. Emphasis on lots of walking with loaded pack. Best wishes and congratulations on your survival!

Thank you for sharing your personal journey with cancer. I was moved as I read it. My Mom is a breast cancer survivor. She turned 94 this year. You will be an inspiration to those you meet on your Camino. May God bless you as you prepare for and embrace your Camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am also a survivor....16 years. Left side three surgeries and chemo and radiation. Yay....I have walked 2 caminos and am starting to plan the third. I am getting long in the tooth so am hoping 22' is not my last but will see. I use an Osprey Aura and like it a lot and am thinking about a smaller pack.
As I didn't have a mastectomy not sure if I can relate but know the numbness can last so many years....I still have some.
You are going to do really well I think. I planned and fretted a lot before my first camino in 2016. I will probably plan and fret as will before this one. Just my nature. The planning is part of the fun and the memories are forever.

As a bloke, I come from a state of near complete ignorance of your issues...

However - have you thought of a hiking trolley? (see https://www.afotc.org/pilgrim-resources/hiking-trailers-on-the-camino-the-pros-cons/ for some discussion) - the ones I have seen attach to a waist belt, avoiding any issues with shoulders/chest...

I wish you well, whichever way you do your Camino...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
As a bloke, I come from a state of near complete ignorance of your issues...

However - have you thought of a hiking trolley? (see https://www.afotc.org/pilgrim-resources/hiking-trailers-on-the-camino-the-pros-cons/ for some discussion) - the ones I have seen attach to a waist belt, avoiding any issues with shoulders/chest...

I wish you well, whichever way you do your Camino...
:) I have actually, but also forgot I had, lol. I've seen some folks on YouTube who do a lot of filming use one and have been curious about them. I wonder how one navigates assents and decent without landing on one's bum :)

Thanks for the great reminder! In some cases...ignorance is bliss! Stay well

I was diagnosed in September 2013 and had a lumpectomy of the left breast, followed by chemotherapy and radiation. I have walked the Camino Frances twice, once with my daughter and a friend, the second time solo. The first walk, I was still on a daily oral therapy, Arimidex. I have used Osprey women's packs for many backcountry camping trips and for both Caminos. The design of the Osprey packs takes into account a woman's anatomy - the chest strap is higher, the pack itself is a bit more compact on the body, the hip belt is better. I love the fit and do not wear any other brand of pack. I used a 36L and it was pretty full (I do like a few of my creature comforts), but it was comfortable and I will used it again for another Camino in the future. Best wishes on your trip and congratulations!
I have not ruled out an Osprey totally but did find them a little claustrophobic. I have about six month left to test options out. Thanks for letting me know what worked for you; I'll have to rethink this again.
I am currently walking with a survivor who works for REI, and very experienced backpacker. Her comment was to recommend lots of training hikes with the pack fully loaded, to see what it will do to your chest. And as well, be willing to consider transporting some of your gear via Correos or Jacobtrans, to protect your chest wall if needed. Emphasis on lots of walking with loaded pack. Best wishes and congratulations on your survival!
All excellent advice. I do wish we had an REI!!!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thank you for sharing your personal journey with cancer. I was moved as I read it. My Mom is a breast cancer survivor. She turned 94 this year. You will be an inspiration to those you meet on your Camino. May God bless you as you prepare for and embrace your Camino.
Mahalo Nui Loa Jeff, and bless your mom. You don't get to be 94 without a good level of tenacity! Tell her Aloha from Kauai!

I am also a survivor....16 years. Left side three surgeries and chemo and radiation. Yay....I have walked 2 caminos and am starting to plan the third. I am getting long in the tooth so am hoping 22' is not my last but will see. I use an Osprey Aura and like it a lot and am thinking about a smaller pack.
As I didn't have a mastectomy not sure if I can relate but know the numbness can last so many years....I still have some.
You are going to do really well I think. I planned and fretted a lot before my first camino in 2016. I will probably plan and fret as will before this one. Just my nature. The planning is part of the fun and the memories are forever.
A fellow planner and fretter!!! My husband is always on me about how much I worry about, well, everything, lol!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
So, I know I am not the only person who has dealt with breast cancer leftovers and has/will walk the Camino
Nope. There are many of us. 😊
If your pack fits generally, you should do just fine.

I've never had problems on the camino with pack straps - like others, I have an Osprey pack, and the straps don't cause any discomfort, or exacerbate any numbness left from the surgery.
(Actually, I don't even think of it much anymore, even when I dress in the morning. Nor do I see myself as a 'survivor' because it creates far too much identity of something 10 years in the rear view mirror. It happened but it's not 'me.')

I do wish we had an REI!!!
Amen from this Hilo girl. I'd be worth a trip to Honolulu for that. But alas...

Nope. There are many of us. 😊
If your pack fits generally, you should do just fine.

I've never had problems on the camino with pack straps - like others, I have an Osprey pack, and the straps don't cause any discomfort, or exacerbate any numbness left from the surgery.
(Actually, I don't even think of it much anymore, even when I dress in the morning. Nor do I see myself as a 'survivor' because it creates far too much identity of something 10 years in the rear view mirror. It happened but it's not 'me.')
The only thing that gives me a hiccup about the word survivor, is the many that did not. I'm fine with it being an element of who I am, I joke that I look like the patchwork bunny, which I am also fine with. We all have our marks, inside or out, that I kind of think of pins in a map :)

Thanks for posting!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
May you never have to go through it Camino Chrissy, but we are a resilient species and things are so, so much better than they were in my mother's or grandmother's time. It is not an automatic death sentence anymore and while for a moment, or maybe a lifetime you'll have to adjust how you walk through life, in the end, it is just another chapter in our story. Challenge is a great opportunity for humbleness and gratitude mixed with a little sass and feistiness. Stay well and vibrant!
Wow, you go!

Amen!
Especially about the sass and feistiness.
:cool: 🙏

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am also a breast cancer survivor - for the moment since mine has spread to my bones, has been deemed terminal, and the targeted therapy didn't work. I'm currently on oral chemo, 2 weeks on, 1 off, and it is utterly vile because I feel sick and exhausted all of the time. It isn't my front that it the problem with carrying a pack, it's the vertebra which had a biggish lesion and which has been blasted with X-rays.

I've just bought an electric bike, and I'm looking at hiking trailers although they are very expensive.

Thanks for this thread. After having to cancel our 2020 Camino due to COVID and being locked in Oz ever since, I have now been diagnosed with breast cancer. I have just recovered from lumpectomy and just as they are about to let us out of the country, I start chemo. It’s a bummer that I may have to sit out 2022 as well, but I am inspired by the experiences here and confident of a recovery. I have just read a quote which I think works well for both breast cancer survivors and pilgrims: "One day you will tell your story of how you overcame what you went through and it will be someone else's survival guide". And I must add that my new Osprey Talon did come in handy as a go bag during the bushfires…so at least it has had some use 😊

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am also a breast cancer survivor - for the moment since mine has spread to my bones, has been deemed terminal, and the targeted therapy didn't work. I'm currently on oral chemo, 2 weeks on, 1 off, and it is utterly vile because I feel sick and exhausted all of the time. It isn't my front that it the problem with carrying a pack, it's the vertebra which had a biggish lesion and which has been blasted with X-rays.

I've just bought an electric bike, and I'm looking at hiking trailers although they are very expensive.
Dearest Moorwalker,

I woke early to your post and have been lying here for some time with it. Thank you for sharing your place in your journey with us. I remember the God-awful sickness and bone pain from the different chemos I cycled through, and the blisters from radiation, and the utter exhaustion from pretty much everything. Will you be doing your Camino adventure alone or with someone, and when will you start? While I can only truly speak for myself, I would imagine most if not all of us on this thread are here to support you in any way we can. I will send you my phone number and email address in a private message, please do not hesitate to reach out, day or night, if you need a new friend that would listen to anything that you worry is too heavy for friends or family close to you. Sometimes getting through is one minute at a time.

Sending a hug from far away!

Dearest Moorwalker,

I woke early to your post and have been lying here for some time with it. Thank you for sharing your place in your journey with us. I remember the God-awful sickness and bone pain from the different chemos I cycled through, and the blisters from radiation, and the utter exhaustion from pretty much everything. Will you be doing your Camino adventure alone or with someone, and when will you start? While I can only truly speak for myself, I would imagine most if not all of us on this thread are here to support you in any way we can. I will send you my phone number and email address in a private message, please do not hesitate to reach out, day or night, if you need a new friend that would listen to anything that you worry is too heavy for friends or family close to you. Sometimes getting through is one minute at a time.

Sending a hug from far away!
Thanks for the hug. I don't know if walking the distance is going to be possible again. I'd love to do the Ingles but the distances between stops can be quite big and I've never been an enthusiast for trekking huge distances in a day, I'm a slow ambler who likes to look at things along the way.

It's so great that you are staying active while going through all that. I can't imagine it. Maybe you could start a GoFundMe for the hiking trailer?

I'm not suggesting we start the GoFundMe here, as I don't know if it belongs on the forum. But if MoorWalker were to start such a fundraiser, I am betting a lot of people in her community and others would contribute!
Yes.

With much gratitude!
Hello ! I had my both breasts taken and never got new ones. I had my rucsac on my back as usual, no problems. I wish you a buon camino

@Aloha From Kauai has not been on the forum for almost two years, but the topic is one that is still so relevant. I noted with sadness that @Moorwalker has died. A forum friend pointed me to the link announcing her death on the forum. A graphic reminder of how precious and precarious life is. It is both sobering to read these posts and encouraging to see how so many have continued to live life to the fullest after some very serious illnesses.

Update for my BC. I did walk the Portugal route in 22 and started having neck pain....long story short. It was bone mets. All over my bones. I am taking Ibrance and all the other stuff for bone mets. I am walking for 2.5 weeks in April 24' My daughter is going to be a tourist with me for about 1.5 weeks. Then I walk. I will use bag transport a lot and bookings. My doctor gave me the green light. Wish me luck....Pamplona to however far I can go.

Update for my BC. I did walk the Portugal route in 22 and started having neck pain....long story short. It was bone mets. All over my bones. I am taking Ibrance and all the other stuff for bone mets. I am walking for 2.5 weeks in April 24' My daughter is going to be a tourist with me for about 1.5 weeks. Then I walk. I will use bag transport a lot and bookings. My doctor gave me the green light. Wish me luck....Pamplona to however far I can go.
Wishing you the very best of luck! So sorry to hear of the bone mets. You are definitely an inspiration and motivating me to complete the Frances from Burgos in September - despite the back and joint pain from hormone blockers. Yes, shorter stages and baggage transfer may be necessary, but need to get on the path. Hope you keep us posted on your progress :)

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.