• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

To the person who wanted to inspire love . . . you didn't!

Time of past OR future Camino
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
To me, this was horrible!
Love certainly didn't win as a result of their irresponsible actions!

Someone with a can of red spray paint tagged waymarks all the way from Sarria to Santiago.
It was so sad.
Here is one example of their work... others on my blog.
https://caminosantiago2.blogspot.com/2019/09/to-person-who-wanted-to-inspire-love.html

If I were their parent, I'd be ashamed.
If I were their parent, they'd be walking around with a red spray painted face and I'd probably be in jail!

IMG_8452.jpg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
But let's not give this person the very publicity they crave.....

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Even on Via de Bayona which is much less walked route than CF or even Sarria-SdC stretch I constantly saw "XY was here" all along the route on the markers.
I'm glad I missed those.
And there were none on the Invierno either.
Greater numbers inevitably bring a few people who...well, you know...

I'm glad I missed those.
And there were none on the Invierno either.
Greater numbers inevitably bring a few people who...well, you know...
Well, it was in 2016 and the name was Ewan. Maybe they repaint or scrub it off???
I remember it was even on the walls of bus stands in villages...
He used the marker not the paint though which doesn't change a thing. And I love good murals or graffiti!!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Well, it was in 2016 and the name was Ewan. Maybe they repaint or scrub it off???
Must have, or maybe I just didn't notice - although that's exactly the sort of thing that would jump out and annoy me day after day. None of the yellow and blue posts were besmirched by graffiti, nor the waymarkers below the Tunel San Adrian.

Ha,ha...it would not be so hard for any amigos living around there to go back through the Albergue registers to find out who Ewan is, and offer them some lessons in communal responsibility.

Attachments

• 20190521_101404.jpg
    20190521_101404.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 97
  • 20190521_135304.jpg
    20190521_135304.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 95
I noticed those yesterday on the way to Pedrouzo (getting to Santiago today). I saw one a few days ago with rather foul language.

The latest is “You are love(d)” everywhere.
There seems to be a new rule on the Camino - every vertical surface must be written upon :(

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It’s a sad, generational thing. Somehow this person feels no shame about spray painting a selfish expression on a public guidepost. It’s all about me, in this generation

“When I was young, we were taught to be discreet and respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly disrespectful and impatient of restraint.”

Hesiod. 8th Century BC.

“The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.”

Socrates. 5th Century BC.

It’s been a problem for a while!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
But let's not give this person the very publicity they crave.....

Too late.
Thousands of pilgrims were forced to see their work in 2018.
“When I was young, we were taught to be discreet and respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly disrespectful and impatient of restraint.”

Hesiod. 8th Century BC.

“The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.”

lol! I actually think of that Socrates quote often.

My question was a little different. It’s likely that the culprit was a walker, but why would their actions debar them from being a pilgrim?

Is a pilgrim something special?
That is one of the big problems with the Camino today. A pilgrimage is something that should be undertaken with some amount of thought, reflection and reverence for what was and is, and anticipation for what may be. I am not saying people should not enjoy themselves and hope to have, which most seem to, a positive and in some degree a life changing experience. With all due respect, the people involved in this vandalism are without a shadow of a doubt anything but a pilgrim. Accepting of peoples faults, personality flaws etc. is something that I have learned when I walk caminos. People who are completely rude, self serving and accepting of everything and everyone no matter how reprehensible, selfish or rude their behavior helps to foster this type of vandalism. "Hey man everyone is cool and let's just accept everyone because we are "inclusive and non judgmental", makes no sense to me. Where does this loving acceptance end and begin to turn into the acquiesce of people and actions that threaten our freedoms and actions? There are universal truths in this world. A very simple one is actions like this disqualify these people from being identified in any manner, shape or form as pilgrims.

These tags were there 2 years ago and it only get worse. It’s not just young people. I saw a 40’ish old man with a magic marker writing on a road sign. I think what I said to him was, “what an idiot” and asked him where he lived so I could come and write my name on his house. He just walked off and I’m sure he tagged more signs for the remainder of his camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It’s a sad, generational thing. Somehow this person feels no shame about spray painting a selfish expression on a public guidepost. It’s all about me, in this generation

That’s a pretty broad generalization based on the actions of one.

One way to stop it is to catch the vandals, then sentence them to 30 days community service removing graffiti... for each offense. If you tag multiple locations, to my view, those are multiple instances. Each object tagged is a separate offense.

That would both clean these valued structures and transmit a strong deterrent message.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
My intention was not to start an argument about who would or wouldn't do this.
My intention was to express my disgust with anyone who would do this.
Why do we always have to argue with each other?
A friend of mine got on this forum for the first time this week and told me he felt horrible that people were so ugly to each other and got "their panties in a twist" over nothing.

Can't we each just have our opinions and move on?
I know I"m just as guilty as anyone - can't we do better?
Trying to lecture me is not going to help anything.

Trying to lecture me is not going to help anything.

I was not trying to lecture you in particular.
I'm just sad because people seem to want to fight over nothing.
It was my attempt to try to make peace, which I guess I'm not good at.
I deleted my post since it apparently offended you also.
Buen Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Someone with a can of red spray paint tagged waymarks all the way from Sarria to Santiago.
It was so sad.
https://caminosantiago2.blogspot.com/2019/09/to-person-who-wanted-to-inspire-love.html

If I were their parent, they'd be walking around with a red spray painted face and I'd probably be in jail!

View attachment 64561

I agree. I don't like the way some people also put their name on these markers with their idea of catchy little quotes or just signing their name. It is vandalism. You see some people's name all along the way as you are walking. It is very unfortunate.

Certainly did not mean to say all of this generation are like that, only that it wouldn’t cross the mind of an older generation to do this.
I don't think graffiti is new to this generation. I know I've seen graffiti from Roman soldiers and I'm pretty sure it goes back much further than that. Certainly, graffiti with the written word only goes as far back as written language, but if you pass by Atapuerca on the Camino Frances, you won't be far from where some much earlier vandals tagged up a cave. :)

Not to say that the type of graffiti shown above is acceptable. Just that it isn't new to the younger generations.

I don't think graffiti is new to this generation. I know I've seen graffiti from Roman soldiers and I'm pretty sure it goes back much further than that. Certainly, graffiti with the written word only goes as far back as written language, but if you pass by Atapuerca on the Camino Frances, you won't be far from where some much earlier vandals tagged up a cave. :)

Not to say that the type of graffiti shown above is acceptable. Just that it isn't new to the younger generations.

Yup. I saw lots of graffiti in Pompei!
This graffiti just bothered me more, for some reason.

I submit to your wisdom. Let’s hope it improves

Bring back public flogging ! :(
Flogging? Flogging's to good to them. Lets have Hanging, Drawing and Quartering. Heads displayed on Mojones. Nah; lets go Biblical: cursed until the 7th generation - that'll teach 'em... My offspring will then experience the joy of watching the wretched curs flinch at the mere sight of a sharpie.

I kind of like @dgassa's approach. See post 21 but I don't expect any more result than he did from it. Whereas my reasonable proposition would guarantee an outcome :eek: o_O;) (does anyone know what these funny faces are supposed to mean?)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
How sad, and a pitiful childish attempt at trying to gain attention.
No flogging, but certainly a couple of weeks of Camino path cleanup would be in order, or perhaps a very hefty fine, though I doubt the criminal who did that has the proverbial pot to piss in.

Shame does not seem to motivate people to change behaviour. Or at least that is my reading of the latest research.

What are these people who paint/graffiti trying to achieve? We might get somewhere if we knew, and could find another, more acceptable, gratification.

I agree that if someone is caught, getting them to clean off graffiti is a good punishment, but perhaps also (under supervision) maintaining or renewing the necessary signs? Like re-painting the yellow arrows where they have faded or become invisible. Or participating in public beautification works. That way they do get to make a "mark", but an acceptable one.

Shame does not seem to motivate people to change behaviour. Or at least that is my reading of the latest research.

What are these people who paint/graffiti trying to achieve? We might get somewhere if we knew, and could find another, more acceptable, gratification.

I agree that if someone is caught, getting them to clean off graffiti is a good punishment, but perhaps also (under supervision) maintaining or renewing the necessary signs? Like re-painting the yellow arrows where they have faded or become invisible. Or participating in public beautification works. That way they do get to make a "mark", but an acceptable one.
Nothing rebellious in that though, is there!

Saw this masterpiece of lame narcissism on my last Camino Frances. Without a doubt that scribble is not worth reading, and I haven't read it. I wonder what the child that did it hoped to accomplish? Was it planned? No doubt the average pilgrim does not carry permanent markers or paint with them in their pack.

IMG_20190825_091505129.jpg

It was so edifying when I just walked the Norte, every sign post and marker was in pristine condition ... until I rejoined the Frances at Lavacolla, and the first maker (about one minute after the last perfect Norte marker) was thoroughly vandalised - no more plates showing distances. From then on - the rubbish and tissue trail, graffiti, hoards of bike riders rushing past, people super-anxious about their next bed.

I do hope the other Camino's don't succumb to the worst aspects of the Frances as their numbers grow.

I try and pick up a few pieces of rubbish each day when I walk to make a difference, but don't know how to deal with the graffiti, as I've only witnessed it happening once (I intervened, and he didn't do it again - I know that because we became good friends)!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It was so edifying when I just walked the Norte, every sign post and marker was in pristine condition ... until I rejoined the Frances at Lavacolla, and the first maker (about one minute after the last perfect Norte marker) was thoroughly vandalised - no more plates showing distances. From then on - the rubbish and tissue trail, graffiti, hoards of bike riders rushing past, people super-anxious about their next bed.

I do hope the other Camino's don't succumb to the worst aspects of the Frances as their numbers grow.

I try and pick up a few pieces of rubbish each day when I walk to make a difference, but don't know how to deal with the graffiti, as I've only witnessed it happening once (I intervened, and he didn't do it again - I know that because we became good friends)!
Good job. Way to be a proper caretaker of the path.
The only thing I am curious about is why? Why did your now friend want to graffiti damage someone else's property along the Camino? What is the motive? What is the reason for such a selfish act?

I have seen graffiti from a couple who were in their mid 50's in 2010. We had just walked up to the top of hill outside Castrojeriz, on the underside of the wooden shelter the man scrawled their names with a black marker pen. To my shame I didn't say anything, but I was only 42 at the time, now I am in my 50's and full of righteous indignation they would get definitely get a verbal volley of me.

So as a reply to it's the 'me generation' it's probably is, but the preceding generations haven't really set a good example have they.

Good job. Way to be a proper caretaker of the path.
The only thing I am curious about is why? Why did your now friend want to graffiti damage someone else's property along the Camino? What is the motive? What is the reason for such a selfish act?
[/QUOTE]

Thanks RJM, I'm not entirely sure. I think he did it spontaneously without any thought. There wasn't any malice or intention to do harm - just thoughtless about the consequences. Maybe when people are in a new country with crowds of other happy / positive people and faced with masses of graffiti they maybe think it is acceptable / normal? Probably something deeply human about wanting to leave some kind of a permanent and personal mark behind on such a unique adventure? Solidarity with all the others leaving messages? Trying to be clever and outdoing all the other messages? I'm just guessing.

I believe that one of the best ways to deter graffiti and vandalism is to remove it as quickly as possible, people are less likely to do it if it no one else will see it.

Is there a way that we on the Camino forum can come up with ideas to tackle it? Carry white paint or chemical solution to erase? Big clear signs at the start of each major stage with some basic etiquette for walking the Camino? Encouraging people to freely add their signatures to a document in albergues saying they will promote the "eco-system" of the Camino? Providing designated graffiti boards at frequent intervals that can be photographed by locals and added to a website, so that their mark is recorded for posterity? Volunteer camino clean up groups of pilgrims?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Btw, has anyone been to the Jesus Albergue in Villar de Mazarife recently?

In 2015 I stayed there in December. I was the only one, it was dark, freezing, and felt unfriendly, but most of all I remember every wall and bed was covered in graffiti, it added to my sense of desolation that evening. I wonder if it is still the same? I suppose it was a chance for "controlled graffiti" - as long as the owners didn't mind, but it was really ugly (imo).

The amount of graffiti from Camino walkers/hikers ( I won't call people who deface the Camino 'pilgrims') is highly disappointing.
Anyone who feels the need to deface official markers or anything else for that matter is completely clueless regarding the reason to walk a Camino.
Foot prints are acceptable to leave behind. Anything else (including your garbage) is not.

Btw, has anyone been to the Jesus Albergue in Villar de Mazarife recently?

In 2015 I stayed there in December. I was the only one, it was dark, freezing, and felt unfriendly, but most of all I remember every wall and bed was covered in graffiti, it added to my sense of desolation that evening. I wonder if it is still the same? I suppose it was a chance for "controlled graffiti" - as long as the owners didn't mind, but it was really ugly (imo).
I will admit to adding my graffiti to a small corner of Bar Elvis in Reliegos in 2016. I know the owner didn't mind, though. He handed me the marker.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I will admit to adding my graffiti to a small corner of Bar Elvis in Reliegos in 2016. I know the owner didn't mind, though. He handed me the marker.
No shame there...here’s a small sample of what’s inside (from April 2017).

Attachments

• 2E4B6C47-0297-40E6-A6FC-A98F32471345.jpeg
    2E4B6C47-0297-40E6-A6FC-A98F32471345.jpeg
    833.4 KB · Views: 26
As an adjunct to this thread my one and only time on the cf I was horrified at the cretins using their skiing poles to jab the Camino tiles on the distance pilIars. I watched someone do thus and asked why he did it. His reply was because he saw some one else do it...a case of monkey see monkey do

As an adjunct to this thread my one and only time on the cf I was horrified at the cretins using their skiing poles to jab the Camino tiles on the distance pilIars. I watched someone do thus and asked why he did it. His reply was because he saw some one else do it...a case of monkey see monkey do
I was always pleased when I found one where the distance marker and/or the ceramic arrow plaque hadn’t been prised out.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I was always pleased when I found one where the distance marker and/or the ceramic arrow plaque hadn’t been prised out.
On the Norte, they're all near pristine (at least from Aviles to Santiago) I was very impressed.

On the Norte, they're all near pristine (at least from Aviles to Santiago) I was very impressed.
They vary on the Frances - although regularly replaced - as one nears Santiago the damage is more common.

It’s ironic as every second shop in Santiago sells a ceramic ‘yellow arrow’ plaque for next to nothing.

As someone who, on a bad day, would happily shoot people who cannot park inside the designated parking space my views on peripatetic vandals are best not posted.

This type of vandalism is hugely frustrating, and I know it kind of grinds my gears.

In 2015 when I walked from Leon, every few miles I saw the tag of Leonie with a heart shape next to the name. Dear Leonie needed a slap and a good talking to. Hopefully, whoever caused this vandalism comes to realise the consequences of their actions.

They vary on the Frances - although regularly replaced - as one nears Santiago the damage is more common.

It’s ironic as every second shop in Santiago sells a ceramic ‘yellow arrow’ plaque for next to nothing.

As someone who, on a bad day, would happily shoot people who cannot park inside the designated parking space my views on peripatetic vandals are best not posted.
Shouldn't that be peripathetic vandals??!!!

Hopefully, whoever caused this vandalism comes to reali
Obviously not. And there are many people doing this, perhaps not even seeing it as vandalism - but as part of the 'camino experience:' camino families, lots of partying, and tagging...?
Who knows? And go figure....

Last edited:
Huh. Graffiti doesn’t bother me. maybe because I have mostly lived in cities and there is always graffiti somewhere, routinely scrubbed off and frequently reapplied.
I don’t like pointless tagging, (although I live in a city where there are certain areas where it’s legal and there sometimes is gorgeous art as graffiti) and I saw some graffiti on the CF this summer with some pretty offensive messages, but idiots are everywhere so I didn’t get too fussed about the particular Camino idiots.

What did bother me, however, is that certain Camino idiots did prise off the distance signs from Sarria to Santiago. That is vandalism and really tasteless. Someone having written “Buen Camino” in a pedestrian underpass doesn’t get me bothered though.

In March 2018, I did SJPP to Sarria before my wife met me for completion. I had seen very little graffiti until Ocebrera. THEN, from Sarria onward it was disgusting. Particularly, the LW scrawls. I was actually wondering what I would do if I caught them😀. Needless to say, my wife thought this was what the entire journey would look like and has no interest in returning.
I had not posted last year with the same thought as above,,,, don't give them publicity!

That is one of the big problems with the Camino today. A pilgrimage is something that should be undertaken with some amount of thought, reflection and reverence for what was and is, and anticipation for what may be. I am not saying people should not enjoy themselves and hope to have, which most seem to, a positive and in some degree a life changing experience. With all due respect, the people involved in this vandalism are without a shadow of a doubt anything but a pilgrim. Accepting of peoples faults, personality flaws etc. is something that I have learned when I walk caminos. People who are completely rude, self serving and accepting of everything and everyone no matter how reprehensible, selfish or rude their behavior helps to foster this type of vandalism. "Hey man everyone is cool and let's just accept everyone because we are "inclusive and non judgmental", makes no sense to me. Where does this loving acceptance end and begin to turn into the acquiesce of people and actions that threaten our freedoms and actions? There are universal truths in this world. A very simple one is actions like this disqualify these people from being identified in any manner, shape or form as pilgrims.
As a Benedictines we are taught that correction of our faults is one of the many ways we are shown love.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

It was so sad.

View attachment 64561

Annie
Over the years at least once on each Camino I have lost it over the defacing of public property. Most noticeable is the provincial marker for Galicia on the path up to O Cebreiro. Defacing public property even if the writing or pictures are “pretty” is reprehensible. Most times there is no discernable significance except for the persons who are compelled to deface monuments, markets, traffic signs, legitimate signage, abandoned buildings etc. I hesitate to stop to rest for fear of being tagged!

As a Benedictines we are taught that correction of our faults is one of the many ways we are shown love.
If you are directing this to me than hopefully you are right. I must really love myself as I need about 2 lifetimes to correct 1 lifetimes worth of faults. One of the multitude of reasons I walk multitudes of caminos.

Hesiod. 8th Century BC.

Well done henrythedog, well done 👍

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Mindless vandalism! Unfortunately about the only way to remove graffiti from textured granite is sandblasting which is somewhat of a process. As someone posted, monkey see monkey do is a lot of the problem, once one clown defaces something sure enough another one comes along and has to add to it. Having been in the stone business for many years I could go on forever about vandalism but probably best if I stop now.

While not a graffiti fan, this gave me a chuckle...

DON'T DO IT KIDS!
Screenshot_20190916-140004_Gallery.jpg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Oh yes I saw them on every marker as we approached Santiago at the end of July (I arrived 25th July - the Feast of St James, which happened to be the eve of my 50th birthday!), and remember being disgusted by it. Reckless, disrespectful and unnecessary!

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back