• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

To Those of you with New Hips

Lyndale

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances Aug(2013), Portuguese (2018) Le Puy (2019)
I'm six weeks into healing from receiving a new hip. Doing good but still exhausted after short (2 blocks) walks. My doctor says I'll be able to do the Camino next year providing there's a vaccine and Europe is willing to let anyone from the USA in. My question is to those of you with a new hip. How long was your recovery. Is ten months a long enough recovery period for a 40 day walk on the Frances.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Lyndale,

I had a hip replacement, and I was able to dance by six weeks and by two months I was able to do whatever I wanted.
It will take some time for the muscles affected by the surgery to regain their strength, so do your physical therapy exercises, and walk.

I’ve since had a knee replacement as well in early February. Yesterday I hiked a 7-8 mile strenuous mountain trail, with no issues, and I won’t be looking back.

The main thing is to keep walking. Your new gait will likely be a little different-feeling, but once the psychological barriers of being a compromised walker/athlete are surmounted by confidence-boosting walking or other workouts and you get the muscles back in shape, there’s very little you can’t do, within reason.

So, I’d agree with your doctor, as long as you hold up your end of the deal and are an active participant in your own recovery.

All the best for a speedy recovery,
Paul

I’ve since had a knee replacement as well in early February. Yesterday I hiked a 7-8 mile strenuous mountain trail, with no issues, and I won’t be looking back.
@Paul McAmino
That's seven months, and I don't want to wait that long. I am 72 in fairly good condition, and hoping for knee replacement surgery around the end of November. How long did it take you to recover to camino-walking condition from that surgery?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi @Albertagirl,

I just used yesterday’s hike as an indication that all was well. Everyone is different, but I’m sure that physically I was able to walk for hours a few months ago, and that had I been more assiduous in my physical therapy I could have tested myself much sooner, had I felt the need. I knew I would not be walking in Spain, however, so there was no rush.

All the best,
Paul

I'm six weeks into healing from receiving a new hip. Doing good but still exhausted after short (2 blocks) walks. My doctor says I'll be able to do the Camino next year providing there's a vaccine and Europe is willing to let anyone from the USA in. My question is to those of you with a new hip. How long was your recovery. Is ten months a long enough recovery period for a 40 day walk on the Frances.
Hi Lyndale,
I (Anne) had a total hip replacement at the end of October, 2013. I was 59 at the time. I followed all the required surgeon and physio instructions. I also did a lot of exercises in the pool which I think helped with my recovery.
My husband and I were planning to walk our first Camino Frances in August, 2014. My surgeon reviewed me in March, 2014 and said I could start training walking for the Camino from then. We completed more than 800kms in training before heading off to start the Camino. We started the Camino as planned from St Jean Pied de Port on 22nd, August, 2014 and made it to Santiago de Compostela on 2nd, October, 2014, without any issues, taking three rest days along the way. This was the start of our long distance walking and we were hooked. So from my experience ten months is a long enough recovery period but be guided by your surgeon.
My husband has completed all our Caminos with both hips replaced twice.
I walk with hiking poles and we now don't carry heavy backpacks anymore.

Best wishes for a good recovery,
Anne & Pat

@Paul McAmino
That's seven months, and I don't want to wait that long. I am 72 in fairly good condition, and hoping for knee replacement surgery around the end of November. How long did it take you to recover to camino-walking condition from that surgery?
Knees take a lot longer than hips to come properly right unfortunately. Thre is a lot more damage done to the ligaments and it's those which take the time to repair and get back to good strength. Mine as functional around 6 months afterwards, but it took a year before it really felt good. Do the exercises, it really is essential.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Absolutely!!!!!

Thank you all. Sounds like the PT and exercise is key. I guess I should ramp that up a bit.
LYNDA
The rehab exercises are critical. It hurts and it's hard work but the better you stick to the rehab programme the better final result you get. A friend who is a physiotherapist says that shse can tell right from the start who will get a good result and who won't by the way they work or don't at the exercises.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you all. Sounds like the PT and exercise is key. I guess I should ramp that up a bit.
LYNDA

Dear Lynda;
I do not possess new hips, but in 2014 I walked with a woman who had not one but 2 new hips! Her arthritis had been so bad that her replacements had been done within six weeks of each other. But she had been an athlete and intended to be one again She did her PT and her exercise, and I have never seen anyone glide more blithely along long days. Indeed, though probably a decade older than i, she "beat" me to SdC by a full 5 days! I asked her how she managed such distance a speed when so many had bursitis, etc. and she said, "Well, it's simple: I have no nerves in the hip joints at all!"
May this be an inspiration and encouragement to you!

I had bilateral knee replacements done in the summer of 2017. I did agressive physio post-surgery, I was 57 at the time. 10 weeks later we did a four day 52 km hike in the Canadian Rockies. This month was to be our first camino frances. COVID of course messed up our plans, but for the last three weeks we have again been in the Rockies and did 402 km hiking in 19 days. Hips generally settle out faster than knees, so I suspect you will have no problem next year.

Do physio, and let your physiotherapist guide you to the best exercises, stretches and range of motion as you go.

Hopefully we will make it to Spain next year, and you will too!

Hi Albertagirl,
We had the exact same questions as you when my husband had partial knee replacement surgery last year, also at age 72. While everyone's recovery is different, here's how his went: With physical therapy and devotion to doing all the assigned exercises many times a day at home, by 6 weeks, he was able to walk several kilometers a day on the Camino Frances. By 3 months, he was able to walk long distances in the mountains. You can see our daily kilometers in our journal. At first, Ned just walked a few kilometers a day, but by the end of the trip, he was doing the full distance. This year, he had his other knee done on July 7, and was able to walk 8 kilometers last week. He could easily have done more. Good luck and happy walking!
Elaine

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.