• PLEASE NOTE: Please think twice before you travel to Spain now. More here.

Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.
Silver Oxide Camino de Santiago pendent
Camino de Santiago pendant that has a shell on the front, and "Camino de Santiago" engraved on the back. Comes with a black cord. Pendent is slightly larger than a 50 euro cent coin, about 25mm.

To those Walking now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel Crowe

Year of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2018

VDLP (2020)
Evening all,

I'm looking for some information on what it's like walking the Camino at the minute. I know everywhere is difficult and there's my own health and others to be concerned with, but if I was in dire need of going now, what is it like?

I'm asking for the Frances and Del Norte in particular, but all routes are useful to know. Are many hostels open? Is there places to eat in evenings? Etc

I know there's a snow storm as well, I believe, but I'm thinking of going within the next 4-6 weeks. Ireland here is completely shut down and looking to stay that way until March or April, so I need a place to go that's open. Any information is great. Thanks!

2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.
Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store

JabbaPapa

"True Pilgrim"
100 characters or fewer : see signature details
99 Pilgrims received their Compostelas in December.

(2009): Camino Frances
(2011): Sevilla-Salamanca, VdlP
(2012): Salamanca-SdC, VdlP
(2014): SJpdP-Astorga
(2015): Astorga-SdC
(2016) May Pamplona-Moratinos; Sept.:Burgos-SdC
(2016): August/Sept: Camino San Olav (Burgos-Covarubbias), Burgos-Sarria
(2017): May: Portuguese; Sept: Pamplona-SdC
IMHO, this is not the time to contemplate a Camino in Spain: We are in the midst of a worldwide crisis. Just my 0.0000002 cents. Stay calm and wait for better times, IMHO, and enjoy the fellowship of this Camino forum instead.

Many participants on this forum are also trying to help our friends in Spain who are offering their services to us pilgrims, and who are now living in problematic/dire conditions. Let us try to help them from where we are, securing our future walks again, instead of forcing ourselves onto them physically now. Again, just my 0.0000002 cents of sanity.

Last edited:

Rebekah Scott

Camino Busybody
Many, various, and continuing.
I am in Spain, on the Frances, at the moment. There are very few places open, these are listed on http://www.aprinca.com/Subir/subidas/albergues.htm

As you will see from the list (updated every day or two) there are perimeter closures all along the Way, meaning you cannot cross into or out of Navarra, La Rioja, Castilla y Leon, and Galicia. Which means you can walk on the Frances, but not very far. (Castilla y Leon is the biggest stretch, from Sto Domingo de la Calzada up to Las Herrerias. But I the cities, too, are closing themselves off and on, too!) Carrion de los Condes is on high alert due to a superspreader event; the weather is pretty miserable, and whichever bars and cafes are open you cannot eat or drink indoors. (Even the finest tapas are pretty lowdown when eaten out on the sidewalk in the freezing rain with all the smokers.) Spain is in full Covid mode. A lot of people are afraid of one another, and they will be afraid of YOU for sure. Pull on your inner strength and stay at home.

Create your own ad
Have a camino related project that you are interested in promoting on the forum? Create your own ad right now.
Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.
(2009): Camino Frances
(2011): Sevilla-Salamanca, VdlP
(2012): Salamanca-SdC, VdlP
(2014): SJpdP-Astorga
(2015): Astorga-SdC
(2016) May Pamplona-Moratinos; Sept.:Burgos-SdC
(2016): August/Sept: Camino San Olav (Burgos-Covarubbias), Burgos-Sarria
(2017): May: Portuguese; Sept: Pamplona-SdC
I have forgotten @ivar 's link to the donation page for needing albergues. Maybe some of the esteemed Forum members can post a link to it?

If you are thinking about walking a Camino in the future, you will need shelter and food. Albergues provide these things. Maybe it's time for many of us to walk a virtual Camino, participate friendly in this Forum, and make some donations towards our needing helpers in Spain? Remember, without them being in business, we will have to sleep out and make our own food. Just saying; this is the time for helping them as well as ourselves in the future, consequently.

I am not rich. But I try to donate wherever I can. I want to go back to Spain and my beloved Camino(s). And there are some albergues dear to me. With my limited means, I try to help. One day I shall go back, and there are places I want to be in. My motivation. Selfish, of course, but there are so many beautiful locations that need our help right now.

Remember, we are, and will be, in the future, pilgrims.

Last edited:

trecile

Camino Addict
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)

trecile

Camino Addict
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
Spain is in full Covid mode. A lot of people are afraid of one another, and they will be afraid of YOU for sure. Pull on your inner strength and stay at home.
Please listen to Rebekah. She lives there. She knows what is happening.

"Camino from 2013 to 2019" paused for now...
Evening all,

I'm looking for some information on what it's like walking the Camino at the minute. I know everywhere is difficult and there's my own health and others to be concerned with, but if I was in dire need of going now, what is it like?

I'm asking for the Frances and Del Norte in particular, but all routes are useful to know. Are many hostels open? Is there places to eat in evenings? Etc

I know there's a snow storm as well, I believe, but I'm thinking of going within the next 4-6 weeks. Ireland here is completely shut down and looking to stay that way until March or April, so I need a place to go that's open. Any information is great. Thanks!

Hi Daniel, this piece from El Pais may support your thinking.

EL PAÍS

Daniel Crowe

Camino Frances 2018

VDLP (2020)
I've read all the comments and thanks for the answers everyone. I'm sure I'm no different to a lot of you in that it's very frustrating not to be able to travel. Today I just needed to feel like there was options. But there isn't for now! I'll wait on so.

Thanks a lot. 👍

Silver Oxide Camino de Santiago pendent
Camino de Santiago pendant that has a shell on the front, and "Camino de Santiago" engraved on the back. Comes with a black cord. Pendent is slightly larger than a 50 euro cent coin, about 25mm.
John Brierley Camino Frances Guide
This guide is one of the ones that has been around for over 15 years. Updated yearly. Please read the reviews.

nathanael

Frances, Norte, Plata,
I am in Spain, on the Frances, at the moment. There are very few places open, these are listed on http://www.aprinca.com/Subir/subidas/albergues.htm

As you will see from the list (updated every day or two) there are perimeter closures all along the Way, meaning you cannot cross into or out of Navarra, La Rioja, Castilla y Leon, and Galicia. Which means you can walk on the Frances, but not very far. (Castilla y Leon is the biggest stretch, from Sto Domingo de la Calzada up to Las Herrerias. But I the cities, too, are closing themselves off and on, too!) Carrion de los Condes is on high alert due to a superspreader event; the weather is pretty miserable, and whichever bars and cafes are open you cannot eat or drink indoors. (Even the finest tapas are pretty lowdown when eaten out on the sidewalk in the freezing rain with all the smokers.) Spain is in full Covid mode. A lot of people are afraid of one another, and they will be afraid of YOU for sure. Pull on your inner strength and stay
Well said and seriously we are all missing the Camino. Myself I will not attempt to do it this year may next.

Camino del Norte Sept 2013
Camino del Norte Sept 2014
Camino del Norte 2015,16,17,18
I've read all the comments and thanks for the answers everyone. I'm sure I'm no different to a lot of you in that it's very frustrating not to be able to travel. Today I just needed to feel like there was options. But there isn't for now! I'll wait on so.

Thanks a lot. 👍
Maybe you have some lovely local woods

Sheila Kenny

C. Frances (2002), (2012), (2013) C. Portuguese (2015)
Evening all,

I know there's a snow storm as well, I believe, but I'm thinking of going within the next 4-6 weeks. Ireland here is completely shut do
wn and looking to stay that way until March or April, so I need a place to go that's open. Any information is great. Thanks!

Fán abhaile
Fán abhaile Daniel unless you're a right amadán.

Simon B

Camino Ingles and Camino Frances. VDLP Spring 2019
Evening all,

Think it would be madness to even consider going anywhere at the moment. Things are bad and getting worse. Wait for the vaccine to improve things, allow countries to open up and go when it is safe.

John Brierley Camino Frances Guide
This guide is one of the ones that has been around for over 15 years. Updated yearly. Please read the reviews.
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.

lt56ny

Veteran Member
CF(2012) Le Puy/CF (2015) Portugues (2017) Norte (2018) CF (2019) VDLP?
Close this thread please. Why are we even entertaining this now. You need to go now? People need to live and the less people coming into towns and villages that may spread a deadly virus the better for everyone! Please please read what is happening and listen to Ms. Scott and I am sure hundreds of thousands of other Spaniards stay home. I do not mean to be rude but enough of this please. Again if you want to dream and plan and ask more about a Camino in the future and what gear to buy or hopefully a wonderful albergue to stay in go right ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.