• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

To wear a hat...

SusanReneGr65

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Le Puy Fall 2015
I bought a hat. I thought I'd never wear it.
Boy was I wrong.
  1. Sun: The obvious reason for wearing a hat.
  2. Rain: The hat kept light rain off my glasses.
  3. Falling things: We walked the Le Puy route in October and through the forest of chestnut trees there were many falling chestnuts.
  4. Dogs: Hat brim tilted down, to keep from looking the farm dogs in the eye.
  5. Tangles: The hat kept my curly hair from becoming a tangled mess by the end of the day.
Consider a hat!;)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Definitely, a hat! I brought what I called my ugly hat and wore it all the time. My ugly hat saved my face when I fell head first onto the pavement as I tripped on a rock. Now I refer to my ugly hat with appreciation.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi, are we talking a peak cap or one of those floppy wide brim things. I am not fond or ties around my neck :)
We walk in May and I do wear glasses .

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I use lightweight, ventilated, SPF fabric ball caps made by Outdoors Research (OR). This is the same brand as the tan hat pictured two posts up from here. They fold flat (brim folds into the rear of the cap), and can easily go in a rucksack side pocket or a rear side pants pocket. I also wear a whole brimmed "sun hat" similar to the two above. The sun hat also has an adjustable chin-string for windy days.

My reason for having two hats is simple. The ball cap is better for use "in town" or while traveling. It is also better worn under the hood of your rain gear to keep rain off your eyeglasses, to give shape to the brim of your poncho or parka hood, and to preclude rain from channeling around the full brim of a sun hat down your back...:eek:

The sun hat, with the brim running all around is best for all sunny or overcast days to keep your head and neck in shade, and as has been described above.

You will wear both types of hats, on different types of days, in different types of weather.

If you are walking during the hot, summer months, where less rain is expected, the single "bucket-style" hat may suffice. But, as I usually walk in late April through early June typically, I can experience anything from snow to bright hot, dry weather along different parts of the Camino Frances. The temperatures can vary from the low single digits (celsius) to the upper 20s (celsius). To we Americans, that means from the mid-30s to the low 80s (fahrenheit).

So, the two-hat solution, combined with the variety of other gear I carry, enables me to adapt to any weather conditions I encounter. So far, that has included about everything except another Great Flood...of Biblical proportions...;)

I hope this helps.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I use lightweight, ventilated, SPF fabric ball caps made by Outdoors Research (OR). This is the same brand as the tan hat pictured two posts up from here. They fold flat (brim folds into the rear of the cap), and can easily go in a rucksack side pocket or a rear side pants pocket. I also wear a whole brimmed "sun hat" similar to the two above. The sun hat also has an adjustable chin-string for windy days.

My reason for having two hats is simple. The ball cap is better for use "in town" or while traveling. It is also better worn under the hood of your rain gear to keep rain off your eyeglasses, to give shape to the brim of your poncho or parka hood, and to preclude rain from channeling around the full brim of a sun hat down your back...:eek:

The sun hat, with the brim running all around is best for all sunny or overcast days to keep your head and neck in shade, and as has been described above.

You will wear both types of hats, on different types of days, in different types of weather.

If you are walking during the hot, summer months, where less rain is expected, the single "bucket-style" hat may suffice. But, as I usually walk in late April through early June typically, I can experience anything from snow to bright hot, dry weather along different parts of the Camino Frances. The temperatures can vary from the low single digits (celsius) to the upper 20s (celsius). To we Americans, that means from the mid-30s to the low 80s (fahrenheit).

So, the two-hat solution, combined with the variety of other gear I carry, enables me to adapt to any weather conditions I encounter. So far, that has included about everything except another Great Flood...of Biblical proportions...;)

I hope this helps.
This is far too complicated!! The test of a good rain hood is that it goes over my Tilley hat, and then that is the only hat that I need to take.:)

I hope this helps.
Hi. Thanks for the information, I got chills just imagining the water running down my back. :eek:

I agree, Tilly is the way to go.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I agree with you. I'm a guy that never wears a hat. I thought "maybe, maybe I ought to bring one." Boy was that a good decision. Hats keep your head cool in the sun, warm in the cold, and dry in the rain. They shield your eyes from the glaring sun. They also block your view of that guy that insists on walking with you to tell you the same story over and over again a dozen different times. A good reason for earplugs too. :)

Make sure whatever hat you take has a cord you can tighten under your chin to keep it on your head in high winds. Essential in some of the mountain areas.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi, are we talking a peak cap or one of those floppy wide brim things. I am not fond or ties around my neck :)
We walk in May and I do wear glasses .
You put the tie at the back of the neck like the Mounties, USMC and Alex Tilley tells you to.

I bought a hat. I thought I'd never wear it.
Boy was I wrong.
  1. Sun: The obvious reason for wearing a hat.
  2. Rain: The hat kept light rain off my glasses.
  3. Falling things: We walked the Le Puy route in October and through the forest of chestnut trees there were many falling chestnuts.
  4. Dogs: Hat brim tilted down, to keep from looking the farm dogs in the eye.
  5. Tangles: The hat kept my curly hair from becoming a tangled mess by the end of the day.
Consider a hat!;)
6. If you're wearing your poncho you can squint, chomp on a cheroot and pretend to be Clint Eastwood

dah de dah de dah . . . de dah dah!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My hat is Tilley - like. It was purchased at a surplus store eons ago when Tilley was a baby and I think I paid $1.50 for it. It has been all over the World and still serves me well and I take care of it. It does have a string to keep it on when it gets windy. That is when the Sun can burn the most.

Leaving for Europe mid August but expect to start Camino Frances in early September.

Buen Camino

You put the tie at the back of the neck like the Mounties, USMC and Alex Tilley tells you to.
I generally leave the ties under the crown of the hat until I think it is in danger of blowing off, when either the front or rear is deployed. Only occasionally have I felt the need to have both the fore and aft ties deployed in local wild weather. It has never been that extreme on any of my Camino walks.

I am an Aussie who hates wearing a hat but has to due to my English forebearers.
But ......I LOVE my Tilley hat.
Put it on first thing in the morning (provides warmth on cooler days & shade on others) and take it of at the end of the walk.
I do replace it with super light weight sun visor under poncho to avoid rain channeling down my back though.
Wouldn't be without the option of two ties in those rare cases of extreme wind!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
image.jpg That one! Not sure what model it is, bought it as a special present for my husband, for his first camino. He chose it with me but somehow never liked it?!
I do and it's MINE now :cool:

What model Tilley hat do you prefer?
Tilley T3 with a red cord hatband so I can distinguish it from the Tilleys being worn by every other walker I meet - that and the fact it's a size 63.5!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have heard that Canadians are not allowed to walk the Camino without a Tilley hat. ;)

Mine has been a faithful companion for sixteen years except for spring bug season when I take a hat with a built-in mosquito net.

Tilley on sunny days. Cap under the rain hood on rainy days. Always the Canadian rule!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
No hat, I use an umbrella I find more useful

Zzotte

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.