A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Today early start,but going nowhere

Camino(s) past & future
2013.2014..SJ/SDC ....2015.PORTO/SDC..2017.18.19.20.BURGOS/P.FERRADA
Up before 0545 today.Should have been up at 0300.Looking out over the rooftops opposite on this quiet little street I live in.Looking East as the slowly approaching dawn tries to push the darkness westwards.It is silent out there as even the birds dawn chorus seems to be absent.They must be on strike in support of me.0602.…there it is ....that rumble in the distance from the nearby little airport that is gradually increasing to a roar in minuets.
Then it's there climbing over the rooftops as it seems to be vertically rushing to the cloud cover so I only have seconds to see it.It can't hide as in my minds eye I am on board,sitting in my window seat looking at the coastline of the Irish sea on my left as the plane races south towards France and eventually SPAIN.
Yes,I had a seat booked on that plane heading for my 7th Camino.I hate covid,and I am so envious of those out there now,but at 73,and with the UK GOV rules??¿????????
Hurry up 2021.

Camino(s) past & future
CF in sections 2019/2020
Hi Philip, I understand your feeling so well of wanting to come back to Spain and walk. I even did walk my final stages of the CF, early July and then finishing early August in SDC. But still, I am longing to go back, also as the summer here in NL seems to have ended abruptly. Perhaps, perhaps October, November, but first the extent of new Covid cases in ES should decrease materially. Stay safe and fit, I hope you can go back soon, by the time that the vaccin is there.

Camino(s) past & future
Frances(2006) Portugues(2013)
San Salvador (2017) Ingles (2019)
Up before 0545 today.Should have been up at 0300.Looking out over the rooftops opposite on this quiet little street I live in.Looking East as the slowly approaching dawn tries to push the darkness westwards.It is silent out there as even the birds dawn chorus seems to be absent.They must be on strike in support of me.0602.…there it is ....that rumble in the distance from the nearby little airport that is gradually increasing to a roar in minuets.
Then it's there climbing over the rooftops as it seems to be vertically rushing to the cloud cover so I only have seconds to see it.It can't hide as in my minds eye I am on board,sitting in my window seat looking at the coastline of the Irish sea on my left as the plane races south towards France and eventually SPAIN.
Yes,I had a seat booked on that plane heading for my 7th Camino.I hate covid,and I am so envious of those out there now,but at 73,and with the UK GOV rules??¿????????
Hurry up 2021.
Let’s get this straight: if you are a Scouse, how can the Irish Sea be on your left? I do feel the pain you feel and are valiantly trying to overcome. You are a lot older than me. I am still only 72. !!!:)
My plane came and went in August. I could bore you, but I won‘t.
Ok, I will. Aerlingus is refunding (when?) and Iberia has a single flight to decide on.. that has been a hoot of a journey in itself, trying to reach a real person. I mean - sorry, I did say I would not bore you and I am about to do just that! As the hours to the boarding in Pamplona ticked away becoming minutes, I capitulated and accepted a voucher. Then I wrote a letter, having joined their plus club. I told them I was utterly disappointed. And more. All very polite and restrained, honestly. Patience is the name of the game. I did not expect a response. Hah! They are escalating my request. I made no request. I just told them I was so deeply disappointed in their company, and even had gone to their Embassy, to be cut off at the intercom by the nice lady who answered when I asked if there was a phone number for Iberia where I might actually find a person who could listen to my story, essentially saying that it would be impossible for me to board the plane in Pamplona as my flight to Spain had been cancelled.
So now, let’s see what transpires next.
And much more important, right now: I am truly sorry for your disappointment. Just wait. Wear your mask, keep away from bad people, and when the time is right, either you will get on that plane, or you won’t need a plane!!! You will have free travel to anywhere and everywhere!
Editp please don't mind my zany sense of humour. Of course you will get on that plane!!!

Last edited:

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Camino(s) past & future
(2009): Camino Frances
(2011): Sevilla-Salamanca, VdlP
(2012): Salamanca-SdC, VdlP
(2014): SJpdP-Astorga
(2015): Astorga-SdC
(2016) May Pamplona-Moratinos; Sept.:Burgos-SdC
(2016): August/Sept: Camino San Olav (Burgos-Covarubbias), Burgos-Sarria
(2017): May: Portuguese; Sept: Pamplona-SdC
Hurry up 2021.
I feel your pain. You are not alone.

Camino(s) past & future
Let’s get this straight: if you are a Scouse, how can the Irish Sea be on your left? I do feel the pain you feel and are valiantly trying to overcome. You are a lot older than me. I am still only 72. !!!:)
My plane came and went in August. I could bore you, but I won‘t.
Ok, I will. Aerlingus is refunding (when?) and Iberia has a single flight to decide on.. that has been a hoot of a journey in itself, trying to reach a real person. I mean - sorry, I did say I would not bore you and I am about to do just that! As the hours to the boarding in Pamplona ticked away becoming minutes, I capitulated and accepted a voucher. Then I wrote a letter, having joined their plus club. I told them I was utterly disappointed. And more. All very polite and restrained, honestly. Patience is the name of the game. I did not expect a response. Hah! They are escalating my request. I made no request. I just told them I was so deeply disappointed in their company, and even had gone to their Embassy, to be cut off at the intercom by the nice lady who answered when I asked if there was a phone number for Iberia where I might actually find a person who could listen to my story, essentially saying that it would be impossible for me to board the plane in Pamplona as my flight to Spain had been cancelled.
So now, let’s see what transpires next.
And much more important, right now: I am truly sorry for your disappointment. Just wait. Wear your mask, keep away from bad people, and when the time is right, either you will get on that plane, or you won’t need a plane!!! You will have free travel to anywhere and everywhere!
Editp please don't mind my zany sense of humour. Of course you will get on that plane!!!
As previously stated I am an Irishman living in Liverpool,hence IRISH SCOUSE,so called by a friend from Manchester who said being that was not as bad as just Scouse.(football rivalry is rife here).
As planes leave Liverpool they head west to the Irish Sea then sharp Left past Wales and on to France.Sorry,it was the English side of the Irish Sea I referred to ,and yes I will be back on Camino next year,flight already booked.Hope you too miss the "" free unlimited travel "" you mentioned.

Harington

Camino(s) past & future
Vézelay/Francés 2011, Primitivo 2012, VdlP 2013, Via Domitia 2014, Inglés 2015, Francigena 2016
Hurry up 2021.
Dawn chorus in September? You must be a city dweller!

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances and Invierno (2019)
Camino Frances (2021)
Hurry up 2021.
I feel your pain 😞 hopping for a buen Camino next spring 👣🎒😎

AndreaCT

Camino(s) past & future
2016 CF
2017 CF and Finnisterre
2019 CP and Muxia
Philip, I wasn't booked for your flight or any flight this year, but somehow I'm feel a gut twinge of great disappointment as I read your post. I can't imagine looking up and seeing the plane that I was supposed to be on, flying away without me. Two years ago I met a woman who was 93 and walking the Frances so you've got lots of time to get back!

El Cascayal

Camino(s) past & future
Primitivo May 2019
Invierno November 2019
Ingles April (2020) postponed
Hurry up 2021.
“gradually increasing to a roar in minuets.” Phillip, was this poetry or just a typo? Love it. For what it’s worth, all of our hearts ache collectively all over the world.

Camino(s) past & future

timr

Camino(s) past & future
Several and counting...
Dawn chorus in September? You must be a city dweller!
@Harington @philip a tobin @kirkie
Another city-dwelling Irish scouse (or possibly scouse Irish) here, (not living in Liverpool nor Ireland at present) who has gone on record as saying that the sounds of traffic and early morning bin lorries are at least as pleasing to me as the squawking of birds. Where I live, green parakeets 🦜disturb my peace quite a bit though mainly in the evening (they have reached Liverpool too) and the noise of urban foxes 🦊 is quite distracting. But a lorry or bus passing in the night is a source of comfort.

Sorry to hear of your disappointment this year Philip, which I share totally. Let us all hope for better times next year.

And to dear @kirkie let me say I knew what he meant about the Irish Sea! :) :) :) I always pay for seat 33A on a well-known airline and always see the Irish sea out of the window to my left as I head for Spain. If I am heading for Dublin, we fly directly along the North Wales coast, exactly like going to Holyhead for the car ferry.

And the best of luck in your fight for justice from the refund department. 👍❤✈

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
CF Sep/Oct 2015
C Primitivo Sep / Oct 2016
Portugese Sep/Oct 2017
VdlP, Muxia 2018
Hurry up 2021.
Understood

Camino(s) past & future
@Harington @philip a tobin @kirkie
Another city-dwelling Irish scouse (or possibly scouse Irish) here, (not living in Liverpool nor Ireland at present) who has gone on record as saying that the sounds of traffic and early morning bin lorries are at least as pleasing to me as the squawking of birds. Where I live, green parakeets 🦜disturb my peace quite a bit though mainly in the evening (they have reached Liverpool too) and the noise of urban foxes 🦊 is quite distracting. But a lorry or bus passing in the night is a source of comfort.

Sorry to hear of your disappointment this year Philip, which I share totally. Let us all hope for better times next year.

And to dear @kirkie let me say I knew what he meant about the Irish Sea! :) :) :) I always pay for seat 33A on a well-known airline and always see the Irish sea out of the window to my left as I head for Spain. If I am heading for Dublin, we fly directly along the North Wales coast, exactly like going to Holyhead for the car ferry.

And the best of luck in your fight for justice from the refund department. 👍❤✈
This reply is for both Philip and Timr: forgive me for my blinkered assumption about the location of the Irish Sea! Yet another example of how easy it is to think there is only one point of view! 🔭
🤡. As for refunds, it is all in the waiting now. I will report back if and when there is news.

Camino(s) past & future
Spoken like a Confucian.
Labels confuce me. So I used some AI to root around a bit to see if I could dispel my Confucion. This one I liked:
“The hardest thing of all is to find a black cat in a dark room, especially if there is no cat.”
I like that. Thanks for adding to my fount of knowledge.
(I am aware this is a detour, sorry, philip a tobin...):cool:

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2017
Labels confuce me. So I used some AI to root around a bit to see if I could dispel my Confucion. This one I liked:
“The hardest thing of all is to find a black cat in a dark room, especially if there is no cat.”
I like that. Thanks for adding to my fount of knowledge.
(I am aware this is a detour, sorry, philip a tobin...):cool:
Love it! The Confucian Doctrine of the Golden Mean: ". . .to be excessive in nothing and to assume that between two propositions, and between two contending individuals, there is truth on both sides. . ."

Sorry, Phillip, kirkie and I engaged in a brief detour into Camino cordiality and synergy. And now, back to our reglarly scheduled programming involving not being able to go anywhere. Despair not, as you have plenty of time. I did the CF at age 75. Ultreia et suseia!

JillGat

la tierra encantada
Camino(s) past & future
C. Frances SJPP - Finisterre - Muxia (May 2016)
C. Frances (Sept 2017)
Camino Portugues (June 2019)
Well, I had a motorcycle trip on the Silk Road planned for June and had to cancel my airline ticket to Tajikistan. Fun trying to get through to Turkish Airlines.

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Camino Conversations

Camino Conversations

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

Most downloaded Resources

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 55 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 197 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 325 24.8%
  • June

Votes: 95 7.3%
  • July

Votes: 24 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 379 28.9%
  • October

Votes: 158 12.1%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 7 0.5%

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock