• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Today early start,but going nowhere

• Thread starter Former member 42123
  • Start date
F

Former member 42123

Up before 0545 today.Should have been up at 0300.Looking out over the rooftops opposite on this quiet little street I live in.Looking East as the slowly approaching dawn tries to push the darkness westwards.It is silent out there as even the birds dawn chorus seems to be absent.They must be on strike in support of me.0602.…there it is ....that rumble in the distance from the nearby little airport that is gradually increasing to a roar in minuets.
Then it's there climbing over the rooftops as it seems to be vertically rushing to the cloud cover so I only have seconds to see it.It can't hide as in my minds eye I am on board,sitting in my window seat looking at the coastline of the Irish sea on my left as the plane races south towards France and eventually SPAIN.
Yes,I had a seat booked on that plane heading for my 7th Camino.I hate covid,and I am so envious of those out there now,but at 73,and with the UK GOV rules??¿????????
Hurry up 2021.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Philip, I understand your feeling so well of wanting to come back to Spain and walk. I even did walk my final stages of the CF, early July and then finishing early August in SDC. But still, I am longing to go back, also as the summer here in NL seems to have ended abruptly. Perhaps, perhaps October, November, but first the extent of new Covid cases in ES should decrease materially. Stay safe and fit, I hope you can go back soon, by the time that the vaccin is there.

Up before 0545 today.Should have been up at 0300.Looking out over the rooftops opposite on this quiet little street I live in.Looking East as the slowly approaching dawn tries to push the darkness westwards.It is silent out there as even the birds dawn chorus seems to be absent.They must be on strike in support of me.0602.…there it is ....that rumble in the distance from the nearby little airport that is gradually increasing to a roar in minuets.
Then it's there climbing over the rooftops as it seems to be vertically rushing to the cloud cover so I only have seconds to see it.It can't hide as in my minds eye I am on board,sitting in my window seat looking at the coastline of the Irish sea on my left as the plane races south towards France and eventually SPAIN.
Yes,I had a seat booked on that plane heading for my 7th Camino.I hate covid,and I am so envious of those out there now,but at 73,and with the UK GOV rules??¿????????
Hurry up 2021.
Let’s get this straight: if you are a Scouse, how can the Irish Sea be on your left? I do feel the pain you feel and are valiantly trying to overcome. You are a lot older than me. I am still only 72. !!!:)
My plane came and went in August. I could bore you, but I won‘t.
Ok, I will. Aerlingus is refunding (when?) and Iberia has a single flight to decide on.. that has been a hoot of a journey in itself, trying to reach a real person. I mean - sorry, I did say I would not bore you and I am about to do just that! As the hours to the boarding in Pamplona ticked away becoming minutes, I capitulated and accepted a voucher. Then I wrote a letter, having joined their plus club. I told them I was utterly disappointed. And more. All very polite and restrained, honestly. Patience is the name of the game. I did not expect a response. Hah! They are escalating my request. I made no request. I just told them I was so deeply disappointed in their company, and even had gone to their Embassy, to be cut off at the intercom by the nice lady who answered when I asked if there was a phone number for Iberia where I might actually find a person who could listen to my story, essentially saying that it would be impossible for me to board the plane in Pamplona as my flight to Spain had been cancelled.
So now, let’s see what transpires next.
And much more important, right now: I am truly sorry for your disappointment. Just wait. Wear your mask, keep away from bad people, and when the time is right, either you will get on that plane, or you won’t need a plane!!! You will have free travel to anywhere and everywhere!
Editp please don't mind my zany sense of humour. Of course you will get on that plane!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hurry up 2021.
I feel your pain. You are not alone.

Let’s get this straight: if you are a Scouse, how can the Irish Sea be on your left? I do feel the pain you feel and are valiantly trying to overcome. You are a lot older than me. I am still only 72. !!!:)
My plane came and went in August. I could bore you, but I won‘t.
Ok, I will. Aerlingus is refunding (when?) and Iberia has a single flight to decide on.. that has been a hoot of a journey in itself, trying to reach a real person. I mean - sorry, I did say I would not bore you and I am about to do just that! As the hours to the boarding in Pamplona ticked away becoming minutes, I capitulated and accepted a voucher. Then I wrote a letter, having joined their plus club. I told them I was utterly disappointed. And more. All very polite and restrained, honestly. Patience is the name of the game. I did not expect a response. Hah! They are escalating my request. I made no request. I just told them I was so deeply disappointed in their company, and even had gone to their Embassy, to be cut off at the intercom by the nice lady who answered when I asked if there was a phone number for Iberia where I might actually find a person who could listen to my story, essentially saying that it would be impossible for me to board the plane in Pamplona as my flight to Spain had been cancelled.
So now, let’s see what transpires next.
And much more important, right now: I am truly sorry for your disappointment. Just wait. Wear your mask, keep away from bad people, and when the time is right, either you will get on that plane, or you won’t need a plane!!! You will have free travel to anywhere and everywhere!
Editp please don't mind my zany sense of humour. Of course you will get on that plane!!!
As previously stated I am an Irishman living in Liverpool,hence IRISH SCOUSE,so called by a friend from Manchester who said being that was not as bad as just Scouse.(football rivalry is rife here).
As planes leave Liverpool they head west to the Irish Sea then sharp Left past Wales and on to France.Sorry,it was the English side of the Irish Sea I referred to ,and yes I will be back on Camino next year,flight already booked.Hope you too miss the "" free unlimited travel "" you mentioned.

Hurry up 2021.
Dawn chorus in September? You must be a city dweller!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hurry up 2021.
I feel your pain 😞 hopping for a buen Camino next spring 👣🎒😎

Philip, I wasn't booked for your flight or any flight this year, but somehow I'm feel a gut twinge of great disappointment as I read your post. I can't imagine looking up and seeing the plane that I was supposed to be on, flying away without me. Two years ago I met a woman who was 93 and walking the Frances so you've got lots of time to get back!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hurry up 2021.
“gradually increasing to a roar in minuets.” Phillip, was this poetry or just a typo? Love it. For what it’s worth, all of our hearts ache collectively all over the world.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Dawn chorus in September? You must be a city dweller!
@Harington @philip a tobin @kirkie
Another city-dwelling Irish scouse (or possibly scouse Irish) here, (not living in Liverpool nor Ireland at present) who has gone on record as saying that the sounds of traffic and early morning bin lorries are at least as pleasing to me as the squawking of birds. Where I live, green parakeets 🦜disturb my peace quite a bit though mainly in the evening (they have reached Liverpool too) and the noise of urban foxes 🦊 is quite distracting. But a lorry or bus passing in the night is a source of comfort.

Sorry to hear of your disappointment this year Philip, which I share totally. Let us all hope for better times next year.

And to dear @kirkie let me say I knew what he meant about the Irish Sea! :) :) :) I always pay for seat 33A on a well-known airline and always see the Irish sea out of the window to my left as I head for Spain. If I am heading for Dublin, we fly directly along the North Wales coast, exactly like going to Holyhead for the car ferry.

And the best of luck in your fight for justice from the refund department. 👍❤✈

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hurry up 2021.
Understood

@Harington @philip a tobin @kirkie
Another city-dwelling Irish scouse (or possibly scouse Irish) here, (not living in Liverpool nor Ireland at present) who has gone on record as saying that the sounds of traffic and early morning bin lorries are at least as pleasing to me as the squawking of birds. Where I live, green parakeets 🦜disturb my peace quite a bit though mainly in the evening (they have reached Liverpool too) and the noise of urban foxes 🦊 is quite distracting. But a lorry or bus passing in the night is a source of comfort.

Sorry to hear of your disappointment this year Philip, which I share totally. Let us all hope for better times next year.

And to dear @kirkie let me say I knew what he meant about the Irish Sea! :) :) :) I always pay for seat 33A on a well-known airline and always see the Irish sea out of the window to my left as I head for Spain. If I am heading for Dublin, we fly directly along the North Wales coast, exactly like going to Holyhead for the car ferry.

And the best of luck in your fight for justice from the refund department. 👍❤✈
This reply is for both Philip and Timr: forgive me for my blinkered assumption about the location of the Irish Sea! Yet another example of how easy it is to think there is only one point of view! 🔭
🤡. As for refunds, it is all in the waiting now. I will report back if and when there is news.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
This reply is for both Philip and Timr: forgive me for my blinkered assumption about the location of the Irish Sea! Yet another example of how easy it is to think there is only one point of view! 🔭
🤡. As for refunds, it is all in the waiting now. I will report back if and when there is news.
Spoken like a Confucian.

Spoken like a Confucian.
Labels confuce me. So I used some AI to root around a bit to see if I could dispel my Confucion. This one I liked:
“The hardest thing of all is to find a black cat in a dark room, especially if there is no cat.”
I like that. Thanks for adding to my fount of knowledge.
(I am aware this is a detour, sorry, philip a tobin...):cool:

Labels confuce me. So I used some AI to root around a bit to see if I could dispel my Confucion. This one I liked:
“The hardest thing of all is to find a black cat in a dark room, especially if there is no cat.”
I like that. Thanks for adding to my fount of knowledge.
(I am aware this is a detour, sorry, philip a tobin...):cool:
Love it! The Confucian Doctrine of the Golden Mean: ". . .to be excessive in nothing and to assume that between two propositions, and between two contending individuals, there is truth on both sides. . ."

Sorry, Phillip, kirkie and I engaged in a brief detour into Camino cordiality and synergy. And now, back to our reglarly scheduled programming involving not being able to go anywhere. Despair not, as you have plenty of time. I did the CF at age 75. Ultreia et suseia!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back