• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

From Ireland - Today I Feel Like a Pilgrim: Day 45 Tipperary to Santiago:

Kevin Considine

Time of past OR future Camino
Made it to Mont. St. Michel today. A very special place where the religious and spiritual(nature) come together. Located on the northwest coast where Normandie and Brittany meet.
741C98DA-55A8-4FEE-8E4A-6288DAE8C919.jpeg

Instead of driving here and parking and walking across the causeway that connects Mont St. Michel to the mainland south of the bay, I walked from the north in Genets to the island fortress.
0B705854-FEFA-449E-BB6D-D8099ABE6B28.jpeg
You sometimes see seals but I only saw birds and shells as we walked across at low tide with water coming up as high as my waist once. We walked barefoot with the sea water and wet sand providing natural healing powers for my blistered aching feet. So quiet and beautiful and love that two and four legged beasts only have hours before needing to flee to avoid the high tide.
35EE3912-43DD-406E-B767-EBF50BD630BB.jpeg

While the abbey and fortress is magnificent, watching the tide roll in from the top of the fortress is an awesome showing of the power of nature. Everyone else in the group was returning to Genets but of course I was staying to continue my pilgrimage south in the morning or tonight if I could not find a bed. Getting to the abbey fortress around 3PM I presented myself at the office as a Pelerin(pilgrim) de Saint Jacques (Santiago). I was told they have 8 beds for pilgrims but told me to return in an hour and they showed me a room where they had placed a mat on the floor. Voila!
207DD02F-EE13-4543-8E72-58F94F60BFDC.jpeg

I am looking forward to a special night. After 45 days I have met no other pilgrims to Santiago but tonight I will meet 8 as we share a small area of the fortress increasing the island population from 46 to 55. And the thousands of tourists will be gone for the night enabling us to hear the sea.
BB6F0070-4C7E-4F0B-9562-ABE436595E2F.jpeg
From my blog www.thesenioradventurer.com — at Mont Saint-Michel, France.
60DC77F7-2950-414A-8C95-F5E74255F35B.jpeg

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thanks for sharing your wonderful photos and evocative writing. Hearing the sea tonight from the ancient fortress should be a special thrill for you and the other pilgrims. Enjoy the magic.
Bon chemin!

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! I'm starting research on the VF and, having walked the Camino Francés, I wonder how laundry/hand washing facilities and situations compare on the Francigena. I know there are more private...
Good news for pilgrims on the VF: https://www.viefrancigene.org/en/historic-pilgrim-hostel-reopens-in-siena-tuscany/

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.