• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Today I lied

Kiwi-family

{Rachael, the Mama of the family}
Time of past OR future Camino
walking every day for the rest of my life
This morning at church a lady laughed at me, “I guess you’re planning your next walk.” It was said, perhaps not unexpectedly, in that tone which can only be interpreted as “of course you’re not, that’s the silliest idea out there, I’m just making small talk, having you on.”
I smiled and replied, “Oh I’m thinking about it.” She tittered uncomfortably and I pondered the fact that the truth is:
Yes, I’ve read everything I’ve come across on the Camino de la Lana which I’d never thought about until a week ago. I’ve worked out cycling stages for the Camino Frances and have contacted my husband’s childhood friend to see if we can surprise hubby with a Two Boys Cycle The Camino trip next year for his 50th. I’ve researched air tickets and cycle hire and made a cycling spreadsheet. I’ve taken up more Spanish study with the kids so we can justify another “language practice excursion”!!!

Be sure your sins will find you out.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My friends have learned one thing: if I’m not on a trek, then I’m planning a trek. Keeps the guesswork and remarks down to one simple question: Where are you going next? Although, the “why?” question still comes up, to which I reply with a shrug and a quip about the world being a big and interesting place, of which I’ve only seen a small part. Bom Caminho!

This morning at church a lady laughed at me, “I guess you’re planning your next walk.” It was said, perhaps not unexpectedly, in that tone which can only be interpreted as “of course you’re not, that’s the silliest idea out there, I’m just making small talk, having you on.”
I smiled and replied, “Oh I’m thinking about it.” She tittered uncomfortably and I pondered the fact that the truth is:
Yes, I’ve read everything I’ve come across on the Camino de la Lana which I’d never thought about until a week ago. I’ve worked out cycling stages for the Camino Frances and have contacted my husband’s childhood friend to see if we can surprise hubby with a Two Boys Cycle The Camino trip next year for his 50th. I’ve researched air tickets and cycle hire and made a cycling spreadsheet. I’ve taken up more Spanish study with the kids so we can justify another “language practice excursion”!!!

You are hilarious! May be it's the drinking water in Titirangi that infects us with the Camino bug....I am planning 2, not 1 walks for next year. June and September. Le Puy route in June and all I know is, that I will fly in and out of Germany in September...was planning on walking the Franconian mountain trail ( not a pilgrims route), but my friend may not be able to make it. If I am on my own, I would rather do a pilgrim trail...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Your are just one of those who are either in a "walking mode" or in a Camino "planning mode". Both are fun.

p.s. you are not alone😉
What a fabulous reply for my arsenal: Thanks for asking, when I’m not in walking mode I’m in planning mode and love both, but I haven’t quite decided which is my next walk yet.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The 'only' got me a blank stare ... Perceptions differ ...
I’m planning a shorter walk next summer with my brothers and sisters, and I am getting a lot of those blank stares when they realize that this short walk will take ten or eleven days.

I love how most of us went from thinking ‘wow, I just walked 100km!’ the first week to thinking ‘there’s only 100 km left we’re almost done’ or ‘it’s only 9km to breakfast.’

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

That was no lie :p in my book anyway ;)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

That all counts as "thinking about it". You didn't say you weren't thinking about it constantly. And it hardly counts as planning if you haven't settled on a route yet.

Speaking of the Camino de la Lana, have you been watching Sara Dhooma's vlogs as she walks that route? She's just posted Day 15 and is just past Cuenca.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

It's the research and planning that keeps me sane between Caminos. If it's a sin, it's only tiny and completely forgivable! 😉

That all counts as "thinking about it". You didn't say you weren't thinking about it constantly. And it hardly counts as planning if you haven't settled on a route yet.

Speaking of the Camino de la Lana, have you been watching Sara Dhooma's vlogs as she walks that route? She's just posted Day 15 and is just past Cuenca.

Sara Dhooma is still walking?

I followed her earlier this year.

Wow!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
@David Tallan
I love walking the camino routes, but after 1,000 km or so I start thinking about my own bed and the comforts of home.
I was ready to stop after the 850+ km from Roncesvalles to Finisterre. But it would have been nice to be able to start again a few weeks or a month later. :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@Kiwi-family , not qute in the same league as lying.

I write this at Titahi Bay looking across the Strait to the northern tip of the South Island. It is later Saturday afternoon and I have been back exactly two months. And it has taken me two months to settle back into the local routines. As it did last year. And the year before.

Maybe my many neighbours know better. They either ask me where I have walked this year and/or where will I walk next in a matter of fact way. Those at the Anglo-Romano Sunday Mass in my village get my occassional email when I am away.

I have learnt to answer simly and directly (this year: Canterbury Cathedral in England to Chaumnont, upper Marne,, France. About 5 days from the Swiss border) or (next time: Chaumont etc towards Rome) dependiing on what is asked. That seems to satisfy even the most curious.

But it did take me a while to get down to a simple set of facts, said without emotion.

Rachel, kia kaha.

Since beginning our long road to Santiago, from Mont St Michel five years ago(!) we have only experienced 2 days of rain. This year we were starting our walking week much later than usual on October 19th. It was very special for us as our beautiful chemin through France was coming to an end, and our final 500 Spanish miles about to begin. I felt sure that the weather on our trek over the mountain would be a problem. However, the sun shone and enabled us to walk, climb and scramble over the mountain to Roncesvalles in one day from St Jean de Pied de Port. We four musketeers are 73, 67, 64, and 62 years old. We felt such euphoria as we wound our way down the Gr12 towards the Abbey. May God and Mary bless all our caminos.
P.S. Lovely memories of meeting Joachim and a lovely young French couple who met us at the Albergue many hours later. They didn' t think we would make it!!!!
Mary P.

You will have a great life experience my kiwi friend across the ditch

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I do love my family and friends. I really do. I miss them when I'm away. I like my house and garden. I (generally) enjoy the little bit of work I still do. I don't want to change my nationality or live anywhere else. But ... on the very day I got back last time (before even having a "get over the flight" sleep) I found myself researching cheap airfares.

Check out Sarah Dhoomer's videos on YouTube. She is walking the Ruta de La lana now.

Yep. I'm there , too.
Responding to,"Will you go back and finish the camino?" My mouth says, "There are lots of adventures to do." But my heart says, "Spring, 2019." This year is Appalachian Trail hiking. I say, "Only a week on the Georgia end. And Maryland. Oh, and, of course, pieces in Virginia." As you say, there are blank stares. After all, we only hiked 100 miles on the Camino. Even that changes our perceptions.
Yep, we'll be back. Lord willing.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks @Jenny267
I won’t be cycling, but I’m hoping to send my hubby (who cycles to work every day) and a friend. I’ll have a read and pass on useful info.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back