• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Today my first 15 Km training

YMR20

Time of past OR future Camino
(2014)
Hi, today i walked 15 km in 3 hours,
When I got home and took off my shoes, my feet were with red marks.
Anyone has suffer the same as I?ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1399490446.523996.jpgImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1399490459.023321.jpg

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
YMR20 - If it keeps up try putting your feet in as cold water as you can stand. They may be too hot and that will take the blood away from the skin.

It looks like an irritaton of the skin blood vessels, most likely due to the heat generated during the prolonged exercise. If is not itching badly or uncomfortable I would not worry too much about it. Like the above poster said, cold water and put your feet up for at least 15 minutes. As far as pace the average walking speed for a walker (younger than 50 years old!) is 5 Kms/hr. I think you need to slow it down a bit :). Many get hurt while training for the Camino because they do not pace themselves properly... I hope to see you out there! BUEN CAMINO!!

Unless you are trying to lose weight, there is no reason to race. If your goal is to walk long distances, then learn to pace yourself...

I just read something in a book (by Kurt Kootz), that goes along something like this...it's (the Camino) not about arriving but living!

My plan very easy is to get up with the sun, walk a little bit, have breakfast (either in a bar or on my own), walk some more, have lunch and probably stop around siesta time (love the idea about siestas), do a little wash, little journaling, have some nice conversation over dinner, and go to sleep. All this and taking in what Spain and the Camino have to offer!

Kris

Sent from my iPhone using Camino de Santiago Forum

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Unless you are trying to lose weight, there is no reason to race. If your goal is to walk long distances, then learn to pace yourself...

I just read something in a book (by Kurt Kootz), that goes along something like this...it's (the Camino) not about arriving but living!

My plan very easy is to get up with the sun, walk a little bit, have breakfast (either in a bar or on my own), walk some more, have lunch and probably stop around siesta time (love the idea about siestas), do a little wash, little journaling, have some nice conversation over dinner, and go to sleep. All this and taking in what Spain and the Camino have to offer!

Kris

I love this plan Kris !!!!

Lovely words!! Love your plans too! Kris! Thank you all, for your responds and advises!
I want to enjoy my Camino!!! That's why I'm training.

Is it an only an old wives tale which says that if you soak your feet in vinegar regularly, you will harden them up for the camino and therefore avoid blisters? Blisters are my biggest worry in July when I start!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
No worries if they were your FIRST 15km. The foot needs to accommodate to the stress. Actually its both ways - you brake in your footwear and feet as well. However as I understood you will walk in July, perhaps consider a pair of good sports sandals. good ventilation rules. Not being a dermatologist I guess your skin may need an extra attendance. For instance bepanthene or hydrocortisone containing ointment.

Is it an only an old wives tale which says that if you soak your feet in vinegar regularly, you will harden them up for the camino and therefore avoid blisters? Blisters are my biggest worry in July when I start!

May be winegar works if you walk barefoot. Anti-blister biomechanics is following -socks stick to the foot but slides against a boot. in order to maintain this you need all 3 components fitted and broken in. Feet, socks and boots. And take care of perspiration. Either walk in sandals or take off your mountaineering boots once a while and let the feet rest.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you all!!! This group provides a lot of help!!!
This happened to my husband when he started to train seriously for the Camino. He had major spinal reconstruction last year so when he started getting red blotches on his feet/lower legs we were naturally worried. Our doctor said it was heat related and the blood vessels, in his case, were getting used to exercise again. He had been wheelchair bound for 3 months prior to his operation. Once we knew it wasn't anything serious he persisted with walking and within 2 weeks it stopped happening. We do live in the sub tropics so it was quite warm even early in the morning for walking. He is now doing 15ks of hill work 3 times a week and there is no sign of red blotches. If it persists it would be wise just to have it checked by your doctor.

Over the Easter break my wife and I were on holidays at Hervey Bay QLD and walked 14km in 4 hrs, in 26 degC in jeans. It was an easy walk from one side of the bay to the pier midway and yes we did stop for Icream along the way. Any way I digress, I figure that 4 hr 14 km would equate to 30km per day with the right equipment.

Over the Easter break my wife and I were on holidays at Hervey Bay QLD and walked 14km in 4 hrs, in 26 degC in jeans. It was an easy walk from one side of the bay to the pier midway and yes we did stop for Icream along the way. Any way I digress, I figure that 4 hr 14 km would equate to 30km per day with the right equipment.
We are 10 minutes north of Hervey Bay and just love walking along the "Nard", stopping for coffee, lunch, and yes icecream, but it is flat so we are trying to walk the few hills we have nearby. My husband was so thrilled when he managed to do 20ks from the Pier to Pt Vernon for the first time about 2 months ago. We are leaving SJPDP on the 4th September. We are hoping he will walk all the way but won't be upset if he has to taxi some of it. We are just grateful that he can walk at all !

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks!! Today, it is better!!! I rest today to start again tomorrow with my walking training!! But after read your advise I will walk a slower pace!!

Kris

Kris:
I think your schedule is the right one. It is leisurely enough to be enjoyable but productive and will eventually lead to Santiago de Compostela.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I just read something in a book (by Kurt Kootz), that goes along something like this...it's (the Camino) not about arriving but living! My plan very easy is to get up with the sun, walk a little bit, have breakfast (either in a bar or on my own), walk some more, have lunch and probably stop around siesta time (love the idea about siestas), do a little wash, little journaling, have some nice conversation over dinner, and go to sleep. All this and taking in what Spain and the Camino have to offer! Kris Sent from my iPhone using Camino de Santiago Forum
Absolutely agree, Kris! We're two of a kind!
I average 3.5 kms per hour: take loads of pictures, talk to the animals I meet, enjoy numerous cafe-con-leches, a few bottles of wine, and those wonderful Spanish menu-del-dias. Take your time. Live and breathe the camino while you can.
The Camino Ingles can be walked in 9 days. I'm taking three weeks! And I'm off in four days time .... :)

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.