• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Toe caps and toe socks?

Nanc

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (Sept 2016)
SDC/ Finesterre/ Muxia (2016)
i am learning to love toe socks and am in the process of finding the toe sock / sock system that works for me. It changes as i am wrestling between shoes.
I also like the effect of gel toe caps too
The injinji socks dont look like they have enough room to accomodate the caps? Is it one or the other?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I am finding that there are minor issues with certain toes that i wished had a cap even while wearing injinji liners and wool overs.
One new observation today was the brooks shoes that came in 2E width, took my orthotic like a dream , is made with a mesh that allowed dirt ( dust?) from the trail ALL the way thru wool and toe socks. Suspect some of the weirdly placed burning may have been that dust rubbing.
NOW i understand how people can still be talking about shoes choices so close to leaving!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I've gone to the vaseline + Injinji toe-sock liners + wool overs system and found that it helped but didn't completely solve my problem with blisters on my pinky toes. I developed blisters on the third or fourth day of walking rather than the first or second.

The Injinji liners are pretty snug. I don't know how big your toe caps are but they might not fit. On the other hand, you might be able to stretch the Injinjis out to accommodate a cap. I know that's not an answer, sorry! :)

What kind of toe caps do you use? I've never investigated them before but it sounds like they're worth a try. I'd need one that comes sized for my pinkies.

There are both large and small. My little toe is an issue too and the small fit the rest of 5 toes even pinkie well. Not sure longevity on these kind of miles. Anyone know if they have seen them in larger cities??
( no I don't have 6 toes. Meant the other 4)

Last edited:
Hi there,
I`m doing the toe socks, over socks and a pair of Salomon hiking shoes. My husband is a runner and I turned him on to the toe socks a few years back and bought myself some at the same time. I find that the Salomon`s give me enough toe room within.

Here`s a link to them from my Canadian go to store. http://www.mec.ca/product/5040-074/...hoes-womens/?gclid=CKDRuMfHyM0CFZCIaQodBWoKLg Fairly certain you can find them at REI.

Good luck!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Would the toe caps fit over the Injinjis? When I wear regular liners, I use a foam pad between large and next toe on my left foot. With toe socks I don't normally need the foam, but every once in a while it does seem like that toe wants to cross over and I insert the foam pad outside the Injinji.

I`ve never tried the gel toe caps, but I assume they might fit over the toe socks. My socks fit quite snug.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I used both toe socks and a gel protector on my little toe (it wasn't a cap so I'm not sure what to call it - I got it from a podiatrist). Despite the toe socks, my little toe tends to get sore. I put the gel protector on top of the toe sock, followed by my compression socks, no problem. About 1/2 way through my trip, I stopped using the gel protector and just wrapped my little toe with micropore tape before I put on my toe socks. It worked great and is super cheap. The gel protectors are expensive and I stressed about misplacing them. Using the tape was one less stress.

BShea that sounds like what i was thinking. So using paper tape especially on irregular little toes doesn't cause it to bunch?

You only need a small piece of tape, just enough to barely wrap around the toe. It always stayed in place, basically became like a second skin and never bunched up. I couldn't ever feel the tape while walking. The best thing was that it worked immediately. As long as I wrapped my toe, I felt no tenderness.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.