• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Toe Covers and Insoles

lynnejohn

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances(2005), VDLP(2007), Madrid(2009), Ingles(2009), Sur (2011), VDLP(2011)-partial, VDLP(2014)
On previous caminos, I've been vexed with small blisters on the ends of a couple of toes - not serious, and they usually disappear after the first week using compeed and tape. (And my boots are big enough). Now that I'm preparing to walk the VDLP again, I would like to eliminate this problem if I can. I've seen various types of "toe protectors" that look as if they might help. Does anyone use these? What do you think? Have they caused additional problems?

Also I'd appreciate hearing about any favorite brand / type of insole, if you use them.

Thanks!

lynne

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I know - it does seem impossible - part of it is that my toes curl under to grip the boot in a kind of prehensile manner when I walk - and I know this is even more odd. So it's not so much my toes hit the end of my boot as they''re constantly gripping the sole of the boot...thought those little toe covers would cushion all that extra action.. :roll:

(Thanks for the link - it's a useful article.)

lynne

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
There is such a thing as a 5-toed sock (sometimes called a footglove), that is mentioned in footcare books for runners. That might be helpful.

I use the Superfeet insoles (bright pink variety), after I had 200 miles on the manufacturer's insoles. They made a huge difference!

quote="Kitsambler"]There is such a thing as a 5-toed sock (sometimes called a footglove), that is mentioned in footcare books for runners. That might be helpful.[/quote]

I've yet to try the 5-toed socks, but they do seem to get very good reviews, at least from MEC users.

Lynne, since you are in Canada, you might want to check out the Injinji Tetratsok Mini Crew Socks from Mountain Equipment Co-op (aka "MEC").

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_deta ... 4302888391

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I won't be walking my first El Camino until next year, but I do have a toe question. I hike in the Rockies each summer, and have had some problems with losing toenails because of a too-small toe box. I broke in a new pair of boots (with I thought was an ample toe box) this year in anticipation of El Camino next year. Nary a problem with blisters and no problem with toenails until this week, 2 months after my Rockies hiking, I suddenly lost a nail off my big toe. I assume it's related to my earlier hiking.

I did note with interest the link about lacing your boots differently. Any other wisdom? The problem in the Rockies, of course, is steep down-grades. I'm not sure how much an issue that is on El Camino once you are over the Pyrenees.

this long after your hike you have toenail issues? It´s probably some other shoe you are wearing. Been dancing in those Manolo Blahniks, maybe? Bought a new pair of shoes for tennis or racquetball, or new skates for hockey or ice dancing? If you damage your toes or nails, you usually have a good idea right away that something is up.

from Rebekah, whose toes have filed multiple complaints to international authorities...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Well, the story is (not that I'm a procrastinator at all) I have had these same little tiny blisters on both second toes on all my caminos since 2005.....as I pointed out, I've just expected them and after treating with compeed, etc for the first week, and then everything is fine. I think it was you, Annie, who earlier wrote about the gel caps and that's what got me thinking..."Hmmmm, I wonder if I could prevent instead of treat?" What a concept!

Wouldn't I just love if the problem was from my Manolos...

Sorry for the boring topic, but really do want to get the best "toe protection" as well as the best insole. Oh, and the biggest toe box I've found is Keen Targhees mid boot. I think Annie also recommends a NB shoe for that factor as well.

We should have a photo contest for The Ugliest Camino Feet. I would win hands ...er- feet down.

Thanks for your responses... I hope my toes don't hear about the complaints process, Reb!

lynne

I got blisters, especially going downhill, on the insides of my big and second toes that were caused by the 2 rubbing together. This was solved when I started using gel "toe separators" They are inexpensive and come in various sizes and shapes. No problems at all since I started using them.

Lynne, I have similar toe blister problems, not from lack of space in front toe box, maybe from too much space, but definitely more from rubbing against each other or maybe, against the top of boot.. These toe blisters were a real problem first camino, but since then I've used the gel tubing mentioned by Annie and foam caps (available in Australia) on 1 or 2 toes . . . as preventatives, with good success. Will use again on Vdlp next year, tho am hoping for great things with my new Keen Targhee 11s.

More than 1 or 2 toe caps might be too bulky, depending on space in boot, so I also need to check that too with the new boots. Have also thought of trying the socks with toes, but I wonder about the bulk of those also. :?

Lynne let me know if you have problems obtaining the tubes or caps. Cheers Carole

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Going to try these gel tubes in my training and see how they work. Ordering from amazon.com

Thanks all!

lynne

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...
We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
I’ve been trying to decide on a fitness regime in preparation for the Camino, but upon reviewing this board, YouTube, etc, there’s an overwhelming array of suggestions and programs, but I’m less...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.