• We are struggeling with some issues with images and attachments not loading on the forum. This is some left-over problems from the other day. We have back-ups of everything, so nothing is lost, we just need to link things up again so that it works. In short, we are working on it. Sorry! Ivar
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Toe Issues

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2016
I have been training for 4 weeks but only recently started to have issues with my 3rd and 4th toe (left foot). I remember i broke my 3rd toe about 7 years ago. I get like a cramp under the toe at the first join. I am trying to see a podiatrist before I leave, but was wondering If anyone has experience the same issue? I have train with the same shoes and socks, change insoles but still had the cramp which starts at about the 5th mile.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi could I suggest you pop in to see your doctor. Others may have experienced similar issues on the forum but could be for different reasons. Ie I have issues with my feet because of spinal injuries. Hope you get it sorted :)

Buen Camino

I have been training for 4 weeks but only recently started to have issues with my 3rd and 4th toe (left foot). I remember i broke my 3rd toe about 7 years ago. I get like a cramp under the toe at the first join. I am trying to see a podiatrist before I leave, but was wondering If anyone has experience the same issue? I have train with the same shoes and socks, change insoles but still had the cramp which starts at about the 5th mile.

I have a similar issue with an old injury on my left foot. I have changed the way I lace my shoe on that side and it seems to help.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
While training for my first Camino outing in 2014, I developed similar problems with my toes--to the point of getting cortisone injections in the foot pad area of each foot to help alleviate the discomfort. I discovered that the boots I bought for the Camino (light day hikers) were too flexible and not sturdy enough to adequately carry me and the weight of my backpack. I am accustomed to wearing sturdy-soled, light-weight hikers (Salomon Quest 4D 2 GTX) with more limited sole flexion. Once I discarded the light hikers and reverted back to my Salomon boots, the problem went away and I haven't experienced the problem in the 2 years since (I hike nearly every day, 4-7 miles).

I hope you find the solution for your issue before you begin your Camino, and that you have a wonderful Camino experience.

I don't think is the shoes, Salomon Cherokee trail shoes, I have been walking on them for almost 2 months. I actually think it was the shoes I wore recently, 4 -5 inch heels. I am trying to see the doctor before I go, I am being careful with what shoes I wear, I am giving my feet a rest and will go for a walk in 2 days. Hopefully it gets worked out before I leave. Thank you all for your imput

I think those who have broken toes or broken feet will give the best advice as my wife broke a foot 2 months ago & is still in recovery.
So just a thought, try some of the remedies posted, I know it will be an additional cost, but in the long run you may find what works for you.
My suggestion is to get a good shoe insert such as "sole" that will keep the shoe from flexing as much, also are your shoes a full size larger due to feet swelling? Also drink water like crazy.
All anyone can do is try different shoes, foot beds & socks then test them. But it does really get you down the trail in the end.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Please see a doctor. As you can tell, everyone has their own story and no two as alike. When that sort of pain after about 5 miles happened to me I would stop and massage the pain away but after a mile or two, it came back. A podiatrist discovered that my pain was coming from a pinched nerve and actually prescribed a pad for my insole. No more problems. I have since taken all of my insoles to the shop that installed my first one. Foot pain and remedy is definitely not "one size fits all".

Agree that you should see a doctor. However, I will share my own experience. I had surgery on my big toe 9 months before my Camino. My doc cleared me for the walk as long as I wore very stiff (and tragically ugly) New Balance shoes. During the walk I started experiencing sharp pains in both of my big toes. Initially I worried that it was from my surgery. But I ultimately realized that my tight calves were cramping up my feet.
I changed up my stretching routine to include MUCH more calf stretching and it helped a lot. I think that the lesson here is to experiment and see what works for you.

I don't think is the shoes, Salomon Cherokee trail shoes, I have been walking on them for almost 2 months. I actually think it was the shoes I wore recently, 4 -5 inch heels. I am trying to see the doctor before I go, I am being careful with what shoes I wear, I am giving my feet a rest and will go for a walk in 2 days. Hopefully it gets worked out before I leave. Thank you all for your imput
4-5 inch heels???:eek:
LOL
Did your feet say something to offend you, so you wanted to abuse them as punishment???
Take your heels and give them to some woman you really dislike...
;)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.