• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

"Toe Socks"

Bradbeyer

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino France's (2021)
Today is my 29th day on the Camino Frances, loving it all the way. A few years ago on the Appalachian Trail in eastern U.S. I discovered the wondrous world of toe socks. The brand I use is Ingingi. I'm not a gear tester and have no interest in the company. But as a 65 year-old chubby guy, I do believe they have made my Camino much more enjoyable by eliminating problems with my feet. They have a liner style with which you use another cover sock, and a heavier style. Hopefully this is helpful!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Toe socks were absolute game changers for me. Haven't had a blister since I started wearing them. Did 200 miles in 10 days a few years back without a single hot spot even. Before Injinji toe socks 8 miles and I would have several. I don't double sock either. Just toe socks and Aasics Gel Nimbus and my feet are happy, happy, happy!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Today is my 29th day on the Camino Frances, loving it all the way. A few years ago on the Appalachian Trail in eastern U.S. I discovered the wondrous world of toe socks. The brand I use is Ingingi. I'm not a gear tester and have no interest in the company. But as a 65 year-old chubby guy, I do believe they have made my Camino much more enjoyable by eliminating problems with my feet. They have a liner style with which you use another cover sock, and a heavier style. Hopefully this is helpful!
Thank you for sharing! Hopefully I’ll be doing my first camino (Porto) in Sept. I bought the toe liners & socks per someone else’s recommendation; it’s good to hear of yours!

Injinji for me also. I use the toed liners with midweight regular hiking socks one day. Then on the next, thicker Injinji toed hiking socks. I have one spare pair of regular hiking socks as my spares.
I use Injinji for running too.
They stop my toenails attacking the neighbouring toes. And they seem to reduce blisters too.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I love my injinj wool toe socks. I have worn other ordinary wool socks on top too without problems

I purchased a pair of Injinji toe socks as a back up "just in case" item, in addition to my tried and true socks, since so many people love them, but I have never needed to use them. I have read a few people dislike them as they supposedly have seams on each toe that can rub.

Thank you for sharing! Hopefully I’ll be doing my first camino (Porto) in Sept. I bought the toe liners & socks per someone else’s recommendation; it’s good to hear of yours!
My friend gave me a pair as we were walking. I tried them on a short walkabout on one of our days off. They were okay, but I never wore them after that. Now my buddy did have a blister issue start up cuz of a sole insert and he wore his one toe sock with the toe wrapped for several days and he seemed to like it.

He wore them till that one issue went away. The inserts were not original with those shoes. After figuring out that issue, he trimmed the edge down a little and the issue went away.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I loved my injinji toe socks as well, for blister prevention. I used the thin cotton liners. However, my feet got too hot by the afternoon, with two pairs of socks. Anyone use them alone? Are the wool ones designed to be worn by themselves?

I purchased a pair of Injinji toe socks as a back up "just in case" item, in addition to my tried and true socks, since so many people love them, but I have never needed to use them. I have read a few people dislike them as they supposedly have seams on each toe that can rub.
I got a big (but not painful) blister between my toes at the base from the seam rubbing there.
A friend suggested wearing them inside out to keep it from happening, but I haven't gone back to the toe socks yet.

I loved my injinji toe socks as well, for blister prevention. I used the thin cotton liners. However, my feet got too hot by the afternoon, with two pairs of socks. Anyone use them alone? Are the wool ones designed to be worn by themselves?
I use mine without any other socks. I find them to be quite fine. I do get blisters on my little toes but I think it is because of the way my feet are shaped with the toes turning outward. I am just going to put moleskin on them under the toe socks and continue using them. I am trying all sorts of things before I leave. I have bunions too and use bunion protectors under the socks. That seems to work just fine. My boots are a size bigger and if I went any bigger they would fall off my feet. I have a wide foot.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I’ve always assumed that the inevitable ‘bulk’ of fabric between the toes would be an issue. Is that not an issue?

. I do get blisters on my little toes but I think it is because of the way my feet are shaped with the toes turning outward. I am just going to put moleskin on them under the toe socks and continue using them
I wonder if Engo patches in your shoes would solve the problem for you? I have a friend that used them, and they really helped her.

BTW, @davebugg did an extensive review of Engo patches: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...blister-prevention-patches.70283/#post-927470

I also used Injinji and they are life savers, or at least foot savers.
Well worth buying.

I wear the trail running mid-weight ones. They're synthetic and lighter/less sweaty than the wool ones. I'm quite-blister prone and they work really well for me.

LOVE my Injinji socks... for the Camino i wore light merino wool socks outside the Injinji socks... worked like a dream for 5+ weeks across CF, to Finesterre and on to Muxia... happy feet...

I wonder if Engo patches in your shoes would solve the problem for you? I have a friend that used them, and they really helped her.

BTW, @davebugg did an extensive review of Engo patches: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...blister-prevention-patches.70283/#post-927470
Thanks for that, I will check them out. I am looking for the "perfect" setup before I go.

I use just the liners when it's hot. Works fine.

Like you, I learned about, and started using, the toe socks on the AT. I used them on my three previous Camino, and if conditions allow, will use them again in October when I start out on my 4th CF.

I bought two pairs of Injinji liners before a previous Camino and within 3 days had the start of blisters between my toes . Never wore them again. I do have some bent toes though so that could be the reason.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I’ve always assumed that the inevitable ‘bulk’ of fabric between the toes would be an issue. Is that not an issue?
Yes it is an issue. Some people love them, others like me hate them.
Very personal thing.
Our Oxfam team won a pair each, I gave mine to my team mate who was really happy to get 2 pairs.
They push my toes apart and are really uncomfortable - too uncomfortable to be able to walk in them.
She loves them.
I never get blisters on my toes anyway - even for an Oxfam event. She still gets them even with all the specialty socks she has tried.

I use Ingingi toesock liners with a good quality ankle sock over the top. Works like a charm. No blisters in 7 caminos.

Wearing double socks is a strategy to preventing blisters. Toe socks are only helpful if you have a narrow toe box in your shoe or are prone to getting toe blisters. Otherwise, a simple thin wool sock or sock liner is sufficient to prevent blisters. The science behind it is simple: the sock liner acts as a second layer of skin reducing direct contact thus reducing friction which equals blisters.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Wearing double socks is a strategy to preventing blisters. Toe socks are only helpful if you have a narrow toe box in your shoe or are prone to getting toe blisters. Otherwise, a simple thin wool sock or sock liner is sufficient to prevent blisters. The science behind it is simple: the sock liner acts as a second layer of skin reducing direct contact thus reducing friction which equals blisters. So toe socks may not be for everyone.

Another similar strategy is to apply paper medical tape to those areas where friction is most likely to occur: where your blisters normally appear. This is the same principle as the second layer of skin mentioned above. This is better if you are hiking in warm weather since you don't have to wear two pairs of socks. Medical paper tape is available all along the Way in pharmacies.

Another strategy for blister prevention is to apply underarm antiperspirant to the foot. The greasy antiperspirant stick will add lubricant and prevent or lessen perspiration.

Applying vaseline to your feet is another good strategy as it helps wick away humidty and reduce friction. This can be used with the underarm antiperspirant to the foot strategy mentioned above. First apply the underarm antiperspirant to the foot and rub evenly and then apply a small dallop of petroleum jelly and rub evenly.

Paper medical tape can be used in conjunction with the underarm antiperspirant to the foot and petroleum jelly butg make sure to apply the tape first.

So in conclusion, a sock liner or thin wool or non-cotton sock (wearing double socks) is a proven strategy of reducing the likelihood of a blister but it create a wamer environment for your feet which is not necessarily wanted during the hot months as this will cause your feet to sweat more and sweat is damp and damp increases the likelihood of a blisters. Though, double socking is a solid and proven strategy. Applying antiperspirant can reduce the amount of sweat and it will reduce the friction as will petroleum jelly. Paper medical tape allows the application only to those areas that are prone to blister formation or hot spots. this prevents a second sock layer and extra heat. It remains surprisingly well adhered to the skin even with an antiperspirant and petroleum jelly application to the foot. I have used this system and have walked 50 plus kilometer days without a one blister. As a matter of fact, I used this system in 2019 to walk the 810 kilometers of the Camino Frances and did not get one blister!

Last edited:
I’ve found durability is comparable to others thin socks. Another pro is it helps reduce friction between toes.

Decathlon have also started offering a model of toe socks, they are €10 in Europe. They are a medium weight synthetic, dry quickly and not too bulky. I will probably stick to my merino wool socks (somehow I’ve ended up with enough to start a sock museum…😊) for winter walking but these have become my new favourites for warmer days.

Attachments

• CF65ADFA-AD5A-4018-A9BE-D0DC5F52CC82.jpeg
    CF65ADFA-AD5A-4018-A9BE-D0DC5F52CC82.jpeg
    21.1 KB · Views: 6
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.