• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Toes socks

Athene

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2018
Hi there,
I have recently found that walking in toe socks is very comfortable. I am preparing to walk the Camino in September and know that I need to start training now in whatever I am going to use on the trail. What are the experiences with toe socks? Do you need a sock over the top?
Thankyou

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi there,
I have recently found that walking in toe socks is very comfortable. I am preparing to walk the Camino in September and know that I need to start training now in whatever I am going to use on the trail. What are the experiences with toe socks? Do you need a sock over the top?
Thankyou
I'm not fond of toe socks myself, but know others who do like them, I think it depends on your toes.
The main thing to take into consideration is that your feet will swell, I think 2 pairs of socks is likely to be too tight inside your shoes, unless you have bought them deliberately big with that in mind. I always buy my walking shoes 2 sizes bigger anyway (from a 38 to a 40) and seldom get blisters. But sheer time on your feet, heat and gravity will take its toll, and they will swell.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I love toe socks - I'm prone to toe blisters and other problems, so they really help. I wear Injinji trail running socks, rather than a liner+sock combination. I like the synthetic/technical material, but my husband prefers the lightweight merino wool version. Both types wick moisture and fit well in a trail shoe.

It's a good idea to train in whatever you plan to wear on the Camino, but there's no sure-fire way of knowing what will or won't work for you. Everyone's feet react differently to the cumulative effects of walking every day - so be prepared to adapt your gear along the way.

Happy planning and Buen Camino!

I use injinji toe socks in flip flops going around in the city for shopping when i have toe blisters to dry out - and/ or it is cold and raining. Loved them, had to buy some in Astorga.
Indispensable..
never tried them in boots, though, but would if my toes were really bad...
best of luck...

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi there,
Thankyou
Hola @Athene, I have been sold on toe socks for about 2 or 3 years. I wore mind on the Camino Frances back in May & June 2017. They and my feet performed 100%. I also wear two pair of socks - the toe sock inners and a thicker - outer pair (normal socks). Whenever I stopped for lunch or a coffee & snack I would take off my boots and outer socks and allow my fee to cool down. Cheers

Vaseline + injinji toe socks is my magic combination.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My husband loves toe socks. He is susceptible to little blisters between his toes. He also carries the gel lined toe tubes (they are available in Spanish pharmacies).

My husband loves toe socks. He is susceptible to little blisters between his toes. He also carries the gel lined toe tubes (they are available in Spanish pharmacies).
Good to know about the gel toe caps, where they available in all pharmacies? My sister suffered from blisters between her toes, all of them. She took some with her but not enough.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Use "Bola tentoes" and a thin woolsock over it. Worked for 10 caminos.

I like the Injinji Nuwool outdoor socks. I also wear the running socks for running and have for years. Not sure why it took me a few long walks to realize how great they are for that too. I go to the Injinji web site as they have more variety than most retail outlets.
Just one pair of socks no ointments and no blisters.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Injinji toe sock liners + HumphreyLaw Australian merino socks. Did not realise how much feet would swell until I walked the Camino Frances, even for a Winter Camino 12/17. Went one size up in shoes for training and no blisters, only to find blisters after 2 weeks on the Camino. Did what you’re not supposed to do and bought another pair of boots in Leon another size up (so 2 up from normal) and all was well to Santiago.

Hi there,
Thankyou
Hi there! I'm going to start walking August 29th. Just bought some Injinji toe socks and I'm going to start walking in them to see how they feel. Got them on Amazon. Maybe I'll see you there! Buen Camino!

Hi Athene, I am also planning to walk in September from StJPP. I'm in the US (New England) and planning to start training when the weather improves a bit. What are toe socks and where do you get them?
Hi there! I'm starting my walk August 29th so maybe I'll see you on the Camino! I ordered my Injinji socks from Amazon and I'm going to start walking in them. They are a little thin, so I may need to wear some outer socks too. Hopefully they will be as good as everyone says they are! Kate (Cayman Islands)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am Definitely in the toe sock camp. After walking 3 caminos with them, neither my husband or I had toe blisters. I used Smartwool lightweight toe socks with Wrightsocks (double layer socks) over that. Both were super lightweight and together were still probably less bulk than a regular weight sock. My husband had a different combo, but it did include Injinji toe socks underneath. Sadly, the version of Smartwools are no longer available and I have easily adapted/converted to the Injinji's original weight or performance 2.0. I really can't complain about them either so apparently I am committed to the idea that toe socks are the way to go.

To save weight (as I am obsessed by that), I use the no-show version of the toe socks and the mini-crew version of the 2nd layer. I do have the occasional issue of a pebble in my shoe, but it gives me a chance to stop and look around while I deal with the issue.

I will confess I find them so comfortable, that I wear them daily. :)

Happy planning and Buen Camino!

I use the merino liners with trail runners, no need for vaseline or gel or anything else

They just take a little longer to put on since you have to match all your toes to the socks!

It's a silly little ritual, but every morning I say "okay little piggies, everyone into their stall". It makes me smile, and as I smooth my toes into place, I take a moment to thank my feet for their efforts and wish them well for the day.

As a followup, I walk in Saucony trail runners as they are very forgiving/flexible when my feet swell a bit. I do take the shoes off during breaks, but the shoe's breathability keeps my feet aired out and fairly dry for the most part. I have taken to buying a half size bigger, but I am not sure if that if because the shoe itself has changed, or if it's my feet that have grown....

Last edited:
Injinji has merino wool socks. Check out their website. although I am not sure that they sell them outside the USA?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi there,
Thankyou

I have used Injinji liner toe socks for two caminos and thoroughly recommend them. The toe separation means no blisters. And you need good hiking socks on top.

Hi there,
Thankyou
Hi there,
Thankyou

I like toe socks myself and they do seem to help with the seemingly inevitable blister problems.
But, interestingly, I’ve walked a couple of Caminos with an older Swiss friend who swears that the Swiss way is NOT to change your socks at all, just let them dry out!

I was quite sceptical but decided to give it a go on the Ingles last year. Well, what do you know, far fewer blisters..... Now, this could have been because I now am much more careful with my feet.... but it seemed to work.
Of course the Ingles is relatively short so don’t know how this would go long term and we did not use albergues so no pilgrims were put at risk in the experiment !
Has anyone else heard of/ tried this approach?

Good to know about the gel toe caps, where they available in all pharmacies?

Not all pharmacies, but they are pretty common. Take a good supply with you if in doubt.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi there,
Thankyou
I used toe sox and smartwool sox over those on the CP in June 2017 with Keen H2 as my hiking shoe of choice. Not one blister did I experience. I also used bodyglide on my feet.

Hi there,
Thankyou
On my first Camino in 2015 I suffered horribly from day one with blisters. On my second Camino I used Injinji coolmax toe socks with merino wool socks over them and never had any blister problems at all. It is a bit of a chore trying to coax your toes into their proper slots every morning but a small price to pay.

Hi there,
Thankyou

I always Vaseline my feet in the am then use silk sock liners and wool socks over them. In my 3 Camino experiences the only day ever to get a blister was the one day I used toe socks. I’d walked with them at home, and heard others like them, so I brought them along. The second I felt a hot spot, I took them off and finished my day in sandals. The blister was caught early (on my big toe) and resolved quickly... but for me... no more toe socks. Buen Camino:)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
LOVED my Injis. During summer walking, I found a thinner sock selection worked for me to reduce blistering and for comfort. Wright socks and Lorpen also worked well, and I was able to purchase Lorpen at hiking stores along the Camino Frances. I wear off-road running shoes, not boots, and that should be part of your equation when selecting socks. Buen Camino!

my sweet spot? blister shield 1/4 package rubbed directly on each foot with wool toe light hiker weight

I’m a big fan of Injinji after walked France Route 2016 and Le Puy 2017.
Only got one blister, was the day I did not wear Injinji (wear silk liner that day).
I wear it under wool hiking socks.

Hi there,
Thankyou
I walked two Caminos - the Frances and the Portugues. I wore regular socks walking the Frances and had many, many blisters. On the Portugues, I wore Injinji toe socks and another sock over them and got no blisters. I would highly recommend the toe socks.

As distance runners, we swear by Injinji socks to stop blisters, especially with hot sweaty feet. If you visit the Australian online site you will see there are varying weight versions and length versions. They even have a full length compression sock version and 2 sock hiking version. I personally prefer the mid weight crew style as I hate dust and rocks getting down the gaps along my Achilles' tendon. My husband and daughter wear both the light weight and mid weight no-show style. Just be aware that the heavier you are the quicker they will wear out. I ordered a whole heap more for our April Norte when the post Christmas sale was on. And body-glide is available on the same site as a glide stick or powder version and won't gunk up with the dust that always finds its way through your shoes. My husband is a US11 and wears Large size and my daughter a US9 and myself a US8.5 and we wear the Medium. The only thing to watch out for on the crew sock is the tightness of the hem against the lower leg, which I fix by picking out the stitching to loosen it. If only we could get sponsorship with how much we promote these socks

I wear injinji toe socks for distance running too. On half marathons and further, my fourth toes on each foot used to have a tendancy to curl under and the nail cut/irritate the third toe. The toe socks have put a stop to that. My running mates are bored with me extolling their virtues! It surprises me that for all the extra cutting and stitching which goes into toe-socks, there doesn't seem to be a big price premium vs similar quality running/hiking socks.

I'm putting my pack together for some training hikes before my April Le Puy-St Jean PdP walking camino and am trying three variations: injinji thin liners with regular hiking socks, injinji midweight socks alone, and thin regular socks with hiking socks. If they all work for me on practice hikes, I might tolerate the little extra weight and take the four pairs, to allow me to rotate.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It's a silly little ritual, but every morning I say "okay little piggies, everyone into their stall". It makes me smile, and as I smooth my toes into place, I take a moment to thank my feet for their efforts and wish them well for the day.

I love this!

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.