• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Toilet Paper along the way

moldaviteman

Im loving my walk towards Santiago and im also loving the nature and beautiful scenery but im wondering why so many pilgrims have to leave piles of toilet paper all along the path, it not only looks unsightly but i simply cannot understand why people cannot pick it up and take it with them to the next town or city!!!
"Buen Camino"
:D :lol:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Unfortunately, this is a huge problem along the Camino and there is an entire thread about it.
Unfortunately, also, it is mostly WOMEN who do this horrible thing - and you can bet if someone did it in THEIR front yard, they'd be horrified.

My suggestion is to carry a hankerchief in a plastic bag and wash it out each night with your laundry.

If the thought of carrying damp or soiled toilet paper is a bit OTT, carry a medium sized ziploc back with some cat litter in it. Only dispose of the toilet paper, not the cat litter, which can continue to be used.

Regards,

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
In Western Australia the biblumin track is a track 900kms long heading down the south of wa and the rule is anything in must come out ,you do not leave anything on the bib track and 99% or people follow this rule. This is how it should be !!!!! There is no excuses for people leaving there own rubbish behind ,why should anyone else pick up after them ???? Hopefully i will be walking the camino from leon to santiago in sept 2015 and we will be following this rule.

99% or people follow this rule.
Fortunately, 99% of the pilgrims do not need to excrete on the Camino. Albergues and bars are sufficient for their needs. It is hard to imagine what the route would look like if each of the 215,880 last year defecated on the trail on each of the 33 days of the pilgrimage! For the 1%, it is an "emergency." While they should follow "leave no trace" procedures, it may well be that they did not plan in advance, and equip themselves with a trowel or plastic bags. Maybe the Gates Foundation will come to the rescue of the Camino soon:

The Reinvent the Toilet Challenge aims to create a toilet that:
  • Removes germs from human waste and recovers valuable resources such as energy, clean water, and nutrients.
  • Operates “off the grid” without connections to water, sewer, or electrical lines.
  • Costs less than US$.05 cents per user per day.
  • Promotes sustainable and financially profitable sanitation services and businesses that operate in poor, urban settings.
  • Is a truly aspirational next-generation product that everyone will want to use—in developed as well as developing nations.

I would just like to add that many of the bars I came across seemed to be lacking in toilet paper. It would behoove a pilgrim to carry a roll with you.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I would just like to add that many of the bars I came across seemed to be lacking in toilet paper. It would behoove a pilgrim to carry a roll with you.
Exactly! Twice, upon exiting a toilet, I informed the in-going woman that there was no TP. The first time, the woman smiled sweetly and said, "I have some in my pocket," as did I. The second time I warned the in-going woman, she giggled, then went to an adjacent table and helped herself to some serviettes. :confused::eek::mad:

Also, I don't think pilgrims should complain to the bar keep if there is no TP in the toilet. Let a local do that! ... in my not so humble opinion.

It's actually the same thing which I never did understand. And if I may I would give the comparison with acting in mountains: some character bring a tin-can of beer (that's 0.5kgs) up on 2,500mts and after emptying it (hoooray!!!) that can ends up there. Upon emptying that tin-can it weights almost zero. Why the hell leave it up there??? I mean people can bring it up with its full weight but are unable to take it down the mountain empty...
A mistery too me...

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back