• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

toilet paper???

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Can be very useful to have if you're caught short between towns, and if the albergue toilets run out in the middle of the night!

Instead of taking toilet paper, I carry little packets of facial tissues which can be replaced easily at supermarkets or farmacias, and are not quite as obvious as toilet paper. I keep one packet in my bumbag, and a couple of spares in the backpack.

I too took half a roll but never needed it. Having said that I would still take some-better to have and not need than need and not have.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Trudy said:
Instead of taking toilet paper, I carry little packets of facial tissues which can be replaced easily at supermarkets or farmacias, and are not quite as obvious as toilet paper.

I do the same thing Trudy, each time I travel.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I did eventually develop an automatic reflex to make sure that there was toilet paper prior to u know what... Best, xm 8)

Renata, toilet paper IS a must.

To minimize space used, remove the cardboard tube inside. It will compress and keep for a long time in a plastic bag.

Never walk into a toilet on the camino without it.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Definitely but not a whole roll - I always carry tissues with me anyway (a hangover from being a parent). Like the idea of face tisuues packs.

Actually, I will be selling disposable toilet seat covers in my shop soon as some of those toilets can be a little worrying (not refuges but City ones for instance)

Winds of change I'm afraid - I am on my way back to England now. Currently I'm up near Calais making notes and taking photos for an article I'm writing for a UK magazine (not pilgrim stuff).

The Camper Cafe on the Camino worked rather well for a while - and was lots of fun - but although the Guarda told me I could stay where I was and all was well, a chap came along and complained and the Guarda came again and told me I would have to move - which was ok as the Camino is long. But the chap got rather upset that they wouldn't arrest me or fine me and said that I would just move a few kms along and start again (first aid post and welcoming and so on but supported and financed by my doing a basic cafe) and insisted that all my details were put onto the national computer - which meant that I was rather stuffed. The police were very nice and rather embarrassed but said that I musn't be questioned for the same reason again - in all my plans I hadn't catered for this situation so have had to end that plan, which is why I am returning to England. Ivar thinks, and I think he has it right, that this chap was involved in a bar or something in the next village (though it was 2 hours away). I think yes to that but also I felt that there was a definite feeling that he was unhappy that I wasn't Spanish - immigrants and so on....

There you go - life! I was lucky enough to meet lots of pilgrims and we had such pleasant meetings - loved it.

Maybe I will return next year under a different umbrella. Perhaps if I can save enough in the UK I can 'do' a season for free in 08.

So, fellow pilgrims, that is what where I am at the moment. Would seem that, regardless of my idea of plans, God wants me to be doing something else - I just do wish that he'd give me a clue about the next section of my life (it's so difficult to know what to pack... ).

I have decided to enlarge my online shop and to stock items from more religions - a sort of small online department store of religious jewellery/items. To this end, when I get back I will be opening my new domain, SacredGifts.co.uk alongside my PilgrimsSupplies.org shop.

So, all is well, I just will have to remain 'virtual'

Bless

David

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Br.David: Commisserations on your unplanned departure, I was looking forward to seeing you in ausgust-assuming I make it that far from Le Puy.

Ooops! just noticed that this post is under the heading of 'toilet paper'!
no offence meant!

hoho- can't do without it though!

Yes, sorry about that - do hope all gores well with you - Le Puy!! wonderful.

Enjoy - and keep us informed

thanks Br David

Br David, sorry things did not work out.

It felt encouraging that you were around on the Camino answering my posts when I was walking in all that treacherous weather beginning of this month.

Good luck

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I, too, would like to know if one needs to bring toilet paper.
It does come in handy! You can lessen the weight of a roll by removing the inner cardboard core. A few small packs of tissues make a good substitute for a roll..

It does come in handy! You can lessen the weight of a roll by removing the inner cardboard core. A few small packs of tissues make a good substitute for a roll..
Ok, thanks. I will bring 4 little rolls I bought at the sporting goods store. Will that be enough?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Some packing lists, I notice, mention taking a roll of toilet paper. Is this REALLY necessary?
Renata

You could always use your hand.

I would suggest following the example of the Arabs and use your left hand. That way your food won't smell too funny when you use your right hand to eat it with as most of us do.

I would recommend that you always carry a roll when travelling. It saves you the decision making process of figuring out which hand is what when you find the washroom you are in has run out.

You could always use your hand.

I would suggest following the example of the Arabs and use your left hand. That way your food won't smell too funny when you use your right hand to eat it with as most of us do.

I would recommend that you always carry a roll when travelling. It saves you the decision making process of figuring out which hand is what when you find the washroom you are in has run out.
The first part of your answer is not proper nor kind.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@Providence, I was just wondering what on earth has got into @whariwharangi, and to plead with him to have a heart, given that you are a newcomer to the Forum. When it comes to certain members, one must take everything they say with more than just a grain of salt. Especially, when it comes to bathroom issues, some folks revert to 'potty' humour. Please don't take offence. o_Oo_O:rolleyes:.

By the way, welcome to the Forum :):)

On a more serious note, it is a good idea to always have a stash of TP in your pocket so you are not left in need if you find yourself in a toilet that doesn't have any.

@Providence, I was just wondering what on earth has got into @whariwharangi, and to plead with him to have a heart, given that you are a newcomer to the Forum. When it comes to certain members, one must take everything they say with more than just a grain of salt. Especially, when it comes to bathroom issues, some folks revert to 'potty' humour. Please don't take offence. o_Oo_O:rolleyes:.

By the way, welcome to the Forum :):)
Thank you for the warning and for the kind welcoming.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Ok, thanks. I will bring 4 little rolls I bought at the sporting goods store. Will that be enough?
Take a mostly-empty roll, and remove the cardboard core to save weight! Or, since you have the 4 rolls, leave three of them at home. You can buy more in Spain.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks for the advise.

Carry it in a ziploc to keep it dry and carry another ziploc for the purpose of bringing used toilet paper (and so marked so it doesn't get reused for another purpose) to a proper disposal (should that be necessary ... don't leave it in the shrubbery). Further, a full roll weighs hardly more than a half roll or one without a cardboard tube.

Harmonizing intentions with doings gives one character, dear one. I had the feeling deep inside you were a kind person. Stay beautiful at all moments.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.