• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Toilet roll: to take or not to take

Time of past OR future Camino
30 March 2017
Good Evening Camino-ties, greetings from Halifax UK. My two boys and I set off on the Camino Frances 3 weeks tomorrow! We are buzzing!
Previously before Christmas members on this forum helpfully reassured me that we would do well to get lost, hostels did not need prebooking and we could have a reasonable expectation of successfully walking the CF in 30 days of walking. My next BIG question is:
Do we carry loo roll?
Unimportant in your world maybe, but vital in mine. In the Special Education world in which I work, planning for toilets is vital! Please can you advise?
Thanks
Martin

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Good Evening Camino-ties, greetings from Halifax UK. My two boys and I set off on the Camino Frances 3 weeks tomorrow! We are buzzing!
Previously before Christmas members on this forum helpfully reassured me that we would do well to get lost, hostels did not need prebooking and we could have a reasonable expectation of successfully walking the CF in 30 days of walking. My next BIG question is:
Do we carry loo roll?
Unimportant in your world maybe, but vital in mine. In the Special Education world in which I work, planning for toilets is vital! Please can you advise?
Thanks
Martin

Yes I always carry some. First, you never know when you get caught short. And it has been known for pilgrims to steal the toilet roll from cafes and albergues. Many mornings I have woken up to find all the toilet roll gone! If you do toilet in nature please please take your used toilet roll with you in a bag to dispose of properly!

Davey

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yes I always carry some. First, you never know when you get caught short. And it has been known for pilgrims to steal the toilet roll from cafes and albergues. Many mornings I have woken up to find all the toilet roll gone! If you do toilet in nature please please take your used toilet roll with you in a bag to dispose of properly!

Davey
That was my plan. Thanks Davey. Good advice thanks, as you never know

Do we carry loo roll?

For goodness sake, what a question! You must always take a toilet roll. I have never ever needed it; I pack it at the beginning; I unpack it when I get home; but there may be, one day, a “just in case”.

TAKE IT!

Jill

Yep you can find many places that have run out or do not stock. When you get into some areas they have pay loos that require change but have no seat on the porcelain & no TP. So keep it with you if you leave your pack at the sleep site & go exploring or even out to the lighthouse at Finisterre.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
So, there you are. You got up much to early this morning and you had all sorts of stuff to deal with. Sorting out your sons; making sure everybody had washed their faces and cleaned their teeth and done the necessaries and hadn't left anything on, in or near their bunk. Then you checked out the weather outside and the chances of breakfast sometime before lunchtime and had anybody left anything on, in or near their bunk. And then you set out in, hopefully, the right direction and somewhere down the road you find that perfect (open) bar and you order that perfect cafe-con-leche and then you remember that you have needs too. And you head for the necessaries: and you discover that the low-life, scum-bag, un-pilgrim in front of you stole the loo-roll...

Yes. You carry loo-roll on the camino. If only to pass a few pages to a fellow peregrin@ in need ;)

I always carry a pocket pack of Kleenex for that purpose. The plastic pack helps keep it dry and it easily fits in a pocket. Keep it with you at all times unless you are swimming or in the shower. Toilet paper has a way of disappearing in the albergues especially in the early morning hours.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
A roll in a ziploc. Nothing more demoralizing than wet bog roll.

A ziploc marked 'used tp' ... so marked so you don't later put your snacks in it ... for the purpose of carrying used tp to the nearest toilet should needs be.

There is nothing that requires the roll retains its round. Squeeze it flat. This is actually beneficial should you need the roll whilst on a hillside.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Pocket tissues. Then they are always in your pocket. Because it is when you least expect it that you find there is no loo paper. But never, ever, ever, leave tissues or toilet paper behind on the trail.
Danger I burn mine but we don't want that topic going crazy. Forget the word burn.....:cool:

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Choose the softest paper you can find, though, because then it can also be used for your dripping nose when you pick up a cold on the way...

Do we carry loo roll?
Thanks
Martin
Hey-up Martin, oap this 'elps, yorwkshire lad ;-) I know where you're coming from with this one. I'm going against the grain here - I've never taken a roll (shock-horror!) I find them too cumbersome, get easily wet and in the way in the old pack, and easily forgotten somewhere. My recommendation is small packs of good tissues - I keep one or two packs tucked into in my trousers/shorts/jacket, a couple in the pack and one with my toiletries. I've never been caught-short, forgotten to take some to the loo or bathroom, and they're easy to replace in the local shops, and always there for a runny nose. But find your comfort zone! If you're in a group maybe mix-'n-match. Good luck! Buen Camino :)

Way back Andrex sold mini length paper in a plastic wrapped pull out roll. Went in a pocket easily. We carried them and also a pack of paper hankies. Part used rolls with the cardboard tube removed work well too. Has anyone seen the mini travel rolls lately?
Toilets in Spain don't cope with some paper - bins are often provided. If so do use them rather than blocking the plumbing. Wipes of any type should never be flushed.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Do we carry loo roll?
Thanks
Martin

Bring a small rool, and small shovel to bury same. Plenty of shops in Spain

I have used a pocket package of tissues as a field expedient pressure bandage. When I made the mistake of attempting to step over a meter-high wire fence in 2014, while wearing my rucksack (it made me top-heavy), I fell over the fence onto my forehead.

It is a good thing nothing important was inhured...it was only my head, and it is said often that my brain is on the other end...;) But it did bleed rather profusely.

After rinsing with bottled water and determining the wound was an abrasion instead of a puncture wound, I pulled the fresh packet of tissues and one of the two handy dandy Buffs i carry regularly, from a rear pocket. I positioned the unwrapped tissues over the wound (the entire package), then put the Buff on to hold it in place. Presto...instant pressure bandage! I washed my hands and soldiered on for the remainder of the day.

Loo roll, toilet paper, TP, or whatever euphemism you use to describe this very necessary invention is something you can find a myriad of uses for daily. Beyond the obvious hygienic uses, you can use it as facial tissue (in lieu of packaged tissues) all day long, to clean eyeglasses, to dry hands after washing (which you should do at EVERY opportunity), and in an emergency, as a bandage (in lieu of gauze) or even as an emergency fire starter. I am certain there are other uses I am not thinking of at the moment.

I usually obtain mine in RENTED accommodation (hostal, hotel, etc.) where a resupply is in the room. Please NEVER take the last roll of paper from the toilet area in an albergue. Imaging the horror of the next person to come along and REALLY need it! :eek::eek::eek:

I hope this helps.

Always carry a toilet roll and a light weight plastic trowel to dispose of any stuff i.e. bury and do nor burn. An alternative is use a sealable plastic bag to carry it to a point where you can dispose of it in a sanitary manner . On some stretch's of the CF the local people are pretty annoyed by people just leaving their stuff for all to see. This really is a big deal for them!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You guys surely don't carry a whole roll, do you?! I carry a small amount - the end of a roll, squished flat so it is only about 1 cm thick.
Very small. not likely I will use it, but just in case... I have only needed it once on a long strecth on the VdlP, But I always carry it though.

For goodness sake, what a question! You must always take a toilet roll. I have never ever needed it; I pack it at the beginning; I unpack it when I get home; but there may be, one day, a “just in case”.

TAKE IT!

Jill
I've never needed it either...guess I have "long distance tanks". I don't carry it for this reason, and I've never actually been in a situation where it's missing or run out either. Sounds like I've just been very lucky...

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

TAKE IT!

Jill
Don't worry Jill. It's on the spare bed along with the other essentials! Dock leaves don't appeal!

So, there you are. You got up much to early this morning and you had all sorts of stuff to deal with. Sorting out your sons; making sure everybody had washed their faces and cleaned their teeth and done the necessaries and hadn't left anything on, in or near their bunk. Then you checked out the weather outside and the chances of breakfast sometime before lunchtime and had anybody left anything on, in or near their bunk. And then you set out in, hopefully, the right direction and somewhere down the road you find that perfect (open) bar and you order that perfect cafe-con-leche and then you remember that you have needs too. And you head for the necessaries: and you discover that the low-life, scum-bag, un-pilgrim in front of you stole the loo-roll...

Yes. You carry loo-roll on the camino. If only to pass a few pages to a fellow peregrin@ in need ;)
Thanks for the advice . That reply certainly made me smile. It deserved a double like actually! I will be happy to be the Perfect Pilgrim and pledge not to be a nicker of bog roll, but rather a joyful giver!

€46,-
Hey-up Martin, oap this 'elps, yorwkshire lad ;-) I know where you're coming from with this one. I'm going against the grain here - I've never taken a roll (shock-horror!) I find them too cumbersome, get easily wet and in the way in the old pack, and easily forgotten somewhere. My recommendation is small packs of good tissues - I keep one or two packs tucked into in my trousers/shorts/jacket, a couple in the pack and one with my toiletries. I've never been caught-short, forgotten to take some to the loo or bathroom, and they're easy to replace in the local shops, and always there for a runny nose. But find your comfort zone! If you're in a group maybe mix-'n-match. Good luck! Buen Camino :)
Nice one Ralph. I have managed to avoid the Yorkshire lilt, though 'Arry and Jaaaaaaaake from 'Alifax are pretty proud to be from Yaaaaarskshire.....and thus talk like it!

A great question with great answers. We did get off the track a little - about what to do with the waste & paper! For me I have a small fold-up trowel so I can, if necessary, dig a 200mm hole to bury the waste and paper. So far I have been lucky & not needed to use it. Best wishes for a great Camino for you & your boys!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
For the information of everyone, I just weighed a cardboard tube, and found that it weighs all of 5 g.
Useful info for those concerned. :) It wasn't the weight, for us, it was the fact that without the tube it flattened and went in the pack or pocket better. Also the reason for carrying a half used roll (or 2) - better than a whole roll. Still love our little mini packs best - we still have a couple left because we bought a whole lot a year or two ago.

Should you take toilet paper? A question easily answered by another , Have you ever wiped your bum with leaves and grass ?
There are flat toilet paper packets with interleaved tissue that take up very little space . The paper is a little harsh , but effective none the less .
Available from commercial cleaning suppliers .

I've never needed it either...guess I have "long distance tanks". I don't carry it for this reason, and I've never actually been in a situation where it's missing or run out either. Sounds like I've just been very lucky...
Yes you have been!

€60,-
Luckily in Spain we don't have the leafy hazards from your neck of the woods :)
It's hardly Gympie Gympie but I know someone who had an 'interesting' time of it between Triacastella and Samos...wandering behind a tree and squatting in a nice lush patch of nettles. (She came from a place where there were none...:oops:)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Davey
I carried light weight dog poop bags with me for that very purpose! Yes, both TP and something to carry the used TP in.

Do we carry loo roll?
Thanks
Martin
Camper's toilet paper. The package at Wal-Mart includes 3 rolls (solid, not cored) and a lovely plastic clamshell. If you bought "Charmin to Go" back when it was available, you may still have that clamshell. The clamshell fits into the belly bag with room for the regular-sized water bottle as well...nose of bottle sticks out but that's okay. (I put my credencial and my PP in a separate zippered pocket on the same device. That way nothing important gets left behind, as the pouch is on me when I enter the bathroom or the albergue or anywhere else in fact. Like the Marine Museum in Madrid, where you have to show ID to enter as it's in a government building.) If you look at the place you shop for camping supplies you should find it.
Buen camino to all of you.

For all my expeditions/camping including the Camino I have a roll of TP in my pack. It starts as a whole roll from which I have removed the core (easier to squish) placed in a freezer ZipLock back (why freezer? because it is sturdier). What I don't use gets packed for the next trip. Eventually the roll gets smaller through use. It is good insurance in the event that wherever you stop you will always have something to wipe your bum and can also be used to wipe the nose. No need to purchase specialty camping toilet paper.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
For the information of everyone, I just weighed a cardboard tube, and found that it weighs all of 5 g.
...butt think of all that air!

(reference to a poster on here who insisted that if you rolled your clothes to exclude air that they would end up 'lighter'!)

Do we carry loo roll?
Thanks
Martin
I carry a couple of packages of those 'kleenex' for your purse - have for many years because when you need it you need it and it isn't always available.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

TAKE IT!

Jill
Me too Jill. In fact the roll is probably 10 years old but has become an old friend I carry on every trek. Crazy I know but it has come in handy for others from time to time.

Happy trails

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Me too Jill. In fact the roll is probably 10 years old but has become an old friend I carry on every trek. Crazy I know but it has come in handy for others from time to time.

Happy trails
Should I pack a ten year old roll of TP, it would be at the bottom of my pack and the butt of many jokes. Maybe it would be better in my 'fannypack'? (bumbag for the non Americans)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Two things you'll notice right across Spain along the Camino . . . yellow arrows/shells to mark the way and little piles of toilet paper behind nearly every bush, tree and secluded spot.
Yes take it with you but also think about taking some dog poop bags or ziploc and dispose of you waste carefully.
Show some respect for your host nation and try not to use it as an open toilet please!

Ah! the infamous "furtum peregrinus".
While working at Rabanal I went upstairs with a fresh pack of 12 rolls of toilet paper to check on the state of supply.
Somebody collapse downstairs with heat stroke do I dropped rolls and ran off to sort things out.
When I got back upstairs every roll had been stolen . . . as you say very un-pilgrim!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Just in case nobody has mentioned it before: Also carry a ziplock bag to carry used toilet paper out/off the Camino to the next bin.

Buen Camino, SY

Do we carry loo roll?
Thanks
Martin
Take it! I haven't read all the other replies, but when you are walking and waiting anxiously for the next coffee stop to use the servicios, and you walk into the bathroom and the toilet paper is gone.... you will be so happy you brought some.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Following the gist of Imsundaze's
perceptive comment be sure that the tp is either in your pocket or money bag and not packed in your backpack left outside. Be prepared!
Another great thing about those big pockets on the Macabi skirt.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.