• We are struggeling with some issues with images and attachments not loading on the forum. This is some left-over problems from the other day. We have back-ups of everything, so nothing is lost, we just need to link things up again so that it works. In short, we are working on it. Sorry! Ivar
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Toiletries, some ideas how to reduce their weight

zsit

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances + Fisterra (April-May, 2012)
Camino Portugués (April-May, 2014)
I did the Camino from Saint-Jean to Muxia last year and thought to share a few ideas about toiletries.. Even if you try and reduce them to the bare minimum (very smart decision :wink: ) there will be a few things you will need to carry for the daily hygiene routine. Now, this is my tribute to the brand called Lush here! (You may have heard of them already they are a handmade, "green" cosmetics company and their shops can be found all around the world.) They have some things that could radically reduce the weight of the stuff you carry:
- Soaps: I chose a bigger piece, cut it in two and used one for showering and the other one to wash my clothes when no washing machines were available. Most albergues do have washing machines though along with drying machines, don't worry :) Anyways, washing your underwear and socks is quite easy with soaps.
- Solid shampoo bars: Lush offer a big variety of solid shampoos, these look like small round soaps but get amazingly foamy when you add water. Best thing, really! They weight only 55 grams and last very long.
- Toothy tabs: One of my lovely Camino friends showed them to me and again they serve as the traveler's best friend kind of a thing. These are basically tooth-cleaning tablets (1 tablet for 1 occasion) that go in a variety of ingredients and flavors. They are packed in small cardboard boxes, each 12-grams-box containing 40 tablets.
Using these will also make your life easier if you don't want to check-in your rucksack at the airport. (However, you may want to bring a small army knife and walking poles that will force you to do so.)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Have you been through my pack? For body/clothes soap, I'm bringing a Dr Bronner bar. Love the Atomic Toothy Tabs.

There was a guy who did the entire Great Divide Mountain bike route, Canada to Mexico without a shower.

It saved some weight, though he probably didn't get share any tent space.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I put shampoo, suntan'lotion and bodylotion in empty urine sample containers from the hospital. And I use a small bar of soap, a sample size toothpaste and a sample size deoderant. It works very well. However I do every year maximum two weeks on the camino

Sent from my GT-I9070 using Camino de Santiago Forum mobile app

Make toothpaste drops. Squeeze little drops of toothpaste on a sheet of foul and let dry for 4-5 days. Then toss them with a bit of baking soda and keep in a little plastic bag. To use, chew on one for a couple of seconds with a bit of water and brush. One little drop is enough for one brushing.

not every personal recommendation is bought and paid for by Big Shampoo's marketing department...

"Sometimes it is not the actions of others that need to change ... it's my own attitude!" markss writes in another post.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
It may well be a PR job but the reaction was way over-the-top. It's happened before and people just said they reported it to to mods, end of. The products are still amazing, I've talked about them for 2 years and I am going to buy them and I recommend pilgrims do too

I was influenced by a post on another thread re shampoo/conditioning bars and got so excited / ordered them online and then put them to the test. They were terrible - stripped my hair of any oils - both shampoo soap and conditioning bar - my hair (which is normally very soft) felt like straw and I couldn't comb it at all!! Lesson learnt! Never again!

I am totally shocked and appalled by markss' over-reaction. This is not the welcoming forum I am used to.

I think I know zsit (I like to think I might be the "lovely Camino friend" she mentioned who introduced her to Toothy Tabs), and knowing her, she would enthusiastically share tips that she found helpful. She is one of the kindest, most ingenuous people I know. As a neophyte, she wouldn't necessarily "know" what's an acceptable level of "advertising". Besides, I'm not so sure mentioning brands is such a crime.

And after some of the mean comments here, I wouldn't be surprised if she leaves (or is gone by now).

Shame!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
OUCH - some of the comments on this thread are REALLY tough on someone who's posted on the Forum for the first time AND wanted to pass on some helpful tips. I for one will be acting on them.
Maybe zsit didn't know about the Forum when she (I guess zsit's female) walked the Camino last year. Despite being part of the Class of 2012, I wasn't aware of the Forum until I was introduced to it earlier this year via another source - thanks always to them for their kindness.
Camino Yogini - thank you for standing up for your Camino friend zsit - she sounds like a lovely person. The truth of a situation generally tends to come out and in this case it's your post that's done it. Good on you.
Cheers - JennyH94, Sydney, Australia

We all have our favourite makes. We enthuse abour Rohan clothes and Corrymoor socks - would markss call this advertising?? We have no connection with either firm except as happy customers

Sadly I find Lush shops make me sneeze, but know folks like the OP who are really enthusiastic about their products and the ones mentioned make sense.

My own solution is to take a small bar of soap, or remains of a bigger bar and a 100ml bottle filled with shampoo (2 if going for more than 3 weeks) I can wash me and my clothes in either. for toothpaste a tiny pot from a travel kit, nearly filled, will last all Camino.

Personally I hope that this thread remains in place, although maybe some of the posts could be removed or edited :)

I too thought this was an ad and was surprised anyone bothered to comment it.
It's only about one company and their products.
Reding it again this morning (I thought it would be deleted already) and it looks even more like an ad.
There used to be a lot of fake ads on Lonely Planets forum. Especially on the Asia part.
Usually there was a new member pretending to be a traveller who wanted to recommend a special hotel, a special restaurant, guide or porter. They were deleted quickly. Some days these ads were maybe 50% of the posts and incredibly irritating.
I would never by anything from a company who posts false ads. When it's comes to Lush, that's no problem because the smell from their products is so strong I have never managed to enter a shop because my nose starts dripping.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
NINCHA - thanks for the idea about drying the toothpaste into little drops.... will try that.... it will save me having to take a tube maybe.. worth try

One can always take that which one needs from a post / thread and disregard the rest

Annie

CaminoGen, I'm glad others also had good experiences with these things. Of course it is better to test first I guess.

Nincha, this is a great idea thanks for sharing! I like homemade solutions :) Do the drops remain solid in higher temperature as well?

Markss, to be honest I was also thinking if such "advertising" is okay on a forum like this but then I saw other threads where specific products or brands were mentioned. I recommended these with my best intentions because they worked very well for me.

Camino Yogini, wow, this is a Camino miracle again :D How did you find me here? Yes, it was you of course! Thanks so much

Buen Camino everyone

Hola, Miss Zsit,
The Camino never ends. Yes, another miracle. I don't read the forum every day nor do I read all the posts. I only went to this one because I've been pondering how to reduce the weight of my toiletries when I go back this fall. Solid soaps didn't work for me though -- they turned into soggy messes in their case because I had to put them on the floors of the showers when there weren't shelves.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Ivory

99 44/100% pure (for the old timers--it floats)

Your hair will not feel like it has had conditioner on it, but it will be clean.

A sample size tube of toothpaste will last a Camino. Think about the amount of toothpaste you probably swallow when you brush over a sink. Use only that amount, and brush sitting on your bed! Swallow. You free up a sink, conserve water (especially those who run the tap while brushing), and the tube lasts nearly forever. No need for self-made toothpaste drops, and your dentist probably gives away free samples.

Moderator Note:

The OP has replied and appears to be acting in good faith. The benefit of the doubt shall go to the OP.

Several personal attack posts have been deleted and others edited a bit.

Play nice.

For two years now, I've used the Eco-Dent tooth powder on my month-long walks. Since water is weight, and weight is your enemy, going with dry versions of any toiletry is a huge improvement. One bottle lasts 3 months with twice-daily usage.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006ON9NA/?tag=casaivar02-20

Now, if someone would come out with a dry contact lens solution I'd be home free!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I make my own soap, and use it to wash my hair and body, so I suppose it will also work to wash my clothes too when I go.

I plan to take a bar scented with essential oils which repel mosquitoes and hope for the best!

I will also take travel toothpaste and buy more along the way when I need it. Deodorant, sunscreen, homemade hand sanitizer and a disposable razor will be the extent of my toiletries

Lush...Yes! They are awesome! I used one round that fit nicely into a little aluminum round box that I also bought from them. Lasted me the whole Camino and I used it for everything. I had to bring toothpaste because I have gum issues and the toothy tabs were a little hard on me. I didnt walk the Camino to make a fashion statement. As long as I did not smell offensively and my clothes were relatively clean I felt OK about where I went. We're pilgrims, we stand out no matter what. Less is more, lighter is better.

I have actually searched the forum for 'Lush shampoo' because I wanted to find out which ones people have found good or not so good. Mostly people say they took a Lush shampoo bar, but not which one ... So in the end I went to the shop, spent some time, and the staff suggested I wash my hands with a piece in store to see if it stripped my skin of moisture. In the end I bought the Seanik bar, both for the discrete smell and because it has no bits in it - if you want to use it for shampoo, bodywash and clothes, you don't want little bits of rosemary twigs in there! I also bought the round tin, but that was a nightmare as the bar fit too well into it and I couldn't get it out with wet hands, plus it took ages to dry and became a gloopy mess by Carrion des Condes. I recommend getting the square tin instead, it makes the bar easier to get hold of, and allows for more air to dry it out between showers. Leaving it under your bunk overnight is a good idea if you have one that doesn't smell too strongly. After I gave up on the Seanik I bought a small travel size shampoo instead, but I still think the Lush - or other brand - solid all-in-one shampoos are a brilliant idea. The Seanik bar kept my hair clean and fresh, and between it and natural drying the Spanish sun it really brought out my curls. I would recommend it for use on the Camino.
I am going away shortly for a trek with tent, sleeping mat, more food and water etc, and have to save weight anywhere I can. I went back to Lush, decided the Seanik was for the Camino (one sniff of it sends me right back), and bought the Karma Komba instead because I love the smell - and patchouli is supposed to be an insect repellent! I have already started using it, and it works really well with my hair and leaves it soft and shiny. I will also be taking the Toothy tabs (Dirty) and a generic brand small crystal deodorant instead of a scented one. They really work both on armpits and feet ...

Edit: Not everybody likes or loves the scent of the Karma Komba - my walking mate didn't - so I'd recommend getting the Seanik, Montalbano, Lullaby or Brazilliant instead as they have more subtle scent.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I actually reported this post myself as I could not make up my mind whether it was an advert or not.

I would advise zsit and any other new posters not to make their first post commercially biased but post in the intro section and allow people to get to know you. It is a red flag to a moderator to see that the first post by a member is possible SPAM and one's first reaction in obvious cases is to delete the post and ban the member. The OP has still (27/6/03) only made 2 posts both in this thread.

Interesting and tough call. I feel any first post extolling the virtues of a product "available in stores around the world" is extremely suspect. If I were to do stealth marketing, I'd try to write it like that post.

On the other hand, it turned into a good thread, with good info, and some people who found the product less than wonderful chimed in.

I have a friend with a Chinese clone of top line white water rafts. We ran some serious rivers in that boat, but when he posted that in a forum (not his first post) it erupted with charges that he must work for the company. Perhaps those posters worked for the expensive raft makers.

I guess we always need a bit of an internet filter on.

PS I have sold many people on the Garmin Dakota GPS, but I don't work for them. I send out Pm's on where to find cheap but perhaps not so well documented software for them.

I didn't read it as an ad and didn't notice until it was pointed out that the OP was new.
I've seen the Lush brand recommended in a number of posts on this forum and others. Not to mention all the posts about specific brands of socks, shoes, raincoats, guide books, etc.
We have a Lush store opening near me soon so I will check out the shampoo bars. If they don't work well I will probably just bring or by in Spain a small shampoo and conditioner (dry, frizzy hair not good). Body wash or soap might be too harsh to wash my hair but I can use shampoo to wash my body and my clothes. Conditioner is also good for a in shower moisturizer and shave cream.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I may be responsible for the "available in stores around the world" comment since Zsit clarified to me that Lush was available outside North America. But how did the solid soaps/shampoos fans keep them from becoming soggy blobs? I had the square tin; admittedly I crammed it full with Trichomania shampoo & a solid conditioner that may not be available anymore. So lots of water dripping in while digging out product. Also, did you have the tin in the shower or outside the curtain/door/spray? There weren't many dry places to put stuff. I was more concerned about keeping my valuables and clean clothes dry.

Interesting that so many here are such big fans of Lush. I looked at their website once and the fact that the first ingredient listed in their shampoo bar for thinning hair is sodium lauryl sulfate (what makes many people's hair fall out quite a bit when using certain shampoo brands like Pantene) drove me right away from considering them.

So for those of you who are fans, which products do you like? They seem to have an awful lot of solid shampoo bars to choose from.

I use the Seanik bar in the square tin box, lined with a paper towel. I doubt using 1 bar every few years will make your hair fall out.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks, CaminoGen. Actually, if you're sensitive to lauryl sulfate (not everyone is) the effect is immediate, but it doesn't make you go bald or anything--just lots more hair in the shower drain, and for most people your hair grows back in as soon as you stop, so it's not that big a deal. Sorry if I gave the impression it could be causing bald pilgrims everywhere.

My daughter and I took one bar of Castile soap from Caswell and Massey for body, hair, and clothes.
http://www.caswellmassey.com/castile-so ... mentId=118
We shared the one bar and it lasted for three weeks. It was very lightly scented I believe. Also got one of the small tubs used for nuts or bread crumbs from Whole Foods to carry it in and would leave it open by my pack all night to dry. Never got soggy and the tub was much lighter than a soap tin.
Next time will likely just buy a bar of the Spanish black soap and replace as I walk. Should be easy to find in any store on the Camino.
Rambler

I do not work for Caswell Massey ...

I have bought some of the various small paper sheet type soaps/laundry soap/shampoo.. I haven't seen these mentioned much on threads.. Has anyone tried them???

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I took some clothes washing paper soap with me in case the shampoo bar didn't work. The problem is you need more than one sheet to wash a set of clothes that has been soaked in sweat and dust, and once your fingers are wet it is hard to separate them and they go gooey with any moisture. Not a good idea in my opinion, I'd rather opt for good old fashioned washing powder in a small bottle - that way it won't get wet - if you don't want to use the same soap or shampoo as you use in the shower. Do some practice washes after a practice walk and see how you go!

Hello All,

This is not an advert, repeat, this is not an advert, just my humble opinion. :)

I have yet to walk the Camino but leave in 49 days, whew! A coworker suggested (and gave me a bottle of) Dr Bronner's Magic Soap. I've tested it on hand washing clothes and I love it. I have the 18-in-1 Hemp Lavender pure-castile soap. I love the smell and the fact that using just a small amount for each washing gets the job done. This can also be used for body wash and hair. I will opt out on the shampooing with this product as my hair is long and requires regular shampoo and conditioner to keep it soft and silky. When traveling in the past I tried other products for my hair, never again. I have to stick with what my hair knows and will have to buy along the way as my 3oz's of each (carryon limit) will go pretty quickly. :)

Thanks to everyone for all the wonderful ideas. There is much to keep in mind as I get final prep in order.

Gob Bless and Buen Camino :arrow:
Angela

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I tried those leaves of soap and found them quite useless. I just took a bar of normal toilet soap and cut it in half. I wrapped it in plastic food wrap each time I used it and it never went gluggy. When I needed more soap I bought another bar and gave half of it to another pilgrim. It worked well.

Tumbleweed:
I use the dr bronner's peppermint everyday to shower and love it! We considered taking the bar of soap from dr. bronner's , but decided it would not last the whole way.
The liquid soap is great...except it is heavier than bar soap and easy to over use. I did a test at home for one week with the liquid and one week with the bar. I determined that I would use over an ounce more liquid for the same washing over the same week.
I really did count my ounces on our trip. Going with the bar soap saved us 6oz. This year I will take a smaller bar of soap from home and buy a Spanish black soap when it runs out.

BTW, there was a documentary made about Dr. Bronner that was strange but interesting. It used to be on Netflix if anyone was interested.
Rambler

Rambler said:
BTW, there was a documentary made about Dr. Bronner that was strange but interesting. It used to be on Netflix if anyone was interested.
Rambler

Hi Rambler:

My co-worker also mentioned the documentary. I will have to look it up. What do you carry your bar of soap in?

Thanks much,
Angela

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We got one of those small containers from Whole Foods that you get granola or candy in.
http://pureblissnutrition.files.wordpre ... =300&h=225
It was the lightest container we found. After washing, we would put it beside our packs, open, to dry out. The soap never got mushy and the container held up well, which had been my biggest concern.
Not sure yet what my son and I will take next summer. The Whole Foods contain will be too big for a smaller bar.

Rambler

My Washing System.
A smallish plastic bottle of hair shampoo that rinses out quickly & completely (no conditioner).
OK for washing your hair.
A little splodge on a plastic net wash ball/cloth gives plenty of suds for a good body scrub/wash.
A little splodge in a 1/2 sink of hot water is fine for clothes washing.

Buen Camino
Gerard

suzenripley said:
I have bought some of the various small paper sheet type soaps/laundry soap/shampoo.. I haven't seen these mentioned much on threads.. Has anyone tried them???
The sheets are OK but have some drawbacks.
1) Get out what you need with dry hands or the others will melt and stick together.
2) Mix them in the water (this is a nuisance if the water runs away quickly) and not by applying to your clothes as they concentrate in one place.
3) We seemed to need several to get our clothes clean so decided that a small bar of soap (hotel mini size) was as light and more effective.

Now we usually keep a small piece of soap each from a bar at home and take that in a plastic bag. However if you already have the sheets I would say use them, and maybe take a bit of rubber (about 3" diameter) for a plug as few wash areas seem to have one.
That and about 100cc of shampoo (which can double as wash liquid) worked well for us too.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have been reading through some of the posts on this thread and there are so many great ideas. For certain there are some things that I will change for the better and lighter pack.

I would like to tell you that in May and June when I traveled the CDN, - which by the way doesn't have many albergues with washers and dryers- I used J.R.Liggett's Old-Fashioned Bar Shampoo for bathing and shampooing as well as for washing my clothes. My hair is long and yes, I agree that it is important to detangle your hair before stepping into the shower. I had no problem, and my hair was silky and had no residue.

Another idea that a fellow backpacker shared with me years ago, made me change how I brush my teeth when I travel on the Camino or backpack. Falcon mentions the importance of saving water and swallowing the toothpaste (using a small amount of TP). I simply use Listerine Strips; I place one in my mouth and brush my teeth. The strip dissolves, it kills 99% of germs and leaves your breath fresh, and nothing to spit! And best of all it weighs very little! Oh, and I do use a travel size toothbrush :)

Ultreia!

Mary

Using Listerine strips sounds like a brilliant idea. i think i will try that before i go to see how i like it. Thanks Mary!

cheers,
Phil.

manoll said:
I simply use Listerine Strips; I place one in my mouth and brush my teeth. The strip dissolves, it kills 99% of germs and leaves your breath fresh, and nothing to spit! And best of all it weighs very little!
I agree with Phil, what a brilliant idea, I must give it a trial run.

Rambler said:
a documentary made about Dr. Bronner that was strange but interesting.
Rambler
Rambler: I finally watched the documentary. What a strange, dare I say brilliant individual. "All One, All One!" :lol:

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.