• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Packing Toiletries for Lightweight Travel on the Camino de Santiago

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I’m wondering what others pack in the way of toiletries when considering weight?)
As little as possible, but whatever you need to be comfortable. For me that consists of small versions of: tooth brush, tooth paste, comb, bar soap (used also for hair and laundry), hand lotion, sun screen. Then, any necessary prescription medications, and a sampling of first aid items. You might also want disposable razors.

Of course all of these items can be bought along the Camino, but I prefer to have enough so I don't have to look for a pharmacy at an inconvenient time.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
In addition to the basics listed above by C clearly e anti-diarrhea medicine and pocket packs of tissues for toilet paper. There is nothing worse than diarrhea on the trail first thing in the cold morning air!
Agreed! That is in my sampling of medications, along with ibuprofen, and antihistamines!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Good evening and welcome to the Forum! from Norway to down under. It is pitch dark and snowing here.

What @C clearly listed, except hand lotion and razors (I'm a beard man). You may, however, want to shave your legs, arms, chest, and private parts regularly, in order to save weight, though... :cool: Also cutting nails often, for the same reason.

Yes, minimal amount--I actually have a tiny plastic container (<3/4 inch high x <1/2 inch diameter) and I portion out my toothpaste into it based on how many days I will be away, so I don't take more than needed. I use Lush shampoo bar, a small bar of soap, Neutrogena's solid sunblock, a bar of lotion made from Shea butter, a tiny canister of Green Goo foot care, and a very small chunk of Zote soap to wash my clothes. Technically the only things TSA requires me to put in my clear baggy are the toothpaste and the Goo, so I toss in some little packets of hot sauce (to use when I am in Scotland) and maybe a packet of Justin's almond butter just for treats.
Toothbrush, comb, dental floss, a few Q-tips.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I use a shampoo bar for shampoo and washing my body. I have long thick unruly hair, so I need some kind of conditioner. I really like the bar conditioner that @JillGat makes - it's the best solid conditioner that I've tried. She also makes a solid shampoo bar which is excellent. She has an Etsy shop - I don't see the shampoo and conditioner currently listed, but you can make a request for it.

...items can be bought along the Camino, but I prefer to have enough so I don't have to look for a pharmacy at an inconvenient time.
There's a lot to be said for trying to take enough of what you use. Not only does your pack become lighter as you proceed but you can almost guarantee if you need to replenish something along the way, you'll only be able to find it in super jumbo family size! 😯 😆
👣 🌏

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Along with toothpaste and a toothbrush, I'd recommend dental floss (also useful for minor equipment repairs).

As one who is chemically sensitive (particularly to odors, such as perfume, cologne, detergent, etc.), I carry a mineral deodorant stick (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N57GXQA/?tag=casaivar02-20). I prefer not to stink while walking, sitting, eating, etc., so combining this with a merino wool shirt helps keep the odor down.

I also carry my soap in a plastic soap caddy (the type with a string, so I can drape it over the shower head while accessing the soap - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KBH7KK/?tag=casaivar02-20).

Fingernail clippers highly recommended.

Shaving/beard trimming tools are optional (as is a comb).

A quick dry towel is essential. It also comes in handy to squeeze water out of clothes before hanging them up to dry (roll wet clothes in towel, squeeze/press, then unroll and hang everything up to dry).

Instead of soap, use shampoo. Started with a hotel size bar of soap. When it was gone, I switched to using shampoo for hair, body, and it also worked great for washing clothes. I just bought a new small bottle when I needed one. The small size is available in most parts of the CF. Sometimes allergies sell it.

C clearly nails it. I agree some lotion, other than sunblock, is needed. At least for me. It is the one thing I didn't bring and had to buy when my hands and feet started cracking and my legs were so dry then itched.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Good morning (from Australia-:))
I’m wondering what others pack in the way of toiletries when considering weight?)
Planning on heading off from SJPP late April … first time and looking forward to the walk.
Thanks
Hi, get two or three small plastic squeezable tubes from any travel or outdoor store, fill them with shampoo, conditioner, some liquid soap, and you are covered. Also purchase a travel size tube of toothpaste. Hair brush, tooth brush. I also take a face cloth...and a ziplock bag for it in case I have to carry it damp. Outdoor store will also have lightweight towels, take one. You should be able to fit everything into a small, fabric toiletry bag....( except the towel). Two or three spare ziplock type freezer bags can be very useful, not just for damp stuff, but for snacks like cheese. Enjoy your Camino....best wishes from Canada!

I forgot to mention, Vaseline for your feet, and others have mentioned lotion...a must, ( put some into one of those small squeezable tubes I mentioned above), and ditto a good sunscreen. A small roll of toilet paper for emergencies should be in one of those ziplock plastic bags.

Last edited:
Planning on heading off from SJPP late April … first time and looking forward to the walk.
Thanks
Pack as little as possible with one exception: One roll of toilet paper in a ZIP lock bag. You are backpacking not gooing to socials.

Thanks
Hi Austin.
Shower Gel and toothpaste. Nothing more.
just as a guide, in case it well help. On my first Camino I carried 12/13 kilos. when I go t home i threw to one side everything i didn't use. I then had 8 kilos. That is all I carried the next 3 times. Don't overpack and remember you are never too far away from somewhere you can stack up if you need anything. I
I should mention I also carry a toilet roll. I have never had to use it but I have supplied toilet paper to a number of fellow pilgrims who have needed some.
Buen Camino
Vince

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am of the mind that it is the portable/travel toiletry bag that separates us from the animals. That being said, all the advice you have been receiving to keep it minimal, is dead on. Depending on the route, most can be found...eventually. Have a wonderful time. Peace

C clearly nails it. I agree some lotion, other than sunblock, is needed. At least for me. It is the one thing I didn't bring and had to buy when my hands and feet started cracking and my legs were so dry then itched.
Same for me on my first Camino. I was planning to use sunscreen and my conditioner bar which contains oils on my skin while I was damp from the shower, but it wasn't enough, so I bought a small tube of cream.

Hi, get two or three small plastic squeezable tubes from any travel or outdoor store, fill them with shampoo, conditioner, some liquid soap, and you are covered. Also purchase a travel size tube of toothpaste. Hair brush, tooth brush. I also take a face cloth...and a ziplock bag for it in case I have to carry it damp. Outdoor store will also have lightweight towels, take one. You should be able to fit everything into a small, fabric toiletry bag....( except the towel). Two or three spare ziplock type freezer bags can be very useful, not just for damp stuff, but for snacks like cheese. Enjoy your Camino....best wishes from Canada!
Bear in mind though that you are very limited as to how much liquid you can take into an aircraft cabin in carry-on luggage so make sure that you don't go over the total limit.

For conditioner when my hair was long I used a tiny drop of olive oil rubbed through the ends of my hair, and it's just as good as a skin lotion. Olive oil is dead easy to get hold of in Spain of course, often in little bottles. Snce I lost all my hair to chemo I've kept it cropped very short and I must admit that makes it very easy to take care of, just a swipe of any old soap or shampoo does fine.

For towels I like Turkish style woven ones, they are nearly as light as the microfibre ones, cost about 1/3 of the price, and feel much nicer to use. They dry as fast too. And they make a pretty good sarong or loin cloth.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
From my packing list:
Toiletries Bag

• Travel size tube antiperspirant cream
  • Travel size tube Sunscreen (fill with SPF 100)
  • Travel size tube shampoo
  • 1X bar soap in plastic bag
  • Toothbrush
  • Toothpaste (1X new travel size)
  • Disposable razors (4X?)
I found some lightweight silicone tubes on AMAZON that work well. They have wide flip top caps that screw off for easy refill. They are color coded to help tell them apart. I plan to buy more of their contents along the way and refill as needed. I have no problem buying a larger quantity than will fit into the travel size tubes and leaving the excess behind in an albergue for others to use.

Note that the antiperspirant cream saves a lot of weight compared to plastic roll-on containers. You use less per application and one travel size tube contains enough to last for the entire camino. I use ZeroSweat brand (AMAZON). I've also seen recently that Dove sells a similar product you can pick up in drug stores.

For shaving, I find that bar soap works well in place of shave cream while backpacking. Al little drying to the skin, but saves lots of weight and I find that daily use of sunscreen cream acts as a moisturizer to compensate. For sunscreen, I go with the highest SPF possible so you don't need as much. Banana Boat Sport Ultra is my favorite.

Here's the travel tubes that I use but I've seen lots of other similar products. These work well for me:

In addition to the basics listed above by C clearly carry anti-diarrhea medicine. There is nothing worse than diarrhea on the trail first thing in the cold morning air kms from any pharmacy.
Gastro-stop (or equivalent) ! Almost no weight but if you need them, you need them!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Bear in mind though that you are very limited as to how much liquid you can take into an aircraft cabin in carry-on luggage so make sure that you don't go over the total limit.

For conditioner when my hair was long I used a tiny drop of olive oil rubbed through the ends of my hair, and it's just as good as a skin lotion. Olive oil is dead easy to get hold of in Spain of course, often in little bottles. Snce I lost all my hair to chemo I've kept it cropped very short and I must admit that makes it very easy to take care of, just a swipe of any old soap or shampoo does fine.

For towels I like Turkish style woven ones, they are nearly as light as the microfibre ones, cost about 1/3 of the price, and feel much nicer to use. They dry as fast too. And they make a pretty good sarong or loin cloth.
Currently researching Turkish towels and would greatly appreciate any advice from experienced pilgrims on size and brands etc. Ideally, I want a lightweight, multipurpose towel that lifts my spirit with its quality and colour! I am happy to pay for such a thing, if it exists?!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
This is a good, very multi-purpose product for use on hands, feet, lips, hair, etc.

Note that it is way cheaper in the store, about $4, but may only be available seasonally, winter being dry skin season. It doesn’t melt or leak out of the tin. Two ounces is a good size to carry around. No petroleum-based ingredients.

As for travel deodorant, for some time now I have been doing this:
I use up a stick of my favorite deodorant.
I use a tool of some sort (pen knife, chop stick, etc.) to extract the remnants out of the base of the stick holder. There is a lot left in there. You can also just cut chunks off the stick.
I put the scrapings in a very small plastic jar. REI sells some naglene jars or you could easily repurpose something. I have been using an old film canister.
Now for the tricky part … I very carefully heat it in a microwave for maybe about 5-10 seconds. I stand there and shut it off almost as soon as it starts. This melts it just enough so it forms a solid mass.
I apply it with my finger tips. I experimented with adding a little unscented lotion to make it a bit softer, but found that isn’t really necessary. It makes a very compact, zero-cost travel deodorant. I don’t use as much without a stick smearing it all over. Just a little dab will do. A film canister sized jar (with remnants from several sticks) will last me for a month of travel. ymmv.

Soap berries/nuts for washing clothes. They weigh so little they barely register unless I use a digital scale. I take 12 with me on 6 week camino. I use them in batches of 3 and each batch lasts me several loads -- you pitch them out when they start to fall apart. I carry them in a swim googles mesh bag so they can dry in the day while hanging off my pack.

I do not carry flip-flops because I think that are a sure way to break my neck. Instead I take a small tube of clomotrazole 1% and use that after the shower to kill off anything that might have been in the showers.

If you have really fine hair, take a conditioner bar as well as a shampoo bar. (both "dry" they weigh very little and will last the whole journey). If you have the kind of hair that never ever tangles (mine makes a bird's nest of itself if I so much as lift the towel off the wrong way), then don't worry about conditioner. But seriously, I tried on my first trip to treat it as "an extra" and lived to regret everything that had led me to that decision. ON the upside: conditioner doubles as shaving emollient.

The rest: same as above comments.

Last edited by a moderator:
A small roll of toilet paper for emergencies should be in one of those ziplock plastic bags.

Pack as little as possible with one exception: One roll of toilet paper in a ZIP lock bag. You are backpacking not gooing to socials.

If you are into zip lock bags then take some empty ones so that when you use that toilet paper you can pick it (and anything else) up and take it to the nearest town with a rubbish bin rather than leaving it on the trail.

In addition to the basics listed above by C clearly carry anti-diarrhea medicine. There is nothing worse than diarrhea on the trail first thing in the cold morning air kms from any pharmacy.
Couldn't agree more! Already have a supply packed and have scoped out how to buy it along the Camino. Here's a link to a great site for finding the Spanish equivalent to many common US OTC drugs. It's called "Pill in a Trip". Here's the page to Imodium:
Alternative to Imodium in Spain
The best equivalent of Imodium in Spain called Diarfin. Analogue has exactly the same ingredients, pharmacological group.
You can buy Diarfin (alternative to Imodium) in pharmacies of Spain.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Currently researching Turkish towels and would greatly appreciate any advice from experienced pilgrims on size and brands etc. Ideally, I want a lightweight, multipurpose towel that lifts my spirit with its quality and colour! I am happy to pay for such a thing, if it exists?!
Google "peshtemal" or "fouta" - they come in two thicknesses:

the thicker herringbone weave

and thinner open weave

The different style of tassel will show which is which.

Various sizes although 6ft x 3ft (or there abouts) is a popular size and the thin ones weigh in at about 290g. You can get smaller ones but . . .

Can be used as a towel, sarong, lunghi, pillow wrap, scarf, sweat rag, shawl, head wrap, bed cover, picnic tablecloth . . . dries quickly and comes in many, many styles and patterns.

And no, I don't sell them! ;)

Fingernail clippers highly recommended.

I'm trying to pare my toilet kit down to the bare minimum and wouldn't consider leaving these out - keeping toenails trimmed is a crucial part of foot care on long distance walks! While spendy, these Green Bell Japanese nail clippers are superlatively crafted and have served me in good stead for many years, as opposed to most cheap drugstore ones that last a few months before breaking.

Currently researching Turkish towels and would greatly appreciate any advice

On my last visit to Istanbul several years ago I found Jennifer's Hamam, a shop run by a Canadian woman that sells the most beautiful, high-quality range of peshtamels and other Turkish towels. She works with old-style artisanal weavers and while they aren't the cheapest towels out there they have proved to be amazingly durable over years of regular use and I can't recommend them highly enough.

There is so much excellent advice and sincere recommendations in this thread that I may have to amend my own practice. I’ve always relied on the plethora of abandoned large containers of shampoo, conditioner, soap bars and liquids and other useful unguents that I’ve never considered the need to carry my own. If every new pilgrim follows the advice given here I’ll have to consider carrying my own 😉

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
When you need it you will not be in the mood to go searching for it. I remember one night in an alburge when in the middle of the night you could hear alot of running and bathroom door slaming. In the morning a previously prestine bathroom now looked like a battle field. It seems to have impacted a group of young pilgrims that partied earlier that evening. But not the mom of one of them who did not party with them. Its a bug that goes around and I can't remember it's name.

Bar of shampoo, also used as soap and to wash clothes. Small tub of toothpaste, toothbrush of course. Shaver. Tweezers. Small nail scissors. Comb.
I think that’s about it….
I also pack anti sun lotion. Can’t think of anything else.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
At home I've been testing Dr. Bonner's Castille - Almond to use and have decided on it. I use it for hair, body, face (I'm female) and I've handwashed my clothes in it. It works very well and a few drops go a long way. It's a liquid, not a bar, but a very small bottle has lasted me a month so far. You definitely need a conditioner with it so I've saved one of the tube conditioners from my hair coloring. I have short hair so I think one tube will do the trip. I've also been testing a micro dish towel and it seems to work great. I paid $3.00 for it at Walmart. I might get a second smaller one for my hair separate.

Thanks
I took this and packed it with: toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, small comb, small scissors, 2 disposable razors, soap, small shampoo, anti-bacterial ointment, zinc oxide. The organizer was great because it includes a small mirror and an integrated hook which allowed me to hang it in the shower. A great product that I continue to use on any outdoor multi-day trip.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
  • Regular size toothbrush
  • Regular (not too small, not super large) toothpaste
  • small nail clippers
  • small, but sturdy, comb
  • travel size plastic tubes with shampoo, conditioner
  • regular size bar of soap in container
  • small baby nail clippers (one of the handiest items I carried)
  • laundry soap "sheets" in a zip lock baggie
  • small, lightweight, plastic clothespins, maybe a dozen
  • micro-fiber towel
  • lots of other little things but these are the "toiletries."
Interesting thing with the shampoo and conditioner. Of course, you run out during your walk (depending on how long you walk, I'm thinking the maximum distance here). You can only carry so much, but you don't want to pay so much more for a small size when a large size is a bargain. What to do?

When you run out, buy the large, cheap size. Fill your now empty travel size tube. Leave the large size in the albergue bathroom for the next pilgrims who may be needing your shampoo and/or conditioner. You never know, what goes around comes around, and you have a clear conscience.

Worked for me.

The definition of toiletries can embrace a lot of stuff. I carry a cut down toothbrush, small tube of toothpaste, dental floss, small comb, 100ml tube of shampoo/bodywash, disposable razor and small bottle of shaving oil, packed into one of those small amenities bags the airline gives you on a flight. These are what I consider to be toiletries, however there other items which I think of as first aid items - mouth ulcer gel, sunscreen etc. - which are a separate category.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Toothbrush and toothpaste, shampoo bar (also used as soap), comb, natural salt crystal deodorant, sometimes a cheap disposable razor or two*. Related: sunscreen, toilet paper in zip lock, small med kit (including antihistamines and imodium).

* I used to just not shave and grow my beard on Camino. When I made a personal sello, with a picture of me clean shaven (the same picture I use for my forum avatar) I was more inspired to shave on Camino.

I went with a large microfiber camp towel to save weight, but I love the Turkish peshtemal towels similar to this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P6M9NVD/?tag=casaivar02-20
I can get away with wearing it while doing laundry and it feels much nicer than microfiber, dries quickly, and looks nice!

From all the lists I am reading, I have everything that I will need. Here in the states, I purchased a lot of my backpacking gear from REI. They have a liquid soap that is triple use...body wash, shampoo and laundry. It is concentrated so a little will go a long way. It is called Campsuds.

I don’t use a toiletry bag on Camino. A ziplock bag inside a super light small packing cube ( I use an oblong shape with zipper) saves a few ounces.

I haven't done my first Camino (May, hopefully!) but I really prefer toothpaste "pills." They don't leak, don't make a mess, and don't count against your liquid amounts on the airplane!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have this internal debate going on about bringing my electric toothbrush. I have always just brought a lightweight toothbrush like most everyone else. But I do notice by the time I return home my teeth aren’t as clean as they usually are. My next Camino will be about 2 months long from LePuy to Santiago.

Has anyone else taken an electric toothbrush?

This is a good, very multi-purpose product for use on hands, feet, lips, hair, etc.

Note that it is way cheaper in the store, about $4, but may only be available seasonally, winter being dry skin season. It doesn’t melt or leak out of the tin. Two ounces is a good size to carry around. No petroleum-based ingredients.

As for travel deodorant, for some time now I have been doing this:
I use up a stick of my favorite deodorant.
I use a tool of some sort (pen knife, chop stick, etc.) to extract the remnants out of the base of the stick holder. There is a lot left in there. You can also just cut chunks off the stick.
I put the scrapings in a very small plastic jar. REI sells some naglene jars or you could easily repurpose something. I have been using an old film canister.
Now for the tricky part … I very carefully heat it in a microwave for maybe about 5-10 seconds. I stand there and shut it off almost as soon as it starts. This melts it just enough so it forms a solid mass.
I apply it with my finger tips. I experimented with adding a little unscented lotion to make it a bit softer, but found that isn’t really necessary. It makes a very compact, zero-cost travel deodorant. I don’t use as much without a stick smearing it all over. Just a little dab will do. A film canister sized jar (with remnants from several sticks) will last me for a month of travel. ymmv.
Thanks
Toothbrush cut to fit ziploc bag along with:
I handpack (very fast) Mitchum stick directly into empty chapstick tube. Full-sized tube last 28 days; mini lasts 10. Mitchum works better for me than any other deodorant, and I just consumed the stick I bought 7 Caminos ago, plus all other travel. I take small wide mouth vitamin bottle and fill it each day with liquid hand soap from restroom along the way. Works as laundry detergent, soap, shampoo. Vaseline, sunblock, toothpaste go into travel size tubes. load dentist sample floss container with roll from larger container. Mini-sewing kit a bit larger than postage stamp. Buzz cut gets trim in Santiago along with shave from disposable razor and cream I buy there at end. A few diarrhea, sleep and other pills in microziplocs. Wax earplugs, eye mask. I take no towel because Duluth boxers work better than REI microfleece towel.

One thing that this thread does, is point out the fact that everyone is different so such a great degree. I am an absolute minimalist but some people just cannot do without almost everything but the kitchen sink. I always laugh at those who cut off half of their toothbrush handle to save weight and then then carry half a kilo of unnecessary stuff. Keep the toothbrush whole. You need the whole handle to get a good grip one to get a good scrub. Well I do as I have false teeth. I have seen a couple of people in the bathroom trying to get to their back teeth with a toothbrush with about a 35mm (1 1/4") handle. It looks like something out of an old, overacted, silent comedy movie.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
One thing that this thread does, is point out the fact that everyone is different so such a great degree. I am an absolute minimalist but some people just cannot do without almost everything but the kitchen sink. I always laugh at those who cut off half of their toothbrush handle to save weight and then then carry half a kilo of unnecessary stuff. Keep the toothbrush whole. You need the whole handle to get a good grip one to get a good scrub. Well I do as I have false teeth. I have seen a couple of people in the bathroom trying to get to their back teeth with a toothbrush with about a 35mm (1 1/4") handle. It looks like something out of an old, overacted, silent comedy movie.
I cut the toothbrush to make it fit the ziploc. My pack is 10 lbs plus 2-1/2 more pounds when carrying water and food for a day. I am 61, still have all my teeth, and grip is fine.

I went with a large microfiber camp towel to save weight, but I love the Turkish peshtemal towels similar to this: https://www.amazon.com/WETCAT-Original-Turkish-Beach-Towel/dp/B07P6M9NVD/ref=sr_1_6?crid=20XI04QYMMNIP&keywords=turkish+beach+towel&qid=1642864079&sprefix=Turkish+,aps,79&sr=8-6
I can get away with wearing it while doing laundry and it feels much nicer than microfiber, dries quickly, and looks nice!
Thanks! They are lovely - light and bright. So after I spent a fair amount of time extensively assessing these, CACALA, DEMMEX and Sandy Cove brands as well as (seemingly) a thousand on Amazon and Etsy, I finally decided to buy this one: https://missapril.com.au/product/stonewashed-turkish-towel-blue/ Lightweight and bold blue, I can see myself using it, it was 'the one' for me. I am awaiting its delivery with some excitement! :)

Unless you are doing a very short camino, you are going to run out of most things. I guess soap (liquid or solid), toothpaste, and if you are particularly fastidious, deodorant plus tooth brush and sponge should do you. You can get them all in small containers both in Australia and Spain. And now, of course, hand sanitiser.

Drying = 400 x 900 mm micro-fibre towel - weight = 60 grams
Face = no treatment (not carrying an electric shaver and adaptors)
Hair = # 1 hair cut day before leaving
Nails = 2 x long emery boards - 1 x clippers (large for toes)
Soap = 100 ml all purpose detergent (Sea to Summit ex Bivouac)
Teeth = salt (teeth not original) (also used to season my rolled oats)

All up about 200 grams including soap container

Kia kaha

Thanks! They are lovely - light and bright. So after I spent a fair amount of time extensively assessing these, CACALA, DEMMEX and Sandy Cove brands as well as (seemingly) a thousand on Amazon and Etsy, I finally decided to buy this one: https://missapril.com.au/product/stonewashed-turkish-towel-blue/ Lightweight and bold blue, I can see myself using it, it was 'the one' for me. I am awaiting its delivery with some excitement! :)
WOW they're really expensive in Oz aren't they? That looks like one of the thicker ones, a bit slower to dry but just as versatile.

Deodorant Tip: If you are not fond of the scents offered try a few drops of your favorite essential oil on to an unscented deodorant and give it a little time to absorb . I myself love the scent of Lemon Grass oil, I put a few drops on my unscented Tom's deodorant and I'm a happy man. It seems to last a couple of months and the Tom's deodorant is sized smaller for travel.

WOW they're really expensive in Oz aren't they? That looks like one of the thicker ones, a bit slower to dry but just as

WOW they're really expensive in Oz aren't they? That looks like one of the thicker ones, a bit slower to dry but just as versatile.
So many things are more expensive in Australia. We live in paradise :) but we lack population density and geographic proximity. On a separate and lighter note, I'm thinking of naming my towel Bluey lol

"I think a bar of soap and tube of toothpaste would probably do for me". I brought a SMALL bottle of dr. Bonners soap...it lasted me and entire month!
Forgot the toothbrush...! always have a 'wad' of napkins / TP on hand from lodging night before....
I brought aspirin / ibuprofen... only used it 2x but was glad to have it on hand when some sort of sciatica thing showed up out of nowhere (prolly from all the walking)... it got me thru that crisis...don't bring a pocket pharmacia and worry.. if you need stuff larger towns have farmacia....
Don't over think the known 'unknowns' ie., i never used the lip balm i brought... you'll have to choose your main go-to items for yourself

Last edited:
They don't have to be... I bought my Turkish towel, same dimensions, perhaps a little thinner, from Ishka (Aussie 'exotic' goods retailer) for $7...but I guess @BeTheChange won't want to hear that now! 🤭
20220126_121915_copy_979x734.jpg
👣 🌏

I have a spreadsheet keeping an eye on weight. But of course you have to take what you need. There is no ideal weight target.
I will be taking an electric toothbrush (with a full length handle 😮), and I will be taking a battery massage gun, but not my usual one weighing 930 gms but a new travel one weighing 340 gms. Walking poles help carry the load.

I've never needed toilet paper on the trail. Just lucky.

Currently I carry a very small pair of (blunt ended - safe for the flight) scissors, tweezers, and needles (for piercing blisters), toothbrush, toothpaste (sample size from dentist), anti-perspirant deodorant in a small tin, tube of concentrated shampoo that doubles as shower gel, clothes washing, and hair, small factor 50 sunscreen, small tube 20 g of medical grade lanolin - it is actually nipple cream. Moisturises hands, feet, and rubbed between the palms works to smooth down and give a bit of a shine to my unruly hair. I also need (but others will not) saline nose spray (for the plane), moisturising eye drops, and reflux pills.

As others have pointed out, you can buy pretty much anything along the way. These are things that I've found over the years that I always use. Painkillers if I am not fit at the start, not if I've trained!

Oh, and I guess from now on I will have to add an N95 mask. Or two.

Soap is actively bad for hair though. It won't matter if your hair is short but people with longer hair may find that it leaves the hair rough and dull.

Thank you, @Moorwalker for the accurate and considerate reminder.

Soap will leave hair not *just* rough and dull, but inclined to tangle badly and then to break. Soap is difficult to rinse out of hair and often becomes just another thing for stuff to stick to and get wildly gross. People advised to take soap, who do so, and have fine hair or curly hair (or both) may easily end up sorely regretting it.

I’m sick of the moralizing about what people can do without.

We all take/pack what we need.
I *need* conditioner — I take it as a bar, and it doubles as shaving aid.
“Don’t shave your legs!” Someone will cry. ”That’s only for the vain!”
Who cares even IF it does come down to vanity?
If you are not carrying it, then it’s seriously not your problem, right?

€149,-
Absolutely!

And I've never complained of a too-heavy bag, nor shipped anything home. Somehow, even with all my stuff I come in at 12-13 pounds (depending on which shoes are my evening choice) with pack-weight included.

I do have a favourite 2-for-1 weight-saver though: tinted sunscreen. I am very lucky in that I just don't change colour in the sun. It's weird, and Spouse is jealous cuz he gets sunburnt under a desk lamp.

Anyway, it's my favourite thing in my kit because even if my face doesn't get darker, I still figure sun exposure in excess isn't healthy so:

(you can buy it lots of places, this link was just clear about the product).

If I use it all up, I will get this as a replacement in Spain:

They don't have to be... I bought my Turkish towel, same dimensions, perhaps a little thinner, from Ishka (Aussie 'exotic' goods retailer) for $7...but I guess @BeTheChange won't want to hear that now! 🤭
View attachment 117264
👣 🌏
Argh nooooo!! But seriously, I have received my towel and (thankfully, given the price) I LOVE it. So soft to the touch! So vibrant in colour! So light! The joy is real, people :)

Seeing as this thread is still going with 70+ posts, what’s one more?

In the months leading up to my first camino in 2011 there happened to be a local radio personality who was trialling a theory that if you don’t wash you hair so often (in his experiment, not at all for some months 😱) after a few days of feeling ‘yuk’ your hair will begin to regain its natural oils. I decided on my first camino to test this theory - at least in part. I only washed my hair about once a week - the other days I ‘rinsed’ it under the shower. I found that after just a couple of days my hair actually did improve in touch and even appearance. Go figure.

I’m not advocating this and I’m all for taking whatever you want - your camino, your backpack. But I have used this approach since to minimise toiletries. On the Frances and other popular routes it’s easy to buy shampoo etc along the way. On some other Caminos that’s not the case.

My French husband takes a different approach. He uses plain Savon de Marseilles for body, hair and clothes. Very efficient but I don’t like the feeling after soaping my hair. A good rinse works better for me.

So many options 😎

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I’m sick of the moralizing about what people can do without.

We all take/pack what we need.
I *need* conditioner — I take it as a bar, and it doubles as shaving aid.
“Don’t shave your legs!” Someone will cry. ”That’s only for the vain!”
Who cares even IF it does come down to vanity?
If you are not carrying it, then it’s seriously not your problem, right?
Ahh...the voice of reason! 🤗 I was chastised on trail because my lip balm was (& still is... 😉) of the tinted variety.
For me it's not about vanity either...it's doing whatever makes you feel positive & confident to step out into the unknown each morning & tackle whatever the day brings...which unfortunately includes critics & nay-sayers!
And yep, totally agree about soap as a hair product 😯...I recoil at the thought of the result to my crowning glory 👱‍♀️. Oh no!...is that vanity rearing its head?! 🤣
Happy trails one & all..& carry whatever ye wish! 😍
👣 🌏

Obviously a very popular topic...so let's not stop at one more & see just how much life it has!
...theory that if you don’t wash you hair so often (in his experiment, not at all for some months 😱) after a few days of feeling ‘yuk’ your hair will begin to regain its natural oils.
It's getting through the 'yuk' phase I'd struggle with.... 😣 😄
👣 🌏

In the months leading up to my first camino in 2011 there happened to be a local radio personality who was trialling a theory that if you don’t wash you hair so often (in his experiment, not at all for some months 😱) after a few days of feeling ‘yuk’ your hair will begin to regain its natural oils. I decided on my first camino to test this theory - at least in part. I only washed my hair about once a week - the other days I ‘rinsed’ it under the shower. I found that after just a couple of days my hair actually did improve in touch and even appearance. Go figure.

I have also read this and went for over a month (at home, not on the Camino) without using shampoo. I did use cheap conditioner to "cleanse" my hair. Indeed, after a few days my hair didn't "need" shampoo.
Since using a shampoo bar on my first Camino in 2016 that's all that I use now, and also a solid conditioner bar. I like that I'm not contributing as much in a small way to the over packaging of consumer products.
Ahh...the voice of reason! 🤗 I was chastised on trail because my lip balm was (& still is... 😉) of the tinted variety.
For me it's not about vanity either...it's doing whatever makes you feel positive & confident to step out into the unknown each morning & tackle whatever the day brings

My reaction to anyone who would chastise another pilgrim for using tinted lip balm is 🙄
Not only do I use tinted lip balm, I also use tinted sunscreen on my face and ::horrors:: I bring a small tube of mascara - I don't use it every day, but occasionally when I'm sightseeing in one of the larger cities on the Camino.

On my second Camino I walked off and on with a great group of women (we had all all started as solo peregrinas). It turns out that I wasn't the only one who had brought mascara - one afternoon when I met up with a couple of the other peregrinas they batted their mascared eyelashes at me. 😅

A selection of Camino Jewellery
On my second Camino I walked off and on with a great group of women (we had all all started as solo peregrinas). It turns out that I wasn't the only one who had brought mascara - one afternoon when I met up with a couple of the other peregrinas they batted their mascared eyelashes at
As The French say, ‘la vie est faite de petits bonheurs’. Life is made of small pleasures. 🥰

I have also read this and went for over a month (at home, not on the Camino) without using shampoo. I did use cheap conditioner to "cleanse" my hair. Indeed, after a few days my hair didn't "need" shampoo.
Since using a shampoo bar on my first Camino in 2016 that's all that I use now, and also a solid conditioner bar. I like that I'm not contributing as much in a small way to the over packaging of consumer products.
Firstly...what a woman...a month without washing your hair! 😁
I also wonder just how much of what we think we 'need' is a result of marketing. In Australia (I'm sure @anamcara will back me on this), shampoo & conditioner are very separate items & we (not everyone of course) buy both. I noted once I started travelling in Europe, that conditioner can be a tricky item to source. So when in Spain/Italy/France, I do as the Spanish/Italian/French do & just used shampoo. However on return home, that practice did not work...so there's something manufacturers for our market are adding/leaving out so we 'need' to buy the other product... 🤨
My reaction to anyone who would chastise another pilgrim for using tinted lip balm is 🙄
Not only do I use tinted lip balm, I also use tinted sunscreen on my face and ::horrors:: I bring a small tube of mascara - I don't use it every day, but occasionally when I'm sightseeing in one of the larger cities on the Camino.
Ok, now we're confessing...😇, I carry a sample-sized tube of concealer (15ml) & a thumbnail-sized pot of eyeshadow...just in case of a 'girlie' moment or occasion. No need to sport the 'trail look' all the time... 🤭 😘
👣🌏
It's taken me ages to write this post...there's a big thunderstorm ⛈ overhead & I have to keep putting down my device to block my ears after each lightning flash. 😲 But I digress...😆

At home I've been testing Dr. Bonner's Castille - Almond to use and have decided on it. I use it for hair, body, face (I'm female) and I've handwashed my clothes in it. It works very well and a few drops go a long way. It's a liquid, not a bar, but a very small bottle has lasted me a month so far. You definitely need a conditioner with it so I've saved one of the tube conditioners from my hair coloring. I have short hair so I think one tube will do the trip. I've also been testing a micro dish towel and it seems to work great. I paid $3.00 for it at Walmart. I might get a second smaller one for my hair separate.
My Dr Bronner's soap all leaked out into my pack. Make sure you put it in a zip lock bag or put it in a different bottle than it comes in. Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My Dr Bronner's all leaked out into my pack. Make sure you put it in a zip lock bag or use a different bottle from the one it comes in. Buen Camino!

I’m not advocating this and I’m all for taking whatever you want - your camino, your backpack. But I have used this approach since to minimise toiletries. On the Frances and other popular routes it’s easy to buy shampoo etc along the way. On some other Caminos that’s not the case.

My French husband takes a different approach. He uses plain Savon de Marseilles for body, hair and clothes. Very efficient but I don’t like the feeling after soaping my hair. A good rinse works better for me.

So many options 😎
Obviously a very popular topic...so let's not stop at one more & see just how much life it has!

It's getting through the 'yuk' phase I'd struggle with.... 😣 😄
👣 🌏
For some people anyway, the yuk phase never goes away — I know plenty of people on this “no hair washing thing” (as a faculty member on a campus whose primary “clients” are 18-24 years old)…. The unwashed hair is very *stinky*…. And *if* they are told they’ve gone nose-blind to the stink, well then they just put patchouli on top… which I (perhaps alone) find just another stink on to of the sort of rancid smell of old body oils (like old clothes at the Sally Anne).

Yes, I have read that just using condition can work -- the silocone in it binds to the fats in the hair oil and pulls that out without leaving the hair stripped.
I would give it a go on my next camino, but I do already have a shampoo bar that I intend to use as my body wash as well. And my conditioner bar is my shaving bar too.
What I don't really have is a method I like for carrying those items once they are wet. Last time I went I had each one in a small ziplock but it got gooey toward the end.
Anyone else have a better solution?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
What I don't really have is a method I like for carrying those items once they are wet. Last time I went I had each one in a small ziplock but it got gooey toward the end.
My shampoo bar goes into a mesh bag that I made, which I can hang up to dry with my laundry.
I also wrap a piece of a absorbent microfiber cloth around it before popping it into a zip lock bag. I wrap my conditioner bar in the microfiber too.

My shampoo bar goes into a mesh bag that I made, which I can hang up to dry with my laundry.
If you are not handy with a sewing machine, try using one of the little mesh bags that garlic comes in! Add a safety pin and piece of string to hang it up. You can even leave it in the bag while you scrub yourself - sort of like an exfoliator! But then your bar of soap tends to get mushed into the mesh and you are back to square one. (Can you tell that I have tried more than a few solutions to some of these important Camino challenges, and am still seeking?)

I also wrap a piece of a absorbent microfiber cloth around it before popping it into a zip lock bag. I wrap my conditioner bar in the microfiber too.
I think I have a mesh swim-goggle bag that will do the trick! and I can cut up that gawdawful camping towel as a microfibre absorbent cloth!

€46,-
I go two days without washing my hair on the Camino and at home. If I go three days it gets oily like a teenager (go figure🙄) and my head gets itchy.
On the Camino I bring a travel size 4oz. bottle filled with cheap shampoo and use it for everything; hair, body, clothing, and refill/replace when necessary. I do not color my hair so do not bother with conditioner while away. I do bring sunscreen, chapstick, and a lipstick for evenings out.🙂
Edit...ooops, and a small deodorant stick.

Last edited:
I have this internal debate going on about bringing my electric toothbrush. I have always just brought a lightweight toothbrush like most everyone else. But I do notice by the time I return home my teeth aren’t as clean as they usually are. My next Camino will be about 2 months long from LePuy to Santiago.

Has anyone else taken an electric toothbrush?
if you do, make sure it works on 220v

If you are not handy with a sewing machine, try using one of the little mesh bags that garlic comes in! Add a safety pin and piece of string to hang it up. You can even leave it in the bag while you scrub yourself - sort of like an exfoliator! But then your bar of soap tends to get mushed into the mesh

Do NOT use one of these multi-layered mesh bags - the soap or shampoo bar will be incorporated into all of the layers, you you won't be able to remove it!
mesh soap bag.JPG

If you buy something look for a single layer mesh bag, like this.

IMG_6853.jpeg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I do always take a new full-sized deodorant stick which never lasts me the whole Camino (because usually my husband is also wanting to use it after his runs out :mad:). I have only found the "stick" deodorants in Spain at El Corte Engles stores. I usually stop in Leon and look for one there since the store is not far off the Camino. (FYI, they also have reasonable lunches if you are tired of a Pilgrim Menu.) Otherwise I can usually only find the "roll on" deodorant everywhere else and it just feels icky🤮 to me, but to each his own...

We also have battery powered toothbrushes for camping in the US and for the Camino. (Oral B Pulsar) They are not as good as our heavier at home electric brushes, but better than a manual.

€149,-
Do NOT use one of these multi-layered mesh bags - the soap or shampoo bar will be incorporated into all of the layers, you you won't be able to remove it!
View attachment 117414

If you buy something look for a single layer mesh bag, like this.

View attachment 117415
A bit pricey, but these worked well for us and just fit a bar of Dr. Bronner’s

For some people anyway, the yuk phase never goes away — I know plenty of people on this “no hair washing thing” (as a faculty member on a campus whose primary “clients” are 18-24 years old)…. The unwashed hair is very *stinky*…. And *if* they are told they’ve gone nose-blind to the stink, well then they just put patchouli on top… which I (perhaps alone) find just another stink on to of the sort of rancid smell of old body oils (like old clothes at the Sally Anne).
This. I've encountered people who try to do the no soap or no shampoo thing and they all smelled like rancid sheep. You get used to your own smell and don't notice it.

This. I've encountered people who try to do the no soap or no shampoo thing and they all smelled like rancid sheep. You get used to your own smell and don't notice it.
I’m super-sensitive to odours… also highly allergic to scents. I really hope that people stop taking LUSH products on camino (and I get so ill anywhere near those stores in airports… also perfume counters etc). I can’t stay in hippy places with incense…
I have cancelled lectures because first year students ignore the “scent free” workplace and come in reeking of Axe.
But, yes, please use unscented *proper soap* and some kind of antiperspirant (unless you can’t because you are allergic/ have sensitive skin).
The idea that we are somehow dupes of Capitalism if we seek not to smell “like our natural selves” is just ideological bunk. There is a looooooooooong cultural and evolutionary history of humans seeking not to leave a scent trail behind.

It looks nice, but doesn't the bar of soap stay wet and never dry out when walking for weeks at a time?

I too was very dubious of the Matador soap case (not to mention its price) until I decided to buy one with some REI credit. It is nothing short of miraculous - you put in the soap fully wet from your shower and it somehow dries inside the bag without getting gloopy or transferring moisture to the rest of your toilet kit. (Matador also makes a larger minimalist toiletry case from the same material that works on the same principle.) I’ve been using it with bars of Dr. Bronner’s (which last for weeks when stored in the bag) but look forward to trying a LUSH shampoo bar for my upcoming Camino after seeing them recommended here.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Hola. While I am familiar with air travel restrictions on knives, I want to read your answers on carrying a small folding knife (Gerber Gear US1, (2.6 inch /6.6 cm blade)) in trains and buses in...
Hello. Having done the Portugese Central from Porto a few years ago, we will be doing the Frances from Leon this April. Searching the forums for footwear suggestions, we (wife and I) decided on...
I couldn't find any posts about this topic on the forum (first time that's ever happened) so I thought I'd ask... It always seemed to me that wringing hand-washed clothes never works very well...
Hi All, I am completing the Camino Ingles in April. I have just bought hiking trainers, as I find walking boots very heavy on my little, old feet. Hpwever, I am worried about conditions, with...
Hello, I will be doing El Camino from Sarria to Santiago this May 13 for the first time. I tend to twist my ankles in uneven surfaces and to easily slip on slippery surfaces. I have some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.