• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Packing Toiletries for Lightweight Travel on the Camino de Santiago

Bar of soap to clean hair, body and clothes. Toothpaste and toothbrush are needed. Very few places had toilet paper so I took a few individual packed Dude wipes and was great full that I had many times. A small comb, if you have hair. I am bald so did not need other than for my beard.
I am not listing medical items as that is so individual dependent.

Attachments

• FDF475FF-5458-44AB-A750-DE9E426491EB.jpeg
    FDF475FF-5458-44AB-A750-DE9E426491EB.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 5
Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Browsing, I saw these nickle size compressed towels, pack much smaller than a roll of TP. May be good for a pit-wipe too but IDK if they wrk in real life.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08QQ9M8FD/?tag=casaivar02-20

I have my doubts. I have started carrying washable, re-usable cloth towels made for this purpose, and a personal portable bidet. I can fill the little bidet bottle with any old water, and a used cloth goes into a zip-lock until I get home from a day hike) or to destination (on a thru-hike). I've never had to use them for "more serious business" as I'm as reliable as a clock as far as such things go. But I have tested the concept at home, and one does not end up with a mucky towelette, so I don't see a problem carrying such. The bidet has the added benefit of providing enough water for a quick hand-wash/rinse. Can verify that these are very practical IRL.

Last edited by a moderator:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Browsing, I saw these nickle size compressed towels, pack much smaller than a roll of TP. May be good for a pit-wipe too but IDK if they wrk in real life.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08QQ9M8FD/?tag=casaivar02-20
I have bought some like these for camping in the past. You have to get them wet before you can use them and then they don't go back to the compressed size. On the other hand, I have kept and actually washed these in the washing machine and they have lasted more than one camping trip. For my money it is just as good to take a handsized camping towel which is more durable.

Currently researching Turkish towels and would greatly appreciate any advice from experienced pilgrims on size and brands etc. Ideally, I want a lightweight, multipurpose towel that lifts my spirit with its quality and colour! I am happy to pay for such a thing, if it exists?!
I used a Turkish Towel of the hand towel size for my Camino Frances. The hand towel size saved quite a bit of weight (I bought both the full size and hand towel size and tried out both prior to heading out on the trail).
The hand towel was big enough to dry body and hair followed by a predry of washed clothing before hanging (roll up clothes in towel and squeeze). Normally while on Camino, you finish walking for the day, take a shower, and then wash your walking clothes. Thus the dry body/hair/clothing routine.

The hand size towel is not large enough to use as a sarong/body covering but it does drying duty quite well. It weighs less than larger sizes and dries very quickly. You can safety pin it to your pack if you need to dry it after morning use.

The towel I used is by Cacaia via www.pestemal.com or Amazon. It is the 20"x32" size. Lots of great colors available.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm trying to figure out a system for reaching toiletries while in an albergue shower. I'm trying to avoid having to put things on the floor. I don't love my ultralight toiletry bag but if I can't find anything better, I'll take it. Can anyone recommend a hanging one that doesn't weigh much?

Somewhere ages ago I read about the value of bringing an S hook for the shower, but I didn't make a note of how wide the diameter needs to be to fit. Anyone know?

I'm also looking for lidded containers for a couple of products I need to bring, that don't weigh much and hold close to 3 oz. I don't like squeeze bottles because it always seems like I cannot get the full amount of product out of it. All the ones I have found only seem to hold 1 oz.

It wasn't mentioned in this thread but a super lightweight reusable grocery style bag is super useful. You can keep your clean clothes dry until you put them on, and then use them to carry the dirty clothes to the laundry washing area. And then use it again when you head to a bar for dinner as a place to hold those valuables you don't want to leave in the albergue, and for a quick run to the local market for lunch and snacks for the next day. I have one from ikea that weighs 38 g, and I also use it as my personal item when flying.

Another alternative to a towel is a pareo. I own two and I think each of them weighs somewhere around 2ish oz. they're big, they dry quickly, and they can double as a privacy curtain in a busy albergue if you have a bottom bunk. I only take a second one because of my hair, not something everyone would need.

HiBar is a brand of bar style shampoo and conditioner that I've tested out after Lush thrashed my hair the last time, and so far, so good. I have wavy/curly hair and the frizz factor...well, if you know you know. HiBar is a good alternative if Lush doesn't work well for you.

I'm trying to figure out a system for reaching toiletries while in an albergue shower. I'm trying to avoid having to put things on the floor. I don't love my ultralight toiletry bag but if I can't find anything better, I'll take it. Can anyone recommend a hanging one that doesn't weigh much?

I'm going to make something like this with some paracord and lighter plastic clips. I put my shampoo bar in a mesh bag with drawstring, and I'm going drill a hole in the handle of my razor and the brush that I use to brush the tangles out of my wet hair and put a string on them that I can clip onto the line. I'll have velcro at the top, because sometimes there's nothing to loop around - some shower heads barely stick out from the wall.
Another alternative to a towel is a pareo. I own two and I think each of them weighs somewhere around 2ish oz.
2 ish ounces? Is that typo? I have some rayon pareos that weigh about 7 ounces.
I took one on my Camino del Norte, and it was working fine until the night that I used it as a curtain and then forgot to take it off the bunk. Hopefully, another pilgrim made good use of my pretty turquoise pareo.😊

I'm going to make something like this with some paracord and lighter plastic clips. I put my shampoo bar in a mesh bag with drawstring, and I'm going drill a hole in the handle of my razor and the brush that I use to brush the tangles out of my wet hair and put a string on them that I can clip onto the line. I'll have velcro at the top, because sometimes there's nothing to loop around - some shower heads barely stick out from the wall.

2 ish ounces? Is that typo? I have some rayon pareos that weigh about 7 ounces.
I took one on my Camino del Norte, and it was working fine until the night that I used it as a curtain and then forgot to take it off the bunk. Hopefully, another pilgrim made good use of my pretty turquoise pareo.😊

Could be. I've been weighing stuff all afternoon and my head is starting to spin. lol

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If it really is 2ish ounces I want to know the brand!

I'm pretty sure I picked them up on amazon. The one I took in '17 ended up ripping when it was wet and hooked onto something when I was carrying it (not wearing it lol). I really like the option. They weigh so much less than my turkish towel without being tiny.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
If you are into zip lock bags then take some empty ones so that when you use that toilet paper you can pick it (and anything else) up and take it to the nearest town with a rubbish bin rather than leaving it on the trail.
Or, bring a small roll of "dog-poo bags" for that purpose (lightweight and available from any pet supplies shop).

Somewhere ages ago I read about the value of bringing an S hook for the shower, but I didn't make a note of how wide the diameter needs to be to fit. Anyone know?

I'm also looking for lidded containers for a couple of products I need to bring, that don't weigh much and hold close to 3 oz. I don't like squeeze bottles because it always seems like I cannot get the full amount of product out of it. All the ones I have found only seem to hold 1 oz.

It wasn't mentioned in this thread but a super lightweight reusable grocery style bag is super useful. You can keep your clean clothes dry until you put them on, and then use them to carry the dirty clothes to the laundry washing area. And then use it again when you head to a bar for dinner as a place to hold those valuables you don't want to leave in the albergue, and for a quick run to the local market for lunch and snacks for the next day. I have one from ikea that weighs 38 g, and I also use it as my personal item when flying.

Another alternative to a towel is a pareo. I own two and I think each of them weighs somewhere around 2ish oz. they're big, they dry quickly, and they can double as a privacy curtain in a busy albergue if you have a bottom bunk. I only take a second one because of my hair, not something everyone would need.

HiBar is a brand of bar style shampoo and conditioner that I've tested out after Lush thrashed my hair the last time, and so far, so good. I have wavy/curly hair and the frizz factor...well, if you know you know. HiBar is a good alternative if Lush doesn't work well for you.
Is a pareo and a sarong the same thing?

I think so? Not sure. I dropped one of my pareos in favor of a buff to wrap up my hair. Much lighter.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Good morning (from Australia-:))
I’m wondering what others pack in the way of toiletries when considering weight?)
Planning on heading off from SJPP late April … first time and looking forward to the walk.
Thanks
The night before my flight my heavy toiletry kit was drastically paired down. I took my prescriptions in zip locks, my deodorant out of case into zip lock, small container of sunscreen, nail clippers, twizzers, a couple band aids, moleskin, small folding light weight scissors. I kept a small mascara (luxury item) and coloured chapstick. I got the weight down by at least half. I took only a few Advil, 2 Benadryl, 2 anti diarrhea meds. It was still more than I needed. There are well stocked pharmacies most places on the Camino Frances.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Good morning (from Australia-:))
I’m wondering what others pack in the way of toiletries when considering weight?)
Planning on heading off from SJPP late April … first time and looking forward to the walk.
Thanks
I carry a needle for blisters and sewing. Since I use toothfloss, I carry a needle that fits the floss.

In addition to the basics listed above by C clearly carry anti-diarrhea medicine. There is nothing worse than diarrhea on the trail first thing in the cold morning air kms from any pharmacy.
😂 Definitely a few Pepto Bismo.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Last year I did a shampoo bar for hair, body, and laundry plus sunscreen, toothpaste and deodorant. I also had a little "travel size" roll of toilet paper. I ended up not liking the shampoo bar that much for my hair - so when I did stay in hotels I saved the mini shampoo bottles and made them last as long as possible. Never had to buy any toiletries along the way. Also had a toothbrush/tiny hair brush, nail clippers, safety pins (for hanging laundry and when sterilized for piercing a blister). Didn't bring any makeup.

This time I have packed regular soap, toothpaste, deodorant, shampoo, sunscreen, travel size toilet paper roll. I also have mouthwash and laundry detergent sheets that I may or may not bring - and am willing to dump. Also have a toothbrush/tiny hairbrush/safety pins/nail clippers. I might bring mascara, eye shadow, and eye liner.

And then - pertinent prescription medications, ibuprofen, benadryl, and a couple tiny antibiotic cream packets. And a few basic first aid supplies like compeed. But a very small kit.

Soap berries/nuts for washing clothes. They weigh so little they barely register unless I use a digital scale. I take 12 with me on 6 week camino. I use them in batches of 3 and each batch lasts me several loads -- you pitch them out when they start to fall apart. I carry them in a swim googles mesh bag so they can dry in the day while hanging off my pack.

I do not carry flip-flops because I think that are a sure way to break my neck. Instead I take a small tube of clomotrazole 1% and use that after the shower to kill off anything that might have been in the showers.

If you have really fine hair, take a conditioner bar as well as a shampoo bar. (both "dry" they weigh very little and will last the whole journey). If you have the kind of hair that never ever tangles (mine makes a bird's nest of itself if I so much as lift the towel off the wrong way), then don't worry about conditioner. But seriously, I tried on my first trip to treat it as "an extra" and lived to regret everything that had led me to that decision. ON the upside: conditioner doubles as shaving emollient.

The rest: same as above comments.

Can you recommend a digital scale? The ones I'm looking at get inconsistent reviews. Maybe it doesn't matter if it's just a few bucks, but it'll matter on my back if the weight varies...

Can you recommend a digital scale? The ones I'm looking at get inconsistent reviews. Maybe it doesn't matter if it's just a few bucks, but it'll matter on my back if the weight varies...
I have a Taylor kitchen scale from Costco. It seems very accurate to me.
I like that it will weigh up to 30 lbs. When I want to weigh my entire backpack I put a laundry basket on the scale, tare the scale, then add my backpack.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@trecile did you make it? How were you planning to use the velcro (wouldn't you still need something to loop it around)?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I brought travel sized items - everything you need is easy to get when its time to replace.

Most read last week in this forum

Hola. While I am familiar with air travel restrictions on knives, I want to read your answers on carrying a small folding knife (Gerber Gear US1, (2.6 inch /6.6 cm blade)) in trains and buses in...
I couldn't find any posts about this topic on the forum (first time that's ever happened) so I thought I'd ask... It always seemed to me that wringing hand-washed clothes never works very well...
Hello. Having done the Portugese Central from Porto a few years ago, we will be doing the Frances from Leon this April. Searching the forums for footwear suggestions, we (wife and I) decided on...
Hi All, I am completing the Camino Ingles in April. I have just bought hiking trainers, as I find walking boots very heavy on my little, old feet. Hpwever, I am worried about conditions, with...
Hello, I will be doing El Camino from Sarria to Santiago this May 13 for the first time. I tend to twist my ankles in uneven surfaces and to easily slip on slippery surfaces. I have some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.