• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Toledo to Madrid

LesBrass

Likes Walking
Time of past OR future Camino
yes...
I'm in planning mode... dreaming of my next long walk. 2019 is in my sights and I have a few ideas (too many really) but I have so many questions.

Has anyone walked from the Camino Levante on to the Camino Madrid? My thinking is maybe to walk from Valencia to Toledo and then divert to the Madrid? But... does this jump mean I miss some of the best of the Levante? Is this a mad idea?

There are so many experts out there I'm sure someone will know :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm in planning mode... dreaming of my next long walk. 2019 is in my sights and I have a few ideas (too many really) but I have so many questions.

Has anyone walked from the Camino Levante on to the Camino Madrid? My thinking is maybe to walk from Valencia to Toledo and then divert to the Madrid? But... does this jump mean I miss some of the best of the Levante? Is this a mad idea?

Usually it's the other way around people changing from Madrid to Levante/Sureste. I haven't walked Toledo to Avila on Levante yet but I know that's the hillier part of the whole route to Zamora (not counting in Sanabres). That's what you will miss. And of course Avila.

As I know the closest Madrid and Levante get is between Villeguillo (Madrid) and Medina del Campo (Levante) - 30km if you go through Olmedo which is 20km from Villeguillo. I didn't find any AG roads that runs parallel to asphalt road and also because of time constraints it will be taxi for this 30km stretch.

What I would like to do someday is to walk part of the GR14 or Senda del Duero (http://www.lasendadelduero.com/rutas-por-el-duero/sendero-gr-14/) which connects Puente Duero (Madrid) with Tordesillas (Sureste) or even further to the west Castronuno (Levante) and Zamora (VdlP).

Yes, if you do that you will miss those few but beautiful mountain days between Toledo and Avila. Since you are a hard core camino addict, @LesBrass, I see no need for you to cut and paste your caminos, just do the entire Levante it is wonderful. The Madrid is a good getaway for when you have a few weeks and can walk Madrid to Sahagún, since I know you have the luxury of popping down from France. ;) I know, I know, you will "have" to repeat the Sanabrés from Zamora, but you could do the alternative from Zamora that goes via Braganza if you have a rule against repeats!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
@KinkyOne thanks for the link! And for the information. @peregrina2000 I was just thinking exactly the same after reading Kinky's post... perhaps it wasn't a good idea was all I managed to think before reading your post... which makes perfect sense.

I'll go look up all of those suggestions now (on my new map) and start a new spreadsheet... I'm not complaining but there is a lot of choice isn't there :)

In 2016 my friend walked VdlP Portugues backwards on his way from Santiago and he was very pleased to take it. If he found the way to Zamora I guess it's even easier to find it in "the right" direction :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
ahah... myself and Grace and joked (dreamed) about maybe walking camino together one day... I will have to ask her! :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Hi ... this is not a bad Idea, even though, the way to Avila is ( hilly ) beautiful..and from Avíla even more beautiful. Me and my wife, made the Camino de Levante /Sureste from Avíla ( means we walked to Benavente not Zamora) and than to Astorga and .. on to Ponferrada, an' from Ponferrada on the Camino de Invierno ( 2014)..some amaizing 1250 k"m.

We also plan to start 2020 in Toledo ..and walk from Toledo to Madrid and on to Oviedo and from ther on the Primitivo..When we were in Toledo I noted that thers some path/a Camino system calls Camino de Gudalupe..

http://zinaztli.blogspot.com/2011/04/camino-real-de-guadalupe-madrid.html and

We have got the adea from to man from Holland, that we met 2014 when we walked on the brigde to the old city of Toledo, (foto).. They ask us if we saw the waymarks to Madrid..and we speak for some minuts.. ...the second foto is from Avíla, wich you going to miss if you take on to Madrid..and the third on...from the way to Benavente....but i guess that this path is beautiful too..👣;)🙏

Attachments

• DSC_0377.JPG
    DSC_0377.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 2
  • DSC_0606.JPG
    DSC_0606.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 2
  • DSC_0685.JPG
    DSC_0685.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 2
@ngm thank you for the information... I'd forgotten about that thread. I've since decided to walk from Madrid to Santiago (as you are planning) as I only have 5 weeks holiday in 2019... The Levante is still very much on my wish list... but it's a very long wish list now!

Happy planning :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

For Camino's in Spain see: http://u.osmfr.org/m/247056/ openstreet map of caminos in spain and portugal.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
OSMAnd has most of these Caminos already inside. Just switch to hiking view to see them.
What you don't see can be downloaded from u.osmfr.org and probabably from that dutch site that claims to have one gpx for all caminos in Spain.
I'm not sure if these tracks qualify for puting them in the OSM database, but if you bring your own GPS tracks it is a valid source. Adding some some simple data like albergues via Website is very easy for you and already helpful for others. Putting in an entire camino takes some time and should be done with additional tools.

For checks of OSM data (wether the way is included or not) I prefer to use https://hiking.waymarkedtrails.org on a PC with a bigger monitor. If you want, all available routes can be downloaded as gpx.

Not sure if there's any interest left in this thread, but it's kind of surprising that there isn't an extension of the CdM to Toledo; it was the medieval capital so I would have guessed that there would have been a traditional route from there to Santiago that moved away from the Avila route as Madrid became more prominent.

Looking at that map it seems like to go from Toledo to Madrid would mean first travelling west to Novés, then north to Madrid via Fuensalida. Looking at google maps though, there seems to be a plausible route ( a mix of dirt and road) going through Recas and Grinon, about 75km.

Back